UnevenEdge

Royal Crackers Discussion Topic

I haven't watched the premiere yet, though I haven't decided if I want to. From the looks of it, [as] is pushing this show really hard, w/ a three-episode premiere, encores on Monday and Saturday, and they've already given it a second season as I mentioned elsewhere. The only thing I don't know is if they're airing promos for it non-stop on the network itself. I'm pretty sure I heard it mentioned on at least one NCAA tournament game, though disappointingly it was never aired as a sneak preview after one of the Turner networks' slate of games. All this is enough to make me wonder if they seriously think this show can be their next Rick and Morty; if so, then they should probably come out and say it, because there's no shame in it. Even if R&M is still on the air.

On 4/1/2023 at 9:58 PM, Blatch said:

I haven't watched the premiere yet, though I haven't decided if I want to. From the looks of it, [as] is pushing this show really hard, w/ a three-episode premiere, encores on Monday and Saturday, and they've already given it a second season as I mentioned elsewhere. The only thing I don't know is if they're airing promos for it non-stop on the network itself. I'm pretty sure I heard it mentioned on at least one NCAA tournament game, though disappointingly it was never aired as a sneak preview after one of the Turner networks' slate of games. All this is enough to make me wonder if they seriously think this show can be their next Rick and Morty; if so, then they should probably come out and say it, because there's no shame in it. Even if R&M is still on the air.

I Can't really see this show becoming the success story adultswim wants it to be

10 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

I Can't really see this show becoming the success story adultswim wants it to be

It does feel like a joke that’s a few years late.  It debuting right as Succession ends just feels like awkward timing.

I’m also not sure what this can do that Succession can’t unless they really lean into the absurdity.

6 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

saw an ad for royal crackers today while watching battlebots.....

does it really deserve all these commercials and that cracker billboard?

Hmm, must vary depending on provider, I was watching Battlebots too and didn’t see any Royal Crackers ads. A few months ago though, I do remember seeing a Yolo ad during Battlebots. So I’m not surprised at all that this show is getting the cross network treatment too. 

Stephanie Sheh is a regular and other VAs who worked on Naruto will appear in future episodes. Seems pretty evident its intentional but it's not like these actors aren't good for the job. They also have some more recognizable guest stars such as Fred Armisen and the late Gilbert Godfried so far.

I've enjoyed the first 4 episodes though the factory one with the chickens was just kinda gross IMO. The way conversations play out really does remind me of Metalocalypse in a good way. I think it has potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Maile Flanagan is in this show!? REALLY!?!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt26748360/

Well I'll be damned! I KNEW Matt's voice sounded strangely familiar!

Hungry Naruto Shippuden GIF

My ears picked up on it the first couple of times the commercial for it aired. It’s super rare to hear her outside of Naruto so I was skeptical but there was just no one else it could be. 

4 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Stephanie Sheh is a regular and other VAs who worked on Naruto will appear in future episodes. Seems pretty evident its intentional but it's not like these actors aren't good for the job. They also have some more recognizable guest stars such as Fred Armisen and the late Gilbert Godfried so far.

I've enjoyed the first 4 episodes though the factory one with the chickens was just kinda gross IMO. The way conversations play out really does remind me of Metalocalypse in a good way. I think it has potential.

Has there been a full cast list reveal? I’m interested in which other voices I should be listening for. I know Stephanie Sheh is the executive girl at the office, but I’m so used to her Hinata/Orihimie voice I may not have picked up on it. 

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

You know I kind of felt like they had some potential, but were just slightly missing the mark on the comedy.

Like the opening where the guy is naming all the bands. Is there any human alive that would think a 12 year old kid would know any bands from the 90's? He might as well have been tossing out names like the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. Would have been funnier if he was naming bands from 6 years ago, which is basically half the kids lifespan, and him having no idea who any of them are.

Also, you can't have EVERY character be an idiot.

They are all assuredly different kinds of idiots but idiots just the same. The teenager is probably the least moronic.

The Lawyer is maybe the best character but he also does some very stupid things. The board members are more rational than the family to an extent but they buy into Theo’s BS and clearly aren’t very sensible about a lot of things.

Deb is cringe and clout chasing. Stebe is just sad. Theo is hard to like but he’s a somewhat entertaining asshat. Matt is just eh… a novelty voiced by Naruto.

I suppose the humor comes from these idiots having bad things happen to them.

At least none of their flawed personalities are projected to the audience as a good thing. If Rick & Morty is trying to make Rick seem like an irredeemable POS the writers need to quit sucking Rick’s balls almost every chance they can.

• Thanks 1

Rick has the Vegeta problem. He's a mass murderer but the story keeps telling us how cool and edgy he is.

But then we remember, hey.... hasn't he killed more people than Hitler? Am I really supposed to be rooting for this guy? 

Remember when an entire planet/species got wiped out because Rick created that robot to kill Morty's love of heist movies?

But yeah, don't they put garbage in their crackers and end up killing a ton of people? I mean what next.... an episode where they're so stupid they can't figure out how to put pants on and walk around pantsless for 30 minutes? How about an episode where they're too stupid to cook food and get salmonella? How about an episode where they're so stupid they forget how to walk and have to crawl until someone teaches them how to walk again?

If we're just having these characters not know how to do basic things and having that be an episode I guess anything goes eh?

I'm sure this show will limp along for at least 3 seasons, the bar has been set pretty low.

12 hours ago, Daos said:

Like the opening where the guy is naming all the bands. Is there any human alive that would think a 12 year old kid would know any bands from the 90's? He might as well have been tossing out names like the Rolling Stones and the Beatles. Would have been funnier if he was naming bands from 6 years ago, which is basically half the kids lifespan, and him having no idea who any of them are.

You completely missed the joke. Theo’s entire gimmick is that he is a washed up 90s rockstar. He genuinely believes Matt would know who those bands are because Theo listened to them when they were popular, roughly 30 years ago. Then they lay it on even thicker when he has to google Post Malone. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

You completely missed the joke. Theo’s entire gimmick is that he is a washed up 90s rockstar. He genuinely believes Matt would know who those bands are because Theo listened to them when they were popular, roughly 30 years ago. Then they lay it on even thicker when he has to google Post Malone. 

No, I didn't miss the joke, you missed the point of what I was saying. I felt like the joke didn't work because it was too over the top. He's a washed up 90's rock star so he's somehow been in a coma for the last 30 years and thinks a 12 year old is going to know bands from before he was born? When is the last time you heard anyone who peaked in the 90's reference Limp Bizkit? The joke is "Ha ha ha he think's it's still the 90's" but it's stupid. Low hanging fruit of the comedy world basically.

It's the same with the "Ha ha look how stupid they are, they put garbage in their crackers and killed a bunch of people" 

I mean come on guys, that's the best you got?

1 hour ago, Daos said:

No, I didn't miss the joke, you missed the point of what I was saying. I felt like the joke didn't work because it was too over the top. He's a washed up 90's rock star so he's somehow been in a coma for the last 30 years and thinks a 12 year old is going to know bands from before he was born? When is the last time you heard anyone who peaked in the 90's reference Limp Bizkit? The joke is "Ha ha ha he think's it's still the 90's" but it's stupid. Low hanging fruit of the comedy world basically.

It's the same with the "Ha ha look how stupid they are, they put garbage in their crackers and killed a bunch of people" 

I mean come on guys, that's the best you got?

He genuinely believes Taint is still relevant. He is stuck in the very brief time period where Taint was significant enough to open for Papa Roach. 

As Meatwad would say, I got it. It ain’t making me laugh, but I got it. 

• Haha 1

This right here is why I heavily dislike parodies of parodies.  The jokes have to go on another layer because we’ve seen the initial joke, and they rarely make anyone laugh.  Succession’s humor is black as midnight, but it works.  Royal Crackers’ attempt to be a Succession shitpost doesn’t.

4 hours ago, Jman said:

This right here is why I heavily dislike parodies of parodies.  The jokes have to go on another layer because we’ve seen the initial joke, and they rarely make anyone laugh.  Succession’s humor is black as midnight, but it works.  Royal Crackers’ attempt to be a Succession shitpost doesn’t.

They could have made that joke work better if they put in a little effort though. Instead of the ridiculous hammy premise of "guy think's it's still the 90's because he peaked in the 90's" maybe he asks him if he's been listening to the black eyed peas or LMFAO or Lady Gaga. And he's just like? No? Who? What? 

That way you see that his character isn't a complete delusional idiot. He's been TRYING to keep up with the current music scene but he's still 5 to 10 years behind. Party Rock anthem doesn't feel like that long ago, but for that kid it would his entire lifespan. So it's a little bit funnier and more relatable.

The sheer laziness of the joke is what really made me think man.. they're not even trying.

18 hours ago, Sketch said:

They are all assuredly different kinds of idiots but idiots just the same. The teenager is probably the least moronic.

The Lawyer is maybe the best character but he also does some very stupid things. The board members are more rational than the family to an extent but they buy into Theo’s BS and clearly aren’t very sensible about a lot of things.

Deb is cringe and clout chasing. Stebe is just sad. Theo is hard to like but he’s a somewhat entertaining asshat. Matt is just eh… a novelty voiced by Naruto.

I suppose the humor comes from these idiots having bad things happen to them.

At least none of their flawed personalities are projected to the audience as a good thing. If Rick & Morty is trying to make Rick seem like an irredeemable POS the writers need to quit sucking Rick’s balls almost every chance they can.

Theo And Matt are carrying this show if you ask me

Matt because it's just naruto saying weird stuff and Theo Because while his 90's washed up rockstar gimmick can get a bit repetitive

at least he has something unlike Stebe and Deb

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 6:45 PM, Sketch said:

So you mean Gilbert Gottfried saying "Merry Christmas" as God (I guess?) WON'T be the last time we hear his voice in animation?

The copyright screens say "2022", so I guess I shouldn't be THAT surprised.

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

tonight was a lore focused episode...crazy for a show like this to have lore

Tonight’s was a swing and a miss IMO. The only good joke was the one they put in the promo. The more of it I watch, the more of a believer I become that this should just be The Theo Show. Because when Theo isn’t the focus, the laughs dry up.

2 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Tonight’s was a swing and a miss IMO. The only good joke was the one they put in the promo. The more of it I watch, the more of a believer I become that this should just be The Theo Show. Because when Theo isn’t the focus, the laughs dry up.

Theo really is the star of the show and to a lesser extent matt

also why is it that aside from naruto maile flanagan plays complete weirdo characters?

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

also why is it that aside from naruto maile flanagan plays complete weirdo characters?

The only role I really remember her as was the teacher from Lab Rats, where she’s also a bit of an eccentric.  I think she’s good at the comedy aspect.

Speaking of, I kind of wish we got a shitpost of another HBO show instead of Succession.  Like White House Plumbers.

Edited by Jman

16 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

When it comes to her career oddity, that’s Naruto. I don’t believe she ever did another anime role. It’s by far her most iconic role in her portfolio, but still the one that just isn’t like the others.

8 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

When it comes to her career oddity, that’s Naruto. I don’t believe she ever did another anime role. It’s by far her most iconic role in her portfolio, but still the one that just isn’t like the others.

It’s admittedly a bit weird when you see her in other roles, which is why any clip of her from Lab Rats is usually packed with Naruto jokes in the comments.

Edited by Jman

43 minutes ago, Jman said:

It’s admittedly a bit weird when you see her in other roles, which is why any clip of her from Lab Rats is usually packed with Naruto jokes in the comments.

I can’t hear her as anything besides Naruto. It is just so jarring to hear that voice coming from anywhere but Naruto’s mouth. 

7 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

HBO Max namedropped twice this episode.

They Probably Thought HBOMax was something speciall when these episodes were made....instead it's getting relaunched with the most generic name ever

4 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

Just finished the one with the mutant chickens.

Humor’s starting to pick up, but I’m still in no real rush to continue the rest of the season.

it's not like adultswim has anything else going for it now

Edited by CountFrylock

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Fair point.

More ATHF fan service + revival movies are the only major things preventing me from tapping outta the current brand, but Royal Crackers isn’t bad. I’m sure I’ll like all the other episodes whenever I get to them.

HBO Max got namedropped again.

Laughed my ass off at Matt just sitting in his room playing with a boob slider on a game, especially since it was implied he was supposed to go on the trip.

Kinda found it weird this one was rated MA S though. Really don’t see what warranted it. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 3:34 AM, CountFrylock said:

I guess Unicorn Warriors Eternal is chopped liver, then?

It may not be a Toonami exclusive, but it's the best damn show on [as] right now, but of course that isn't saying much.

Oh wait, that was posted on 5/1. It would be a full 3 days until we got UWE.

14 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Tonight's 2nd episode:

"Earl Grey Bandits," LMAO!!

That was last week's episode(Surprised nobody talked more about it last week honestly)

Something I Don't get about last night's episode...despite Theo's failure he managed to get the girl and they were kissing by the end

we know they probably won't be together in the season finale and she probably won't be mentioned again which makes the decision to have him win her over by the conclusion of that episode bizarre

speaking of season finale

adultswim didn't air a promo for that so it seems they wanna keep it a mystery

Edited by CountFrylock