UnevenEdge

Toonami Off-Topic Thread 1.5

PokeNirvash

• 1 month later...

Okay but the theme park area is barely related to the new trilogy aside from having a few Meet & Greets with the characters. They made the stupid decision to set it in a brand new planet that has no basis in canon instead of any of the places that fans are already familiar with. The headline attraction is a Millennium Falcon ride that's more tied to the original trilogy than the sequels from what I've heard.

Also, this shit happens with Disney parks damn near every time they open something big. They overhype it as a huge event that's guaranteed to draw hundreds of thousands of people for the grand opening, and that scares off a lot customers. It happened with Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, California Adventure, and now Galaxy's Edge. Their mistake was assuming that people love Star Wars enough to put up with what they assumed would be even worse than normal Disney crowds, and clearly those people took one look at that idea and said "Nah, I'll wait."

• Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars is still a big franchise. It's just that being slightly less successful than before is interpreted as a cue that the sky is falling, when it's mostly just capitalists being mad they can't pad out their gluttonous ledgers. Don't think like that.

I do agree with the point in the article about there being too much Star Wars shit. For a franchise that will have as many movies in four years as it did in its first twenty-five, it's easy to get burned out. We've hit peak Star Wars! No wonder Disney is cutting back on it a bit, whether it be movies, cartoons, or whatever else. Maybe you should take a break from ingesting all of these cynical takes about how the franchise is ruined forever, because there's still a lot of it to enjoy.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Blatch said:

As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars is still a big franchise. It's just that being slightly less successful than before is interpreted as a cue that the sky is falling, when it's mostly just capitalists being mad they can't pad out their gluttonous ledgers. Don't think like that.

I do agree with the point in the article about there being too much Star Wars shit. For a franchise that will have as many movies in four years as it did in its first twenty-five, it's easy to get burned out. We've hit peak Star Wars! No wonder Disney is cutting back on it a bit, whether it be movies, cartoons, or whatever else. Maybe you should take a break from ingesting all of these cynical takes about how the franchise is ruined forever, because there's still a lot of it to enjoy.

Slightly less successful? Slightly? It was the biggest Franchise ever and now it's not even on Harry Potters level.

I seem to remember saying something about TLJ torpedoing the franchise a while back and well.... here we are =P

On 8/9/2019 at 4:38 AM, elfie said:

So many Disney films make at least a billion now, it's no longer headline-worthy. It's no longer a surprise.

Wanna know a movie that made more than The Last Jedi? 

Fast and the Furious 7. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Slightly less successful? Slightly? It was the biggest Franchise ever and now it's not even on Harry Potters level.

I seem to remember saying something about TLJ torpedoing the franchise a while back and well.... here we are =P

But you think the franchise screwed itself because they messed up how space battles work. There are lots of other people who kindly disagree and/or don't care, so the least I can do is trail off on that point. 🙂

There's no telling how well The Rise of Skywalker will do, but I think people will be more willing to go see it after a small break from the franchise and it'll do very well. It might even make over a billion dollars (let alone as much as The Last Jedi), and any major IP would kill for that kind of success.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blatch said:

But you think the franchise screwed itself because they messed up how space battles work. There are lots of other people who kindly disagree and/or don't care, so the least I can do is trail off on that point. 🙂

There's no telling how well The Rise of Skywalker will do, but I think people will be more willing to go see it after a small break from the franchise and it'll do very well. It might even make over a billion dollars (let alone as much as The Last Jedi), and any major IP would kill for that kind of success.

Uh, the space battles, the characters, the plot, the history.... ya know.. everything? We all wish it was just the space battles. 😃

Making a billion dollars isn't a success for a massive franchise anymore. No one even had strong feelings about the new Lion King remake and it made a billion dollars. Are we actually at the point now where "Furious" and "Harry Potter" are bigger franchises than Star Wars?

The Phantom Menace made a billion dollars.... in 1999. Rogue 1 made a billion dollars.

Disney was banking on The Force Awakens level of success, 2 billion and then massive toy sales on top of it. Spin off movies, vIdeo games, cartoons, theme parks, live action TV shows.. everything.

Solo flopped, the theme park flopped, the toy sales are almost non existent, the cartoon is cancelled after 2 seasons. They scrapped pretty much all of their spin off movies.

Is it really that hard to admit that TLJ was a massive misstep that is now costing them billions of dollars?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's easy to be disillusioned by the divisions in a fandom as large as Star Wars, but at the end of the day, you don't have to feel a connection to what anyone else says. Some people like the direction the franchise has taken for the same reasons others (like Daos) think it's ruined, and yet all of these opinions are valid. We just mustn't be rude about it.

TLJ's controversial nature might be part of why its franchise has hit the skids, but I stand by my original point that overexposure is also to blame. Maybe if Disney wanted to make more SW stuff because they knew there were cool stories to be told in its galaxy, rather than weaponizing it as a means to try and swallow up the whole American film industry, some of the divides among fans would be healed.

Edited by Blatch

But again.. this whole "Star Wars Fatigue" thing was just trotted out after the Last Jedi.

But why no Marvel Fatigue? Why no Fast and the Furious Fatigue?

Is it possible.... just hypothetically.... that even though you liked it.... TLJ wasn't actually a good movie and the fatigue is actually more related to a large amount of people not liking it?

https://dorksideoftheforce.com/2019/04/14/star-wars-fatigue-vs-marvel-fatigue/

On 8/16/2019 at 6:33 PM, Daos said:

But again.. this whole "Star Wars Fatigue" thing was just trotted out after the Last Jedi.

But why no Marvel Fatigue? Why no Fast and the Furious Fatigue?

Marvel is a company that's used to trotting out multiple movies (and big ones, of course) per year. It's how they've operated for more than a decade now. It also helps that they've slowly ramped up production, from six movies over the course of 2008-12 to six movies in just over the last eighteen months. F&F can also be relied upon for putting out a movie every other year. But for a franchise that went much longer between films until 2016, it's easy to be overwhelmed at the thought of movies in consecutive years.

There's not much else I can say about this, so I guess I'll just start to sympathize with your point (as shown when I quickly edited my last post). TLJ probably did turn some people off on Star Wars, but I doubt the franchise is going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

You people are still arguing about TLJ?

Jfc this has become nerdom's Israel vs. Palestine.

Shutup before I retake the Golan Heights. And when I do .. I'll have the...

HIGH GROUND

• 1 month later...

So I was on a day trip to Chillicothe with my parents today, celebrating my birthday week, and we stopped at a winery in east Ross County. Not only were they playing "Last Train Home" as background music, but they even had the image of the Stardust Crusaders photo on the TV as it was playing. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL, LET ME TELL YOU.

Also, thanks to their impeccable taste in music, I'm now interested in this artist called Plini.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I was browsing /co/ tonight and took a look inside a nomination thread for a little competition they're holding to see which Western animation industry individual is the biggest douche, fittingly named after the South Park episode "Biggest Douche in the Universe". And guess which two anime VAs got "nominated" back-to-back?

297821103_TakashiFujishimaandYumeKuribayashiTogetheratLast.thumb.PNG.0a43bf8d02c0b445b91371312f66341c.PNG

I disagree with both of these for various reasons - Blum is far from being a douche no matter his political retweets, and I can't just bring myself to dislike Monica no matter her purported actions during the whole Mignogna incident - but for both these posts to be next to one another is pretty interesting, considering they're [as]/Toonami anime dub stalwarts.

But mostly, it's because they're the headcanon VAs for two of my favorite OCs and this coincidential sequencing was too good to pass over.

Edited by PokeNirvash
I hope you're downvoting 4chan and not me for bringing attention to them, Elfie. Same goes for you, Ben.
  • Like 1
  • D'oh 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the Sonic movie yesterday.

They had a cool SEGA logo at the beginning with all these screens of SEGA games footage, and rings used on the Paramount logo.

It was not the most earth-shattering thing I've ever seen, but it was a fun movie.

Sonic looked great. And there were some legit laugh out loud moments. When Sonic and the cop dude go to the biker/hot rodder/cowboy bar it is hilarious.

Sonic eats chili dogs!

I suppose there could have been more spectacle, but maybe they wanted to not go so crazy for the first movie, since they were introducing everything. (It seems obvious there will be a sequel.)

Jim Carrey was full Jim Carrey! :D

When Tom asks Sonic what he is, he says he's a hedgehog, isn't it obvious? :D

Spoiler

There is a crazy guy in the town who says there is a "blue devil" (Sonic) and no one believes him, and his drawing is of Sanic. :D

There were some nice references to the games.

Spoiler

The town of Green Hills, obviously. When Robotnik blows a fuse in his mobile tractor trailor lab, there is a switch labeled "Badniks." When Sonic falls from the TransAmerica Tower, he drops his bag of warp rings, and gathers them back up when he lands and gets back up, sort of like taking a hit in the games. Sonic mockingly calls Robotnik "Eggman" a couple times, sort of like would happen in the old cartoon and comics.

I have no idea about the Longclaw owl character, if maybe she is one of the games I haven't played or cartoon I haven't seen. She has a realistic design going by Sonic standards. Was hoping those huts would be Knothole Village, but no such luck. But, the asshole tribe that was after Sonic were clearly echidna. And Tails showed up right at the end was awesome!

Robotnik ends up marooned on the mushroom planet (reference to Mushroom Hill?) and is going crazy. He has a stone he throws around and talks to (named after his assistant Agent Stone who is still back on Earth.) :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I saw the Sonic movie yesterday.

They had a cool SEGA logo at the beginning with all these screens of SEGA games footage, and rings used on the Paramount logo.

It was not the most earth-shattering thing I've ever seen, but it was a fun movie.

Sonic looked great. And there were some legit laugh out loud moments. When Sonic and the cop dude go to the biker/hot rodder/cowboy bar it is hilarious.

Sonic eats chili dogs!

I suppose there could have been more spectacle, but maybe they wanted to not go so crazy for the first movie, since they were introducing everything. (It seems obvious there will be a sequel.)

Jim Carrey was full Jim Carrey! :D

When Tom asks Sonic what he is, he says he's a hedgehog, isn't it obvious? :D

Reveal hidden contents

There is a crazy guy in the town who says there is a "blue devil" (Sonic) and no one believes him, and his drawing is of Sanic. :D

There were some nice references to the games.

Reveal hidden contents

The town of Green Hills, obviously. When Robotnik blows a fuse in his mobile tractor trailor lab, there is a switch labeled "Badniks." When Sonic falls from the TransAmerica Tower, he drops his bag of warp rings, and gathers them back up when he lands and gets back up, sort of like taking a hit in the games. Sonic mockingly calls Robotnik "Eggman" a couple times, sort of like would happen in the old cartoon and comics.

I have no idea about the Longclaw owl character, if maybe she is one of the games I haven't played or cartoon I haven't seen. She has a realistic design going by Sonic standards. Was hoping those huts would be Knothole Village, but no such luck. But, the asshole tribe that was after Sonic were clearly echidna. And Tails showed up right at the end was awesome!

Robotnik ends up marooned on the mushroom planet (reference to Mushroom Hill?) and is going crazy. He has a stone he throws around and talks to (named after his assistant Agent Stone who is still back on Earth.) :D

I agree with all this. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. There were still a lot of the cringey "animated ugly character goes to our real world and oh hahaha look he doesn't UNDERSTAND anything in this world!" stuff, but it was less of it.

I really hope SEGA makes more movies. The opening SEGA logo, which clearly influenced by the Marvel Studios one, was still like seeing a dream become a reality.

And my theater cheered and applauded when Tails appeared!

Edited by elfie

Saw the Hero Academia movie. There are pros and cons.

Pro: That final fight was some ridiculous shit, but god damn it was a fantastic watch.
Con: Slutty Vault Boy is sadly absent
Pro: Hello, hero boyfriend #6:

Spoiler

I'm gonna fuck the bird twink.

ERjSCJgU0AAE9y5.jpg:large

Edited by EmpressAngel

8 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Saw the Hero Academia movie. There are pros and cons.

Pro: That final fight was some ridiculous shit, but god damn it was a fantastic watch.
Con: Slutty Vault Boy is sadly absent
Pro: Hello, hero boyfriend #6:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm gonna fuck the bird twink.

ERjSCJgU0AAE9y5.jpg:large

I thought about seeing it last night, but I looked at seating availability and the theater was packed aside from the 10:30 show. Was tired though by 8 and didn't really feel like I could pay attention for that long so I passed. Today they have it showing in standard seating which will at least be cheaper. Last night it was only shown in the luxury seating which is an extra $6 for a slightly better chair.    

6 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Technically a waifu, but whatever.

Hero rankings don't make the most sense. Like Fat Gum despite being chosen for the Yakuza mission and being in the inner circle for a lot of undercover missions is ranked I think 55. The pussycats I think are in the 400's. Really I don't know how Best Jeanist is ranked so high. It's weird because they keep changing the criteria for ranks. Like Mt. Lady, Midnight, and Deku have have brought up that a lot of it is popularity votes, and Deku brought up that the pussycats were mostly popular with children because sentai. Though then there are Heroes like Endevor who everyone seems to at best indifferent towards if not dislike. So that would show that it isn't as much popularity and heroic acts themselves are graded separately from public exposure. 

Current_Hero_Rankings.png