UnevenEdge

what was the last Japanese Animated film to be released nationwide in the united States?

CountFrylock

5 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

If you’re talking about massive releases that last longer than a week, maybe it’d be The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, The Wind Rises or The Secret World of Arrietty. 

yeah that's probably it...thank you

i suppose my problem is Nationwide Anime Movies probably don't mean the same as Nationwide American Movies

Demon Slayer Mugen Train Showed in 1'600  theaters across the country(by it's third weekend it added some to 2'800) which is probably better than most anime films that get released in the united states these days

but that doesn't mean You are guaranteed to be able to see it at the nearest theater

Edited by CountFrylock

5 hours ago, Jman said:

It was.  Its second week saw it out gross the Mortal Kombat reboot.

Yeah I Know that but i suppose like an idiot I Keep thinking Of Nationwide as "You'll be able to see it at the nearest theater no problem" because typically that's what it means for most movies in the united states

that are labeled  that way(Limited Releases Being the opposite)

however i should have known there was no way  Any Anime Movie was going to be shown at most theaters these days instead of a select few

it's still anime after all and no matter how popular it's become

You Can't just Put The Demon Slayer Mugen Train film on in a relatively small town theater where interest is probably very low

Edited by CountFrylock

8 hours ago, elfie said:

Sadly most-to-all anime films never get a complete nationwide release in the US. The days of Disney being interested in them are over.

which is depressing because You'd think the more popular stuff wouldn't need disney attached to them to garner mainstream interest...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, naraku360 said:

I resent the Demon Slayer movie for having the highest grossing theatrical release of all anime movies ever.

Such an accomplishment for a film that released when there were no other movies showing. 👏 

I feel kind of bad about it, but the way the franchise has exploded in popularity has almost turned me off of it somewhat. I mean, the series was good solid shonen, I had fun with it for the most part, but it is Just. Not. That. Special. It sticks to most of the same tropes as everything else in its genre, and really the only thing that sets it apart are the quality character designs and ufotable going ham with effects animation. Oh, and Zenitsu is one of the worst fucking characters I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

I had a pretty good time with the Demon Slayer anime & manga, but that’s mostly because it ended before it overstayed its welcome. 

It’s a well put-together shonen that’s consistently acceptable, but that isn’t as bad when many of today’s beloved shonen need much more time and investment before they hit the same level of quality.

Demon Slayer being the highest grossing anime film isn’t the worst thing that could happen, especially when it’s as much of a spectacle as many of the highest grossing films out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

I feel kind of bad about it, but the way the franchise has exploded in popularity has almost turned me off of it somewhat. I mean, the series was good solid shonen, I had fun with it for the most part, but it is Just. Not. That. Special. It sticks to most of the same tropes as everything else in its genre, and really the only thing that sets it apart are the quality character designs and ufotable going ham with effects animation. Oh, and Zenitsu is one of the worst fucking characters I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

I really like the first 2-3 episodes. I hear it was going to get cancelled so the author slapped on a bunch of cliche shonen junk and made it demonstrably worse, thus causing the immense popularity.

I didn't reslly care for it once it violently shifted from mostly serious to having characters like Zenitsu. There was a tonal whiplash that soured it for me, and realizing it was made ultra-generic for sales numbers rubs me the wrong way 

Edited by naraku360

1 hour ago, Chapinator_X said:

I had a pretty good time with the Demon Slayer anime & manga, but that’s mostly because it ended before it overstayed its welcome. 

It’s a well put-together shonen that’s consistently acceptable, but that isn’t as bad when many of today’s beloved shonen need much more time and investment before they hit the same level of quality.

Demon Slayer being the highest grossing anime film isn’t the worst thing that could happen, especially when it’s as much of a spectacle as many of the highest grossing films out there. 

I think the overwhelming popularity of To Your Eternity has tempered my dissatisfaction with Demon Slayer some.

Or Tokyo Revengers' manga outselling AoT somehow.

Oh, and fucking Mushoku. Jesus fucking Christ.

🤮

Edited by naraku360

7 hours ago, Top Gun said:

It's good, but yeah I never got the hype. But hey, not everything needs to be groundbreaking. It does what it does well and they clearly put the effort in with the animation and character design.

It's kind of an Inuyasha that didn't decide to go into filler hell.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Oh, and Zenitsu is one of the worst fucking characters I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

Ain't that the truth. The whole bit where he's first introduced to Nezuko was really, really bad. And part of it was because Tanjiro never got around to explaining that she was his sister, at least not onscreen.