UnevenEdge

Triple-digit temperatures for me in Houston.

Gemini

This is the second week of this darn heat wave here in Houston. I'm already over summer, which is saying something because Is usually love summer. Not this year! I'm already longing for autumn.

Oh, and this heat wave finally ends this coming week, where the temperature is supposed to drop to...ninety-five degrees. Not enough of a decline, if you ask me.

You'd think I'd be used to it being hot and humid here by now. lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

No, probably not. I know my tolerance for heat was better when I was a kid, but that was because I'd play basketball at my childhood best friend's house, which was just a street over from mine in the old neighborhood. Of course, we'd drink a hell of a lot of water from the hose as well as some Gatorade every once in a while.

i am so happy i moved out of the desert and the heat. even the hottest days here have been only a little uncomfortable. people think I'm crazy when i talk about working in 115-120 degree heat. maybe i am, consider how long I've done that, my brain has to be at least a little cooked. like i have a weirdly fine tuned sense of how close i am to heat illness that i don't think you can develop and still be entirely sane

• Like 1

7 hours ago, discolé monade said:

it's the humidity that does it. i loathe humidity. 

95 with 61% humidity, making it feel like a hundred and fuck. 

and without ac this has been absolutely unbearable. 

monday. finally. we get another unit monday. 

the worst experience i ever had working outside was pretty much in that kinda heat. 110 dry is better than 95 and humid any day. i thought i was going to die of heat stroke, i felt so horrible. 

14 hours ago, eklipse said:

I’m not used to the heat. We live in a coastal area, so 90 is scorching for us.  Most houses here don’t even have AC.  

fuAnyways so stay cool and hydrated!  

Funny you should say that. I live about forty or so minutes from the Gulf of Mexico so I'm lucky in that regard. But the difference is y'all have a cool water current along California whearas we have the Gulf Stream, which is a warm water current. Though really, that wouldn't be such a big deal right now EXCEPT for the fact that we've had a high pressure system over us for quite a few days, which isn't helping at all. (Also, nice new avatar!)

disco: Oh, tell me about it! We're like y'all in that regard. We're infamous of our hot, sticky days in the summer, and that all goes back to being humid as all get out. The only difference is we're a little more inland than y'all are. Then again, I don't know if it makes that better or worse. xD

Edited by Gemini

30 minutes ago, Vamped said:

I hate the south.... but it has also made me terrified to move all the way up north because I don't know how to drive in the snow 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952b5oucj7ruxnljrps9m

i got lucky working second shift, when i had to learn to drive in the snow the roads were mostly empty. ngl, it's terrifying, but not impossible to figure out if you're already an experienced driver, just go slow and get a feel for how your car moves differently.

38 minutes ago, Vamped said:

I hate the south.... but it has also made me terrified to move all the way up north because I don't know how to drive in the snow 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952b5oucj7ruxnljrps9m

I kind of do, at least on icy roads. But I understand what you mean.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:58 PM, Vamped said:

I hate the south.... but it has also made me terrified to move all the way up north because I don't know how to drive in the snow .

I’m a Southern Californian and I’ve never had trouble in snow or ice, but…

I’ve also only ever owned 4x4s.  Driving in snow or ice isn’t a problem as long as you’re driving the right kind of vehicle.  Four-wheel-drives require more maintenance, but there are enough cheap used all-wheel-drives that can do the same without as much up keep.  Other than that and driving slower with less aggressive acceleration, you’ll be just fine in snow.