UnevenEdge

Toonami Off-Topic Thread 1.5

PokeNirvash

Got bored so I went out and saw the MHA movie. Holy fuck have movies gotten expensive, ticket drink and popcorn were $30. As anime movies go it was good just not $30. I don't know if it was an ADR issue or just my theater, but the dialogue was kinda fucked. Like everyone sounded like they were speaking in a near whisper for the first half of the film. I don't know if I just got used to it, or if they fixed the audio midway through. It never sounded like voices were much above a low hush; and if things were happening in the background you couldn't hear anything. The whole theater was dead silent though the whole film, which was very different compared to the DBZ movie which had a lively "urban" audience who would give goku a lot of helpful advice during the movie. The only annoying thing about the audience in this film was the one guy and girl in my row had to alternate getting up and walking past me like 8x throughout the film. It was actually surprising after a while. To be fair though the film had a lot of dead moments that were good times to go to the bathroom or get a drink. I feel like what was happening was that they had a spare cup and were stealing free refills. One person bought the drink goes into the theater dumps the drink into their partners cup, then the partner goes out and refills the cup again to not raise suspicion, The perfect crime! 

First part of the film felt extra slow. It felt like 20mins of the film were montages or establishing shots. The fights were okay, the shield thing got repetitive after a while though they were still good. The movie is kinda spoilers if you haven't read the manga. I think Bakugo may have had the most lines in the film. Never really said anything important, but he did talk. I swear that 95% of everything deku says was an inner monologue or telling the kids, Bakugo or Uraraka to do something. I felt like the other bad guys were kinda more interesting than the main bad guy. We really didn't get to focus on their fights much because we had to watch a guy use a yellow shield for 40mins. The plan also felt too elementary as evil plans go. To create a Darwinist society just seemed dumb by this point. It at least tried harder than the broly movie did, but the last MHA film had a much better plot going on. Then again the last film kinda stole it's plot from Die Hard, so hard to go wrong when you're copying a beloved christmas classic. Some of the cast got shafted to the side hard. Toru the invisible girl may have been the only one in the whole class who was 100% useless. Her shining moment in the film is to try and call for help from her cell, but she couldn't get a call out. Everyone else had at least some hand in the battles. 

• Like 1

In their latest attempt to draw on the festering anger of anime fans pissed off at the <1% of FUNimation's dub output using "woke" slang and and feminist lingo, Sankaku Complex has drawn to attention to a scene in Sentai's recent (read: out in a month) dub of To Love-Ru where a character uses the phrase "misogynistic" unironically.

https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2020/03/07/sentai-filmworks-allegedly-takes-after-funimation-changes-dialogue-in-to-love-ru/

Even if I was part of the group who thinks these occasional dub dialogue changes are the worst thing to happen to anime since Hand Shakers, I think it's some extreme reaching that they're going after Sentai, a company notorious for making random dub changes of their own, especially back when they were known as ADV Films, in an attempt to stir up their far-right commenter base. But for what it's worth, I managed to vent my frustrations over this hot bullshit into writing my own original vs. FUNi-style dialogue exchange for a future written work, accessible under the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler

"You seem awfully confident, thinking you can take down three girls at once. You really shouldn’t underestimate our abilities, pig."

"Don’t go around assuming that I think you’re weak. Male, female, muscular, lithe, we don’t discriminate on any basis. A criminal’s a criminal, as simple as that. You three committed some serious crimes, so it’s our job as policemen to ensure that you pay for what you’ve done. So, are you gonna come with us quietly, or will we have to use force?"

"You bastard…"

"You seem awfully confident, thinking you can take down three girls at once. You shouldn’t underestimate us, you misogynist pig."

"Don’t go around using words you don’t understand. Your victims I’m trying to save by doing this are female too, you know. That’s as far from misogyny as it gets. No matter who you are or what you believe in, it’s our job as policemen to bring criminals like you to justice. So, are you gonna come with us quietly, or will we have to use force?"

"You hypocrite…"

Edited by PokeNirvash

In fairness, I modeled it more after the usual reactions you three would have to me responding positively to something ecchi and/or contrarian to popular opinion; you're disturbed, TG's disturbed and horrified, and Queen's two steps away from bludgeoning me with something. And also the fact that Foley's been gone for seven months and I'm starting to get kind of concerned.

Based on your self-description, if I had to peg you as any Golden Wind character, I'd choose Mista.

Edited by PokeNirvash

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While we're on the topic of the Pussycats, am I the only one who thinks Ragdoll got robbed and robbed hard? She has a great design and a fun personality, but all she gets, in terms of the anime, is a handful of lines in one episode before being relegated to just a living example to demonstrate All for One's Quirk-stealing ability. Easily my biggest problem with season 3 right there, and the only reason I'm not as frustrated with it as I could be is that I was expecting Tiger to have way less dialogue and screentime, and the opposite proving true was a pleasant surprise.

Honestly, the fandom did Ragdoll one better with that comic where she uses her Quirk to learn All Might's weakness (out of curiosity from the group as a whole) and decides to keep what she finds to herself.

Edited by PokeNirvash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Earlier today, I paid a visit to the nearby Half Price Books, and in their paltry anime section, they had all four singles for Reign: The Conqueror's DVD release.

In what's easily my most questionable purchasing decision to date, I bought and now own those four singles.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, anyone remember that original anime idea I used to annoy everyone with back in my early days as an ASMBer? Well, the first chapter of its attempted final rewrite is now available for your reading pleasure as a pilot script (of sorts).

You don't have to read it if you don't want to, but I'd really appreciate it if you did.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

People think Oscar nominations are bad for animation, check out this nonsense - 

In a world where Arcane exists, it wasn't even nominated.  Neither was Invincible, which is especially insulting considering what was.  Fuck, no Castlevania?

Big Mouth, Q-Force (the gay parody of spy shows that had the same level of gay jokes as Will and Grace), Bob's Burgers, and The Great North, AKA the usual Fox vomit.

• 3 months later...