UnevenEdge

Netflix trying to murder Toonami

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if Netflix has either version of the show, but the dub might as well be somewhere other than Funi's own site because of how popular it is in general. So keep an eye out.

EDIT: Okay, I guess not. Maybe DeMarco just spoiled them adding the dub, but Funi usually prefers to have stuff stay on their own service..

... all this news is great for fans to know, but DeMarco should watch himself or he may reveal too much programming/network information and he'd get in trouble with Adult Swim.

No he needs to keep being open than we might get a better leader for the toonami crew and a better choice of shows that aren't DBZ

Jason is like Trump only a few people actually likes him

To me, Demarco seems to be really into older stuff that isn't hyped in the mainstream, while Gill is younger and has tastes more akin to what IS currently popular. He also tends to like family films/shows more than Demarco.

DeMarco shouldn't be too upset.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/netflix-lures-shonda-rhimes-away-from-abc-studios-report-1202526464/

Netflix wants to take over the world.  And how to handle anime isn't a well kept secret anymore with On Demand existing.

Surely, this will be what tips the scales in Netflix's favor and erases their $20B of debt.

To me, Demarco seems to be really into older stuff that isn't hyped in the mainstream, while Gill is younger and has tastes more akin to what IS currently popular. He also tends to like family films/shows more than Demarco.

unless Gil will cause an influx of super homoerotic anime to surge into Toonami I'm fine with things the way they currently are

Yup they missed the boat on that one big time

I think the point of diversion was when they picked up IBO. What they really should've done is run MHA after Dimension W. They maybe could've gotten it on the cheap before it blew up huge.

At some point though Netflix is going to have to chill or they may collapse under their own weight! 

I think the point of diversion was when they picked up IBO. What they really should've done is run MHA after Dimension W. They maybe could've gotten it on the cheap before it blew up huge.

At some point though Netflix is going to have to chill or they may collapse under their own weight!

Yup except I honestly don't think the people running Toonami have any clue what any new anime are until they blow up huge like OPM, MHA or AOT. By that time it's too late to get a good deal or in MHA's case... any deal.

So they either waste money on old franchises they've heard of like Dragonball and Gundam, or flail around randomly getting complete crap they've never watched like DW and TG.

The next new show is IBO S2. S1 suffered record drop offs in viewer retention. Why would you get another season of something that suffered record drop offs?

Yup except I honestly don't think the people running Toonami have any clue what any new anime are until they blow up huge like OPM, MHA or AOT. By that time it's too late to get a good deal or in MHA's case... any deal.

So they either waste money on old franchises they've heard of like Dragonball and Gundam, or flail around randomly getting complete crap they've never watched like DW and TG.

The next new show is IBO S2. S1 suffered record drop offs in viewer retention. Why would you get another season of something that suffered record drop offs?

And that's an issue, once something is already popular, the masses have already seen it. By the time Toonami can get MHA, it won't have much value at the top of the block anymore. This is kind of what we are seeing with HxH, Ghoul and Jojo. It would be cool if we could get stuff that is just on the verge of blowing up. They would need someone to really do the research about what's coming in Japan and to take a risk on an unknown property. Toonami has made names out of things that weren't even hits in Japan. Would be nice to see that again.

The problem is that you'd need to get simuldubs in order to make that happen, and that limits your choices to whatever FUNi has going at the moment.

I'd say throw one of them on and see how it does. If we keep picking up known popular shows, your limited to people who haven't seen them.

OPM did great, and the dub trailed the sub by almost a full year. So it doesn't even need to be a simuldub. Just new and appealing to mainstream viewers.

Worldend and Akashic were two of the most popular titles from last season. Both had simuldubs. Toonami showed no evidence of knowing that either one of these anime exist. They don't have the ultra popularity of something like MHA so a deal with them getting aired on TV and getting more exposure would probably work out quite well for them.

OPM did great, and the dub trailed the sub by almost a full year. So it doesn't even need to be a simuldub. Just new and appealing to mainstream viewers.

Worldend and Akashic were two of the most popular titles from last season. Both had simuldubs. Toonami showed no evidence of knowing that either one of these anime exist. They don't have the ultra popularity of something like MHA so a deal with them getting aired on TV and getting more exposure would probably work out quite well for them.

Shows really need that mainstream appeal. Things like fun humor, romance, character development go a long way with casual viewers.

I suppose you're right, though I daresay they should have gone after MHA instead of Tokyo Ghoul. They might have beat Netflix to the punch if they'd have at least done that!

Of course, we wouldn't be getting IBO S2 this October, but small price to pay.

I suppose you're right, though I daresay they should have gone after MHA instead of Tokyo Ghoul. They might have beat Netflix to the punch if they'd have at least done that!

Of course, we wouldn't be getting IBO S2 this October, but small price to pay.

I don't mind IBO, but that is kind of the point when they (exception of OPM) being current with the industry with newer not as well known properties. With Gundam they were sort of misguided by nostalgia and their own love for the franchise.Before it was sort of the dub premieres of last years Japanese hits. Now we are sort of seeing th dub premieres of the hits of 2013-2015 (Jojo, Lupin, Ghoul, HxH). Many of these shows are already super popular with the anime crowd who has already seen them subbed. These same shows have no mainstream appeal either. The 2 shows  Daos mentioned are good examples of things that might have gotten an audience and more exposure. They have a great partner in Funimation that is dubbing dozens of shows a season. Toonami could take one of those shows and make it a hit by putting it in front of millions of people who wouldn't have seen it otherwise. The shows they are playing now would have been better 2/3 years ago, unfortunately it took this long to get them dubbed.

It's my hope that they stop only paying attention to the popular request backlog (that means you Fairy Tail) and sit down with Funimation and try and find the hit of tommorow.

Except that the only true "dub premieres" on the block anymore are Stardust Crusaders, Hunter x Hunter, and Lupin the 3rd. Maybe DBZ Kai still qualifies but I'm not sure. I don't think that episodes beyond 122 or so have been released on DVD, and we're well past that.

Gundam IBO S2 will of course add a 5th dub premiere, but who knows what kind of show Lupin the 3rd will be replaced with? That would be a great timeslot for Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga if Hulu's exclusivity clause is extremely limited, only covering the time period in which the show is actually premiering on Hulu. But as we've seen with Sailor Moon, that's extremely unlikely.

Except that the only true "dub premieres" on the block anymore are Stardust Crusaders, Hunter x Hunter, and Lupin the 3rd. Maybe DBZ Kai still qualifies but I'm not sure. I don't think that episodes beyond 122 or so have been released on DVD, and we're well past that.

Gundam IBO S2 will of course add a 5th dub premiere, but who knows what kind of show Lupin the 3rd will be replaced with? That would be a great timeslot for Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga if Hulu's exclusivity clause is extremely limited, only covering the time period in which the show is actually premiering on Hulu. But as we've seen with Sailor Moon, that's extremely unlikely.

All of Kai is out on DVD. They released the whole Final Chapter very quickly in 3 sets from April-June.

I'm going to throw out an odd theory. I think that Toonami is going to part ways with Naruto Shippuden after the Pain arc (episode 175) ends in September. It's just a hunch, but I have a feeling that they will use the 2am hour to air remastered classic shows or shows that were exclusive to streaming and now can run on Toonami in sort of a second chance theater. I just think that once a show's dub has run on a streaming service for awhile, putting it on Toonami in an early timeslot isn't going to do much good. But it could be used to fill out the back end a little if they can be picked up for cheap.

I don't mind IBO, but that is kind of the point when they (exception of OPM) being current with the industry with newer not as well known properties. With Gundam they were sort of misguided by nostalgia and their own love for the franchise.Before it was sort of the dub premieres of last years Japanese hits. Now we are sort of seeing th dub premieres of the hits of 2013-2015 (Jojo, Lupin, Ghoul, HxH). Many of these shows are already super popular with the anime crowd who has already seen them subbed. These same shows have no mainstream appeal either. The 2 shows  Daos mentioned are good examples of things that might have gotten an audience and more exposure. They have a great partner in Funimation that is dubbing dozens of shows a season. Toonami could take one of those shows and make it a hit by putting it in front of millions of people who wouldn't have seen it otherwise. The shows they are playing now would have been better 2/3 years ago, unfortunately it took this long to get them dubbed.

It's my hope that they stop only paying attention to the popular request backlog (that means you Fairy Tail) and sit down with Funimation and try and find the hit of tommorow.

Fairytail is from 2009. It's always been requested and they always ignored it. I don't see that changing.

They're currently missing the boat on Gate and Overlord which both have recent dubs out. Overlord has a second season coming. Tanya the evil was simuldubbed, they missed it. No game No life is dubbed, has a movie out, and probably a second season soon. DanMachi is dubbed now. Assassination classroom is dubbed. If they were willing to go trashy, Highschool DXD, Freezing and High school of the dead are all dubbed and would definitely get better ratings than TG.

And they somehow missed out on another top request, Mob Psycho.

Their best bet is to keep their ears to the ground and somehow get Re Zero and Konosuba when they get dubbed finally.

The current talk of why Toonami isn't airing these new shows makes me wonder if maybe airing more Simuldubs is actually the solution. Obviously, the shows might not be good, but Dimension W rated very well on here even despite that. I recommend they cut a deal with Funi to air three or four of these shows a year... probably one per season unless there's something really popular that's more than one cour. Maybe they could start with Attack on Titan S3.

Fairytail is from 2009. It's always been requested and they always ignored it. I don't see that changing.

Fairy Tail also extended into 2014 and a second movie has been released in theaters here just last weekend.  It is still hot.

I now fear asking about the chances of Mob Psycho 100 making the block.

The current talk of why Toonami isn't airing these new shows makes me wonder if maybe airing more Simuldubs is actually the solution. Obviously, the shows might not be good, but Dimension W rated very well on here even despite that. I recommend they cut a deal with Funi to air three or four of these shows a year... probably one per season unless there's something really popular that's more than one cour. Maybe they could start with Attack on Titan S3.

This is the way I believe. Toonami could take some of these shows and give them exposure they won't get in a sea of streams. Shows that haven't had a chance to break out. Yes it's risky, but it's better than what they've been doing.

Netflix has an insider on Demarco's team

More likely DeMarco sends out feelers to the dubbing companies and Netflix jumps on anything they believe will make a good fit for their block with more money and promises of promotion.

Anything they can wait on is usually a secondhand contract.  And even that sometimes gives benefits.  Bill Burr found OPM through Netflix, not Toonami.

I'd definitely agree with this.  It seems that all Toonami has been doing up to this point has been getting fan requested shows when they become available (I.E. When the hype is over.)  Just having a dub premiere of a show isn't going to cut it anymore.  Toonami needs to take a risk and air simuldubs when they can. 

I think if Drifters ever gets a 2nd season, that's definitely one that Toonami should look into. It's from the same mangaka as Hellsing, the first season was pretty prominently featured on FUNi (hell, it's the reason I GOT FUNi in the first place), and they could blow through that right before dub-premiering the 2nd season AOT-style.

DW didn't actually do well. People just think it did because the block was way higher back then.

12:00 AM Dragon Ball Z Kai 1,482,000

12:30 AM Dimension W 1,160,000

That was DW's final episode. 78 percent retention. It was between 78 and 85 for just about every episode.

Basically everything after Kai retains about the same, except for OPM which actually beat Kai on some nights.