UnevenEdge

Rurouni Kenshin 2023

Sieg67

No idea this was going to be a thing but yeah, two episodes are up.  I've only watched the first episode and about to watch the 2nd.
It seems to be a remake with some changes. 

So this is basically just a heads up for those who may be interested.

Edit:  I used to be a big RK fan back in the day but I didn’t know about all of his crimes… I really liked this series and the movies too.  Ugh.  

It’s interesting that it got live actions (which were pretty decent) given this backdrop.  

Edited by eklipse

Well, thanks for the heads up, because Anime News Network certainly hasn't given it to anyone. I find it interesting how they've silently boycotted the series ever since its premiere at AX. Nobody reviewed the first episode for the preview guide, and it wasn't included on the ballot for this season's weekly reviews. Even Crunchyroll has hardly given any attention to their own show.

I'm glad I've never had any interest in Kenshin, but if I did... eh, I probably wouldn't bother with this one anyway. Maybe I'd pirate it? Depends on if Watsuki gets a cut from the official stream.

I'd say I preferred the stigma around Watsuki when I didn't know he had over 100 of those retroactively illegal DVDs and not just a handful of them, but that reveal honestly makes the vitriol around him still somehow being persona grata... perfectly logical?

Either way, I don't really care about Kenshin beyond the 96 version's taste in theme songs. (Fourth Avenue Cafe a best.) So Watsuki ain't getting any of my money.

Edited by PokeNirvash

I question why this remake exists, not because of his crimes (but trust me, that does not help one bit) but because we already had a really good film series that covers most of the manga including the prequel.  They’re really good samurai films, and to go back to this well so soon after their finale feels kind of pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Well, thanks for the heads up, because Anime News Network certainly hasn't given it to anyone. I find it interesting how they've silently boycotted the series ever since its premiere at AX. Nobody reviewed the first episode for the preview guide, and it wasn't included on the ballot for this season's weekly reviews. Even Crunchyroll has hardly given any attention to their own show.

I'm glad I've never had any interest in Kenshin, but if I did... eh, I probably wouldn't bother with this one anyway. Maybe I'd pirate it? Depends on if Watsuki gets a cut from the official stream.

...they had a whole column about the AX premiere that generated the predictable massive threadnaught, and they've run numerous articles about it since it was announced. Just because none of their reviewers want to help support the bank account of a convicted pedophile doesn't mean they're completely ignoring its existence.

Like Jman said, even if I was somehow able to ignore all of that grossness, I still wouldn't understand the need for a full remake either. The original anime adaptation was very well-regarded, particularly the Kyoto arc, and that arc even got a crappy OVA adaptation itself a decade back. Just skip ahead and finally animate the Jinchuu arc that's never been touched before.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

...they had a whole column about the AX premiere that generated the predictable massive threadnaught, and they've run numerous articles about it since it was announced. Just because none of their reviewers want to help support the bank account of a convicted pedophile doesn't mean they're completely ignoring its existence.

I was alluding to said article they put out, and they haven't published any articles on it since. I should've made that more clear. I mean, yeah, they'll put out news articles related to the series if something comes up, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the pushback from their reviewing staff is what's noteworthy.

9 hours ago, Blatch said:

I was alluding to said article they put out, and they haven't published any articles on it since. I should've made that more clear. I mean, yeah, they'll put out news articles related to the series if something comes up, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the pushback from their reviewing staff is what's noteworthy.

I hope they stick to their guns. This is the type of situation where it's a lot easier to take a stand because if there's pushback, it could go viral on social media very quickly.

• Like 2