UnevenEdge

Netflix puts up first four minutes of Black Clover: Sword of the Wizard King, confirms original dub cast is back

Jman

The Black Clover movie is the 2nd most popular film on Netflix in the country, only behind the Chris Hemsworth vehicle Extraction 2.  This pretty much seems to be leaning towards more of the anime being made, as well as Netflix taking it from Toonami.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Hopefully Toonami would have some say in this...

Toonami treated it like garbage it’s entire run even though the show was always reliable to them. It would be poetic to see it’s success on Netflix drive it’s price out of Toonami’s window. 

• Sad 1
  • D'oh 2

If Toonami would have aired it at 11:30 for its entire run rather than jettisoning it to the mid-block, who knows? We might be living in a world where Toonami presented its theatrical run with a guaranteed airing on the block a few months later instead of this.

Demon Slayer eventually got a better timeslot, but Toonami's airing Season 1 at 1:30 at first was a real head-scratcher. Sometimes it seems they're their own worst enemy with these boneheaded decisions. When they DO capture lightning in a bottle, like with the DBZ franchise, it's usually just dumb luck!

11 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

If Toonami would have aired it at 11:30 for its entire run rather than jettisoning it to the mid-block, who knows? We might be living in a world where Toonami presented its theatrical run with a guaranteed airing on the block a few months later instead of this.

Demon Slayer eventually got a better timeslot, but Toonami's airing Season 1 at 1:30 at first was a real head-scratcher. Sometimes it seems they're their own worst enemy with these boneheaded decisions. When they DO capture lightning in a bottle, like with the DBZ franchise, it's usually just dumb luck!

I've said it before, they had no competition so they saw fit to act however they wanted with the material.  And the past few years it's come back to bite them in the ass something fierce.  No one wants to work with them anymore so we have to dig up an Anthony Bourdain vanity project and other Max sloppy seconds for Toonami.  

Witch from Mercury would have been nice, especially with it apparently rocketing Bandai to record profits for the Gundam franchise.

Anyway, it looks like the movie is a bonafide hit, with it today only being behind the Extraction movies as the most popular Netflix movie in the entire world.  Think about that for a minute as you lament Toonami's state.  Black Clover was always a bit of a punching bag for the block, but holy hell, these numbers are insane.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

I've said it before, they had no competition so they saw fit to act however they wanted with the material.

This isn’t quite right. Streaming was their competition, even if not from a direct standpoint. When a distributor is looking for a western home for their show, did they want it to be a stream exclusive headliner, or give it to Toonami for them to bury? That’s where they made a mistake, streaming was always their competition even if they insisted it was not, and now they are paying the price where the only anime afforded to them are sequels that are a month and a half or more behind their stream release. 

Toonami got a brief taste of what it felt like to be the gatekeeper of anime in the western market back in the 90s, and they never really seemed ready to accept that wasn’t the case anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well then, hopefully it's got home video rights separate so we can still get a blu-ray to catch up, lol.

Good to see they were still able to get the dub cast back.

On 6/18/2023 at 3:06 AM, ben0119 said:

Is this movie part of the manga storyline or its own thing?

And yeesh I sure hope Toonami doesn't lose Black Clover on top of all their other woes!

Tried to look that up, looks like the answer is it's basically "kinda both". On the one hand it might be technically anime original because it didn't adapt previously existing chapters, but, at the same time apparently the movie has been supervised by the manga author to fit during the time skip (after the Elf arc and before the arc we were in the middle of when that last season ended), tie-in to upcoming events and foreshadow things currently happening in the manga, and supposedly mostly avoid any contradictions aside from some tweaks to try to improve things regarding Asta's and the Black Bulls' "banishment" (after that Damnatio "trial" of Asta and Secre that we saw), so it sounds like it's mostly canon from what little spoiler-free stuff I can see.

Yeah, that'd be annoying after 170 episodes on Toonami, since it's pretty obvious the show will eventually get more seasons after the movie.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

So did anybody else watch it yet?

I finally did last night and I thought it was pretty fun. It was cool seeing black clover with movie quality animation. Some of the battles were really well done. I'm also glad that the cast was the same as the show.

I won't get into the details for anybody that hasn't seen it yet, so i'll just say if you liked the show you'll probably enjoy the movie.

• Thanks 1

Rumors are already spreading that the movie being such a smash hit means that a new season has been greenlit.  Whether it ends up on Toonami or Netflix is another question.  Interestingly, 2025 would be the manga’s 10th anniversary.

Edited by Jman
  • Thanks 1