UnevenEdge

As threatened, live action Sword Art Online has writer and showrunners in place

Jman

The anime is terrible, so this adaption doesn't much to live up to. If they are as unfaithful as possible it has a lot of room to be better.

I mean if we're being optimistic

they could easily change absolutely everything and actually make it good

but I doubt it

You never know, it could be good!  And with all the timeskips in the Aincrad Arc and things that weren't shown, they could mine that arc for quite a while!

Besides, with a show, they probably have to put more effort in than a movie, right?  Show needs to stay good to stay successful.  With a movie it's one and done.  If it word of mouth spreads that it's bad hey at least they made some money off opening weekend off the name value.  They're going to be out a lot of time, money, and effort if a show isn't received well.

You never know, it could be good!  And with all the timeskips in the Aincrad Arc and things that weren't shown, they could mine that arc for quite a while!

Besides, with a show, they probably have to put more effort in than a movie, right?  Show needs to stay good to stay successful.  With a movie it's one and done.  If it word of mouth spreads that it's bad hey at least they made some money off opening weekend off the name value.  They're going to be out a lot of time, money, and effort if a show isn't received well.

And here I thought that you would be the one most put off by an SAO live action show.

SAO Live Action isn't going to be aimed at the same fanbase the anime was.  If I had to guess, they're going to change a good number of things about the show in order to make it appeal more to a general audience.  They'll probably ramp up the sex factor in the show, make the characters a lot more angsty, Americanize everyone, and just overall make the show a lot more dramatic.  That alone would keep people watching, even if the show is absolute drek.

And here I thought that you would be the one most put off by an SAO live action show.

SAO Live Action isn't going to be aimed at the same fanbase the anime was.  If I had to guess, they're going to change a good number of things about the show in order to make it appeal more to a general audience.  They'll probably ramp up the sex factor in the show, make the characters a lot more angsty, Americanize everyone, and just overall make the show a lot more dramatic.  That alone would keep people watching, even if the show is absolute drek.

How can the sex factor be ramped even further than it already is? :D Hmm, well there is some angst already, but I don't want Kirito to turn into Kaneki.  Don't know if they will Americanize everyone or not.  I mean it is an MMO so there is nothing saying it has to be all Japanese people, and Agil was American.  You know, getting back to all the time skips and whatnot, they could spend a decent amount of time on the guild that Kirito was a member of that got wiped out that made him become a loner, instead of just the ep or 2 they got in the anime.  There's boundless possibilities!  There was already a decent amount of drama, but plenty of lighthearted stuff too.  So yeah hopefully they don't make it too dramatic.  But, the writer is basically a Reki fangirl, so how bad it could be?!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/sword-art-online-japanese-anime-916389

According to Skydance, its potential live-action series will follow "a brilliant young beta tester Kirito and his group of friends when they are trapped — alongside 10,000 other people — in a next-generation virtual reality online role-playing game. The game is a world unto itself: filled with sword fighting, monsters, magic and mystery, where the stakes are life and death. Kirito and an ensemble of diverse characters must fight their way through this hostile environment while making lives for themselves in the fantastical world that is Sword Art Online."

As part of Skydance's plan, the company plans to launch an SAO virtual reality experience through the company's interactive arm.

“At Skydance we are in the business of world-building and SAO is a massive pop-culture phenomenon from which we plan to launch a full-scale and wide-ranging set of live-action franchise extensions across our business verticals, beginning with television,” Skydance Media CEO Ellison said. “We look forward to working alongside Laeta, Reki Kawahara and the teams at Kadokawa and Aniplex to build out a deeply immersive new universe of SAO in an authentic way that honors its well-established fan base around the globe.”

“For years I have been inspired by the inventive and masterful storytelling of the SAO franchise,” Kalogridis said. “I’m thrilled to get the opportunity to work with such talented partners to bring this cutting-edge yet timeless story to a new format at Skydance.”

=3

To be fair, putting even a little thought into the drama could improve it greatly. America has a tendency of focusing on "big" drama, which is one thing the original put too little focus on.

The whole concept is about escaping from a MMO that will actually kill the player, but it doesn't do much with the idea in favor of petty, often completely idiotic squabbles.  Like nobody wanting beta testers because they'll get the best items.... you know, in a game that can actually kill them, they want to not give the best items to the most instrumental people to their survival..... -_' but that's where the drama goes. It'd be fine focusing on smaller relationship drama, in fact I'd prefer it, if it weren't so unbearably stupid. If an American version cuts that kind of bullshit and focuses on character development [as opposed to all character progression occuring in between episodes] or even just ignores the idiotic conflicts in favor of big dumb 'splosions, it'd actually be less insufferable/boring.

It's not difficult to improve on something like SAO. Will they? Probably not. But it wouldn't be difficult.

It really depends who actually gets it.  If CW gets it, there’s gonna be a lot more sex, a lot more bullshit teen romance, an original character who becomes a fan favorite and eventually annoys everyone, and maybe a crossover with Arrow.

Freeform will up the teen angst, but will also probably up the humor.  People will call Kirito, or Carl, on his bullshit.

It really depends who actually gets it.  If CW gets it, there’s gonna be a lot more sex, a lot more bullshit teen romance, an original character who becomes a fan favorite and eventually annoys everyone, and maybe a crossover with Arrow.

Freeform will up the teen angst, but will also probably up the humor.  People will call Kirito, or Carl, on his bullshit.

see if they did all that stuff it'd actually be watchable which I why I doubt that's gonna happen

To be fair, putting even a little thought into the drama could improve it greatly. America has a tendency of focusing on "big" drama, which is one thing the original put too little focus on.

The whole concept is about escaping from a MMO that will actually kill the player, but it doesn't do much with the idea in favor of petty, often completely idiotic squabbles.  Like nobody wanting beta testers because they'll get the best items.... you know, in a game that can actually kill them, they want to not give the best items to the most instrumental people to their survival..... -_' but that's where the drama goes. It'd be fine focusing on smaller relationship drama, in fact I'd prefer it, if it weren't so unbearably stupid. If an American version cuts that kind of bullshit and focuses on character development [as opposed to all character progression occuring in between episodes] or even just ignores the idiotic conflicts in favor of big dumb 'splosions, it'd actually be less insufferable/boring.

It's not difficult to improve on something like SAO. Will they? Probably not. But it wouldn't be difficult.

Because people always behave rationally and logically right?  Especially in such situations?  And to be fair a dedicated group of people to clear the games formed later, while the other who were unable or unwilling to fight just sat it out and tried to make a life in the game world until if/when they got out.  I agree with the time skip issues and character progression during them, though.  Lots of clunkiness to that Aincrad arc that could be cleaned up.

Ah, this I agree with.  I immediately assumed that it was going to go to CW.  It would definitely be done better elsewhere.

Because people always behave rationally and logically right?  Especially in such situations?  And to be fair a dedicated group of people to clear the games formed later, while the other who were unable or unwilling to fight just sat it out and tried to make a life in the game world until if/when they got out.  I agree with the time skip issues and character progression during them, though.  Lots of clunkiness to that Aincrad arc that could be cleaned up.

I'd be fine with people acting irrationally as long as someone calls them out for it.  There's always gonna be people who will panic in a given situation, and people who will remain calm and think it through.  I just prefer that the latter calls the former out on it.

Also, I definitely agree that it would be interesting seeing all the stuff that happened in between episodes.  As much as I enjoyed Aincrad, that would make for a much more interesting story than Tentacle loli.

Not that they have to act rationally so much as there has to be some logic to irrationality and unless it's a secluded setting with a small cast to play off, the irrationality shouldn't be the accepted worldview - with some exceptions that SAO doesn't really match.

Like a fantasy or sci-fi setting may get away with wonky world logic if it matches the greater fictionalized society. But SAO takes place in a not-so-distant future of our world. The future setting is only there to give VR a larger place than we currently have, it's not really implied to be much different than our own. Yet the beta tester=bad line of thought appears to be accepted as reasonable.

Methinks nobody questions it not because the characters are intended to be irrational. Rather, nobody questions it because the author thought it was rational.

SAO could easily air in its current form on The CW, so there's zero surprise if it goes there.

That’s actually my train of thought about why it would air there:

Bullshit teen romance?  Check.

Really annoying female lead?  (Felicity!) Check.

Tackling issue in a really awkward way?  (Supergirl handling the coming out of a character incredibly clunky when both Arrow and the Flash had prominent non stereotypical gay characters).  Check.

People acting like dumbasses to serve the plot, rather than the plot being interesting when they act rational?  Check.

Not that they have to act rationally so much as there has to be some logic to irrationality and unless it's a secluded setting with a small cast to play off, the irrationality shouldn't be the accepted worldview - with some exceptions that SAO doesn't really match.

Like a fantasy or sci-fi setting may get away with wonky world logic if it matches the greater fictionalized society. But SAO takes place in a not-so-distant future of our world. The future setting is only there to give VR a larger place than we currently have, it's not really implied to be much different than our own. Yet the beta tester=bad line of thought appears to be accepted as reasonable.

Methinks nobody questions it not because the characters are intended to be irrational. Rather, nobody questions it because the author thought it was rational.

SAO immediately falls to pieces in the first episode when you stop and ask yourself how a VR headset with a FUCKING MICROWAVE EMITTER made it anywhere near the market.

SAO immediately falls to pieces in the first episode when you stop and ask yourself how a VR headset with a FUCKING MICROWAVE EMITTER made it anywhere near the market.

Accordingly that's because the company somehow managed to hide that all the way through developmemt and release.

But despite the fact it's not public knowledge, the families of anyone stuck in the game all determined the best course of action was to hospitalize. Without removing the headgear. The headgear they didn't know was dangerous. That's how they don't die after years of imprisonment.

I mean, the hospitalization is absent from the anime, but the alternative we're presented with makes less sense. Apparently comas make life sustainable for multiple years without food or water.

This show is stupid. :|

Well to be fair, supposedly a few people tried removing their family members nervegear and it killed them.... so word spread quickly that you shouldn't try to take it off. In reality, probably half the people in there would have died before everyone got that message.

Wait how is hospitalization absent from the anime? They're all taken to the hospital and put on life support

Well to be fair, supposedly a few people tried removing their family members nervegear and it killed them.... so word spread quickly that you shouldn't try to take it off. In reality, probably half the people in there would have died before everyone got that message.

Wait how is hospitalization absent from the anime? They're all taken to the hospital and put on life support

Was it in the anime? I dropped the show toward the end of Aincrad since it was too boring to laugh at most the time. I asked a friend about how they survived for years and he'd said said the LN explained it (poorly), but the anime didn't.

Then again, that friends isn't the sharpest knife in the power outlet. Wouldn't be shocking if he got it wrong. ?

Yeah all that stuff was in the anime....I mean, after Kirito wakes up, the scene is him wandering out of his hospital room with an IV still in him looking emaciated.

The final episode of S1 takes place in Asuna's hospital room.

If you want the real nonsense from SAO watch Ordinal Scale. Nothing in that movie makes the slightest bit of sense.

This is quite tempting.  Is there a dub for it yet, or is it still sub only?  I don't care much either way but if I need to read subtitles I prefer to not be drunk when I do it.

There is a dub.

... I didn't see the movie, but I am familiar with the limits of augmented reality, and I can make guesses as to what they wholly got wrong about it.

This is quite tempting.  Is there a dub for it yet, or is it still sub only?  I don't care much either way but if I need to read subtitles I prefer to not be drunk when I do it.

I think the dub is going to play in US theaters in LA soon, so there's not even a bootleg dub of it yet available.

And yeah they messed up the augmented reality pretty bad. Unlike actually being inside a video game, augmented reality isn't going to let you jump 20 feet in the air or feel the impacts from getting hit by spells/ swords.

The main villain's motivation and plan are completely stupid.

The worst part is that unlike the fast paced series..... Ordinal Scale is kind of boring. At 2 hours long it really drags.

The art and animation are top notch though. The final fight is pretty good even if it doesn't make any sense.

So basically, it's a 2 hour filler episode that looks really good.

Augmented reality does match the viewpoint you aim your screen at, but it's still only existing on a goddamn SCREEN! IT'S NOT REAL! IT CANNOT BEND THE RULES OF THE REAL WORLD!!!

You mean if an imaginary monster swings his 10 foot sword at me I don't go flying backwards???

Will I still be able to jump off tall buildings and do flippy flips?

How would Ordinal Scale be like if they played it like an actual augmented reality game?? Kinda boring to watch, I tell ya. A bunch of nerds just sitting and pushing buttons on their phones for one long hour and a half shot!!

http://gamehubs.com/article.php?id=4-cool-things-we-could-experience-if-sword-art-online:-ordinal-scales-ar-game-existed But like all fantasy anime, the writers take the route of creating a made up enhanced version of the gameplay, in this case where players use a new headset called Augma that brings elements of the game into the real world via .... some digital projection bullshit. Clearly they want to show you that this isn't just some regular AR game that exists.  Because writing for fantasy is HARD when you need to create a far-out tech idea that doesn't sound like an excuse to do whatever you want!  Thankfully, this article delves into the analysis of how a game like this would have to be treated. The players would need to know where they're be fighting beforehand so they can close the streets, and citizens around them would need to be shown police flyers about where not to enter, like a film shoot! Can you touch stuff?? Of so, how?? What happens if you encounter unruly players who can have real weapons and defeat you, causing a hate crime? Definitely not an adventurous story, and I hear this movie doesn't explain most of this.

I think the dub is going to play in US theaters in LA soon, so there's not even a bootleg dub of it yet available.

And yeah they messed up the augmented reality pretty bad. Unlike actually being inside a video game, augmented reality isn't going to let you jump 20 feet in the air or feel the impacts from getting hit by spells/ swords.

The main villain's motivation and plan are completely stupid.

The worst part is that unlike the fast paced series..... Ordinal Scale is kind of boring. At 2 hours long it really drags.

The art and animation are top notch though. The final fight is pretty good even if it doesn't make any sense.

So basically, it's a 2 hour filler episode that looks really good.

The series was fast paced?

I thought it was largely boring. It was too sluggish in unloading stupidity to be any fun to watch.

Whoa sir... sir.... according to your mal thing the only movie you need to be watching is The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

How could you watch the show and then not watch the movie that's way better? TSK

The series was fast paced?

I thought it was largely boring. It was too sluggish in unloading stupidity to be any fun to watch.

Ummm yeah, I mean the thing people rip S1 for the most was Aincrad being rushed with massive time skips and then stopping before hitting level 100. Though oddly.... despite being rushed some of the episodes feel a lot like filler, so I can see why it would bore some people.

Alfheim gets ripped for turning Asuna into a damsel in distress, the lack of stakes in the virtual world where no one actually dies anymore, and all the rape and incest.

Ummm yeah, I mean the thing people rip S1 for the most was Aincrad being rushed with massive time skips and then stopping before hitting level 100. Though oddly.... despite being rushed some of the episodes feel a lot like filler, so I can see why it would bore some people.

Alfheim gets ripped for turning Asuna into a damsel in distress, the lack of stakes in the virtual world where no one actually dies anymore, and all the rape and incest.

That's not really a matter of fast pacing.

If you look at the episode content individually, they're painfully dull.

That’s actually my train of thought about why it would air there:

Bullshit teen romance?  Check.

Really annoying female lead?  (Felicity!) Check.

Tackling issue in a really awkward way?  (Supergirl handling the coming out of a character incredibly clunky when both Arrow and the Flash had prominent non stereotypical gay characters).  Check.

People acting like dumbasses to serve the plot, rather than the plot being interesting when they act rational?  Check.

The gay character on Supergirl was handled really well.  Wtf are you talking about.  Don't insult the good name of Supergirl, damn it!

Accordingly that's because the company somehow managed to hide that all the way through developmemt and release.

But despite the fact it's not public knowledge, the families of anyone stuck in the game all determined the best course of action was to hospitalize. Without removing the headgear. The headgear they didn't know was dangerous. That's how they don't die after years of imprisonment.

I mean, the hospitalization is absent from the anime, but the alternative we're presented with makes less sense. Apparently comas make life sustainable for multiple years without food or water.

This show is stupid. :|

We've seen as bad or worse shit make it to market in real life.

I'm pretty sure it was stated some people tried to remove the headgear and died as a result.  Admin even says this at the beginning. 

And yes they're hospitalized and yes it was in the anime.  Umm you do know you can keep someone in alive in a coma for years and provide with them with food and water yes?

Well it may have also been due to the fact that Kirito hid his status as a high level player and beta tester multiple times.  People don't like dishonesty.  Again, not sure what world you are living in where people don't react in such irrational and stupid ways.  It's easy to sit there and monday morning quarter back, but until put into a situation like that you can't be sure how you or anyone else would react.  A lot people are going to space out and panic, freeze up, etc.  It's also easy for people irrational people to group up and reinforce people's beliefs, not to mention it gives them a scapegoat.

Anyway, later on, it becomes accepted to just let the elite players handle this while the noobs stay on the sidelines.  That whole thing with beta testers was pretty much just early on, until things settled in.

You obviously don't pay much attention to the news because bad or worse things have made it to the market all the time.