UnevenEdge

Justin Roiland arrested for domestic battery and false imprisonment

Jman

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

This is where I pump the brakes. The felony charges are real, and we will see what comes of them at trial. But every single time a prominent person catches some charges, there is always a stream of people who go “uhhhh actually he did that to me too I suddenly remember now that I see charges have been filed!” More often than not, these tales are either grossly exaggerated or entirely fabricated. Do I believe Roiland is the type of person where these could be true? Absolutely. But I also believe there is always a stream of nobodies who think they can ride the felony charge coattails into a few minutes of notoriety. 

I have been hearing since R&M started that Roiland and Harmon are creeps. If anything was bad enough, you would have come forward BEFORE someone else got charges to stick. 

Not to mention, it will be a cold day in hell before I believe “themarysue.com” engages in fair, unbiased reporting 

This is more pointing out the court of public opinion isn’t about to leave this alone.  Unless evidence comes out that absolves Roiland, this will essentially render him toxic for a while, worse if the evidence in trial doesn’t go in his favor.  And with Adult Swim a barren wasteland besides Rick, that puts them in a very, very tough spot.  Adult Swim doesn’t have Family Guy anymore.  Their anime lineup is barren.  The Pickus Rickus has been carrying the entire block ever since FG bounced to Freeform.  Without it, things will rapidly deteriorate unless they do what, want to bring back more ongoing Aqua Teen?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/justin-roiland-domestic-violence-charges-hulu-adult-swim-20th-tv-1235299052/

The Hollywood Reporter has tried to get comments from numerous people invested in Roiland, only to be met with silence.  They're pointing out the silence here. 

And yeah, that High on Life video game is basically a giant Rick and Morty episode.  Namely, shit gets grating VERY quickly.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jman said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/justin-roiland-domestic-violence-charges-hulu-adult-swim-20th-tv-1235299052/

The Hollywood Reporter has tried to get comments from numerous people invested in Roiland, only to be met with silence.  They're pointing out the silence here. 

And yeah, that High on Life video game is basically a giant Rick and Morty episode.  Namely, shit gets grating VERY quickly.

Yup, they're ridin this one out!

They're gonna pay off some people and everything will be fine. Violence against women isn't taken very seriously by the world in general.

If it was we'd have to get rid of half of the NFL.  WOWOW cheap shot.

5 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Literally the exact same shit James Gunn got heat for.

Now he heads the DCCU. Go figure.

Gunn didn’t physically assault anyone, and the rumor was he got the job by default because everyone else Warner approached turned it down.

46 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

The video is of Hartman copulating a toy baby. Gunn did something similar for Troma.

Yeah but that’s Troma.  Weird, edgy shit is their reason for being.  It’s actually kind of weird, you sort of brush shit off from Troma because they’re essentially B-movie shock jocks.

I dunno, does making edgy shit mean you’re predisposed to being a scumbag?  Some would argue it’s essentially acting out in a way they never would in real life.  Others would point to Roiland being an alleged woman beater.

18 hours ago, Jman said:

Rick and Morty nosedived remarkably fast and it's incredible how long it has taken for the bandwagon to evacuate.

It was already souring in season 2. They clearly ran out of ideas for Rick and Morty stories since the only good parts were when it focused on other characters. I don’t know how people enjoyed any of season 3 onward.

45 minutes ago, Jman said:

Yeah but that’s Troma.  Weird, edgy shit is their reason for being.  It’s actually kind of weird, you sort of brush shit off from Troma because they’re essentially B-movie shock jocks.

I dunno, does making edgy shit mean you’re predisposed to being a scumbag?  Some would argue it’s essentially acting out in a way they never would in real life.  Others would point to Roiland being an alleged woman beater.

There's some terminally online people out there who will equate dark comedy to having the potential to become John Wayne Gacy or something Minority Report-style. Put visual evidence of someone making dead baby or pedophile jokes into the wrong hands and someone gets doxxed out of a job.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Yeah the baby doll thing is weird but that's ignoring the entire show that Dan Harmon's girlfriend created about his sex doll.

People paid money to make this.

I’m going to guess he made this while still neck deep in his alcoholism.  

This screams “I’m working through something.”

Edited by Jman

On 1/16/2023 at 8:38 PM, Toonamiguy321 said:

This is where I pump the brakes. The felony charges are real, and we will see what comes of them at trial. But every single time a prominent person catches some charges, there is always a stream of people who go “uhhhh actually he did that to me too I suddenly remember now that I see charges have been filed!” More often than not, these tales are either grossly exaggerated or entirely fabricated. Do I believe Roiland is the type of person where these could be true? Absolutely. But I also believe there is always a stream of nobodies who think they can ride the felony charge coattails into a few minutes of notoriety. 

I have been hearing since R&M started that Roiland and Harmon are creeps. If anything was bad enough, you would have come forward BEFORE someone else got charges to stick. 

Not to mention, it will be a cold day in hell before I believe “themarysue.com” engages in fair, unbiased reporting 

Stories come out after the news breaks because you're less likely to be sued, Shit For Brains. Roiland's career being hurt can be directly tied to his arrest, not by the people who finally feel safe to talk. This thread reminds me of another reason why I never started the show; the fanbase is filled with a bunch of assholes and they turned me off of it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DragonSinger said:

Stories come out after the news breaks because you're less likely to be sued, Shit For Brains. Roiland's career being hurt can be directly tied to his arrest, not by the people who finally feel safe to talk. This thread reminds me of another reason why I never started the show; the fanbase is filled with a bunch of assholes and they turned me off of it.

Lol I’m far away from a hardcore R&M fan. I watch it to keep up, nothing more. I even clearly state he likely did do what the charges accuse him of. 

And your take is so hilariously un-self aware. “Hey look that guy is gonna be busy in court so I won’t get sued when I post this made up monkey shit!” And regardless of that, let’s not sit here and pretend like any women who make shit up ever see any consequences ever. 

This is the hot new trend. Fabricate or exaggerate. Try to hop on the bandwagon to get a little money or attention. 

• D'oh 2

I mean, I'm sure there are some bandwagon jumpers who do it for attention and money, but people who come forward also tend to get a ton of backlash from the accused's supporters and still get put under a lot of scrutiny so I honestly doubt there's very many of them in any given situation.

It makes sense that more victims come forward after one person breaks the ice on an abuser because there's safety in numbers. The thing about assault and harassment is that you can objectively know you weren't responsible but still feel disgusted and guilty with yourself over being the victim. Assault can be an extremely isolating experience and it's pretty understandable why someone would want to keep quiet about it, especially if the perpetrator is somebody well-known or popular. Finding out that it's not just you, that the person who hurt you is actually just a total piece of shit and has hurt other people, can go a huge way to breaking that feeling of isolation and give them the necessary push they need to talk about their abuse.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, Blatch said:

Would that be much of a bad thing, though? Honestly. [as] is a shell of what it used to be, removed of most of its personality and not churning out weird shows like it used to. But paradoxically, even if R&M does get the axe, I think they'll keep the channel around simply because it's a long-lived and familiar brand.

I hope that doesn't happen.  Because even though I'm not interested in Adult Swim anymore, if Adult Swim goes, so too will Toonami go.

On 1/17/2023 at 9:54 PM, Daos said:

Yup, they're ridin this one out!

They're gonna pay off some people and everything will be fine. Violence against women isn't taken very seriously by the world in general.

If it was we'd have to get rid of half of the NFL.  WOWOW cheap shot.

That's assuming they're willing to be paid off.  At least one person isn't, if she's taking it to criminal court.

I admit I know basically nothing about courts but I feel like once it graduates out of civil court to a big boy felony charge, they're not allowed to just quietly settle with the victim and sweep everything under the rug. I'd assume at that point it turns into a real government thing and becomes a lot harder to bury it.

• Like 4

On 1/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, Daos said:

They haven't offered enough money yet =P

On 1/23/2023 at 1:19 AM, EmpressAngel said:

I admit I know basically nothing about courts but I feel like once it graduates out of civil court to a big boy felony charge, they're not allowed to just quietly settle with the victim and sweep everything under the rug. I'd assume at that point it turns into a real government thing and becomes a lot harder to bury it.

Well, the woman is pressing charges in criminal court.  If she was willing to be paid off, she wouldn't be doing this.  But yeah, maybe the government would prosecute it regardless at this point, I don't know.