UnevenEdge

DBZ Kai returns 2/24/24 at 2:30 AM because, uh, reasons, I guess?

Hey remember in the Q&A when DeMarco said DBZ returning was definitely possible… Yeah it’s already happening and IGPX leaves after episode 13 aka the end of part 1.

Before you say maybe IGPX needs more time, according to Jose it was ready to air a complete run of all 26 episodes.

This is probably a great deal from Toei and their long-term solution for replacing Naruto but no matter what amount of their budget they spent on this, I consider it a waste of money for after 2am. They could have shifted up subbed Ninja Kamui or doubled up One Piece if IGPX actually did hit a snag. But nah, DBZ is back to save the day. I’m only glad it is at 2:30am after the premieres but they should run it at 7pm or even 5pm on weekdays if Toei wants it back on TV so badly.

• Like 2

I will repeat myself, I hate Demarco so god damn much. They could have pulled Ninja Kamui up. They could have doubled up OP again. They could have gotten ANYTHING else. This cost them money, so I don’t want to hear the “they won’t spend on 2:30” bullshit anymore. Demarco finally gets a little good will back and pisses it all away. 

Long term, this is probably what will replace Naruto. When the schedule has gaps, they will double/triple/quadruple up on Kai. With all the positive buzz and ratings from Lycoris, why is he still so averse to fresh shows?

Id also wager this is a strong sign they will get Dragon Ball Diaper later in the year/early next year. Again, likely at huge detriment to the rest of the block. 

40 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Sucks that the HD rerun's been delayed/canceled, but hey, Goku sells seats, so I'm not surprised. Besides, this gives me ample opportunity to watch the season 1 rerun online!

They already tried adding Kai as an infinite loop show. Goku does not sell seats any better than a show in their free archive. They let the license lapse after a year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

Hey remember in the Q&A when DeMarco said DBZ returning was definitely possible… Yeah it’s already happening and IGPX leaves after episode 13 aka the end of part 1.

Before you say maybe IGPX needs more time, according to Jose it was ready to air a complete run of all 26 episodes.

This is probably a great deal from Toei and their long-term solution for replacing Naruto but no matter what amount of their budget they spent on this, I consider it a waste of money for after 2am. They could have shifted up subbed Ninja Kamui or doubled up One Piece if IGPX actually did hit a snag. But nah, DBZ is back to save the day. I’m only glad it is at 2:30am after the premieres but they should run it at 7pm or even 5pm on weekdays if Toei wants it back on TV so badly.

And here I thought it would be a longer wait than this. God, at least wait until ALL of IGPX has finished before doing this!

However, I will say something: The last time someone was this risk-averse to anime on Saturdays, we got the One Piece Rap.

• Like 1

Honestly, if 12-2 can stay solid (no stalling new shows for the rest of the year) I dont really care what they do with 2:30. But thinking logically, there’s no way that will be the case. Is S2 of IGPX just not going to air for 160+ weeks? Will no other shows rerun? Not likely. Kai will creep up the schedule and One Piece will probably spend at least some of the year doubled up. 

Our best case scenario here is when Ninja Kamui ends, they bump Kai to 3 and bring back IGPX back to 2:30 for 13 weeks which should carry us close to the Uzumaki (lmao) premier, which would probably also get a 3am sub run. Then when that ends, they cut off 3am. I have a hard time seeing them keep the expansion unless Kai does great down there, which isn’t likely. 

We know there are pretty high odds that MHA S8 replaces Ninja Kamui as the lead in May/June. They may have to tweak things a little to line that up, but it’s likely what will happen. There is absolutely no excuse for them to not have two new shows lined up to replace DS and Lycoris in April though. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I will repeat myself, I hate Demarco so god damn much. They could have pulled Ninja Kamui up. They could have doubled up OP again. They could have gotten ANYTHING else. This cost them money, so I don’t want to hear the “they won’t spend on 2:30” bullshit anymore. Demarco finally gets a little good will back and pisses it all away.

My dude, it's a basic cable block showing anime in the year 2024. There are bigger things to get upset over.

Anyways, it's kind of nice to have a half-hour I don't need to care about every week. Suffering through DBZ once was enough for me. If I want to watch an actually good version of it, I'll throw on Abridged.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

My dude, it's a basic cable block showing anime in the year 2024. There are bigger things to get upset over.

Sure are. But this is a place for Toonami/AS discussion, so as far as this place is concerned, this is the biggest thing in the world to be upset about. Sketch is somewhat as upset about it and I don’t see you giving him shit. It’s a stupid move and people should say that. 

• Like 1

Al: We already have a thread for this. I don't see any reason why we need a second one, personally.

Mr. Idea Box: [as] has the tapes for season 2, it's simply a matter now of whether they air them and when they do. Could be this year, could be two to three from now like they did with HD Bebop post-block truncation.

Edited by PokeNirvash
Bobopatchiggler: "FuSiOn Is CoMpLeTe!"
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

We know there are pretty high odds that MHA S8 replaces Ninja Kamui as the lead in May/June. 

You mean Season 7? You must be confusing R&M with MHA.

BUT otherwise, yeah, I'd bet as much money as I lost on the Super Bowl on that happening!!

Must have been something off about them, or the ratings weren't good enough for 2:30. Why is it everytime they try a mech show, even if it's a repaint of a bona fide Toonami classic, it gets screwed like this?

I guess the best we can hope for is it to return with Season 2 at 3 AM at some point down the line.

As for this thread, maybe I'll try a merge instead of sending it to the shadow realm?

16 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

All the more proof of my theory it was part of a package deal with Demon Slayer.

Or they paid to air it.

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Mr. Idea Box: [as] has the tapes for season 2, it's simply a matter now of whether they air them and when they do. Could be this year, could be two to three from now like they did with HD Bebop post-block truncation.

Or seemingly never, in the case of that one Ghost in the Shell episode. Given how many shows Toonami has they can air for free, it's surprising the rerun rotation isn't bigger. And now they're bringing back Kai? Yeesh. Definitely agree with the idea that this would be a better idea for the first few hours of [as] on weekdays, though maybe don't want to mess with Checkered Past.

Edited by Blatch
Changed the wording on the last point a little bit.

8 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Sure are. But this is a place for Toonami/AS discussion, so as far as this place is concerned, this is the biggest thing in the world to be upset about. Sketch is somewhat as upset about it and I don’t see you giving him shit. It’s a stupid move and people should say that. 

Because Sketch is a reasonable person and not going into histrionics over it.

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You mean Season 7? You must be confusing R&M with MHA.

BUT otherwise, yeah, I'd bet as much money as I lost on the Super Bowl on that happening!!

Bro you didn’t put your money on Taytay’s team? It was like they leaked the script this year, that was basically free money. 

57 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Ok, let’s talk about the bigger things I’m upset about then. Let’s see, I wasn’t too thrilled it cost over $87 to fill up my Hellcat yesterday. Is that a big enough issue to be upset about? 

14 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Al: We already have a thread for this. I don't see any reason why we need a second one, personally.

Okay, that's consoling. I would have preferred to air it right after the first half, but I'm not the guy running Toonami.

11 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Should I take it up several notches? I dropped one of my rare f-bombs on the podcast regarding this. xD

I’m mostly annoyed IGPX is getting pulled but make no mistake, DBZ returning to Toonami and wasting any amount of the budget is one of the things I least wanted to happen. I prefer it over having less than 3 hours, getting DBS or GT and getting Daima (but not over original DB) but not much else that was in the realm of possibility. All things considered I think Guy isn’t being anywhere near as obnoxious about this as they have been in the past.

There’s nothing wrong with being passionate about media and even this barely acknowledged TV block and being critical of it. We don’t just have to accept the reality nod our heads and smile. Not that I think you even think that way but it’s okay to just let folks vent even if it won’t accomplish anything productive.

Also booh to the mods, my thread title was way better! xD 

Edited by Sketch

59 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Should I take it up several notches? I dropped one of my rare f-bombs on the podcast regarding this. xD

I’m mostly annoyed IGPX is getting pulled but make no mistake, DBZ returning to Toonami and wasting any amount of the budget is one of the things I least wanted to happen. I prefer it over having less than 3 hours, getting DBS or GT and getting Daima (but not over original DB) but not much else that was in the realm of possibility. All things considered I think Guy isn’t being anywhere near as obnoxious about this as they have been in the past.

There’s nothing wrong with being passionate about media and even this barely acknowledged TV block and being critical of it. We don’t just have to accept the reality nod our heads and smile. Not that I think you even think that way but it’s okay to just let folks vent even if it won’t accomplish anything productive.

While I doubt it would happen, I'd prefer getting Daima over Kai reruns. At least it would be something new on Toonami, which they need more often than not.

As for your thread title, I can sum up their opinion in just two words: "Balls? Ack!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

Sorry, that was my bad for merging the 2 threads, trying not to keep some of the posts on mine from being banished to the shadow realm. Sincerely, I meant to keep yours, but somehow the opposite happened.

Balls to this! Indeed!

On 2/12/2024 at 6:14 PM, Sketch said:

Wow, yeah, at least they could have waited until we got to see the whole remaster if the second half was already ready. It's been a really nice one and even though I'm going to get the blu-ray I've still been watching cause it's been cool to see in its improved state early.

Edited by DangerMouse

On 2/14/2024 at 12:01 AM, Sketch said:

It’s always a little weird to me that some get so worked up about people having opinions. 

I’ve seen some who before anyone even says anything, will immediately get defensive over decision they make and that viewers don’t have any right to complain “because they don’t understand how TV works”.

I’ve even seen this done, when we get GOOD NEWS. Like if we get a show we thought we couldn’t get, the lecture is at those who said they couldn’t get it. However, this is usually because Demarco himself has said they couldn’t get it so it’s not completely unreasonable to believe what the man is saying. Maybe he shouldn’t say this stuff either, but that’s another conversation 

But I’ve said it’s like sports fans on a forum or on X. They all have their opinions and get worked up, but it doesn’t really matter that much and people aren’t as worked up as they seem. It’s just online chatter 

If you have no money and need to air a rerun, you might as well air something long that people like.  It's not like they're throwing a premiere down there.  Ninja Kamui is still airing at midnight.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jman said:

If you have no money and need to air a rerun, you might as well air something long that people like.  It's not like they're throwing a premiere down there.  Ninja Kamui is still airing at midnight.

If you have no money, you shouldn’t be wasting a single penny on a rerun. Bebop, GitS, the rest of IGPX which is apparently already done, the sub run of Ninja Kamui, all of these would do equally well at 2:30a and not cost them a dime to air. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

If you have no money, you shouldn’t be wasting a single penny on a rerun. Bebop, GitS, the rest of IGPX which is apparently already done, the sub run of Ninja Kamui, all of these would do equally well at 2:30a and not cost them a dime to air. 

I’m pretty sure DBZ is something they can air cheaper because they aired it before.  This isn’t DeMarco grabbing Daima and airing it at that hour (because if they do get it it’s going to air at midnight).  Nor is it him spending cash on a new contract for an older show.  

They’ve made it a point that they’re squeezing every penny.  I don’t see why that would change.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jman said:

I’m pretty sure DBZ is something they can air cheaper because they aired it before.

So not free. If this was a free option, DBZ would have been a permanent part of the block. Maybe it wasn’t a lot that they spent, but any amount is too much. Especially after they bitched last year that they couldn’t afford any new shows. I’d rather have seen this money spent on a Sentai C list show over another run of one of the most beat to death anime out there. 

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

My clearest-headed guess is that they're trying to create a Big 3 Block on Toonami in the time they have left with Shippuden. Maybe we'll even see the 2023 continuation of OG Naruto as a sort of coda!

...oh wait, they never happened. 🤦‍♂️

DBZ isn’t part of the big 3. It’s One Piece, Bleach and Naruto. The entire concept of the big 3 is dated anyway since 2 of the series are long since completed and nothing really filled their shoes when they left. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AnimationFan14 said:

I was really vibing with the beautifully remastered IGPX and live tweeting with those who worked on said remaster and others 

*le sigh*

Well, it's a hell of an advertisement for the Blu-Ray, that's for sure.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

So not free. If this was a free option, DBZ would have been a permanent part of the block. Maybe it wasn’t a lot that they spent, but any amount is too much. Especially after they bitched last year that they couldn’t afford any new shows. I’d rather have seen this money spent on a Sentai C list show over another run of one of the most beat to death anime out there. 

A lot of those shows either don't fit DeMarco's taxing standards or are older.  Look, would it be fun if they got access to a dubbed version of Chained Soldier or aired Ya Boy Komining?  Sure.  But the cost-to-reward ratio probably looks unsatisfactory (and I don't see DeMarco vibing with Chained Soldier one bit).

• Top Gun unpinned this topic