UnevenEdge

Volcano go BOOM!

tsar4

5 hours ago, ZoomBubba said:

I have been wondering if it's going to have any temporary effect on the climate like big volcanic blasts often do.

That would be a big no.  You can see the localized cloud from the blast and its pretty obvious that it's not big enough to enter they upper atmosphere like a surface pyroclastic explosion typically can.

5 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

That would be a big no.  You can see the localized cloud from the blast and its pretty obvious that it's not big enough to enter they upper atmosphere like a surface pyroclastic explosion typically can.

I guess because I never saw it from space, but that explosion and the hundreds of miles radius effect was fucking horrifying.

2 minutes ago, Sawdamizer said:

I guess because I never saw it from space, but that explosion and the hundreds of miles radius effect was fucking horrifying.

No doubt.  It isn't any less horrifying to see.  Of course, the difference between this and another volcano on the same plate boundary, Krakatoa, is that this eruption's energy was suppressed enough that people closer to were able to witness it and survive.  This particular region appears to have extremely violent eruptions.