UnevenEdge

Creative Chatter

Raptorpat

Suppose you could go ahead and merge a few threads in right off the bat?

https://unevenedge.com/topic/21745-i-just-finished-outlining-the-final-two-works-in-my-x-men-fanfiction-saga/

https://unevenedge.com/topic/21301-my-friend-is-doing-comissions/

https://unevenedge.com/topic/10464-drawing-with-skinner-featuring-buzz-from-the-melvins/

Yeas i realize those are mostly my threads.

Also the deviant art thread should probably also be pinned.

So. When im writing a story i find it really helps with the diologue to get into the head of the character, try to feel the emotions theyre feeling at the moment, acting out their facial movements.

The fact that the majority of my characters spend their time either angry or annoyed often makes my girlfriend ask me if im ok as i sit typing with an angry expession and the ocassional scoff.

Not sure if this goes here but one of my stories submitted to Washington Square Review got a personal rejection, which -- for a publication run by NYU's MFA -- feels pretty darned good. (For those who don't know, a personal rejection means they really liked it, but chose something else). It's been rejected like all year, but persistence persistence persistence. 

• Like 3

I pretty much always start with a very basic five-movement structure, and my process is very linear. Not because it's the most freeing method, but because writing from start to finish keeps my attention on loose ends and missing factors. It also allows me to sense which parts need more, which parts can be cut, and what the general rhythm of the piece is.

• Like 2

I believe I remember using a five-movement structure to create a few stories in the past. Mostly for classes and when everyone's making bland dry crap because college I felt I had to...Usually stuff I like , and find interesting even after finishing it, editing it etc. was written in the same fashion sponges described though. I still havent even figured out if I want to write a narrative or fiction, try some poetry or what so I'm not feeling very good about anything I might submit looking at the competition..

• 3 weeks later...

So I just ran the math, and it looks like when I'm writing I spend an average of 2 seconds deciding and typing each word.

Now I probably did the math wrong- shit, I did; the five hours per 2500 words doesn't include outlining and various other miscellaneous tasks undergone during the five-hour stretch of writing (switching out laundry or dishwasher, taking the dog out and feeding her, etc.).

Goddamn math was never my strong suit. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/24/2017 at 6:18 PM, Bouvre said:

Not sure if this goes here but one of my stories submitted to Washington Square Review got a personal rejection, which -- for a publication run by NYU's MFA -- feels pretty darned good. (For those who don't know, a personal rejection means they really liked it, but chose something else). It's been rejected like all year, but persistence persistence persistence. 

Similarly, one of my pieces was turned down very gently by Slice, which is again one of those magazines I'm dying to get my work into because it's gorgeous and has hosted many of my favorite writers.

https://slicemagazine.org/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found that I was immensely discouraged after one of my pitches was rejected. I had submitted a story to [as] on several ocassions, with varying degrees of failure. But the one with Cartoon Hangover just gutted me. We had been corresponding for 6 months straight, like 1-2 emails each, a day, sometimes. When we finally submitted the finished pitch we got rejected within minutes which means it wasn't read all the way through. 

I've resigned to just doing everything myself. Hopefully in the coming months I will finally have something to show for it, and to share here. 

Edited by GunStarHero
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, GunStarHero said:

I found that I was immensely discouraged after one of my pitches was rejected. I had submitted a story to [as] on several ocassions, with varying degrees of failure. But the one with Cartoon Hangover just gutted me. We had been corresponding for 6 months straight, like 1-2 emails each, a day, sometimes. When we finally submitted the finished pitch we got rejected within minutes which means it wasn't read all the way through. 

I've resigned to just doing everything myself. Hopefully in the coming months I will finally have something to show for it, and to share here. 

Rejection is rough. When I was working as an editor I solicited a submission from a writer I greatly admire and envy. And in the end the other two editors passed on what she decided to send us for the journal's consideration. It can be a very rough process, submitting and pitching, and its even worse when publishers show interest and pull the rug out from under you at thr last minute.

Still, sometimes it takes more luck than most people realize, and that it got so far with Cartoon Hangover, even as correspondence, is super impressive. I'm excited to see what comes of this in the near future!

1 hour ago, Bouvre said:

Rejection is rough. When I was working as an editor I solicited a submission from a writer I greatly admire and envy. And in the end the other two editors passed on what she decided to send us for the journal's consideration. It can be a very rough process, submitting and pitching, and its even worse when publishers show interest and pull the rug out from under you at thr last minute.

Still, sometimes it takes more luck than most people realize, and that it got so far with Cartoon Hangover, even as correspondence, is super impressive. I'm excited to see what comes of this in the near future!

The project I submitted to [as] and Cartoon Hangover is in limbo. If I made that one myself, I'd rather have it animated. The one I'll be showing on here is a different story altogether and will not be animated. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/12/2018 at 1:09 PM, Bouvre said:

Finally sent off my novel manuscript to be considered for publication by a small press I really admire. I'm very nervous but very hopeful.

Didn't even make the finalists, but onward and onward, sending it out elsewhere. One of my flash fiction pieces will be published in September. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/20/2017 at 3:31 PM, SorceressPol said:

I say a lot of my dialogue out loud which is why it's hard for me to work when other people are home.

In Arts & Literature, I was just about to ask if any posters ever read their writing aloud to hear how it sounds.

Whenever I'm in the middle of proofreading, revising, and editing, I always read my work aloud.

Although, I sometimes try to not read too loudly because I don't want anyone thinking I just sit around talking to myself. I especially try reading the dialogues to my stories quieter, including the narration for "The Horrors Of Womanhood." 

For that particular story, I think will make the narrator's rant about women in the beginning longer to show just how angry and psychotic he really is as misogynistic gynecologist/serial killer.😂

It wouldn't surprise me if other posters are reading this and are saying, "OMG! I can't believe she just said that!"😱

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

In Arts & Literature, I was just about to ask if any posters ever read their writing aloud to hear how it sounds.

Whenever I'm in the middle of proofreading, revising, and editing, I always read my work aloud.

Same. I see the intent of a rhythm as absolutely crucial.

• Like 1

I don't, but I reread my stuff sometimes to make sure everything looks good. With my current story (accessible via the first link in my sig), I reread the Word Doc before saving it to PDF, and then I reread the PDF the day before I post it. But if there's one thing regarding my written works I do out loud, it's self-discussing the plot and how I want certain scenes to go, which I mostly do while driving in my car.

• Like 1

Since I was busy earlier, I haven't started working on my revisions again yet today.

However, I still have more ideas popping up in my head regarding what to do with the dialogue. Maybe I will work on it later tonight or early in the morning.

There's another story, which has been backburned on/off for the last 6 years, that is the opposite of the story I previously mentioned.

Even though it is a Psychological Thriller/Horror Story, I don't know how long it will be.

It will definitely be longer than the others but I don't know if it will be a long story, novel, or novelette.

It's more of a Valentine's Day Themed Horror Story. The protagonist is a jilted, scornful woman, who exacts her revenge on all her exes and those, who were friends of her high school crush.

In the beginning of that story, the protagonist has her old, high school crush held captive and tied up in her basement, while he begs to be released.

As her crush begs to be released, she forces him to sit and listen to all the atrocities she had to endure regarding her love life.

This includes forcing him to listen to everything his asshole friends said and did to her, during high school and their class reunion.

Also, urban legends are being added to this story and the protagonist will be colluding with her so-called BFF.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

On 3/27/2018 at 2:50 PM, GunStarHero said:

I found that I was immensely discouraged after one of my pitches was rejected. I had submitted a story to [as] on several ocassions, with varying degrees of failure.

Considering the way Adult Swim treats their own employees, writers, and fans, you're much better off submitting your work where it will be appreciated and respected.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but maybe some arts and crafts people can help me...

Anyone know where I can get GOOD quality "blank" baseball style caps to buy online? My intention is to get a band logo patch sewn onto it. I already have the patch.

Don't want anything too cheap that'll look ragged in a couple years.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost my desire to work too hard on my creativity a year ago, when I worked too hard on it and burned myself out on it and my mother died. I've had writer's block from overwork and too much success since February 2018. 

From then it was all downhill.

I was successful in the publishing world for a while, but it was a while until my book sales dept had any activity 

On 12/2/2018 at 10:50 PM, PurgatoryGirl said:

Considering the way Adult Swim treats their own employees, writers, and fans, you're much better off submitting your work where it will be appreciated and respected.

mm-hmm. That's very true. TV producers can often be quite abusive to their staffs. 

TV used to be a place young creative types could go after college to get paid of respected. But that only happens to people like you or me when the industry is healthy and successful. It's not at all, not like 30 years ago

YouTube's a pretty safe alternative. So is Kindle, but one's for filmmaking, one's for books and comics.

Existence in general is kind of at a low point. As is human socialization. Money in my life is better than it used to be. But that could always use work in my life

Edited by Spindack