UnevenEdge

Jason Demarco is asking fans what's been his worst take

apparently at some point Mob Psycho S2 was mentioned and he said there's some strange legal issues involved with the show that prevent them from ever airing it  no matter how hard they push for the show's inclusion on the block

another one was blaming him for black clover sitting behind reruns to which he responded

"you can blame the programming department for that decision but I'll take some of the blame too"

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Mob Psycho II will never be on Toonami?  Ever?

Oof.

Also, his worst take?  FLCL sequels.

I honestly never cared in the slightest for FLCL, and saw it in the same category as Cowboy Bebop. Two shows that performed like shit in Japan but for some reason are regarded by older anime fans to be iconic.

I was a bit curious to see the sequel series, but never got around to it, and probably never will cause I don't care in the slightest.

45 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Yeah. It sounds less "we're never gonna get it" and more "getting it is harder than even we thought".

Here's to hoping they pull through with it.

that's pretty par the course for  just about anything relating to crunchyroll

its damn near impossible for toonami to acquire

Edited by CountFrylock

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

apparently at some point Mob Psycho S2 was mentioned and he said there's some strange legal issues involved with the show that prevent them from ever airing it  no matter how hard they push for the show's inclusion on the block

another one was blaming him for black clover sitting behind reruns to which he responded

"you can blame the programming department for that decision but I'll take some of the blame too"

oh shit. He's offering himself to the dogs, there! 😮

2 hours ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

I honestly never cared in the slightest for FLCL, and saw it in the same category as Cowboy Bebop. Two shows that performed like shit in Japan but for some reason are regarded by older anime fans to be iconic.

I was a bit curious to see the sequel series, but never got around to it, and probably never will cause I don't care in the slightest.

Bebop was absolutely successful in Japan from its sales figures and general popularity. It's a stupid long-standing myth that it "failed" there simply because it wasn't the generational phenomenon it was in the English-speaking world. Likewise, I have no reason to believe that FLCL wasn't also successful, given that it was made by a super-popular studio at the height of their talents. It was still getting figurine merch as of a few years ago, and failed properties don't get that 15 years after their release. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Likewise, I have no reason to believe that FLCL wasn't also successful, given that it was made by a super-popular studio at the height of their talents. It was still getting figurine merch as of a few years ago, and failed properties don't get that 15 years after their release. 

Slightly unrelated note, I used to subscribe to this one guy's videos on YouTube, and they were all videos of various songs by the pillows, accompanied by either screenshots, official art, or fan art of FLCL (all featuring Mamimi, oddly enough). Even I'm surprised at the number of promotional drawings that were made for a mere 6-episode OVA, even discounting the ones that appeared weekly on the front page of the GAINAX website.

If you're curious about the channel, you can't view it anymore. Got DMCA'd to hell and back, from the looks of it.

11 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Ha ...that lightning in the bottle phrase is the exact phrase I used to describe the original FLCL when I said there was little chance they would be able to recapture that glory.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, elfie said:

He hates it so much, he can't even bother to do a quick Google search to find out what it's called?

and look how quickly he backpedals on that comment....as soon a someone mentions most of those are Rated T For Teens

Edited by CountFrylock

On 7/29/2020 at 2:07 PM, Top Gun said:

Likewise, I have no reason to believe that FLCL wasn't also successful

FLCL was very under the radar. It wasn't a hated series and it didn't bomb; but it really wasn't remembered all that well. At lot of this I think stems from an interview Matt Greenfield did back in 2007 when he was talking about licensing anime in the 90s early 00s. Weird thinking back that like 13 years ago anime panels were simply a small room and talking across a table to people. Not a full auditorium where you need microphones. Pretty much he says that the Japanese felt that nobody would be interested in OVA series outside of Japan. As well I remember a lot of early anime boom weebs who went to japan around then talking about how nobody really knew what they were asking for on some of the shows that were popular in america like FLCL. 

Edited by HardcoreHunter
  • Like 1

I did get a laugh that DeMarco didn't like FLCL prog/alt. He said it sucked. Never answered me though yet as to just "why and how".  Like the staff at toonami had to have seen the progress of this. Yet they still hyped it up anyway with staff interviews and other shit leading up to the trainwreck. Also the fuck deleted my comment where I talked about how IGPX sucked and that he has horrible taste in music for hyping up his friends garbage 50 year olds hipster garage bands. Then shit talk successful bands like REM.  Someone else called him on it though as well, but didn't bring up them being a hipster garage band or REM. Just said that he plays favorites with his friends music and that it's mediocre. He said that he has some bias.  Also the coward won't answer questions about Isekai shows. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • D'oh 1

I would say the issue in that case is that DeMarco knew the fan reaction was predominantly negative and accounted for it, more so than he personally hated it.  Even if he did, I doubt he would admit it publicly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PokeNirvash said:

That... doesn't prove that he hated Progressive and Alternative. Just that he was expecting people to bring up Progressive and Alternative as their personal picks for "worst take(s)", and that they came at him later than he was personally anticipating.

The tweet that I read that said Sorry it sucked, made me feel more that he didn't like it. Though I can't find it anywhere.Maybe he removed that one so it wouldn't hurt any working relationships. How I took it in though was that he more agreed with it. Everything else that isn't someone telling him what an amazing job he's doing is like a paragraph of him explaining himself. Like the music or videogames.  Also there a quite a few Isekai and adventure series questions on there that he isn't even bothering to address. 

1 minute ago, Jman said:

I would say the issue in that case is that DeMarco knew the fan reaction was predominantly negative and accounted for it, more so than he personally hated it.  Even if he did, I doubt he would admit it publicly.

Probably which is what happened with the I'm sorry it wasn't good tweet that's missing. Something that more would just hurt working relations. I'm guessing hate is a strong word, but for as much as he liked FLCL I think judging by those reactions that he wasn't enthused by what they received. At the same time though you're right and it may have just been him anticipating that fans would bring it up more/sooner than they did. 

7 minutes ago, elfie said:

If he was gonna shut aside people who criticize him, why'd he ask this in the first place?

Probably hit a nerve. Maybe he saw me calling him an his friends hipsters as an insult when that's just what they are. Also probably got annoyed when I said that the reason why he disliked Zoids was that it outperformed IGPX.  The deletes felt very family guy vs robot chicken or that episode where roger gets roasted on American Dad moments.  

25 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Or maybe he just didn't give a shit about your posts.  Or maybe he was done answering people when you made them.  Nah, must be because you "hit a nerve."

They're the ones that got deleted, so I'd assume so. My other one about FLCL and Hamtaro are still there though, just no reply. 

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

why did jason demarco even make this a thing? did he really think this would make him seem badass

Remember when Toonami came back, he was actually very open and honest about all the things Toonami did wrong up to that point. They made a whole Pre-Flight about it. I don't know what changed.

Edited by elfie
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, elfie said:

Remember when Toonami came back, he was actually very open and honest about all the things Toonami did wrong up to that point. They made a whole Pre-Flight about it. I don't know what changed.

now it seems like He does his best to damage control any situation the block's in

even if it's a really poor attempt

• Like 2