UnevenEdge

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Returns Next Week!

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I lost interest in Jojo after the 3rd season. 

4th and 5th are better than 3rd IMO.

Finally some good news. But...

Mob season one still ends this week.

Ballmastrz ends two weeks later.

Black Clover probably has to take a break the week after that.

So hopefully those aren’t all replaced by more reruns. But for now, JoJo returns and gets a great slot. So I’m more or less content.

Edited by Sketch
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I will LOL so hard if they end up slotting SAO:A WOU 2 (Electric Boogaloo) in Black Clover's place at 1:30, but I don't think they'll do that. If we're not going directly into Mob Psycho 100 Season 2, look for that to either: replace Mob at 1 AM on August 9th, play an annoying game of switcheroo with JoJo and stick it at 1 AM while it takes 12:30, or to expand Toonami to 11:30 and take over Midnight. SAO is a pretty strong show, and even broke 500K a couple of times back in March and April, including for its mid-season finale. In fact, Toonami didn't lose Midnight until that mid-season of SAO ended. This really could be the SERIES finale for SAO, so I doubt they'll mid-block it. That could also lead Toonami to keep 11:30 for the foreseeable future if AOT's final season and/or MHA Season 5 is ready to go afterward, but I think they'll keep the lead slot DBS until the originals are ready in the second half of 2021, though Uzumaki may grace us with its twisted presence in a later timeslot in the first half.

Edited by OwlChemist81

20 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'm thinking the most likely solution for Ballmastrz getting replaced is that Shippuden and Jack move up, and the 3AM slot they subtly added in is just as subtly eliminated once more.

The X-Factor is SAO, and that's a strong show, but not strong enough to send DBS back to the vault...

18 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I will LOL so hard if they end up slotting SAO:A WOU 2 (Electric Boogaloo) in Black Clover's place at 1:30, but I don't think they'll do that. If we're not going directly into Mob Psycho 100 Season 2, look for that to either: replace Mob at 1 AM on August 9th, play an annoying game of switcheroo with JoJo and stick it at 1 AM while it takes 12:30, or to expand Toonami to 11:30 and take over Midnight. SAO is a pretty strong show, and even broke 500K a couple of times back in March and April, including for its mid-season finale. In fact, Toonami didn't lose Midnight until that mid-season of SAO ended. This really could be the SERIES finale for SAO, so I doubt they'll mid-block it. That could also lead Toonami to keep 11:30 for the foreseeable future if AOT's final season and/or MHA Season 5 is ready to go afterward, but I think they'll keep the lead slot DBS until the originals are ready in the second half of 2021, though Uzumaki may grace us with its twisted presence in a later timeslot in the first half.

I Really Doubt SAO: A WOU II's dub will be finished by the time black clover runs out of episodes

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I Really Doubt SAO: A WOU II's dub will be finished by the time black clover runs out of episodes

Who said it has to be finished? It just has to have enough episodes done so that it can continuously air once a week for 12 weeks, save for Labor Day Weekend (9/5) and Halloween.

For SAO to get its first ever-marathon on Halloween might be kinda fun too!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Who said it has to be finished? It just has to have enough episodes done so that it can continuously air once a week for 12 weeks, save for Labor Day Weekend (9/5) and Halloween.

For SAO to get its first ever-marathon on Halloween might be kinda fun too!

there's just 2 episodes left of black clover's dub before it runs out and i haven't heard any word on SAO's dub currently

they'd need to be faster than funimation to make shoving it in as BC's replacement not seem like a stupid idea

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they say at AX Lite that the dub would be streaming in August?

If Toonami still has dibs on all the dub premieres of the mainstream series, that means that, yes, it would be coming in August!

And BTW, in my book, streaming on [as]'s piddly little app still counts as "Streaming!"

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they say at AX Lite that the dub would be streaming in August?

If Toonami still has dibs on all the dub premieres of the mainstream series, that means that, yes, it would be coming in August!

And BTW, in my book, streaming on [as]'s piddly little app still counts as "Streaming!"

I Just don't see anything except fooly cooly or bebop replacing black clover when it runs out of episodes

• Haha 1

At 1:30, you may be right. Food Wars Season 3 has a shot, but I'd say SAO is high-profile enough that if it comes back in August, it would push DBS up to 11:30 and create a midnight dub premiere hour.

Or maybe DBS falls to midblock? Nah, can't see that happening. Even in reruns, it seems to gel well with Family Guy better than most dub premieres.

Edited by OwlChemist81

So, JoJo is FINALLY back.  Maybe there was a method to Demarco's madness after all.  I hope we can just get through all the rest of the episodes now.  Better to have one long break and get it over with, than a bunch of little breaks.  But maybe they weren't actually able to rerun JoJo episodes.

But Ballzmastrz is still here.  I hope that is just a placeholder and Demarco isn't just going to play the whole damn thing.

But Al told me Ballzmastrz only has 3 weeks left and that's it.  So hopefully something is coming soon to replace it.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 7:22 AM, CountFrylock said:

there's just 2 episodes left of black clover's dub before it runs out and i haven't heard any word on SAO's dub currently

they'd need to be faster than funimation to make shoving it in as BC's replacement not seem like a stupid idea

Are you blind, illiterate, or do you just ignore things that would stop you from bitching more?  It was announced on that Aniplex panel for SAO that the dub is coming in August.

Did Funimation stop putting out dubbed Black Clover episodes?  I know there was a delay in producing the actual episodes in Japan, but that's over now.  But I'm not sure how it overlapped with Funimation's dubbing schedule.  I'm sure it is one of their top priorities though.

https://www.bubbleblabber.com/funimation-announces-additional-dubs-from-home-featuring-my-hero-academia-black-clover-and-more/

What do you know, they are putting up another episode tomorrow...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Are you blind, illiterate, or do you just ignore things that would stop you from bitching more?  It was announced on that Aniplex panel for SAO that the dub is coming in August.

Did Funimation stop putting out dubbed Black Clover episodes?  I know there was a delay in producing the actual episodes in Japan, but that's over now.  But I'm not sure how it overlapped with Funimation's dubbing schedule.  I'm sure it is one of their top priorities though.

https://www.bubbleblabber.com/funimation-announces-additional-dubs-from-home-featuring-my-hero-academia-black-clover-and-more/

What do you know, they are putting up another episode tomorrow...

There's a thread talking about the dub status for Black Clover. Toonami just aired episode 127 and FUNimation is releasing 129 within the next 12 hours. FUNimation has been continuing the dub off and on. If they can dub one episode a week from now on then Black Clover wont need to take a break on Toonami but chances are they wont stay that consistent in the coming months. I think it's a reasonable expectation that Black Clover's dub will air until the end of August on Toonami but in order for that to happen, FUNimation has to dub two more episodes within the next 3 weeks. 132 is where Japan had to take a break (it has since resumed).

And yes you can count on a marathon because Fire Force season 2 starts October 24th and they're starting the rerun with episode 15. It would have started at episode 14 if they were airing the regular line-up on  the first Saturday in September. So if they're running a marathon on that weekend then it would make for a good clean break for Black Clover if it went on hiatus the week before that. Then I honestly don't know how long they'd have to wait bring Black Clover back for premiere episodes but they should probably give it at least a few months so they don't have to take another break after just a handful of episodes.

Also regarding SAO's dub returning in August. I am now thinking the Aniplex rep actually was talking about Alicization's dub finally streaming (somewhere other than Adult Swim's site) in August. I say that because suddenly both FUNimation's site and Hulu are starting to stream the first quarter of Alicization's dub in August. SO that's probably what he was talking about. That said, LA studios are embracing the dubbing from home method so this batch of Alicization will likely be dubbed pretty soon. I still wont rule out the possibility that War of the Underworld could resume on Toonami later in August when Ballmastrz ends or Black Clover has to take a break. But alternatively, I could see new SAO replace JoJo on October 24th. Because it just so happens that JoJo ends the week before Fire Force season 2 starts, so they might be planning to start two shows that night. If SAO doesn't somehow come back sooner then they may as well wait till then.

Edited by Sketch

20 minutes ago, Sketch said:

There's a thread talking about the dub status for Black Clover. Toonami just aired episode 127 and FUNimation is releasing 129 within the next 12 hours. FUNimation has been continuing the dub off and on. If they can dub one episode a week from now on then Black Clover wont need to take a break on Toonami but chances are they wont stay that consistent in the coming months. I think it's a reasonable expectation that Black Clover's dub will air until the end of August on Toonami but in order for that to happen, FUNimation has to dub two more episodes within the next 3 weeks. 131 is where Japan had to take a break (it has since resumed).

Its just an interesting coincidence that episode 131 would air the last Saturday in August before Labor Day Weekend. And yes you can count on a marathon because Fire Force season 2 starts October 24th and they're starting the rerun with episode 15. It would have started at episode 14 if they were airing the regular line-up on  the first Saturday in September. So if they're running a marathon on that weekend then it would make for a good clean break for Black Clover if it went on hiatus the week before that. Then I honestly don't know how long they'd have to wait bring Black Clover back for premiere episodes but they should probably give it at least a few months so they don't have to take another break after just a handful of episodes.

Also regarding SAO's dub returning in August. I am now thinking the Aniplex rep actually was talking about Alicization's dub finally streaming (somewhere other than Adult Swim's site) in August. I say that because suddenly both FUNimation's site and Hulu are starting to stream the first quarter of Alicization's dub in August. SO that's probably what he was talking about. That said, LA studios are embracing the dubbing from home method so this batch of Alicization will likely be dubbed pretty soon. I still wont rule out the possibility that War of the Underworld could resume on Toonami later in August when Ballmastrz ends or Black Clover has to take a break. But alternatively, I could see new SAO replace JoJo on October 24th. Because it just so happens that JoJo ends the week before Fire Force season 2 starts, so they might be planning to start two shows that night. If SAO doesn't somehow come back sooner then they may as well wait till then.

If it's the thread I am thinking of it is not nearly as detailed or as informative as the post you just made, so thanks. 

Is Funimation dubbing Black Clover off and on because they can't dub all the shows at their usual rate at the same time?  If they are swapping between what they are dubbing, they should just drop the lowest priority shows for now and only concentrate on the highest priority, most in-demand, popular shows.  Unless they are still trying to dub everything they can, and aren't swapping between shows, and the current work restrictions are what is stopping them from releasing faster.  But I'm not really sure how they are doing things right now.  As I said, I feel like they should concentrate on a core of their most popular shows (and what people are also mainly subscribing to them for,) and not try to dub EVERYTHING right now.  If they are already doing that and still being hampered, then I don't know what else can be done to streamline things. 

I would hope they would be more consistent as things move forward and they settle into their new dubbing system, but on the other hand, virus spread and infection rate is just getting worse, even if progress on treatments and vaccines is happening.  It mostly has to do with people being stubborn and ignorant and doing what they're supposed to do.  I agree with my therapist, their behavior has been embarrassing for this country.  Like, I thought I had seen the dumbest people could get, but with covid I see some people were even dumber than I thought.  If they were only getting Darwin Awards it would be fine.  But the problem is,  they are endangering others and just making the situation worse for everyone.  I'm out of the last of my patience with conspiracytards too.  That shit is NOT helping right now.  This is a matter of life and death, the health of the people and the health of the economy.  We don't need all this misinformation and "HURR DID YOU ABOUT REALLY HAPPENED!!!! HURRR"  Fucking idiots.

Oh ok.  And I think they are on like 136 or something now?

A few months without Black Clover would be sad indeed since it is one of my favorite shows and one I look forward to the most every week.  It also been a stalwart for ages on the block.  But it would be better than having a lot of starts and stops like what happened with My Hero Academia.  Same as what I said about JoJo, which I hope they just went ahead and dubbed the rest of it, or took a well long enough break to have the rest of the show dubbed before the remaining episodes need to air, that they have a long enough buffer.  It may be possible that rerunning JoJo episodes was not in the contract or not possible for some other reason, but I would like to think and hope that they dont want a repeat of what happened with MHA with any other show.

What are they rerunning?  Fire Force?  I haven't seen that.  Was that part of the announcement for Fire Force's Season 2 premiere?  I haven't checked the thread for that yet.

Yeah marathons will be a boon now, as it turns the many past ones were that gradually delayed Black Clover's Toonami premieres behind the Japanese and Funimation Now's dub premieres.  I am surprised at Demarco's restraint in using them during this, actually.

I was really tired when I watched that panel, but I could have sworn he was talking about War of Underworld Part 2 dub specifically.  I don't know why he would mean the dub of the first Alicization Arc.  They even had Alice and Kirito's English VAs send in videos, and Bryce remarked on looking forward to hopefully having more dialogue in the new episodes, and they joked about how he had more lines in the game than the anime recently.  Plus the whole panel was mostly about the new cour, with a few promotions for other things sprinkled in.  You are saying they are embracing it and doing better with it more than Funimation is?  Or just that they are?  Either way, SAO dubs were always put out quickly in the past, I don't see it being much different now.  I do hope it will still be in August, but I suppose we will find out soon enough, whether it comes in the form of an another announcement, or month comes and goes and the dub simply airs or it doesn't. 

But man, with all the show delays and hiatuses, shows ending and not being replaced, time slots dropped, even pre-covid, waiting until October for another new show will be quite a drought.  I hope we get SAO before then, and not even just because I am a fan of it in particular.  I hope there are other shows coming too.

JoJo is supposedly done recording the remaining 10 episodes. It was all done from home. Netflix released a few complete seasons dubbed from home. CR has finished dubbing Tower of God, My Life as a Villainous and Iruma-kun from home. Debatably both CR and Netflix are getting shows dubbed faster than FUNimation. I have every reason to believe WoU will finish being dubbed using the home method. But I don’t think they started dubbing it quite yet.

FUNimation dubs a lot more shows than CR or Netflix on average and at the point COVID-19 hit, was in the middle of dubbing more than a dozen series simultaneously. They had to scale that back to a few and then a handful and now have increased that output. 

They prioritized MHA immediately  and then seemed to finish out Winter season shows with smaller casts and started Fruits Basket as the Spring season began. They seemingly stopped dubbing Black Clover for a while, probably because it was taking a production break in Japan but in the past two months they prioritized Clover while trying to finish out more Winter anime and release more Fruits Basket. Railgun also got prioritized during that time. 

They dubbed two episodes of Fire Force early but then it took three weeks for the 3rd episode. FF will no doubt be a priority now along with Fruits Basket and Black Clover. Aside from continuously dubbing those three and releasing episodes as often as they can (roughly 2-3 a month) they look to be trying to dub an additional 3-5 finished seasons that we’re partially completed before COVID-19 hit. Obviously they try to prioritize their most popular series but they don’t want to leave the rest entirely by the wayside until they can dub in the studio again. 

I think they are doing an admiral job balancing big and small titles but they simply have a lot more to do than CR or Netflix so they don’t seem as efficient with dubbing from home. The smaller workload makes all the difference. Now that Tower if God is finished, CR will probably be dubbing God of High School and maybe ReZero season 2. Meanwhile, FUNimation hasn’t quite finished every dub that started in Winter but they are close. Some shows continued into Spring. They just started dubbing Love is War season 2 which Simulcast during the Spring season. I think they are dubbing Clover, Fruits Basket and Fire Force just about as quickly as they can due the size of their casts and how much more work balancing the sound of 20 or more home studios is compared to using the same booth. That process probably could not be sped up even if FUNi limited themselves to only dubbing those three series.

You can see the full list of what they dubbed and when those episodes were released. They actually released about 10 episodes last week and will release 7 between yesterday and Friday. https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/04/25/dub-from-home-the-latest-news-on-simuldubs-my-hero-academia-black-clover/

Toonami is indeed rerunning Fire Force ep 15-24 starting next week. It replaces Mob at 1am. One rerun for another. Them’s the breaks. We very well might not see an additional premiere until October unless SAO is ready in time to replace Ballmastrz or Black Clover.

I’m really starting to doubt there will be another new show this year aside from FF season 2 and SAO WoU. I’d like to think their budget has enough funds for at least 1-2 more shows that are new to the network but it’s looking increasingly less likely.

Black Clover and Shippuden were the only long series they would have had to renew using part of the 2020 budget. 52 episodes of those two, 23 episodes of SAO, 24 episodes of Fire Force, 13 episodes of Paranoia Agent and maybe 13 episodes of Food Wars can’t possibly be all they were able to afford. That’s not much even compared to 2018 much less 2019. But at this point, saving budget for a couple of shows that will start late in 2020 and carry a few months into 2021 would probably be wise.

Makes ya wonder how things might have turned out if there wasn’t a global pandemic. MHA would have finished sooner, JoJo would be nearly over, Fire Force season 2 would probably already be airing, Clover would have kept on trucking and SAO would be on soon but what else? They still probably would have crawled back to DBS after MHA ended. Did AT&T screw them badly enough that even without a pandemic they would not have had more than 4-5 premieres right now? It definitely looks that way. AT&T and WarnerMedia and Adult Swim itself have plenty of money but they do not seem to be letting Toonami use very much of it for acquisitions right now.

It seems like Toonami’s acquisition budget is getting screwed because it is a much lower priority than original productions, co-pros and acquisitions for other platforms. With 3 million subscribers, Crunchyroll dwarfs Toonami in the revenue department. So they can afford to produce several original series and also license several more anime each season. That said, CR’s pretty lackluster offerings on HBO Max still makes me think they would run a lower quality block than DeMarco usually does.

• Like 2