UnevenEdge

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Returns to Toonami!! - The Re-Discussion!!

28 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Nezuko is here!

Booo I still don't like the hypnosis.  Nezuko was already stopping herself from hurting humans on her own.

Yeah, takes a bit away from her impressive willpower to throw that in there if he can actually do that.
Ever since she saw Tanjiro hurt in the fight with Tomioka she's been able to hold herself in check. Despite initially instinctively attacking him, once she gained consciousness she only guarded Tanjiro standing between them when he threatened them in the end.

Though I guess it's an extra precaution since we haven't seen her threatened by human strangers yet.

I'm guessing it'll be interesting when we eventually see her stuck in a situation on her own for a bit, which is something I assume will eventually have to happen.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, takes a bit away from her impressive willpower to throw that in there if he can actually do that.
Ever since she saw Tanjiro hurt in the fight with Tomioka she's been able to hold herself in check. Despite initially instinctively attacking him, once she gained consciousness she only guarded Tanjiro standing between them when he threatened them in the end.

Though I guess it's an extra precaution since we haven't seen her threatened by human strangers yet.

I'm guessing it'll be interesting when we eventually see her stuck in a situation on her own for a bit, which is something I assume will eventually have to happen.

It definitely seemed unnecessary to me and kind of undermined that.  Before Nezuko held herself back on her own and even protected Tanjiro.  Now how much of it is her own will and how much of it is the hypnosis?  I mean I guess you can say it is still sort of her since she had to have the reason to want to protect family members in the first place, the hypnosis wouldn't work if she didn't see her family that way, but still.

A precaution I suppose but I kind of don't like Urokodaki that much anyway because of him leaving that demon on the mountain and his training methods.  Although the Demon Slayer Corp seems kind of fucked up for having that final selection thing anyway, and we saw what some of the captains were like.  But I don't think Urokodaki was meant to be fully likable anyway.  So it comes from Urokodaki so that kind of softens it, but still it was the author's choice.

https://www.animefeminist.com/feature-who-is-allowed-to-speak-their-pain-demon-slayer-empathy-and-nezuko/

I came across this article recently and I don't completely agree with it, but I tend to agree with a lot of it.  It's true we are kind of isolated from Nezuko in a way we aren't from the other characters.  Although this makes the moments where we do get a decent idea of what Nezuko is thinking more special, especially when we get the rare internal monologue or her actually speaking.  It lets us know she isn't just some kind of animal.  I haven't experienced the complete story so I am willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt and hope there is a method to the madness, but I don't know.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ben0119 said:

https://www.animefeminist.com/feature-who-is-allowed-to-speak-their-pain-demon-slayer-empathy-and-nezuko/

I came across this article recently and I don't completely agree with it, but I tend to agree with a lot of it.  It's true we are kind of isolated from Nezuko in a way we aren't from the other characters.  Although this makes the moments where we do get a decent idea of what Nezuko is thinking more special, especially when we get the rare internal monologue or her actually speaking.  It lets us know she isn't just some kind of animal.  I haven't experienced the complete story so I am willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt and hope there is a method to the madness, but I don't know.

Yeah, like you I think that's where it is right now too and also that it's still early since season 1 felt a lot like an intro so I've no trouble giving them the benefit of the doubt too after a really endearing and entertaining first season overall.

I hope there's a lot more Nezuko coming up because it's true that while there were some great hype moments with her she was also quite underused at the same time, let alone for being both second lead and the main female character, and like you mentioned we've gotten by far less time with her internal thoughts with her both not getting to talk (at least so far) and more or less disappearing for large chunks of eps in season 1. Like the article mentioned, now that I think about it, I am a bit surprised we didn't get at least a few more internal monologues from her, since we get them from Tanjiro all the time, to at least balance out the mouth guard (which hopefully she eventually gets to get rid of).

Like they said, other demons since the beginning have almost all gotten to talk.

On the plus side, I am glad she's had the "badass role" so far for the most part.
So hopefully that continues overall in between the expected rising challenges for her (like when she was briefly caught by Rui) and she doesn't eventually just get outclassed as the others get stronger with all these training montages while she remains stagnant as has happened before with lead female characters in shonen (seemingly overpowered in the beginning and then quickly fall behind). So far when she's come out you know an ass-kicking is about to break out.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, like you I think that's where it is right now too and also that it's still early since season 1 felt a lot like an intro so I've no trouble giving them the benefit of the doubt too after a really endearing and entertaining first season overall.

I hope there's a lot more Nezuko coming up because it's true that while there were some great hype moments with her she was also quite underused at the same time, let alone for being both second lead and the main female character, and like you mentioned we've gotten by far less time with her internal thoughts with her both not getting to talk (at least so far) and more or less disappearing for large chunks of eps in season 1. Like the article mentioned, now that I think about it, I am a bit surprised we didn't get at least a few more internal monologues from her, since we get them from Tanjiro all the time, to at least balance out the mouth guard (which hopefully she eventually gets to get rid of).

Like they said, other demons since the beginning have almost all gotten to talk.

On the plus side, I am glad she's had the "badass role" so far for the most part.
So hopefully that continues overall in between the expected rising challenges for her (like when she was briefly caught by Rui) and she doesn't eventually just get outclassed as the others get stronger with all these training montages while she remains stagnant as has happened before with lead female characters in shonen (seemingly overpowered in the beginning and then quickly fall behind). So far when she's come out you know an ass-kicking is about to break out.

It seems like the gag shouldn't be necessary anymore, since Nezuko has already proven her loyalty to her brother, and refused to attack that asshole that roughed her up at the Demon Slayer HQ.  As mentioned, even some of the most primitive seeming demons can speak and aren't just growling and screaming etc.  So I'd like to think Nezuko's grunts and noises are because of the gag and not that she is unable to speak.  And she did have the internal monologue and flashback to her mother, and was able to call out her attack during the fight with the spider demon.  I would like more moments like that.

Yeah they had training montages but Nezuko is a demon so it's hard to say how her power advancement and development would work.  I don't know if the techniques Tanjiro and the others learned could be used by Nezuko.  We've seen other demons rapidly increase in strength and size/mutation just from eating one person.  But she doesn't eat people so who knows.  Not sure how the sleeping factors into things.  She sleeps to heal and recover her strength, but does she get stronger after these battles and injuries and following naps, like a Saiyan lol?

Kind of going out of order here but the only thing that concerns me as far as giving benefit of the doubt and the first season being an "intro" as you described, is the series' length.  I don't know if you were aware but the manga already ended back in May and it only ran for about 4 years.  I seem to recall some people being upset by the ending but I could be remembering wrong, and I don't want to look it up and get spoilers.  So I'm not sure if the series came to a natural ending or was abrupt or rushed somehow. 

I just read on the wikipedia page that the manga didn't explode in popularity (unexpectedly at that,) until after the anime aired.  But then not long after that the manga ended, so it seems odd.  The way the series started out, it felt to me that it didn't need to be super long, but then the Demon Slayer Captains and squads were introduced, and Muzan Gebutsuji's elite demons, it seemed like it wouldn't be such a short series after all.  But then I hear it had just ended back in May.  So I'm concerned not only for how the world was expanded and covering all of that and giving all those characters some good screen time, but then also the main characters themselves, including of course, Nezuko.  And I don't know how much material was already covered by the anime and then the movie, and accordingly, how much is left, for us to see more Nezuko goodness.

Well, let's see, maybe there is a way to safely check.  I looked up episode 26 on the Demon Slayer wikia and it covered chapters
51 (p.12-19), 52, 53 (p.5-21), 54 (p.1-4).  That is pretty odd how it stopped on the first 4 pages of a chapter.  Must have something to do with cliffhanger-ing into the movie.  And I quickly glanced so I wouldn't see the titles and can see there are 205 chapters in total.  So probably still a decent amount left even after the movie, and who knows maybe there is some good Nezuko action on the movie.

But yeah, if there is anyone around that could give a non-spoiler idea on any of this, could be helpful.