UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Shinobi no Ittoki 9
Platinum End 13

Spoiler

For fuck's sake, show, when you kill off named characters, you're supposed to show the light fading from their eyes in real time, you're supposed to show people reacting in real time to the onscreen mortal wounds and their end results! You do not have Satomi commit hara-kiri, Goshogawara get shanked, and Housen get shot, show them trying to cling to life in their final on-screen moments, and then cut away only to reveal five minutes to two episodes later that they're dead and never coming back!

Fuck you for doing that. Fuck you for killing off Yumika. Fuck you for leaving Himura and Karajishi alive. Just fuck this shitty ass show. This is the worst seasonal anime I've seen since Nyaruko-san over a decade ago.

By comparison, Metropoliman letting his imouto die because of his siscon tendencies isn't that bad. Still utterly reprehensible, but better, and more in tune with my expectations going in.

takt op. Destiny 9
The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls 16
Made in Abyss S2E2-4
To Your Eternity S2E1-4
Akira (yearly rewatch; subbed version)

Up until now, I've never included Toonami viewings in this thread, but I think I should. And now it's time to get on with the business.

The Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls Episode 16: "The light shines in my heart."

Spoiler

Close to four months later... 🤨

It's a battle of wits between TakeP and Mishiro, as the former presents his plan for an event that will make the idols more popular than ever before: the Cinderella's Ball ~Power of Smile~. Despite reluctance towards this, Mishiro agrees to the plan, with the caveat that she takes total control of the production if it fails. Then the action shifts to focus on some dipshit we've never heard of called Nana. She is apparently very old.

Nana contributes to the variety show hosted by Mizuki and Airi that was the focus of Episode 9; she has a segment where she does the weather. And she does well at it, a far cry from Yayoi (the other one) botching the words at every opportunity. This time around, there seem to be three teams, and Miku and Riina are another of them, while Ayame the ninja idol is on the third. But the fun is soon short-lived, as scenes of Nana's commute back home are intercut with Zaslav—I mean Mishiro talking about how she wants to "shift the content". She later breaks the news that Cerebral Boom! Brains Castle will soon lose all of its variety show elements. Youch. But the idols aren't going to take it, you see, because they want to maintain the fun things they do all the time as well as their characters, which is another thing Chairman Mishiro has been going on about.

Miku talks about how cat ears are central to her character and she wants to keep them, even as Nana, who claims to be a bunny idol from the planet Bunnyears (actually her apartment) is being told to drop the act all together. This culminates with a scene at a gaming convention where Nana is going to do her first performance as a normal idol, but Miku is able to get a front-row seat at the convention's event and convinces Nana to bring back the bunny ears. Through sheer force of will, Nana's brain fuzz is eliminated, she returns to her Bunnyears persona and gets the crowd hyped for this game called Rhythmon. How exciting! And then the office building blows up.

Watching this episode made me cringe inside just a little, a far cry from when I started this series, simply because Touhou is my main franchise again. (Again? I started in 2014, before this particular show was announced.) But hey, it's a nice fist-pumping episode that makes you learn to love this helplessly mentally broken idol who wears bunny ears but not for sexual purposes. The cameos are fun, even if sometimes it feels like checking boxes off a list, and the plot does a good job of referencing other elements from the games. From the looks of it, the Cinderella Project crew is going to get even bigger in the episodes to come.  

Some CG news (because I've been tardy again):

• So this requires a wind-up: there's a character in CG that's not in this show called Riamu Yumemi, a.k.a. an idol who's even more broken than Nana and basically makes a career out of being a shitposter turned idol. In a real-life twist that somehow fits her perfectly, her seiyuu has cancer right now and isn't voicing the character. I hope Seena pulls through.
  • The person who wrote the first OP for this show, among numerous other songs, got outed as a sex pest. Yikes!
  • Some happier news: the new 10th anniversary (of the original mobage that's shutting down soon) anime Eternity Memories is out, and it hasn't been subbed yet. But then again, neither has the last part of the comedic spin-off show. I'll have to make some room for it whenever that deal goes down.
  • You will be able to stream Cinderella Girls music on all your favorite services starting Wednesday. When I get around to it, it'll be through Apple Music, just to give an endorsement.
  • A month and a half from now marks the third bracket of the Stage for Cinderella competition. Get ready for me to be insufferable to get you to vote for Nao. By the way, she wasn't in this episode.

Random thoughts:

• Rhythmon looks like a pastiche of Digimon, and it would've been cool for the show to flesh that part out a little more.
  • Crunchyroll's translation of Nana's home, normally called "Usamin", is rendered as Bunnyears here. Now that's a downgrade, even if the choice to translate it is understandable.
  • Clockwatch: Not much to go off of here. I mean, I don't know if the times the scenes take place at are fodder for the clock itself. But the last scene before the credits begins with the minute hand of a clock, hour hand out of view, lurching away from the 10 marker.
  • Meme corner: This one... isn't really comedic. People with the surname Abe have it rough.
  • Rating: TV-G.
  • While only parts of it were played the episode proper (so it doesn't count for a proper review), I'd like to give a shout-out to Nana's Cinderella Master song, "Märchen Debut!", which is pretty cool, if a bit Adderall-infused and not what I look for out of idol songs. And yet look who made it.

Idol roundup:

• Nana: Eternally 17, Cute-type, 7th Cinderella Girl. Lunatic earth rabbit. The franchise is coy on her real age, but it certainly ain't 17; her drama CD features her mom calling her and telling her to go vote, and she shows up in this episode too via a phone conversation, talking about how she should give up her dream to be an idol and become a homemaker. (Hey, it worked for Kyle Justin.) She's a trainwreck in every sense of the word, maybe even neurodivergent, and that's why we love her. But how come her eternal 17-ness wasn't mentioned in this episode? Weird.
  • Tamami (new voice): 16, Cool-type. Little samurai girl who pairs well with Karin (my beloved) and the aforementioned Ayame. And she was in a song with Nao once.
  • Ayame (new voice): 15, Passion-type. What's to say about her? Well, she is a ninja, and often evades peoples' sphere of perception and also content output. She was involved in the incident that caused Sachiko to go skydiving.
  • Emi (new voice): 17, Passion-type. Comedian idol. You know how it goes: straight guy and stupid, sitting in a tree, S-I-N-G-I-N-G. And she has a relationship with octopuses; takoyaki is her trademark favorite food. But who would she have to act as the baka in this case? Well...
  • Suzuho (new voice): 13(?!), Passion-type. Costume idol, but not any kind of kigurumi. Instead she wears ridiculous costumes she makes herself of various objects, like this one. I have the weirdest boner right now...

My Hero Academia 114
Submarine Super 99 10

You know, while I'm more than happy to see Midnight and Mount Lady sharing screentime again...

Spoiler

...it still really hurts knowing what'll happen at the halfway point of the season. Horikoshi knows what he did, he shouldn't have ever done it, but because he did, I will never forgive him.

Edited by PokeNirvash

Naruto Shippuden 420
Pop Team Epic 21 (dubbed)

Spoiler

I'll freely admit on this one that the original Japanese is superior, if only because the real-time SFX aren't muted and the pun in "Musicione" lands better. But I do love how the ADR writers rewrote the "he who shakes even health" line into something a little less dependent on Japanese pun humor.

Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun S3 ep 2

Spoiler

I hate the pink haired girl so much.  She's such a brat. I'm bringing my MAL score down from 9 to 7 because of her. 

It's hard to enjoy the show when I get so mad at her that I want to run her over with my car. 

At the end of the episode I was imagining it for  a long time.  It would be nice if she died.

Shinobi no Ittoki 10
SK8 the Infinity 12

While the former was definitely better than last episode's exercise in forced fatalities for shock value, it wasn't enough to pull the series out of the 6/10 hole it dug itself into, not with the casualties it did add. The latter, on the other hand... you'd need an Adult Swim Infomercial's worth of chef's kisses to summarize how fuckin' great this show is. BONES by name, KyoAni by reputation: a winning combination. 12/10.