UnevenEdge

thoughts on fire force?

CountFrylock

now that the rerun has concluded(with season 2 set to air on toonami november 7th)

i figured it would be a good time to create a topic asking how everyone feels about fire force and it being on the block at all?

honestly i like it but sometimes i do wonder if fire force isn't just seen as an inferior soul eater most of the time....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

now that the rerun has concluded(with season 2 set to air on toonami november 7th)

i figured it would be a good time to create a topic asking how everyone feels about fire force and it being on the block at all?

honestly i like it but sometimes i do wonder if fire force isn't just seen as an inferior soul eater most of the time....

it's fine

it's not the worst thing Toonami's ever aired but it's also VASTLY inferior to the same author's previous work (Soul Eater) and is just personally dissapointing to me for that reason

• Like 2

It had a strong start, but ultimately settled into a weird space where I enjoy watching it but can barely remember half of what went on, and that's without getting to all the issues I have with some of the characters.

Like, I'm normally into dominatrix-type characters, but I can name so many things wrong with Hibana to counterbalance the "right" that, comparing myself to Vegeta, she's the Yamcha to Esdeath's Goku.

[and i actually kinda like yamcha]

Edited by PokeNirvash

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

It had a strong start, but ultimately settled into a weird space where I enjoy watching it but can barely remember half of what went on, and that's without getting to all the issues I have with some of the characters.

Like, I'm normally into dominatrix-type characters, but I can name so many things wrong with Hibana to counterbalance the "right" that, comparing myself to Vegeta, she's the Yamcha to Esdeath's Goku.

when your dominatrix character is worse than Esdeath you've fucked up big time

fr tho there is not a single character in this series that is likeable....there's some that are tollerable....but then others who are out-right obnoxious

1 minute ago, EmpressAngel said:

I like the premise and most of the main characters have grown on me. Especially Arthur, I hated that kid at first but after his Donkey Dick scene cracked me up I love this little bastard.

Tamaki is still god awful and the worst idea in the entire series, though.

Tamaki is indeed the worst.....but she's unfortunately not the only character like herself in anime....it's almost a requirement for every anime to have a needlessly sexualized female character who does absolutely nothing important

Real talk though, it had a super-strong first few episodes, then descended into some absolute cringe for an arc or two, but it started to pick itself back up around the not-feudal-Japan arc, and the big Nether battle was pretty damn solid.  (The choreography of Shinra's fight against Sho was fantastic.) They set up some good hooks for the next season, and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.  Just...fuck off with Tamaki.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

i think the problem with hibana is that after her initial appearance and battle with shinra....she doesn't do much for the rest of season 1

she helped out during "Vulcan's Workshop" Story but that's about it

you'd think since she's obsessed with shinra she'd constantly be hanging around company 8 but that isn't the case

and as for tamaki I don't really think she was meant to be the way she is in the series since originally she was apart of company 1 but after the rekka incident

she's put on suspension and made a temporary member of company 8

however her suspension usually isn't bought up and eventually she becomes a core member of company 8

which makes me think back to that article i read several months ago where it was revealed an editor egged on okubo to do more fanservice since he draws such beautiful women

Edited by CountFrylock

2 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Hibana is just a worse, infinitely more unlikable version of Boa Hancock. Prove me wrong.

OH6oh04.jpg

It helps that Hancock's antics were played for comedy from the get-go for the most part, while Hibana was presented as a serious adversary for her first several appearances.  

There is something to be said about making the yandere a darker skinned woman, but it's nowhere near enough to overcome her considerable writing faults.

My thoughts on the ladies of Fire Force are complicated, to say the least.

You all know that with Hibana, I want to like her but she makes it very hard to with all the shit she does. Maki is objectively the best, but I feel her over-the-top reactions to being called "ogreish" or anything of the sort could really use some dialing back. Tamaki is really meh, and her Lucky Lecher Lure is much too prone to ruining the mood (or in the case of Shinra vs. Rekka, the pacing), so I'm not too bothered by the discourse towards her. Lisa has a great character design, but her actions post-traitor reveal really piss me off, and her pyromancy made manifest looks stupid. I dislike those two annoying brats that hang around Benimaru. Haumea's clearly meant to be a "fun villain" type, but that fucking crescent moon smile with the tongue sticking out is just so off-putting.

Really, the only female characters in this show I'm not bothered by are Iris and Arrow. Let's hope they don't remain the only two once we're neck-deep into the second season.

53 minutes ago, StarPanda said:

I still haven't really seen the show 

People like it right 

I wasn't a fan. Didn't hate it, just found it to be an average forgettable Shonen.

The response on the boards was pretty middling as well.

Edited by Daos

24 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

BONES did Soul Eater, and mercifully cut out most of the fanservicey bullshit that the author is apparently infamous for.

I’m still surprised we never got a proper adaptation of the whole of Soul Eater.  I mean, we are getting a Shaman King remake.

6 minutes ago, Jman said:

I’m still surprised we never got a proper adaptation of the whole of Soul Eater.  I mean, we are getting a Shaman King remake.

For some reason it always seemed like Bones has major issues with Soul Eater. It was a pretty popular series but it's like once they were done with their version they didn't want anything else to do with it. A lot of folks were calling for a new adaptation of it, but instead they gave us Soul Eater Not, which it felt like they didn't want that one to succeed. It had a super generic anime art style, no where near the original one which had a very unique art style. Also the writing was pretty bad and the show in general was meh. Needless to say it didn't perform well, to which they immediately wrote off the franchise by saying clearly no one is interested in more Soul Eater

On 10/27/2020 at 8:50 PM, Top Gun said:

BONES did Soul Eater, and mercifully cut out most of the fanservicey bullshit that the author is apparently infamous for.

FYI....a majority of the fanservice in soul eater was for the character blair who wasn't anything more than a minor character

it's not like there was fanservice out the ass in that series

On 10/27/2020 at 2:59 PM, PokeNirvash said:

My thoughts on the ladies of Fire Force are complicated, to say the least.

You all know that with Hibana, I want to like her but she makes it very hard to with all the shit she does. Maki is objectively the best, but I feel her over-the-top reactions to being called "ogreish" or anything of the sort could really use some dialing back. Tamaki is really meh, and her Lucky Lecher Lure is much too prone to ruining the mood (or in the case of Shinra vs. Rekka, the pacing), so I'm not too bothered by the discourse towards her. Lisa has a great character design, but her actions post-traitor reveal really piss me off, and her pyromancy made manifest looks stupid. I dislike those two annoying brats that hang around Benimaru. Haumea's clearly meant to be a "fun villain" type, but that fucking crescent moon smile with the tongue sticking out is just so off-putting.

Really, the only female characters in this show I'm not bothered by are Iris and Arrow. Let's hope they don't remain the only two once we're neck-deep into the second season.

i think a lot of people on here who hate the way hibana behaves forget why she's like that

she came to view her powers as being pure evil after the incident that led to the nuns around her turning infernal

she played heavily into the villain role due to what happened that day and despite shinra's little speech plus that punch

she's not gonna suddenly stop being a bitch when she spent so much time drilling it into her own head that nice people get jack shit in life and if you wanna achieve your goals

you have to be prepared to manipulate people and do some pretty heinous things

Edited by CountFrylock

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Let's not forget the theory that Blair being naked for a good portion of the debut episode was a popular theory behind why [as] went for Kekkaishi instead.

Kekkaishi I thought was a decent enough series, though it honestly felt kind of bland and generic.

One thing about it though is it felt like a Bleach clone to some degree, like season 1 of Bleach with some season 2 stuff mixed in

When you get down to it, Fire Force’s biggest sin is that it is not a terrible series by any stretch (likable lead, fairly strong supporting cast, relatively original premise) but there are too many flaws for it to be considered a great series (several unlikable characters we’re expected to sympathize with, Tamaki’s antics simply don’t fit the tone of half the scenes she’s in so the fanservice is jarring rather than welcome).  And sometimes that’s more frustrating than a series you know is dogshit, because you just need to fix a few things, in this case pacing and tone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

still that's not "Fanservice in every episode"

i think we got way off track here when the discussion veered into "soul eater had fanservice crammed into it"

when that never was the case.....

When I say 10 episodes, it's not at all '10 episodes of only ONLY fanservice'. Come on. I probably should've timed out all the fanservice in total and calculated just how much time it takes compared to the rest of the show.

Edited by elfie

1 hour ago, Jman said:

When you get down to it, Fire Force’s biggest sin is that it is not a terrible series by any stretch (likable lead, fairly strong supporting cast, relatively original premise) but there are too many flaws for it to be considered a great series (several unlikable characters we’re expected to sympathize with, Tamaki’s antics simply don’t fit the tone of half the scenes she’s in so the fanservice is jarring rather than welcome).  And sometimes that’s more frustrating than a series you know is dogshit, because you just need to fix a few things, in this case pacing and tone.

Several Unlikable Characters? the only one that springs to mind is hibana and even then she's a side-character at best

Company 8 doesn't really have much in the way of fan annoyance when it comes to characters

arthur is just a goofy meat head that's just obsessed with being labeled a knight

shinra's the typical shonen protagonist

obi's the no nonsense leader

maki's the one with self-esteem issues

vulcan's the inventor/tech genius

licht is the oddball weirdo

we all know tamaki's schtick so i won't even describe her here

4 minutes ago, elfie said:

When I say 10 episodes, it's not at all '10 episodes of only ONLY fanservice'. Come on. I probably should've timed out all the fanservice in total and calculated just how much time it takes compared to the rest of the show.

i wasn't thinking it was just 10 episodes of nothing but fanservice  i was just noting that for how quickly this topic derailed into "Ranting about soul eater fanservice"

there's not all that much in soul eater

as i said the majority of it comes from the minor character blair

who never really amounted to much....

On 10/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, CountFrylock said:

FYI....a majority of the fanservice in soul eater was for the character blair who wasn't anything more than a minor character

it's not like there was fanservice out the ass in that series

i think a lot of people on here who hate the way hibana behaves forget why she's like that

she came to view her powers as being pure evil after the incident that led to the nuns around her turning infernal

she played heavily into the villain role due to what happened that day and despite shinra's little speech plus that punch

she's not gonna suddenly stop being a bitch when she spent so much time drilling it into her own head that nice people get jack shit in life and if you wanna achieve your goals

you have to be prepared to manipulate people and do some pretty heinous things

if her whole dogma was manipulating people to get ahead  she wouldn't default purely to sexually dehumanizing men

she'd be more generally a bitchy boss like a "the Devil wears Prada" character, or more like Boa Hancock, not a dominatrix

17 hours ago, mochi said:

if her whole dogma was manipulating people to get ahead  she wouldn't default purely to sexually dehumanizing men

she'd be more generally a bitchy boss like a "the Devil wears Prada" character, or more like Boa Hancock, not a dominatrix

the reason she does that and the reason she has a throne made out of men is because she sees her appearance as a key asset as a tool for manipulation

we know how many fire soldiers in her company are horny for her and she takes full advantage of that

this isn't some fetish for her it's just her going full blown cartoony super villain

she denounced her religion due to the infernal incident and had done everything in her power to go against what she once stood for

which includes dehumanizing men and acting like everyone else is gravel that should be grateful to be around her

all of this was an act...an act to fool herself into thinking she was evil