UnevenEdge

Demarco confirms the reason toonami isn't getting DS S2 is because it's price was too high

CountFrylock

also in other replies he stated the following

1. they don't want many long runners on the block(so those thinking boruto might be returning soon...nope)

2.someone mentioned toonami's month of premieres to him(a new show every week for the next month or so)an asked how many more could we expect to see? demarco replied saying there will be two or three more additions to the block soon  they just are waiting to get permission to air them

3. they may have to show less shonen content less new popular shows and more originals  maybe they'll have less money to spend on Total Immersion events and packaging for the block

4.everything is up in the air and uncertain in a way it has not been before for toonami

5.there are three originals yet to be announced slated for next year

6.he's happy with the performances of the toonami originals so far and they'll be up on hbo max sooner rather than later where they'll reach a much larger audience

1.  After Mugen Train beat Mortal Kombat at the box office (a film that did well enough on HBO Max to get a sequel mind you), it made a sad amount of sense that Sony would jack up the price.  I do expect it to air on Netflix in the summer.

rengoku-kyojuro-eat.gif 

https://tenor.com/bCzQU.gif

2.  Well that disqualifies Fairy Tail if they want to tone down the long runners.  Personally I thought DeMarco would want it just to have it opposite Eden's Zero.

3.  How does more originals make sense?  Originals cost money and Crunchyroll isn't around anymore to help foot half the bill.  Where's the money going to come from, who are they going to work with, and what original concepts will they use?  Netflix can do it because they're Netflix and they have a massive warchest since they do see anime as a huge growth sector, even if it is to facilitate live-action adaptations (stares at that Bebop disaster).  I can only imagine the fees on existing properties.  (No, DeMarco will not be the one to make Cannon God Exaxxion).

4.  Can't say the block being on uncertain footing is anything new.  Ever since the pendulum shifted towards streaming, it's been a struggle for the block. Lower ratings, more difficulty getting shows, and this creeping feeling of obsolescence.  It's not yet, but more people are watching anime than ever (Inside Job had a joke about it where the main character goes "Of course I've seen Akira!" when asked) and Toonami's ratings are a fraction of what they were in the mid 2010s.

5.  Three originals?  My guess they were from the short-lived alliance between CR and Toonami.  Knowing our luck, they're High Guardian Spice, Onyx Equinox, and Ex-Arm.

6.  Well, HBO Max actually beat all of its expectations, probably thanks to Warner's Hail Mary play of same-day movie releases (which they had to pull back to a 45 day release window before movie theaters and their supporters in Hollywood out and out boycotted them) and Peacemaker is the most popular streaming show of January.  But that's my point about streaming all over.  I guess this does mean we'll see the Shenmue dub on HBO Max at least.

They don't want too many long-runners on the block, so they added One Piece with Shippuden already here?  Ok then.

All this stuff Demarco is saying does not sound good AT ALL.  I like to look at the glass half full, but Demarco is laying it out pretty clear here, and it's hard to put a positive spin on any of it.  Toonami is having budget cuts and will have greater difficulty getting new hit shows and shonens (there is some overlap there honestly.)

This basically means I won't have Toonami as a "guide" anymore and I'll have to decide for myself which new hit shows to watch, and figure out where to watch them. 

And I probably won't have anyone to discuss them with.  I don't like the format for Reddit or Twitter at all, and of course, if I decide to watch dubbed, as is my preference typically, I'll have even less discussion options, as the spoiler etiquette on social media is nothing like it is on forums.

This can also cause a negative feedback loop, because with Toonami not being able to air many new hit shows, their ratings will go down even more and their budget will get cut even further, and their options will become even more limited, and on and on it goes!

On 1/30/2022 at 3:01 AM, ben0119 said:

They don't want too many long-runners on the block, so they added One Piece with Shippuden already here?  Ok then.

All this stuff Demarco is saying does not sound good AT ALL.  I like to look at the glass half full, but Demarco is laying it out pretty clear here, and it's hard to put a positive spin on any of it.  Toonami is having budget cuts and will have greater difficulty getting new hit shows and shonens (there is some overlap there honestly.)

This basically means I won't have Toonami as a "guide" anymore and I'll have to decide for myself which new hit shows to watch, and figure out where to watch them. 

And I probably won't have anyone to discuss them with.  I don't like the format for Reddit or Twitter at all, and of course, if I decide to watch dubbed, as is my preference typically, I'll have even less discussion options, as the spoiler etiquette on social media is nothing like it is on forums.

This can also cause a negative feedback loop, because with Toonami not being able to air many new hit shows, their ratings will go down even more and their budget will get cut even further, and their options will become even more limited, and on and on it goes!

I've seen some on reddit say toonami should focus on being a curator for obscure series that fell under the radar and this could really help out the block tremendously

toonami curator.JPG

Edited by CountFrylock

The problem with the idea that Toonami should start chasing obscure series is that people have been saying this for years. I don't know if this is falling on deaf ears or the fandom just isn't being vocal enough, but you'd think management would've caught on by now. As it stands, the block is doing much better than a few months ago, even if Made in Abyss is about it as far as older, non-shonen series are concerned, and I'm okay with that. Too bad their Crunchyroll originals haven't inspired confidence so far. Maybe if they continue to fail, that'll be what causes them start appealing to obscurity?

52 minutes ago, Blatch said:

The problem with the idea that Toonami should start chasing obscure series is that people have been saying this for years. I don't know if this is falling on deaf ears or the fandom just isn't being vocal enough, but you'd think management would've caught on by now. As it stands, the block is doing much better than a few months ago, even if Made in Abyss is about it as far as older, non-shonen series are concerned, and I'm okay with that. Too bad their Crunchyroll originals haven't inspired confidence so far. Maybe if they continue to fail, that'll be what causes them start appealing to obscurity?

obscure content typically doesn't draw a huge crowd....it's obscure for a reason and i imagine being that they are still a business

that's the reason they never went all in on the stranger stuff when they could access the popular shows

however now that there's less money to go around and they can't access fresh content

they may have no choice but to start shopping at the dollar general section for shows

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

reminder there are people who think AS/Toonami is a bane of anime lover's existence and that people should rejoice when they are denied a series

People want anime on the biggest field possible.  Ass end Sunday morning is not that spot.

25 minutes ago, Jman said:

People want anime on the biggest field possible.  Ass end Sunday morning is not that spot.

And I'm not saying it is...but if you have shit internet(which still accounts for a lot of people)then streaming services aren't viable for you whatsoever

besides that...hating toonami's guts because They Had temporary Exclusivity on some shows is really petty and immature

Toonami  operates as a business on cable television and has to do what they can to remain relevant...no matter if you agree with it or not

after all do you honestly think toonami can keep going without any heavy hitters on the block and having to rely on bargain bin older titles?

i don't think so....it might seem appealing at first but it wouldn't take long for people to lose interest in staying up late to watch stuff from 5-10 years ago

Edited by CountFrylock

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Not unless something changes.

And if it does, you can bet this time Toonami will be smart and lock in a rate for Season 3 and beyond!

DeMarco always gets the last laugh!

Do you think he'll get the last laugh honestly?....he didn't seem all that confident in the tweets i read when he went over how they might have to get more weird and experimental less popular shows

On 2/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Hey, One Piece is back, and who in the hell saw THAT coming? And remember how glib he was about Netflix's Cowboy Bebop failure?

Never say never!

i know but i just don't want toonami to be devoid of modern content entirely aside from originals....maybe I'm the weird one

because i keep seeing people hyped about more obscure content hitting the block which i can understand

however without any kind of heavy hitters i just don't think toonami can keep the block going and i don't think they can keep the hype flowing either in that situation

we still have attack on titan final season part 2 but then what?....after that it's uncertain

Edited by CountFrylock

20 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i know but i just don't want toonami to be devoid of modern content entirely aside from originals....maybe I'm the weird one

because i keep seeing people hyped about more obscure content hitting the block which i can understand

however without any kind of heavy hitters i just don't think toonami can keep the block going and i don't think they can keep the hype flowing either in that situation

we still have attack on titan final season part 2 but then what?....after that it's uncertain

Toonami’s not going anywhere even if they can never get Demon Slayer season 2.

If they are froze out of MHA this Fall that’s quite a bit more alarming but it remains to be seen.

And looking at the 2022 year of anime what other heavy hitters are there besides those two, Bleach in the Fall and Titan which they probably have?

Demon Slayer certainly would be great to have right now but I don’t honestly think it would alone would significantly help Toonami this year. And if there’s a time when they really need it that will arguably be after Titan and Shenmue end. Maybe they will get it by then, not that people won’t have already watched it in droves by Spring.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Toonami’s not going anywhere even if they can never get Demon Slayer season 2.

If they are froze out of MHA this Fall that’s quite a bit more alarming but it remains to be seen.

And looking at the 2022 year of anime what other heavy hitters are there besides those two, Bleach in the Fall and Titan which they probably have?

Demon Slayer certainly would be great to have right now but I don’t honestly think it would alone would significantly help Toonami this year. And if there’s a time when they really need it that will arguably be after Titan and Shenmue end. Maybe they will get it by then, not that people won’t have already watched it in droves by Spring.

I'm not saying toonami will cease to exist without demon slayer but that attack on titan alone can't carry the block

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I'm not saying toonami will cease to exist without demon slayer but that attack on titan alone can't carry the block

Then what do YOU think can carry the block? No singular show can but a combination of good/interesting/engaging shows might.

• Like 2

To be fair, I think the block was doing better with the Fena/MHA combo than the recent Black Lotus/Ass Class combo. Or pretty much whatever came after BL in November and December.

But if AOT is indeed coming and taking the Midnight slot from BL to lead into Shenmue, that just might produce the best ratings so far of 2022. Man are we EVER missing Family Guy though!

29 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

To be fair, I think the block was doing better with the Fena/MHA combo than the recent Black Lotus/Ass Class combo. Or pretty much whatever came after BL in November and December.

But if AOT is indeed coming and taking the Midnight slot from BL to lead into Shenmue, that just might produce the best ratings so far of 2022. Man are we EVER missing Family Guy though!

It is difficult to say how well Fena and MHA would have done without Family Guy carrying the night until October but I suspect Black Lotus would not have done better than Fena under the same circumstances.

We’ll also only ever be able to guess if leading with MHA and pairing Fena with YashaHime would have yielded better results during the Summer but… it probably would have.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

what if toonami added a family guy style anime...would that help?

On 2/2/2022 at 5:39 PM, CountFrylock said:

however without any kind of heavy haitters i just don't think toonami can keep the block going and i don't think they can keep the hype flowing either in that situation

If you're acknowledging you're the weird one, maybe you could be slightly less vocal about it? It feels like almost all the discussion in here the last few weeks, maybe even last couple of months, has stemmed from you and your fears for Toonami's future. I only respond because I have nothing better to do, and I don't have any good ideas for topics either. 😑

1 minute ago, Blatch said:

If you're acknowledging you're the weird one, maybe you could be slightly less vocal about it? It feels like almost all the discussion in here the last few weeks, maybe even last couple of months, has stemmed from you and your fears for Toonami's future. I only respond because I have nothing better to do, and I don't have any good ideas for topics either. 😑

well there's not been much else for anybody to discuss these past months...and even now the block is still in "Mysterious mode"

attack on titan could arrive on the block 2/12...or it could arrive later in the month

we don't know....and not a single word has been spoken about the dub so maybe there's some issues there

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

well there's not been much else for anybody to discuss these past months...and even now the block is still in "Mysterious mode"

attack on titan could arrive on the block 2/12...or it could arrive later in the month

we don't know....and not a single word has been spoken about the dub so maybe there's some issues there

They didn't seem to have any problems dubbing the last batch of episodes, and that was still during the pandemic. Plus, announcing shows with less than a week before their premiere is the new normal for Toonami. It's not a big deal. After that, the schedule should be completely locked in for two months, and I hope that tempers the dooming a bit.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Blatch said:

They didn't seem to have any problems dubbing the last batch of episodes, and that was still during the pandemic. Plus, announcing shows with less than a week before their premiere is the new normal for Toonami. It's not a big deal. After that, the schedule should be completely locked in for two months, and I hope that tempers the dooming a bit.

Demarco did say there's two or three more shows left to announce(one of those being AOT)and since they already booted the second naruto  I'm just gonna assume we're only gonna get one other show aside from attack on titan and it will replace the first one piece episode of the night

Guesses?...Dynazenon wouldn't surprise me as Gridman previously aired on the block and it would fit into that time slot nicely

although since things are still so mysterious around the block (judging from demarco's comments on perhaps picking up weirder shows and more non-shonen content)

Miss Kobayashi's dragon maid would make about as much sense as dynazenon....it's non-shonen content and it would look very weird on toonami

nobody would be expecting it...

On 2/1/2022 at 4:23 PM, Blatch said:

They want that big Original hit though. The want a RE Zero that will become a huge hit and then they can sell assloads of merch and finally make the big money. 

So... more Fena failures a comin!

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, CountFrylock said:

I've seen some on reddit say toonami should focus on being a curator for obscure series that fell under the radar and this could really help out the block tremendously

toonami curator.JPG

That's all well and good, but it isn't sustainable.  Unless Adult Swim is fine with treating Toonami like a true passion project and won't cancel it no matter how bad the ratings get.  Toonami has to earn its keep, and people aren't going to tune in in droves for obscure shows, regardless of their quality.  I can see 1, or 2 obscure titles at the most, at a time, but much more than that is getting risky.

Of course, if they go for older stuff, something that's old isn't necessarily obscure.  Of course, the more popular the older show is, the more people who have seen it and might be less inclined to watch it again on Toonami.  Then again, some people love watching shows again on Toonami and sharing show with first time viewers and seeing how people react to the show and discuss it with them, and there's bound to be some people who never saw a popular show even years after the fact.  We'll just have to see how things turn out.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:42 AM, CountFrylock said:

reminder there are people who think AS/Toonami is a bane of anime lover's existence and that people should rejoice when they are denied a series

Those asses!

On 2/2/2022 at 11:45 AM, Jman said:

Why do they care?  I guess this is the opposite of gatekeeping, they want to spread the word of their favorite shows to the masses like it's a religion. 

Me, I am just happy to have a show I enjoy to watch.  As long as something is successful enough to not get canceled in the middle of the story, I'm good.  Sure, I might wish some stuff I liked was more popular, to have more people to share and discuss it with, but it's just the way it is.  Wrestling is less popular than ever, though WWE is making more money than ever, so go figure!

2 hours ago, Daos said:

They want that big Original hit though. The want a RE Zero that will become a huge hit and then they can sell assloads of merch and finally make the big money. 

So... more Fena failures a comin!

I just did a search.  There's no Fena figures.  I found a Displate and a CD, and a bunch of T-shirts, most of which look like bootlegs because of the odd designs.  So, they didn't even properly merchandise this show, on top of the show itself being mediocre.  They're doubly incompetent!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I just did a search.  There's no Fena figures.  I found a Displate and a CD, and a bunch of T-shirts, most of which look like bootlegs because of the odd designs.  So, they didn't even properly merchandise this show, on top of the show itself being mediocre.  They're doubly incompetent!

Doesn't have to be good to sell merch, but some people need to actually like it. That ending sent it from mediocre to just god awful. You can't sell merch off of stuff zero people care about. Kinda like the Fooly Cooly sequels. But that's the dream and Demarco's ticket out of obscurity.

The only good thing about Fena potentially getting a second season is there might be an opportunity to retcon the last couple of episodes of the first season.

I actually didn't hate the ending, but I do wish they would have done more with Fena's training. Having her shoot a bow and arrow at a pivotal moment in the fight when Abel had the upper hand would at least have been nice. I also would have preferred some kind of showdown between Fena and Grace O'Malley if she wasn't blown to smithereens, apparently, in Episode 7.

16 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The only good thing about Fena potentially getting a second season is there might be an opportunity to retcon the last couple of episodes of the first season.

I actually didn't hate the ending, but I do wish they would have done more with Fena's training. Having her shoot a bow and arrow at a pivotal moment in the fight when Abel had the upper hand would at least have been nice. I also would have preferred some kind of showdown between Fena and Grace O'Malley if she wasn't blown to smithereens, apparently, in Episode 7.

i think what hurts that show the most is initially the name and the poster would lead you to believe Fena would be fighting alongside her allies...that she'd be a pirate princess

however that wasn't the case and she was typically the damsel in distress

• Sad 1

On 2/6/2022 at 4:23 AM, ben0119 said:

Why do they care?  I guess this is the opposite of gatekeeping, they want to spread the word of their favorite shows to the masses like it's a religion. 

Me, I am just happy to have a show I enjoy to watch.  As long as something is successful enough to not get canceled in the middle of the story, I'm good.  Sure, I might wish some stuff I liked was more popular, to have more people to share and discuss it with, but it's just the way it is.  Wrestling is less popular than ever, though WWE is making more money than ever, so go figure!

They care because when Toonami gets a dub exclusively there is no legal way to watch the episodes without cable/satellite/slim package and they want those shows to be available on their preferred streaming platform or at least one a lot of people subscribe to.

I get it but Toonami wants exclusives just like everyone else does. It’s supposedly the only way to compete. But IMO airing the anime on Toonami and streaming it a day after appeases way more people. So that’s the kind of contacts they should get or they could settle for airing anime a week or two behind streaming like with MHA and Fire Force season 1.

17 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They care because when Toonami gets a dub exclusively there is no legal way to watch the episodes without cable/satellite/slim package and they want those shows to be available on their preferred streaming platform or at least one a lot of people subscribe to.

I get it but Toonami wants exclusives just like everyone else does. It’s supposedly the only way to compete. But IMO airing the anime on Toonami and streaming it a day after appeases way more people. So that’s the kind of contacts they should get or they could settle for airing anime a week or two behind streaming like with MHA and Fire Force season 1.

I'm honestly surprised more contracts like the attack on titan one didn't become more common....as you said it would appease more people and neither side would really lose

Toonami gets first dibs but then the streaming service gets to upload it the very next day

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sketch said:

I don’t get it either. There has to be a median between being stuck behind streaming or holding rights to a dub for 2 years while not airing it and also only streaming select parts of it on the website. 

Besides Titan, the best deal Toonami got was the Dimension W deal. They premiered it and then Funimation streamed it 2 weeks later. Japanese companies like their shows on TV and the next day deal (even at the same time) would be 0 downside.

I’m guessing the answer is that Toonami sees no upside to paying extra for what would probably be a similar return. Funimation doesn’t seem interested in it either. In fact, since FN launched there have been 0 dub premieres from them. I caught a lot of hate for saying in 2018 that they don’t seem to want their dubs to premiere on TV anymore. People took that to mean we’d get no shows from them, but Funimation in particular is very big at going direct to consumer. Them releasing the new episodes of DBZ on tape the summer before a new season would start was the beginning of that! 

2 hours ago, brianycpht said:

I don’t get it either. There has to be a median between being stuck behind streaming or holding rights to a dub for 2 years while not airing it and also only streaming select parts of it on the website. 

Besides Titan, the best deal Toonami got was the Dimension W deal. They premiered it and then Funimation streamed it 2 weeks later. Japanese companies like their shows on TV and the next day deal (even at the same time) would be 0 downside.

I’m guessing the answer is that Toonami sees no upside to paying extra for what would probably be a similar return. Funimation doesn’t seem interested in it either. In fact, since FN launched there have been 0 dub premieres from them. I caught a lot of hate for saying in 2018 that they don’t seem to want their dubs to premiere on TV anymore. People took that to mean we’d get no shows from them, but Funimation in particular is very big at going direct to consumer. Them releasing the new episodes of DBZ on tape the summer before a new season would start was the beginning of that! 

the problem though is this results in a very awkward relationship where both sides want to be the one airing it first and nobody can come to an actual agreement that doesn't fuck over the other side completely

Toonami seem more interested in exclusive dub rights than getting to air it one day before it streams and that's just not something any company will agree to in this day and age

but on the other hand i can see funimation feeling like giving toonami the right to air a dub one day before it streams is something that doesn't benefit them in anyway at all

so toonami has to settle for being behind several weeks on any newer titles....

Yes Japanese Companies want their shows on american television but aside from Toei it doesn't seem like something that's gonna happen all that often....

honestly though i do agree there has to be a middle ground between a show being stuck behind a streaming service or toonami hoarding the rights to a dub for years

because right now by the time a dub airs on toonami(excluding originals and AOT)it's old news nobody cares....and that's not something you wanna hear about toonami

Edited by CountFrylock

I think given these rerun ratings, the only hope Toonami has for getting to run Demon Slayer season 2 in 2022 may be for it to get a 9 PM Weeknights Block on TBS after reruns of The Big Bang Theory:

http://www.ratingsryan.com/2022/01/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending_31.html?m=1

Why they didn't try this with Blade Runner: Black Lotus is beyond me (not the whole series; just an episode), especially since the lead character Elle is actually voiced by the actress who played Penny. Do that with a sneak of the first episode and you MIGHT get an untapped potential audience for Toonami!

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I think given these rerun ratings, the only hope Toonami has for getting to run Demon Slayer season 2 in 2022 may be for it to get a 9 PM Weeknights Block on TBS after reruns of The Big Bang Theory:

Why they didn't try this with Blade Runner: Black Lotus is beyond me (not the whole series; just an episode), especially since the lead character Elle is actually voiced by the actress who played Penny. Do that with a sneak of the first episode and you MIGHT get an untapped potential audience for Toonami!

Elle isn’t voiced by Kaley Cuoco, you’re thinking of Harley Quinn.

But given how hard WarnerMedia pushed Black Lotus they really ought to try it on TBS after TBBT or at least on TNT after an action movie.

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Probably because TBS is “Very Funny” and insists on being comedy focused. That’s what screwed over Final Space. All those forces awkward jokes ruined the story 

What ruined Final Space was being "This Shit Is Forced: The Series"

Forced emotional shit and people talking about their feelings every 3 seconds, flat jokes, the annoying insistence to try so hard not to offend anyone that the show becomes borderline "Tumblr Post: The Series"

Forced Insufferable Overwrought Mid-2010's Snowflake Fanfiction To A Non-existant Property That Now In Itself No Longer Exists: The Series. Good riddance.

12 hours ago, brianycpht said:

Probably because TBS is “Very Funny” and insists on being comedy focused. That’s what screwed over Final Space. All those forces awkward jokes ruined the story 

...but wait, TBS DOES air AEW, and NCAA Basketball once a year. And I think they still air movies.

They just acquired AEW at the beginning of 2022, so it might take some time for the change. But if the status quo remains, I'd say it's not too farfetched that, sometime in 2023, the Demon Slayer movie airs on TBS after AEW...

...EVEN IF it still hasn't come to Toonami. On that note, it looks like this season would have some REALLY wonky airtimes, including an hour-long premiere and a 45-MINUTE finale! Maybe it's best that Demon Slayer Season 2 ISN'T coming yet, if ever.

Edited by OwlChemist81

I think the only reason AEW is on TBS now is because TNT got the rights to the NHL, in addition to the NBA rights they've had for years. It helps to have a network free of preemptions from "actual" sports. And on top of this gratuitous use of acronyms, TBS hasn't used the "Very Funny" moniker for years.

Also, Made in Abyss's finale is an hour long. No avoiding that. But either way, I think they could manage a 45-minute slot. Just garnish the episode with a Rick and Morty anime short.

• Thanks 1