UnevenEdge

NFL 2022/23 DUCK, DUCK, MONKEY POX NOW WITH 1% LESS COVID

1pooh4u

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

So who's a better fit for the Jets:  Rogers or Carr?

Talent: Rodgers. He's got great accuracy and touch despite being almost 40.

Youth/Image: Carr. He's still young enough to improve any team he's on. Plus, it's not like he hasn't played well enough to win games this past season. The Raiders let him down a lot.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

Talent: Rodgers. He's got great accuracy and touch despite being almost 40.

Youth/Image: Carr. He's still young enough to improve any team he's on. Plus, it's not like he hasn't played well enough to win games this past season. The Raiders let him down a lot.

But you're not a Jets fan.

Teams will get compensatory picks if they hire Black coaches. It’s fuckin sad that we have to resort to bribing teams to hire people. That tells me right there that the NFL is damn well aware that qualified Black people aren’t being hired. the nfl being +75% Black it’s laughable to think “none are qualified HCs”

6 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Teams will get compensatory picks if they hire Black coaches. It’s fuckin sad that we have to resort to bribing teams to hire people. That tells me right there that the NFL is damn well aware that qualified Black people aren’t being hired. the nfl being +75% Black it’s laughable to think “none are qualified HCs”

The issue I have with Eric Bieniemy feeling like he had to become the OC for the Commies is "Oh, he's difficult to work with or whatever, that's why he hasn't been a HC yet."

Like Urban Meyer didn't get 3/4ths of a season with Jacksonville and Adam Gase didn't trick two different teams into hiring him despite both being assholes.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Seight said:

The issue I have with Eric Bieniemy feeling like he had to become the OC for the Commies is "Oh, he's difficult to work with or whatever, that's why he hasn't been a HC yet."

Like Urban Meyer didn't get 3/4ths of a season with Jacksonville and Adam Gase didn't trick two different teams into hiring him despite both being assholes.

Fuckin Gase was addicted to smelling salts. Can’t forget that. Bienemy is one of the best OCs around 

• Like 2

• 1pooh4u unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Aaron Rodgers says his intention is to play for the Jets. This is something I never wanted. I wanted Garoppolo or Carr. Lamar Jackson or Mayfield over a 39 yo diva QB who trips balls in the desert as a means of decision making. He’s also a dick but apparently players like him despite his diva tendencies. Let’s see how the young locker room of the Jets fares under Rodgers, if he in fact comes, he probably definitely is cuz the jets picked up Lazard, his fav target (or one of), when Rodgers doesn’t produce cuz the o line can’t hold on long enough for him to make plays. 

I just got my doubts. Apparently he’s a jet already and has been since this past Friday. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

I’m getting heavy deja vu cuz Brett Farve. 

Yeah, who would've thought there would be a sequel to that story? Hopefully, he ends up staying more than a year with Gang Green. (Or do you want him to move on after this coming season?)

23 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Aaron Rodgers says his intention is to play for the Jets. This is something I never wanted. I wanted Garoppolo or Carr. Lamar Jackson or Mayfield over a 39 yo diva QB who trips balls in the desert as a means of decision making. He’s also a dick but apparently players like him despite his diva tendencies. Let’s see how the young locker room of the Jets fares under Rodgers, if he in fact comes, he probably definitely is cuz the jets picked up Lazard, his fav target (or one of), when Rodgers doesn’t produce cuz the o line can’t hold on long enough for him to make plays. 

I just got my doubts. Apparently he’s a jet already and has been since this past Friday. 

Also, CALLED IT! I knew you would've preferred Carr or Garoppolo.

Edited by SuperWastedOnLife
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Packers agreed to terms with the Jets we got Rodgers and we swapped first round picks this year so they pick 13 and they 15. A conditional 2nd in 2024 and the jets get a 5th round pick idk but it’s not that bad 

I think he's going to fit in nicely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1pooh4u said:

Yeah, idk I always thought he was a douche. Good thing I don’t gotta work with him 😆

seriously though I hope he has a good season and is well liked by his teammates 

He is a douche, but he's a douche that somehow plays decent football despite being a douche.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Packers agreed to terms with the Jets we got Rodgers and we swapped first round picks this year so they pick 13 and they 15. A conditional 2nd in 2024 and the jets get a 5th round pick idk but it’s not that bad 

He's going to New York so this either ends with the Jets improving more or Rodgers taking over Tucker Carlson's timeslot on Fox News by the start of next year and there's no middle ground.

• Haha 3

Also, the conditional 2024 2nd round pick the Packers are getting from the Jets turns into a 1st round pick if Rodgers plays 65% of the Jets' offensive plays in 2023. So Pooh, pray he gets injured halfway through the season so you can keep that first-rounder for next year.

Edited by Gemini

1 hour ago, Gemini said:

Also, the conditional 2024 2nd round pick the Packers are getting from the Jets turns into a 1st round pick if Rodgers plays 65% of the Jets' offensive plays in 2023. So Pooh, pray he gets injured halfway through the season so you can keep that first-rounder for next year.

They’re probably going to get that 1st round 

Rodgers chose to wear #8. Namath said he’d unretire #12 so Rodgers could wear it. I actually think a smidgen better about Rodgers for declining the offer.  It’s just a number wgaf, right? But it means a lot to the players so I think it was a gracious offer by Namath and it was graciously declined by Rodgers.  I like seeing this type of thing 

• Like 1

And we jump up to number 3. The Texans select Will Anderson, Jr. third overall.

I wonder what we gave up in order to move up?

Edit: We gave up quite a bit. The 12th overall pick, a second-round pick from this year (33rd), and a first and a third from next year's draft. A little hefty, but I think it's totally worth it.

Edited by Gemini

10 hours ago, Gemini said:

And we jump up to number 3. The Texans select Will Anderson, Jr. third overall.

I wonder what we gave up in order to move up?

Edit: We gave up quite a bit. The 12th overall pick, a second-round pick from this year (33rd), and a first and a third from next year's draft. A little hefty, but I think it's totally worth it.

Fun fact, this trade is how I remembered Marvin Harrison Jr. isn't draft-eligible yet.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gemini said:

Then I'll just assume you're trolling. lol

The draft only ends up in disappointment for the vast majority of teams and players.  Teams that are shitty enough to be at the top of the draft inevitably fail to develop those players.  Those players, in turn, might get slightly more than their lower counterparts for their rookie contracts, but the absence of any real development means they wash out in a few years.  The players that are in the draft that are most likely to succeed are announced on the ESPN ticker a day or so after the first round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The draft only ends up in disappointment for the vast majority of teams and players.  Teams that are shitty enough to be at the top of the draft inevitably fail to develop those players.  Those players, in turn, might get slightly more than their lower counterparts for their rookie contracts, but the absence of any real development means they wash out in a few years.  The players that are in the draft that are most likely to succeed are announced on the ESPN ticker a day or so after the first round.

That's fair. I can't really disagree with you on that. I will say, however, that in order for any college player to make in the NFL at all, you have to have a decent to great combination of intangibles, character, raw talent (in some cases, combined with athleticism), and work ethic, with at least one of those topped out.

Look at Tom Brady, for example. Not a good athletic specimen nor did he have a lot of apparent raw talent. However, his character (well, for the most part, anyway) and intangibles were great, and we all know his work ethic broke the friggin' scale. Granted, his falling to the sixth round put a massive chip on his shoulder, but remember this part as well: He grew up a 49ers fan, and they passed on him in the third round by selecting a guy who didn't even play a down in the NFL. (Now this probably actually makes you point even more valid, but there's a point to this.) Compare him to legendary bust Ryan Leaf. Leaf had all sorts of raw talent, but his intangibles were questionable, his work ethic was also questionable, and his character was pretty much non-existent, and several teams at the time thought he was better than Peyton Manning, (Team culture also plays a factor, but not all the time.)

Case in point: I do agree with you quite a bit, but I have throw in the caveat that it should really be judged on a case by case basis because it can be s a perfect storm of greatness for some and a perfect storm of suck for others.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gemini said:

That's fair. I can't really disagree with you on that. I will say, however, that in order for any college player to make in the NFL at all, you have to have a decent to great combination of intangibles, character, raw talent (in some cases, combined with athleticism), and work ethic, with at least one of those topped out.

Look at Tom Brady, for example. Not a good athletic specimen nor did he have a lot of apparent raw talent. However, his character (well, for the most part, anyway) and intangibles were great, and we all know his work ethic broke the friggin' scale. Granted, his falling to the sixth round put a massive chip on his shoulder, but remember this part as well: He grew up a 49ers fan, and they passed on him in the third round by selecting a guy who didn't even play a down in the NFL. (Now this probably actually makes you point even more valid, but there's a point to this.) Compare him to legendary bust Ryan Leaf. Leaf had all sorts of raw talent, but his intangibles were questionable, his work ethic was also questionable, and his character was pretty much non-existent, and several teams at the time thought he was better than Peyton Manning, (Team culture also plays a factor, but not all the time.)

Case in point: I do agree with you quite a bit, but I have throw in the caveat that it should really be judged on a case by case basis because it can be s a perfect storm of greatness for some and a perfect storm of suck for others.

Tom Brady is a terrible example.  He went in a low round with a lot of other football players that weren’t deemed to have enough character.  It just proves the prognosticators don’t actually know.

14 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Tom Brady is a terrible example.  He went in a low round with a lot of other football players that weren’t deemed to have enough character.  It just proves the prognosticators don’t actually know.

Yeah, you're right about that. It's definitely a flawed process, but it's the best we got.

38 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Yeah, you're right about that. It's definitely a flawed process, but it's the best we got.

I don’t see the need for it.  The idea was to give struggling and small market teams the opportunity to compete.  In every other sport, it is critical to parity but in the NFL it just ends up filtering talent to the same teams.

11 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I guess I should say the draft isn’t necessarily the problem, but the process is far from the best we can do.  Maybe a lottery is what needs to happen.

Like how the NBA and NHL have? Yeah, I'd be for that, too.

• Like 1

Of course, I just realized that the NBA and NHL have the first half of the first round determined by a lottery (ideally involving those franchises that failed to make their league's respective postseason) and the rest of the entire draft (round by round) determined by how each respective team finished the season. I mean there's been demand amongst those that cover the NFL that the league switches to a first-round draft format similar to the aforementioned leagues. (I remember Mike Greenberg wanting this several years back when he and Mike Golic had their weekday morning radio show on ESPN Radio.) I just don't think the support for it is loud enough for the league to actually go to that, unfortunately. This is the same league, mind you, that insists on the possibility of regular sesaon games ending in a tie, which I personally don't like, but also because it would also affect playoff positioning and even playoff qualification. (But that's a discussion for another time.) Case in point: The team owners in the league are stubborn and want to stick to the status quo, for better or worse, which sucks because instilling a Draft Lottery would, at least to some degree, discourage teams from tanking. (But you have those owners in the league.who would hate that because they see owning a sports franchise as a "status symbol" of their wealth.)

Tl;dr: It's a great idea, but it's up to someone to aggressively push for it in NFL Owners' meetings. Otherwise, we'll never see it in the NFL.

Edited by Gemini
One too many spaces between a couple words. I ain't Ghostrek, damn it!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My other half’s cousin is going to the NE v Jets game.  I wanted to go the KC night game the following week but kids are going and it’s a late night. Anywho tickets shot up in price. I used to get end zone tix for about $100-125 now those tix are +$300. Luckily I purchased my tickets in the 300 section yesterday cuz tix in the same or similar section went up in price.  Tix that cost me $130 yesterday would have costed me +$200 today and they didn’t even win a fuckin game yet. The 300’s ain’t bad the way the stadium is set up the view is pretty damn good like actually better for viewing the field than tix I usually get.  Just fuckin nuts how $$$$ it got for a team that had losing record for the last decade 

• Like 1