UnevenEdge

Ohio is for Lovers

Master-Debater131

Ohio isn't just a place that is currently experiencing one of the worst environmental disasters in US history, its also an old song!

No but really. Ohio is currently dealing what can only be described as a truly historic disaster. It all started with a train derailment and has just spiraled from there. People are reporting burning eyes, coughing, and dying animals for hundreds of miles around the disaster. Most of the mainstream media is also silent on the story. One reporter tried to get answers, and he was arrested.

• D'oh 1

1 hour ago, SwimOdin said:

It’s finally becoming Caelid.

I’ve been out of town and working 12-14 hour days, so I haven’t been able to follow a lot of news, but is this really not being covered? It feels like it’s our Chernobyl.

It's being covered now but it was being held quiet for a bit for no real good reason. 

Once the company lit the shit on fire and it went off like an f-ing bomb and things started dying, they kind of had to say something. 

• Like 1

I mean, they've been talking about it in the Pittsburgh region ever since it first happened, but maybe it's because we're close. It's raining right now. I kinda wanna buy litmus paper.

I really think the whole town should be evacuated and the place should be an exclusion zone for habitation. Maybe the groundwater isn't contaminated now, but I imagine the chemicals will seep through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We can thank deregulation of our environmental and safety standards for this. The ones Trump removed and Biden didn’t bother to reverse.  Although maybe he couldn’t because our corrupt SCOTUS decided the federal government doesn’t have the power they thought they had when it comes to environmental protections 

we got Iowa removing protection on child labor, allowing them to work dangerous jobs like mining and shit, and if they get hurt or die?  Too fuckin bad cuz not being able to sue or seek worker’s compensation is in the legislation. 

we are going back to the good ol days when most of us were either illiterate or poisoned by our food jobs and drinking water on purpose 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Buttegeig (htf you spell it) didn’t respond to this disaster for ten days, instead focusing on diversity rather than issues of safety.  He can do something about this so things like this and the accident in AZ don’t happen again but I doubt he will.   He might not even know he can, or that it’s his job. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Buttegeig (htf you spell it) didn’t respond to this disaster for ten days, instead focusing on diversity rather than issues of safety.  He can do something about this so things like this and the accident in AZ don’t happen again but I doubt he will.   He might not even know he can, or that it’s his job. 

It feels like the entire government is MIA right now. Other than being told its all safe in spite of what everyone is experiencing and seeing no one seems to want to step up.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

It feels like the entire government is MIA right now. Other than being told its all safe in spite of what everyone is experiencing and seeing no one seems to want to step up.

It’s all about that $$$  we can blame a whole lot of politicians for how we got here, but this administration specifically has behaved abysmally imo. This train had an accident of some sort shortly before this disaster.  Was this train even safe to transport hazardous materials?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

It’s all about that $$$  we can blame a whole lot of politicians for how we got here, but this administration specifically has behaved abysmally imo. This train had an accident of some sort shortly before this disaster.  Was this train even safe to transport hazardous materials?

Its absolutely about the money. The railroad is going to try to pass blame off to someone, state gov will do the same, and feds will do the same. Its going to wind up spending 20 years in courts to pay the victims a tiny fraction of what they actually deserve. Not to mention the inevitable cancer cluster that you know is coming.

Its really hard to understate just how horrible this is going to wind up being in both the short and long term.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Its absolutely about the money. The railroad is going to try to pass blame off to someone, state gov will do the same, and feds will do the same. Its going to wind up spending 20 years in courts to pay the victims a tiny fraction of what they actually deserve. Not to mention the inevitable cancer cluster that you know is coming.

Its really hard to understate just how horrible this is going to wind up being in both the short and long term.

Isn’t there already a case against a Pennsylvania RR company where a former employee is claiming the job gave him cancer and Biden sided with and protected the company?  I only say this to say, this administration won’t do anything to help the pleb citizens of Ohio cuz they sure as shit don’t gaf about the workers in America 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Isn’t there already a case against a Pennsylvania RR company where a former employee is claiming the job gave him cancer and Biden sided with and protected the company?  I only say this to say, this administration won’t do anything to help the pleb citizens of Ohio cuz they sure as shit don’t gaf about the workers in America 

I wouldn't be surprised. This kind of thing happens all the time and the end result is almost always the little guy getting fucked. It will sadly be the same story here. Massive spikes in illness and cancers, decades of lawsuits, and in the end they'll be lucky to get a fraction of what they deserve.

I'de almost guarantee that right now there is a meeting at the railroad with the highest levels of management figuring out how to minimize costs and shift blame. Probably some hush hush calls between them and the Govt as well. Railroads are some of the most powerful corporations in this country, and they are about to wield that power to punish anyone who could increase their costs.

• Like 1

See, it's stuff like this that makes me not trust the government, no matter who's in charge. Neither side trusts the other to try to do things in good faith. At all. Crap like this is why I've decided not to follow or participate in politics (even as just a voter) anymore.

I just saw some footage on the evening news of the Ohio train as it went by a security camera area and it showed flying sparks from the wheels of one of the cars. 

It might mean that the railroad company could be held 100% to blame if it turns out that the derailment was caused by unmaintained cars that were failing.

And if that's the case, I'm wondering if the car/s that were set fire to supposedly head off an 'even worse explosion' weren't ones that were damaged prior to the actual accident. 

Yeah, yeah. This has been your conspiracy of the moment moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PenguinBoss said:

Ah, so the state has to call the SoE. so only Republicans can be blamed for this in so far that Ohio is led by a gop governor with majority gop state houses in a gop majority county and the decided “they got this” despite so very clearly “not having this”

sad

• Like 2

On 2/18/2023 at 12:07 PM, 1pooh4u said:

Finally FEMA went down to Ohio. Two weeks after the incident. Idk if that’s a failure of this administration or if states have to request assistance. Seems it should be an automatic thing 

Call me crazy, but if I was the Governor of a state and I saw a massive train carrying highly dangerous chemicals light on fire and create a plume of smoke so large that it punctured through the clouds I would be declaring a disaster that second and asking the Feds to send in support.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Call me crazy, but if I was the Governor of a state and I saw a massive train carrying highly dangerous chemicals light on fire and create a plume of smoke so large that it punctured through the clouds I would be declaring a disaster that second and asking the Feds to send in support.

Yeah, well I guess owning the libs was more important?  Also pretty sure it didn’t accidentally go up in smoke,  my understanding is the company purposely blew up the chemicals. Hopefully I misunderstood what I read but idk sounds like something a large company would do

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Yeah, well I guess owning the libs was more important?  Also pretty sure it didn’t accidentally go up in smoke,  my understanding is the company purposely blew up the chemicals. Hopefully I misunderstood what I read but idk sounds like something a large company would do

I dont know the thought process in not declaring an emergency, but it was wrong. And yes, the train was intentionally ignited.  They decided it was better to burn it all off rather than try and clean up the liquid.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

I dont know the thought process in not declaring an emergency, but it was wrong. And yes, the train was intentionally ignited.  They decided it was better to burn it all off rather than try and clean up the liquid.

I bet they decided it was really just cheaper rather than safer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Thats exactly what they decided. Way cheaper to burn it off and spend the next 20+ years fighting it in court than to properly clean it up now.

Damn fuckin shame but so unsurprising.  We are asked to do things like ban straws and plastic bags yet corporations can render an entire county uninhabitable and it’s fine. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

First on CNN: CDC team studying health impacts of Ohio train derailment fell ill during investigation

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/31/health/ohio-train-derailment-cdc-team-symptoms/index.html

"Seven US government investigators briefly fell ill in early March while studying the possible health impacts of a toxic train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

The investigators’ symptoms included sore throats, headaches, coughing and nausea – consistent with what some residents experienced after the February 3 train derailment that released a cocktail of hazardous chemicals into the air, water and soil."

But its totally OK for everyone to stay there. Im sure that there is no chance of long term health problems due to exposure of any of these chemicals. Nope. Everything will be just fine.