UnevenEdge

Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex HD Rerun Discussion

Blatch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon viewing of tonight's episode, it seems my thoughts on this show are in fact bipolar.

Visually speaking, I was watching this on a smaller 27" TV in my room (in comparison to the 47" in the basement I was using last week) and there's a MASSIVE difference in how I perceived the picture. Like...holy shit. I'll say it's because the proto-HD resolution holds up better when not blown up for a bigger size screen, but god damn this looked nice.

Episode's much better than last (default since this episode's one of my favorites in SAC 1); more things going on, more action, an ending that finishes on a bitter note. Good shit. Just sucks how this show's first episode is such a flaccid bummer and there's many more like it in this series.

The heck? The show was made in SD. They must have filtered the living shit out of it for that then.

Yeah, it's a really impressive job considering the show's age. Also helped by the art style and how despite being a digi-paint show it didn't require a lot of actual sub-HD CG.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/fullmetal-alchemist/blu-ray-complete-series-collector-edition/.96283

Really looking forward to seeing how Wolf's Rain's new blu-ray comes out very soon.

Man, it's good having these shows coming back (Bebop's is so good too).

It's not impossible.  I have the Criterion Collection blu-ray version of Gojira and it looks clear as crystal.

That's film. Film is scannable to a theoretically infinite resolution.

When it comes to things shot or drawn digitally, the resolution can only go as high as what it was originally shot or rendered in. Most anime between 2000 and 2006 (including FMA) were rendered in 480p. Any remaster done to it thus can only give the illusion of being HD by adding a ton of filters, de-aliasing, and upscaling. Sometimes this practice can work really well (FMA looks to be one of these cases). Other times it could look like total shit.

That's film. Film is scannable to a theoretically infinite resolution.

When it comes to things shot or drawn digitally, the resolution can only go as high as what it was originally shot or rendered in. Most anime between 2000 and 2006 (including FMA) were rendered in 480p. Any remaster done to it thus can only give the illusion of being HD by adding a ton of filters, de-aliasing, and upscaling. Sometimes this practice can work really well (FMA looks to be one of these cases). Other times it could look like total shit.

Yeah, I've heard that before and I'm calling bullshit.  I now own several anime series on both Blu-ray and DVD that were from that time period.  And in all but one of them, you can tell a clear difference in video quality.  And on the one that you can't tell a difference in, you can tell they didn't care about the release because there were other problems beside video quality, basic stuff they should have gotten right and they didn't.

If you want to talk semantics of how it was achieved... I don't see the point.  Does it really matter how they got that video quality so good?