UnevenEdge

the great unbannening

Unban them both, warn them if they repeat behavior, if they repeat the behavior they were banned for banish them to Dumpster Fires, I'll take care of them >:D

Seriously, make the only board they can see be Dumpster Fires if they continue their shenanigans >:D

so, should we or shouldn't we unban Zeni and TIC now?  or should we wait a bit more? 

It'll be awhile before we switch to IPB, IF we switch to IPB.

if you want but reban them if they immediately go back to their old behavior (which they will) :|

Left up to me alone, I would probably not have banned zeni or tic either one. 

In both cases, they were an ongoing community problem in the sense that they were the subject of multiple (often daily) reports from different users (not just one or two with an axe to grind, though they had those as well).  They each had several people making arguments for why they should be banned.  Neither one responded to warnings issued to stop doing some of the stuff that was causing all that.  TIC responded okay to PMs, but then would turn right around and ramp up the behavior.  Zeni just didn't respond, and didn't change anything up.

In both cases, it had grown to more of a community-wide disruption rather than a snakes nest of individual personality conflicts with other users which are generally more contained to the threads they pop up in.  In other words, a lot of threads were being made on the board just to perpetuate their user feuds on top of everything else, it became difficult to just view/enjoy the board without the open leaking sores of their personal drama present all over the thread list.

Dumpster Fires became kind of like their personal folder, they made so many threads that were duplicates, bad to begin with, and/or degenerated into DFs that the DF folder was basically all them and their threads.  And at some point, things do add up.  I mean, while I'm still not sold on content bans, I can't ignore when somebody points at the DF folder as proof of the size of the disruption that a user seems to be exerting upon the boards.

That's what ultimately swayed me.  Was just all of those things combined.  They were banned more for the weight/breadth of their maliciousness and/or ignorance (whichever it was, though I strongly suspect some combination of both rather than one or the other), than for the content of their posts.

I don't think any other user anybody might have a personal grudge/bone to pick with even comes close to their level of general disruption.

Neither one responded to warnings issued to stop doing some of the stuff that was causing all that.  TIC responded okay to PMs, but then would turn right around and ramp up the behavior.  Zeni just didn't respond, and didn't change anything up.

Zeni is a legend

So I think I'll lift the bans over the weekend.  I want to see how the server thing works out this Friday.  Then I'll catch up with some stuff after that.

Good because truth be told, Zeni is not really disruptive.  He's just a contrarian. Contrarians are going to disagree with you, especially if everyone else agrees.

I'm something of a contrarian myself and I don't participate in fads.

Good because truth be told, Zeni is not really disruptive.  He's just a contrarian. Contrarians are going to disagree with you, especially if everyone else agrees.

I'm something of a contrarian myself and I don't participate in fads.

He spams the same bullshit in every thread, much of which involves acting like an ephebophile.  That's not being a contrarian, that's being a creepy asshole.

Personally, We don't feel Zeni should have been banned in the first place. Granted, We are only vaguely aware of the final tipping point moment that culminated in his ejection. With more details, We could easily be swayed; It's not as though We think the ban was wholly unjustified. But given what's been said here about the ban being more the result of the constant day-to-day behavior as opposed to any one single action, Our initial assessment stands.

Tic, on the other hand, more or less deserved it. It would have been a trivial matter to go on ignoring his constant shit posting, but his ban gave Us no pause. Full disclosure, though, the biggest difference between the two is that not once did We find Tic amusing.

That being said, We see absolutely no reason to reverse course on either decision. At the crux of the matter is that the punishment they were handed down was for, in essence, not being able to change their ways. Sure, people can change, but in actuality, they seldom do. Unless you have very good reason to think either have been affected in some way, it stands to reason to leave things as they currently are.

That's Our opinion, for what it's worth. Which, seeing how it was given after you've already come to a decision it seems, can't be much.

On a further note, We find it odd that you would pose this question so openly. General consensus is terribly whimsical, and as such, not particularly suited for regulating a code of conduct. When you have a system where the answer to questions like "Why was I banned/not unbanned?" is, if we're being totally honest, "You weren't popular enough."  that is the height of unfairness. You really should have some guiding principals that determines, or at the very least a framework that suggests, the answers to these sort of questions. 

I'd rather trade top_gun and cac for zeni and tic

Since they bitch the most now

Nope love me some top gun and cac

Zeni and Ticc for Viper or forget the whole thing  >:D

Viper told me I got Luuv's cock down my throat when the only reason I sword swallowed Luuv's knob was so he could get it wet enough to shove it up Viper's ass.

See, I was helping.  ::]:: >:D

• Haha 1

yeah man basic social standards suck balls don't they

I'll let you in on a secret, there is absolutely no desire to even attempt to establish any kind of basic standards of conduct. In fact, when it is attempted, the person(s) attempting to do so are admonished.

Just sit back and enjoy the show, the popcorn is free, buttered and popped in coconut oil.

I'll let you in on a secret, there is absolutely no desire to even attempt to establish any kind of basic standards of conduct. In fact, when it is attempted, the person(s) attempting to do so are admonished.

Just sit back and enjoy the show, the popcorn is free, buttered and popped in coconut oil.

Coconut oil?

Get the hell out of here with that shit

It's popping oil

Guy with Trump icon who once explicitly posted "black lives don't matter" cries about basic standards of conduct.

Guest squirrelygod

Except you still have to see that the insipid shit stains threads, and their titles, so that shit doesn't really work.

Guest squirrelygod

You know what, fuck this, someone can tell me on steam or something when that fuckstain is gone. Until then I'm deleting this bookmark and gone

profile>modify profile>buddies/ignore list>edit ignore list>add screen name of user you wish to ignore.

This is not moderating Luuv.  Half your userbase shouldn't have to ignore a single problem user.  If someone only contributes garbage to a community, you remove them from said community.  Period.

Like seriously, how did you spend almost 15 years at the ASMB and still not figure shit like this out?

So, you're saying it's pretty clear that the community is of one single mind regarding Zeni?

because - I'm not seeing/reading exactly the same things you seem to be seeing/reading.

I would say overall, I'm not super happy with the results thusfar.  If I end up having to do the exact same thing, and constantly clean out FFA of all the zeni threads, and DF fills up with Zeni threads again, and people are complaining a lot about it, he may get banned again.

But it will take more than Squirrely throwing a toddleresque temper tantrum and the same handful of users that I already know despise zeni hammering at me to ban him.

I know you hate zeni.  I have that data.  Thanks for the info.  Feel free to report threads and stuff like you normally would.

We'll see what happens.

But if/when something goes down again with Zeni, it'll be because of a confluence of events and supporting data, not solely because a user that doesn't like him pitches a fit, or another user that doesn't like him insults me and/or my skillset.  I try to be patient with stuff like that, but just have had my fill of it lately.

I'm aware that Zeni can be a drag on the board.  I'll be watching all the data, reports and PMs and traffic, the content and volume of his posts, the drain he places on board maintenance, looking at all that as things move along.