UnevenEdge

What is your earliest childhood memory?

tsar4

Some time ago, I told my mom that I remembered a kitchen, but I couldn't place where it was or what house it was in.  I described it for her and she said, "You can't remember that!"  It turned out I was describing the kitchen of my paternal Grandparent's house and an Aunt confirmed that was what I was describing.  The last time I was there, I wasn't even a year old.  My grandmother sold the house shortly afterward, plus my Dad had a falling out with my Grandmother that lasted for over a decade.  While there were pictures of the living room, nobody remembers or can find pictures of the kitchen, so I'm not recalling a picture.  Even a picture wouldn't have been able to show everything I recall.

• Like 1

- There was a neighborhood pizza place I went to as a little cub. They had Flintstones playing on the TV, and the interior of the pizza parlor was like an early 90s log cabin.

- I was around 2-4 years old where I recall going into my neighbor’s house when he wasn’t home and just started running around a bit. I was never caught. He left his door unlocked for whatever reason, maybe he was at my house.

- My grandpa got me a big case of Pepsi that he dropped real hard on the floor and shit started leaking out from the box. I laughed my ass off while he got scared and did this fucking native dance while trying to get the spewing Pepsi case out from the house. I kept laughing at him and then he turned around and shouted “NO MORE COKE” which made me cry.

Edited by [classic swim]
  • Like 1

I remember being in a hospital, in a glass case or something with a bunch of computers around. 

My mom says there were breathing complications when I was a baby but I shouldn't remember that....she says I dreamed it.

I've had this memory for as long as I can remember....it's not like I just popped this into my head when I was stoned. I was recalling this in first grade and was telling other kids when we'd share fantastical stories.

My daughter remembers being chased by ducks in the mountains when she was 1ish....I believe trauma hardcodes itself into your memory despite age.

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 2

A couple things come to mind. The first one is my mom changing my diaper when I was a baby. The second is watching the Challenger space shuttle explosion on local tv. Houston's CBS affiliate interrupted the Price is Right to report on it. I was exactly three years, eight months old when that happened.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 2

I vaguely remember the day my dad came home with a rented Nintendo 64, i must have been 3ish at the time. i also remember bits and pieces of that apartment but not much. the kitchen, for some reason, is what sticks the most for me. i wonder why kitchens seems to have such staying power

• Like 1

I remember a bright light, and then being shoved back in

pre school (2).. I don't remember anything in-between going to the bathroom, and asking the teacher for help wiping the ole' bottom

when she came in her face was mortified, and I remember her saying "oh honey... it's even in your shoes" then they called my parents and my Dad had to leave work to pick me up

The only thing I can think happened is I had the runs, sat down and was all "alright... mission complete!" and then when I stood up to get assistance I think uh... gravity moved everything from my bottom, down

I imagine the poor teacher heard me ask for help, saw me turn around rocking the most gnarly, shit crafted chaps ever, and immediately swore off ever having children

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I remember when my sister was born, which I was a few months away from turning three, and seeing my great grandmother in the hospital around the same time.

I can also remember my great grandmother's parlor, which I would only have been prior to that. Hard to really pin a date to anything else.