UnevenEdge

Netflix trying to murder Toonami

That sounds like the idea

I'd figure Toei doesn't want Dragon Ball series on Netflix because they don't want Netflix holding a streaming contract to something they can get onto TV. I'm pretty dang sure they held out on streaming DBS until they were sure no kid's network was going to play it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they're doing just fine.  It's the rest of the block taking it on the chin.

FUNi has been doing interviews about DBZ with a bunch of  people.  Their guests included NY Giants player Adam Gettis, Green Bay Packers starter Mike Daniels, and the guy that plays Genji in Overwatch.  Top that Hiatus!

Yeah, they've certainly got deeper pockets than Turner, that's for sure.

That said, sometimes good relationships go further than money. Just look at what Toonami classics [as] has been able to bring back, plus co-productions like FLCL for examples of this.

Netflix will get a huge slice of the pie, but they can't completely block Turner/Toonami from getting their slice as well. It WILL be a much smaller slice, and that's fine. Toonami can't beat Netflix, but they're not trying to--only to keep pace with them!

Co-productions were something we all pretty much dreamt about in Toonami's early days, but never expected to become reality. And yet now, world premieres are pretty much how Toonami will be forced to stay in business if they want to. Talk about ironic.

Partially by force, but Samurai Jack and FLCL is clearly just the beginning!

I feel in the future we may see Toonami co-produce new Outlaw Star, new Hunter x Hunter, hell maybe even new Gundam or new JoJo Part 5!

They're claiming their stake on certain franchises, that even though there's not doing so hot in the ratings right now, a co-pro with them might change their fate in the future!

Well... out of all those, I think new Outlaw Star is the least likely to happen. You most likely came up with it off the top of your head. Maybe they could instead go for more Big "O". A third season of that was floated (and the ending made more vague to potentially accommodate it) before the high brass at Turner got cold feet and walked away.

New HxH and a Vento Aureo adaptation will probably happen at some point, assuming those franchises remain profitable. Though if there's nothing new for the former by 2019, yet there's enough manga material to do something, I guess Toonami and Viz could partner up and try to make more. It'd be too audacious not to try.

That last one is by far the most interesting choice. I'd like to imagine, if Toonami were given a blank canvas to make any Gundam thing, they would come up with a show like G Gundam, or at least one with elements of the Super Robot genre, since the recent choices for this current block have not been so successful. But you never know.

I feel in the future we may see Toonami co-produce new Outlaw Star, new Hunter x Hunter, hell maybe even new Gundam or new JoJo Part 5!

They're claiming their stake on certain franchises, that even though there's not doing so hot in the ratings right now, a co-pro with them might change their fate in the future!

But why would you air more Jojo? It doesn't get good ratings. Why would you air more HxH? They already stuck it behind TG, they don't have any confidence in it. Is anyone really clamoring for new episodes of Outlaw Star? FLCL was a zany out of nowhere cult hit that captured lightning in a bottle, but are they going to be able to replicate that with part 2 and 3? Now that it's established that Lupin is a ratings turkey, would you air more Lupin?

Toonami makes bad decisions. They chose to get Super and make whatever wacko deal they made with them. They chose Jojo despite the first two seasons bombing, and now the third is bombing. They knew Lupin wasn't going to get good ratings so they stuck it at the back of the block, and even for that slot it under performs. They chose to get more Gundam despite Unicorn bombing and IBO having horrible viewer retention. They had years to do quality control to actually watch TG and prevent that from airing.

You can't blame Netflix and LIVE PD for Toonami losing almost half its viewers in a year.

Well... out of all those, I think new Outlaw Star is the least likely to happen. You most likely came up with it off the top of your head.

Not quite. This ANN user (who I swear is not me  :) ) also raised the same question!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3071265&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

(3rd from the bottom)

But why would you air more Jojo? It doesn't get good ratings. Why would you air more HxH? They already stuck it behind TG, they don't have any confidence in it. Is anyone really clamoring for new episodes of Outlaw Star? FLCL was a zany out of nowhere cult hit that captured lightning in a bottle, but are they going to be able to replicate that with part 2 and 3? Now that it's established that Lupin is a ratings turkey, would you air more Lupin?

Toonami makes bad decisions. They chose to get Super and make whatever wacko deal they made with them. They chose Jojo despite the first two seasons bombing, and now the third is bombing. They knew Lupin wasn't going to get good ratings so they stuck it at the back of the block, and even for that slot it under performs. They chose to get more Gundam despite Unicorn bombing and IBO having horrible viewer retention. They had years to do quality control to actually watch TG and prevent that from airing.

You can't blame Netflix and LIVE PD for Toonami losing almost half its viewers in a year.

You can blame Netflix for the following:

Taking shows Toonami could air.

Offering an alternative platform that isn't a super niche model that non-weebs have actually heard of.

Investing a ton of money in original productions.

Making Jason DeMarco buttmad.

You can't blame them for these decisions:

Airing Hiatus x Hiatus.

Promotion or lack thereof.

Scheduling.

Jason DeMarco always being mad at something.

Not if they run out of a budget to pay for them, or the network outright cancels them at any moment because they can get better ratings with Adult Swim shows during that time.

I'm going to chalk up the Gundam and Jojo thing as some long term deal they had to make in order to secure the rights to the franchises. Sunrise was notoriously hard to deal with and I figure they had to make the commitment. Same with Jojo. It's the only way it makes sense. Unfortunately it went and tied a portion of the block down and stoppped them from getting new stuff. But it was a gamble that these would be huge and they just haven't been. I can't see them picking up more of these franchises with the way they performed before.

The thing with Super unfortunately is a mess made by parties that only care about that shows exposure and not about how it affects the rest of the block. Look what happened when they tried to make 11 the premiere. We can only hope that whatever toys TOEI needs to sell doesn't and they resign themselves to just trying to make the show do well. It just irritates me that Toonami isn't reaping the benefits of this show.

But I agree. There are outside forces affecting the block, but it's time to start looking inward and control what they can.

Like... politics?

I had to stop following him on Twitter because his feed made me think he was so perpetually miserable. I would actually prefer he get sacked just so we can have someone who is excited about things and/or open to criticism of the block.

You can blame Netflix for the following:

Taking shows Toonami could air.

Offering an alternative platform that isn't a super niche model that non-weebs have actually heard of.

Investing a ton of money in original productions.

Making Jason DeMarco buttmad.

You can't blame them for these decisions:

Airing Hiatus x Hiatus.

Promotion or lack thereof.

Scheduling.

You forgot the big one. Making a terrible deal for 200 episodes of Super and making it the flagship show of Toonami.

And isn't it weird how Netflix wasn't able to get Super?

New Outlaw Star is a pipe dream at this point.  The series came out almost 20 years ago.  While it isn't impossible to get another season, it's extremely unlikely, and a lot of things would have to fall into place perfectly for it to happen.    The only reason the Samurai Jack revival happened was because Gennedy already had plans in motion to make the Samurai Jack finale movie.  Williams Street has also mentioned multiple times that FLCL is the favorite of the anime they've aired.  It wouldn't surprise me if they've been clamoring for new FLCL for years now, and they're only now getting to it.

JoJo Part 5 is going to happen with or without the help of Toonami.

I doubt Toonami would go for  a HxH revival.

I agree that of all the options, Toonami co-funding a Gundam is the most likely, though I still don't think it's going to happen.

On 8/17/2017 at 2:26 PM, Jman said:

He's gonna have a breakdown if we keep getting pieces about how Netflix is saving anime.

"B...but we made FLCL 2!"

"They bankrolled GODZILLA.  You lose."

[I tried to start shit]

Edited by Blatch

But they already did. You think 2011 was the first HxH to be produced? :P

Goddamn you lol  :P

I forgot about the 1999 series.  Haven't watched it yet but it's on my list. 

Anyone willing to offer a perspective as to how it compares to the 2011 series?  Worse adaptation?  Better?  I know 1999 doesn't cover as much, but for what it does cover, how do the two compare?

Anyone willing to offer a perspective as to how it compares to the 2011 series?  Worse adaptation?  Better?  I know 1999 doesn't cover as much, but for what it does cover, how do the two compare?

i believe it's more or less the same. the art style is a little different (darker colors, characters are drawn  a little differently) there's some things that were uncensored in the 2011 adaptation that are censored in the 1999 adaptation, and vice versa. not 100% on that though, going by word of mouth since i've never seen the 1999 adaptation either. there's a bit more padding around a lot of key scenes and events since there was less manga at the time. i guess you could argue that it's "filler" but there's not exactly filler episodes, just more stuff added onto scenes that wasn't in the original manga.

that's about all I can recall from reading comments and posts around the internet.

naraku and I were talking about it in who knows what other thread, but the consensus is generally that the 1999 adaptation handles the first part of the series, especially the Hunter exam, better than the 2011 version.  It's sort of like FMA vs. Brotherhood in that the former spends more time covering the same material and is able to pace it better and flesh it out more.  In particular there was a great little mini-arc between two of the Exam stages that was technically filler but fit in really well and let you spend more time with a lot of the other candidates.  There was also a crucial little piece of backstory and Gon character development right at the beginning of the series that the 2011 series skips over in favor of chucking it in as a flashback somewhere down the line.  The 1999 version probably does the Zoldycks and Heaven's Arena better as well, but I'd call Yorknew City much more of a toss-up, since I really enjoyed how the 2011 version handled it too.  As far as structure goes, the 1999 series concluded Yorknew via OVA (it was literally just the last 8 episodes of the arc), then covered Greed Island via a couple more OVAs, and that's where it left off.  Greed Island is the only part of the 1999 series I never saw, so I can't speak personally as to how good it was.

If we're talking an adaptation of Dark Continent, then it would be a continuation, not a revival.

The only point of a revival would be to eventually adapt unadapted material. Of which there's not a whole lot.

What would the point be to adapt the same stuff already adapted without continuing passed ot?

Typically, the consesus seems to be a preference for '99's Hunter Exam then 2011 for the rest. I do disagree, and prefer '99 up to Yorknew [which I consider about equal] and I think overall 2011 for Greed Island was better.

• 3 weeks later...

Well maybe some people don't want to binge. Hell, my system for watching Kuromukuro consisted of me watching it one episode at a time with several days in-between.

So, uh, don't?  I watched 385-417 of One Piece in a single crab fishermen shift-level sitting. :D But, anyone is free to watch the way they want.  I actually did the "self-created block" thing you mentioned earlier when that Chiller block lasted for all of 3 weeks.  Since I didn't have the channel, I watched those episodes in the order they would have been on TV, in weekly intervals, to discuss with everyone else.

Little Witch Academia the series was a direct production of the FANS' generous donations from a kickstarter fund.  And what does Netflix do with it? .... take it away from them until the anime stops airing in Japan, forcing me to watch illegal streams of it.

SHOVE IT, Netflix!!!!

So Netflix really does that?  Doesn't have a simuldub-type thing going on?  That's pretty retarded.  I mean, the whole thing right now with anime, the new stuff, at least, is to get it out quickly and legally, easy for people to consume and ideally well-localized.  Seems they are behind the times in this aspect at least.

But Dark Continent, being the only post-anime arc, is currently only like 30 chapters and appears to have barely just started.

It will never be finished nor will the series overall, because Togashi will throw out his back again while inserting a Dragon Quest cartridge.

So Netflix really does that?  Doesn't have a simuldub-type thing going on?  That's pretty retarded.  I mean, the whole thing right now with anime, the new stuff, at least, is to get it out quickly and legally, easy for people to consume and ideally well-localized.  Seems they are behind the times in this aspect at least.

Not at all. They treat all their shows equally.  Even if it's a detriment to getting the most views to different types of shows.

Not at all. They treat all their shows equally.  Even if it's a detriment to getting the most views to different types of shows.

That's really dumb.  Didn't think they did that to the anime, or rather, at least, did it with the just the dub or something, a while after the fact the sub aired.  This is STU-PID!

That's really dumb.  Didn't think they did that to the anime, or rather, at least, did it with the just the dub or something, a while after the fact the sub aired.  This is STU-PID!

And guess what else.

Have you seen the marketing Netflix did for Little Witch Academia?

Of COURSE NOT!  >:

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I found that name-drop a little odd. I don't THINK Snapchat does video anywhere on the scale of cable TV. However, it DOES have a few constantly-streaming news "channels" (which operate similarly to adult swim's streaming marathon "channels") like "E! News Rundown," "NBC Stay Tuned," and "CNN The Update". There are several others with less-sophisticated video that provide continuously rolling "factoids", including one for the NFL.

It's a small platform in its infancy, but it could grow quite a bit from there. I'd say only a matter of time (maybe in 2018), that an anime interest finds its way to the fledgling platform!

Yeah, I found that name-drop a little odd. I don't THINK Snapchat does video anywhere on the scale of cable TV. However, it DOES have a few constantly-streaming news "channels" (which operate similarly to adult swim's streaming marathon "channels") like "E! News Rundown," "NBC Stay Tuned," and "CNN The Update". There are several others with less-sophisticated video that provide continuously rolling "factoids", including one for the NFL.

It's a small platform in its infancy, but it could grow quite a bit from there. I'd say only a matter of time (maybe in 2018), that an anime interest finds its way to the fledgling platform!

I think it mostly means that more and more young people are entertained by social media than by cable TV.

The appeal to me of live TV is that it’s more curated and your more likely to find something you’d never see on your own. Streaming is more of a “on your own “  thing and you have to seek things out.

I also feel like people still want cable shows, but they don’t want to pay for them. Apparently there are methods to hack home media devices to get pirated content. I actually know people that do this. Others rely on YouTube before a copyright strike takes things down.

I’m worried about the next generation who will ordinarily stream. By just sort of surrounding yourself with things you pick, you may never experience things that you never would have found on your own. Same goes with music, the downfall of things like regular radio and MTV keeps people in their little cacoons and won’t regularly just random here new music or a new artist the same way my generation did. Some are more adventurous than others, but making everything available on demand just sort of means things get lost in the shuffle.

Cable companies really need to change their pricing and business model, or they will go the way of Blockbuster.  If that happens, will Demarco commit seppaku?

As long as television is able to exist as a form of background noise, nah.

Cable companies gonna start lowering their prices at some point (they have to).