UnevenEdge

If you lost your main source of income...got laid off or went out of business

fuggnificent

Absolutely. There's no shame in social safety nets, despite what conservatives want you to believe.

In every other first world country, things like that are a given.

I've been laid off a couple times, and the first thing I do is go apply for unemployment and food stamps - even if I have a job offer lined up to move to anyways. It never hurts to be prepared.

Absolutely. There's no shame in social safety nets, despite what conservatives want you to believe.

In every other first world country, things like that are a given.

I've been laid off a couple times, and the first thing I do is go apply for unemployment and food stamps - even if I have a job offer lined up to move to anyways. It never hurts to be prepared.

How long did it take you to get unemployment? I haven't been unemployed since i was in my early 20s...i always have the next job lined up but this job ended extremely unexpectedly and during peak season, too.

I've had to think about it in the past. There is nothing wrong with utilizing social programs in order to help you get back on your feet faster so you don't need those programs anymore. So if I absolutely had to, I probably would. And if I had a kid, I definitely would if only to ensure they eat. I know I'd apply to local animal shelters for kibble and litter handouts no question. Kids and pets rely on their 'parent' to keep them fed and warm.

But the local Dollar Tree actually has a decent selection of food and I learned very early on how to live on very little food when I have to. Hell, in college my grocery bills in the summer were around $30 per month thanks to a Cheap Foods [sadly they've closed now] . There were even a few months where it was maybe $10 but I can't say I ate very well those particular months. -.-;

I've had to think about it in the past. There is nothing wrong with utilizing social programs in order to help you get back on your feet faster so you don't need those programs anymore. So if I absolutely had to, I probably would. And if I had a kid, I definitely would if only to ensure they eat. I know I'd apply to local animal shelters for kibble and litter handouts no question. Kids and pets rely on their 'parent' to keep them fed and warm.

But the local Dollar Tree actually has a decent selection of food and I learned very early on how to live on very little food when I have to. Hell, in college my grocery bills in the summer were around $30 per month thanks to a Cheap Foods [sadly they've closed now] . There were even a few months where it was maybe $10 but I can't say I ate very well those particular months. -.-;

i went ahead and applied for EBT and got approved for hundreds of dollars a month. way more than i spend. so i am looking up recipes to try out. our problem is we like to eat out a lot.

Jesus F dude. :( So sorry. Laid off sucks.

i didnt want to say because people here wish me bad luck... but everyday i was out of work i got 2-3 call backs just from posting my resume on careerbuilder. the job market is saturated as fuck right now. i actually had two job interviews today. KN will be fine... he has way more qualifications than me.

i went ahead and applied for EBT and got approved for hundreds of dollars a month. way more than i spend. so i am looking up recipes to try out. our problem is we like to eat out a lot.

Slow cooker. Invest in one. Seriously. It's like a mini buffet on your kitchen counter complete with warm happy food smells.

I have two different recipes, one for beef stew and the other for chicken-in-the-pot, that each share a butt-ton of the same ingredients. On long fall and winter weekends, I'll make a bunch of one or the other depending on what the store had and freeze it. Just find some slow cooker recipes that you like and freeze extra for later to stretch your food budget.

i didnt want to say because people here wish me bad luck... but everyday i was out of work i got 2-3 call backs just from posting my resume on careerbuilder. the job market is saturated as fuck right now. i actually had two job interviews today. KN will be fine... he has way more qualifications than me.

I have no doubt he'll be fine. He's got solid coding credentials going for him and 'mental' jobs are always going to be in demand somewhere. It's merely the psychological aspect of suddenly getting laid off that can leave lingering scars. I still get pissy in Januarys and I've been at this job for almost 12 years now. He'll do fine, he'll also have an entire weekend to rage and get drunk if necessary because arf it.

Slow cooker. Invest in one. Seriously. It's like a mini buffet on your kitchen counter complete with warm happy food smells.

I have two different recipes, one for beef stew and the other for chicken-in-the-pot, that each share a butt-ton of the same ingredients. On long fall and winter weekends, I'll make a bunch of one or the other depending on what the store had and freeze it. Just find some slow cooker recipes that you like and freeze extra for later to stretch your food budget.

we have more food money than we need coming now. i subscribed to yummly to search through it and find some new recipes. i wont have a job for one more month so i guess ill be spending that time in the kitchen.

I mean, if I couldn't get anything else I would. Food stamps are fine, I don't think I'd need them for a while though.

That and I seem to be on a winning streak with the job search. I seem to be in the running for 2/2 applications. Just sent in another, and if I get that one I'm bailing on the first 2.

Surely someone with your expertise can work with a more stable company, no?

Yeah, but it comes with caveats.

Mainly, being incredibly bored.

I worked for a big financial firm a while back and it was mind numbing. I was working with technology that should have been retired a decade ago, mainly just patching security holes in an API for banks.

Not only is that boring as hell, but my newer skills atrophy and go without practice, leaving me eventually out of work.

I mean, if I couldn't get anything else I would. Food stamps are fine, I don't think I'd need them for a while though.

That and I seem to be on a winning streak with the job search. I seem to be in the running for 2/2 applications. Just sent in another, and if I get that one I'm bailing on the first 2.

Speaking of which, I keep getting replies even from the best options.

I didn't plan on risking success. How am I accidentally nailing it? Halp! whut