UnevenEdge

Thank you for that, Apple.

My MacBook's monitor is fucked, so I need a new comp. Wanna get another MacBook. I'm currently using the one with the fucked monitor, but it's hard as fuck to read what's on the screen at any given time. So I go to my phone and apparently on the iPhone you can only shop from Apple's site on a fucking iOS app for the Apple Store. Fine, I'll do that. Try to download the app, says I need iOS version 13.0 or later. I check the "check for updates" settings on my phone. "Version 12.5.4. Your software is up to date."

So if my software is up to date does that mean no one on god's green goddamn mother fucking piece of fucking shit Earth can access the Apple Store on mobile with this mythical non-existant iOS version 13? Or is my smart phone in fact a dumb(fuck) phone and is lying to me about being up to date?

4 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Ok westpark.

I like the GarageBand app for recording my music.

I have an iPhone because that's what my dad gave me. For free.

......Sigh, not YOUR elitism...Apple's.  Where you can only use shit from their store.

Amd Westpark wasn't against iPhones, he was against smart phones as a whole....Always bragging about his flip phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BlackNoir said:

......Sigh, not YOUR elitism...Apple's.  Where you can only use shit from their store.

Amd Westpark wasn't against iPhones, he was against smart phones as a whole....Always bragging about his flip phone.

Ah.

You're only partially correct about westpark though, he hated Apple with a passion as opposed to Windows. Also I think he (righlty) blamed Apple for the existance of samrtphones in the first place.

49 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

My MacBook's monitor is fucked, so I need a new comp. Wanna get another MacBook. I'm currently using the one with the fucked monitor, but it's hard as fuck to read what's on the screen at any given time. So I go to my phone and apparently on the iPhone you can only shop from Apple's site on a fucking iOS app for the Apple Store. Fine, I'll do that. Try to download the app, says I need iOS version 13.0 or later. I check the "check for updates" settings on my phone. "Version 12.5.4. Your software is up to date."

So if my software is up to date does that mean no one on god's green goddamn mother fucking piece of fucking shit Earth can access the Apple Store on mobile with this mythical non-existant iOS version 13? Or is my smart phone in fact a dumb(fuck) phone and is lying to me about being up to date?

You’re definitely not up to date if you’re on 12.5.4. I’m on 14.4.2 and they on update 14.4.6.   
which iPhone are you using?

Edited by 1pooh4u

5 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

You’re definitely not up to date if you’re on 12.5.4. I’m on 14.4.2 and they on update 14.4.6.   
which iPhone are you using?

6. I know it's old. I wonder if they stopped supporting it. But if they did it would be nice for my phone to say so.

Edited by Doom Metal Alchemist
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

6. I know it's old. I wonder if they stopped supporting it. But if they did it would be nice for my phone to say so.

They never tell us through notifications that they will no longer support devices, that would make too much sense.   
Seems that ios 14 oldest devices they support are 6S and 6S+

https://www.digitaltrends.com/apple/every-device-that-supports-ios-14-ipados-14/?amp

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

They never tell us through notifications that they will no longer support devices, that would make too much sense.   
Seems that ios 14 oldest devices they support are 6S and 6S+

https://www.digitaltrends.com/apple/every-device-that-supports-ios-14-ipados-14/?amp

Welp I was already planning on going to the local brick and mortar Apple Store today for a new MacBook, maybe I can get a new phone while I'm there too. Looks like this one isn't gonna be useful for much longer.

1 hour ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Ah.

You're only partially correct about westpark though, he hated Apple with a passion as opposed to Windows. Also I think he (righlty) blamed Apple for the existance of samrtphones in the first place.

Nah, smartphones were coming regardless of what apple did.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Welp I was already planning on going to the local brick and mortar Apple Store today for a new MacBook, maybe I can get a new phone while I'm there too. Looks like this one isn't gonna be useful for much longer.

What about a different phone?  Can't you just use your old one for the garage band app?
I ask this because I know of Apples history of shitting on their customers and would strongly recommend not giving them business.

Edited by Sieg67

7 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

What iPhone do you have?

Also, that jail screen thing is on a MacBook?

4 hours ago, Sieg67 said:

What about a different phone?  Can't you just use your old one for the garage band app?
I ask this because I know of Apples history of shitting on their customers and would strongly recommend not giving them business.

I use GarageBand on the comp, not the phone.

As for the phone I'm on my dad's family plan which is on AT&T.... I have no idea if I can get an android and continue to be on his plan. I have no real desire to switch phone brands though. I just need a new phone cuz this one's ancient.

As for strongly recommending me not to give Apple my business.... Too late. 

Probably not.

You know, you can replace the display for maybe $600 for parts and tools if you do it yourself.  It's not as difficult as some of the other internal parts on those earlier Retina displays.

Just got to go to iFixit for the tools and check around the web for used parts.

17 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I already bought the replacement MacBook today. But even if I didn’t I don’t trust myself with tools. For example I don’t work on my guitars. Anything beyond a string change I take it to a tech.

It's worth it to try.  I guess it's easy to say because building things is kind of what I do.  But being able to keep a Mac going without having to use a repair service is a point of pride.

5 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

As for strongly recommending me not to give Apple my business.... Too late. 

But you don't have to give them more business from here on out.

Edited by Sieg67

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Probably not.

You know, you can replace the display for maybe $600 for parts and tools if you do it yourself.  It's not as difficult as some of the other internal parts on those earlier Retina displays.

Just got to go to iFixit for the tools and check around the web for used parts.

I'm guessing you're  familiar with Louis Rossmann? 
I've watched quite a few of his videos and streams.  Seem he's moving now and is giving the finger to New York.

Edited by Sieg67

17 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I am, in passing.  Apple has always had a tenuous relationship with those that repair its computers.

They also have an issue with owning up to faulty products by either giving warranties that are basically useless or outright blaming the customer like in the case where they suggested people were holding the phones wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sieg67 said:

They also have an issue with owning up to faulty products by either giving warranties that are basically useless or outright blaming the customer like in the case where they suggested people were holding the phones wrong.

They're not much worse for that than other major electronics manufacturers, but that's not saying they're good either.  The real problem is that they're computers aren't easy to fix.  Having exclusive hardware parts was always one of the tradeoffs for having a computer eco system that was more efficient with less raw power.  Gluing all the parts in has made it an exclusive repair sources combined with exclusive hardware.  It makes what would otherwise be a fairly routine warranty repair into an ordeal.

On 6/17/2021 at 6:14 AM, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Okay, this shit happens. I lived it for a decade.

MacBooks tend to have monitor issues due to the hinge and cables being all together right there at the vent in the back. It’s a pain in the ass, because they improved (read: fixed) it when the SSD version of the MacBook launched a LONG time later. It’s also a pain to fix, because I had to take the ENTIRE display and hinge apart to adjust or fix ANYTHING other than hard drive, RAM, or battery on that bastard. I used to HATE regular MacBooks because of that bullshit. Give me a MacBook Pro any day, much easier to repair.

Apple draws a line when it comes to their technology and software updates. They are aware what their hardware can take, and try to draw the line at a (somewhat) reasonable spot at which the hardware just can’t handle it without major speed issues. Typically, with a Mac, it’s at the 6-8 year mark (which is generous, given how fast technology moves). With the phones, it’s normally at about 5 years (again, pretty damn generous, knowing how phones are basically disposable at this point).

iOS 13 doesn’t exist anymore, because they have moved on past it to iOS 14. (They have announced iOS 15 already, but haven’t released it in the wild.) If you miss too many updates with iOS, you wind up in this kind of situation. My recommendation is to get you phone updates at a store (which will do it for free). Just remember to (and I CANNOT stress this enough) back up your shit up first

If it’s just the monitor that is broken, you can get the display, back panel, and hinge repaired. Downside to this is that the repair itself is usually 50-85% of the cost of the unit. Check to see if you have any repair places close to you that have parts available. You might get lucky. Also, back up your data before the repair

Edited by lupin_bebop
Added iOS thing. Also, some insight as a previous Genius at Apple.

4 hours ago, lupin_bebop said:

MacBooks tend to have monitor issues due to the hinge and cables being all together right there at the vent in the back. It’s a pain in the ass, because they improved (read: fixed) it when the SSD version of the MacBook launched a LONG time later. It’s also a pain to fix, because I had to take the ENTIRE display and hinge apart to adjust or fix ANYTHING other than hard drive, RAM, or battery on that bastard. I used to HATE regular MacBooks because of that bullshit. Give me a MacBook Pro any day, much easier to repair.

Apple draws a line when it comes to their technology and software updates. They are aware what their hardware can take, and try to draw the line at a (somewhat) reasonable spot at which the hardware just can’t handle it without major speed issues. Typically, with a Mac, it’s at the 6-8 year mark (which is generous, given how fast technology moves). With the phones, it’s normally at about 5 years (again, pretty damn generous, knowing how phones are basically disposable at this point).

iOS 13 doesn’t exist anymore, because they have moved on past it to iOS 14. (They have announced iOS 15 already, but haven’t released it in the wild.) If you miss too many updates with iOS, you wind up in this kind of situation. My recommendation is to get you phone updates at a store (which will do it for free). Just remember to (and I CANNOT stress this enough) back up your shit up first

If it’s just the monitor that is broken, you can get the display, back panel, and hinge repaired. Downside to this is that the repair itself is usually 50-85% of the cost of the unit. Check to see if you have any repair places close to you that have parts available. You might get lucky. Also, back up your data before the repair

I heard they used the same cable for multiple models.  The problem with that was that it didn't have any slack in the later model so it would come unplugged. Batteries are glued in which makes them a pain to replace.
Apple also started soldering SSDs and RAM in place just for an extra FU.

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, lupin_bebop said:

My old (borked) MacBook actually is a MacBook Pro, I didn't even bother taking it into to get it repaired because I've had this same issue with multiple laptops in the past (other than this one, I believe all the others were Dells) and everytime I was told the same thing: It's so expensive to replace the screen, it's not even worth it. Just buy a new comp. So I preemptively did that. If my issue can be solved with the cost being much lower than the price of the new MacBook, that kinda brings me down, but at the same time, I have a feeling I'm going to like having 2x the RAM and 4x the hard drive space, so it's whatever.

I guess at the very least I could always take the old one in to the Apple Store and have them quote me on a repair, and if it's worth it I have a backup.

OH @lupin_bebop here's something I ran into with my new laptop I think you'll have an answer for: My phone, the same one described above on iOS 12.5.4, is not recognized on the Music app on this new laptop. It was never a problem on my old one. This new laptop only has USB-C ports, as opposed to USB-A, and I don't have a lightning-USB-C cable yet so I got a USB-C-multi port (including USB-A) adapter that I use to plug my phone into my comp. I was wondering if Music doesn't recognized my phone because It's being run through USB-A to the USB-C converter to my laptop. But the thing with it is, my computer recognizes it enough to charge it.

Edited by Doom Metal Alchemist