UnevenEdge

Cosmo Samurai 2 Discussion

Blatch

So this got announced on air last week, and yet nobody made a big deal about it. I've only seen one mention on here in the Shenmue thread. But yes, a new installment of this non-canonical TIE only Poke could love is happening, tying into Toonami's 25th birthday. Here's the promo:

Seems more fitting of the series' title, don't ya think? Catch it for the next four weeks, starting tonight at 1:00A.

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2022 at 1:02 AM, ben0119 said:

I don't think I ever saw the first Cosmo Samurai.  Didn't they show it during a marathon or something?  A poor decision on their part.

You can watch the whole thing here if you're interested.

Yeah, this first installment is definitely easier to peg as Tsuru's style than the first one. Can't wait to see what happens next.

On 2/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, ben0119 said:

I don't think I ever saw the first Cosmo Samurai.  Didn't they show it during a marathon or something?  A poor decision on their part.

The first one aired over 4 weeks at the top of the block last year. As memory serves, DBS reruns were the first show on the block at the time so I wouldn't blame anyone for missing these shorts last year.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 2:14 AM, Sketch said:

The first one aired over 4 weeks at the top of the block last year. As memory serves, DBS reruns were the first show on the block at the time so I wouldn't blame anyone for missing these shorts last year.

Yeah that must have been why I never watched it haha.

Yeah, that was... a lot. What I got out of it was some shit involving a time loop. I guess the cat created it when he made TOM, which the villain thought would make the perfect body to use to do evil stuff? Also, the ninja lady has clones, and she goes through their bodies like bottled water. But what about the other two? I could criticize it, but then again, this TIE is already beyond the pale given its generic origins. I don't mind coming along for the ride, even if it's barely comprehensible. And hey: least it's better than Sand Whale and Me.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2022 at 2:14 AM, Sketch said:

Yeah, it certainly helps that the sequel just happens to be a commercial break removed from one of the Top 5 hottest animated shows on the planet right now.

Okay, so that was... yeah. A fittingly quixotic end for a series no one expected a sequel to. I did think the idea of killing Jaaku in the past with a faster-than-light arrow was pretty cool, though. On top of that, Sentai did the subs for this too? They're really taking over the block, as I think they should.

[think we can get hamefura on toonami?]

Ehh, I think this crowd has had enough lawlharems after Tenchi GXP went to 12 with the genre trappings.

Overall, while the technical production was definitely a slight step up from the original, and the visual direction moreso, I doubt this sophomore installment was really needed, per se. Then again, based on today's new show announcements, we should just leave it to Demarco to make sequels of whatever he finds cool.

The biggest disappointment, though, was Toshiyuki Tsuru not coming back to direct it. At some point during the wait between 3 and 4, I realized that this sequel was probably Takashi Sano's doing instead.

[think we can get tower of god on toonami?]

• Like 2