UnevenEdge

Netflix poaches Black Clover from Toonami, plan to air original movie March 31, 2023

Jman

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

If it's a stand-alone movie, it may not be THAT bad. Toonami could still get a continuation of the series. They were pretty much able to air the first 4 seasons of 170 episodes with no non-COVID related issues, so that's a good sign.

Black Clover is part of Crunchyroll now, they weren’t going to be able to air it regardless 

• Confused 1

Toonami hardly ever airs anime movies anymore, especially when they're Shonen Jump tie-ins, so I'm not as bummed about this as I was ten years ago when [as] just refused to air the third and fourth Bleach movies.

What concerns me is that they won't be able to get most, if not all, of the dub cast back. Though Netflix seems infinitely more likely to agree to #JustAMeeting than Crunchyroll.

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

What concerns me is that they won't be able to get most, if not all, of the dub cast back. Though Netflix seems infinitely more likely to agree to #JustAMeeting than Crunchyroll.

AFAIK, Netflix has exclusively done union dubs for their anime since 2019. I'm not sure how things would work, but it probably wouldn't be an issue to lure in the necessary actors from the Texas-based talent pool.

12 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

If it's a stand-alone movie, it may not be THAT bad. Toonami could still get a continuation of the series. They were pretty much able to air the first 4 seasons of 170 episodes with no non-COVID related issues, so that's a good sign.

Black Clover is under Crunchyroll now, so we aren’t ever going to see it back on the block. Not that it’s a huge problem right now, I’m sure the movie will push off the next season for at least a year. 

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

AFAIK, Netflix has exclusively done union dubs for their anime since 2019. I'm not sure how things would work, but it probably wouldn't be an issue to lure in the necessary actors from the Texas-based talent pool.

While Netflix has never bothered to bring in prior cast from Texas dubs going LA, they might actually do it this time and I applaud them if they do and get that entire cast on a union contract. I would not be surprised if there are some recasts but I hope they make a point of getting as many of the original cast members back as they can. They got back several from New York for Shaman King and Tia Ballard as well as Colleen Clinkenberd were in Eden Zero. So I really hope this doesn’t go like Saiki K or Takagi-san.

10 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Black Clover is under Crunchyroll now, so we aren’t ever going to see it back on the block. Not that it’s a huge problem right now, I’m sure the movie will push off the next season for at least a year. 

Depends on the contract that was inked for it back in 2017. We're expecting AOT to finish on Toonami and THAT's a Crunchyroll show too. Or rather a "Funimation × Crunchyroll" show. There may actually be a shot at Toonami getting those if they've aired previous seasons, and that bodes well for Dr. Stone and Fire Force as well.

Mob Psycho 2 & 3, Megalobox: Nomad, and Demon Slayer 2 are different because they were originally either Aniplex or Crunchyroll and became associated with Funimation post-merger. At least that's my theory.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Depends on the contract that was inked for it back in 2017. We're expecting AOT to finish on Toonami and THAT's a Crunchyroll show too. Or rather a "Funimation × Crunchyroll" show. There may actually be a shot at Toonami getting those if they've aired previous seasons, and that bodes well for Dr. Stone and Fire Force as well.

Mob Psycho 2 & 3, Megalobox: Nomad, and Demon Slayer 2 are different because they were originally either Aniplex or Crunchyroll and became associated with Funimation post-merger. At least that's my theory.

The only show Toonami ever secured long term rights to was AoT. Then Funi put an end to those kind of deals because it didn’t benefit them in any way. 

If those types of deals were still on the table, I’m sure they would have made one for MHA. So if the current season misses the block then we can safely assume stuff like Black Clover, Dr Stone and Fire Force are also off the table for good 

9 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

The only show Toonami ever secured long term rights to was AoT. Then Funi put an end to those kind of deals because it didn’t benefit them in any way. 

If those types of deals were still on the table, I’m sure they would have made one for MHA. So if the current season misses the block then we can safely assume stuff like Black Clover, Dr Stone and Fire Force are also off the table for good 

FUNi DID!? No other since AOT has had it? Do you know that with any certainty or are you just B.S.ing??

Either way, maybe Toonami could use Pierrot to back-door it if they really wanna show more Black Clover...

• Like 1

Nothing got "poached" here. The movie apparently has a completely different production group behind it than the series, which is presumably why it wound up on Netflix and not Crunchyroll. Granted, it seems like very long odds that the series will wind up on the block again (oh no I am heartbroken), but that has nothing to do with this movie either way.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Nothing got "poached" here. The movie apparently has a completely different production group behind it than the series, which is presumably why it wound up on Netflix and not Crunchyroll. Granted, it seems like very long odds that the series will wind up on the block again (oh no I am heartbroken), but that has nothing to do with this movie either way.

Yeah, unfortunately Adult Swim and Toonami are not owed anything. It sucks but this is the current landscape.