UnevenEdge

Salman Rushdie Stabbed in NYC

1pooh4u

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

Damn I guess Fatwahs are forever 

https://nypost.com/2022/08/12/salman-rushdie-on-a-ventilator-likely-to-lose-an-eye-after-attack/amp/

Terrible that it had to happen in nyc 😬

Damn, he got the moderator too....if it did have to do with the fatwah, why attack him too....but the evidence against him points to it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewBluntsworth said:

Idk a single thing about Salman Rushdie except the Seinfeld ep, so if I had to guess where this happened I would have said NYC

That episode be a stupid guess normally But he’s the guy who wrote Satanic Verses and had a fatwah put on him by the ayatollah 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

And here comes the fake Salman Rushdie knower-abouter. Well go on then, regurgitate what you saw on Reddit, as you so often do. 

Everyone should know who Salman Rushdie is without Reddit, seeing as he's a central figure in Iran's relationship with the West.  An ardent anti-imperialist  such as yourself would know that Khomeini's response to that book is often used to foment sentiment against Iran particularly when it comes to Iran's prominent conflict with Isreal.  In fact, most people likely would have forgotten Khomeini if not for The Satanic Verses giving him a new international platform.

• D'oh 1

3 hours ago, NewBluntsworth said:

No idea what that is 

It was a novel about a dude losing his mind and his faith but part of the book has the main character tumbling to earth with Satan I think it punched holes in the Islamic faith and the ayatollah put a fatwah out on him. 35 years later someone got him

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Verses_controversy#:~:text=In Islamic communities%2C the novel,demanding that it be withdrawn.

apparently in 1998 the new ayatollah no longer supported killing him but fatwahs can’t be rescinded. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

You just can't help exposing yourself as a fraud, can you?

Which do you think he would characterize himself as - the righteous family man who transforms into a stinking devil while still being righteous or the completely vain fraud who transforms into an angel while still being a complete dick? 

And yes, I read the book ages ago. Banned books wet my whistle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • D'oh 1

2 hours ago, Insipid said:

Doing stunts like this just makes him better known to the public. The attacker didn't even succeed in killing him, so congrats on failing on two accounts.

Well he’s on a ventilator and probably is going to lose his eye. So there’s that. 

• Thanks 1

To therefore add context to my comment, I've read the book in question and the fatwah is total political bullcrap to keep a certain faction 'relevant'. If they had never said word one about it, no one would have read it. It would never have become the type of bestseller classic that it did because its just one of those books that appeal to a slim section of the reading population - those that enjoy books set in foreign lands with a tinge of the surreal. But give it that punch of controversary and ban it, everyone ends up at least knowing about it. 

Further, any fundamentalist Muslim who loses their mind over a visual or textual description of Mohammad is doing the exact thing they are accusing that person of doing - putting the figure of the human ahead of the message. They are actively creating a sacred image by screaming about any image. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

Nobody posts in thunderdome and anyway why, so your fakemods can change my posts around to say something stupid, I've seen how your fakemods do. No, this is the salmon thread 

This thread is what I Fuckin say it is, fool 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sawdy said:

It’s just weird to think, the dude is 24… like…. He wasn’t around for the 1989 shit… idk

There are people praising the attack of him in Iran, and hezbollah denies knowing the kid. What other beef could he have had with the dude? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

There are people praising the attack of him in Iran, and hezbollah denies knowing the kid. What other beef could he have had with the dude? 

No clue, just seems odd that he’s so young and he took this kind of shot… I mean, I’ll never understand what motivates people to do shit like that.

• Like 2