UnevenEdge

Dragonball Super rerun Discussuon 7-19-20

Just now, mochi said:

.....I mean I wasn't gonna say it but Naruto and MHA are the only toonami shows that have black characters XD

I know anime is usually shown on Toonami, but the fact that anime comes from a severely non-diverse country doesn't help at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I'll bet Tom will mention crazy conspiracy theories at some point in the future.

I applaud the staff for being social justice warriors, but what I am is "concerned".

I would love to hear T.O.M. call out QAnon! That would be next-level insane!

They're treading a delicate rope. I do not look forward to Twitter going apeshit over this.

11 hours ago, elfie said:

I know anime is usually shown on Toonami, but the fact that anime comes from a severely non-diverse country doesn't help at all.

the one thing I've always found funny is that Toonami's rather progressive soapboxing is contradicted by the content of the animes they air

Spoiler

Weirdo Side of Twitter Triggered by Censored Leafa Tentacle Scene – NyanNet

Staff Officer Black | Dragon Ball Wiki | Fandom

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mochi said:

the one thing I've always found funny is that Toonami's rather progressive soapboxing is contradicted by the content of the animes they air

Spoiler

Oh god I been keeping tabs on the content of SAO and I DO NOT look forward to those episodes when they arrive here.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, elfie said:

If you think about it, anime is NOT progressive at all. Fanservice, male power fantasies, lack of diversity, bombastic set pieces.

eh. i can't say i agree there. we've all seen numerous examples to the contrary. not enough of them, certainly, but more than a handful of each

what's wrong with bombastic set pieces?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, elfie said:

If you think about it, anime is NOT progressive at all. Fanservice, male power fantasies, lack of diversity, bombastic set pieces.

I'd argue anime is actually an inherently regressive art form, women are just sex objects, black characters are clowns, and LGBT characters are variably either sex objects, or hateful stereotypes depending on what the target audience of the work is

• Haha 1

Just now, CorbeauKarasu said:

eh. i can't say i agree there. we've all seen numerous examples to the contrary. not enough of them, certainly, but more than a handful of each

what's wrong with bombastic set pieces?

True, anime is extremely varied in its content.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, elfie said:

Oh god I been keeping tabs on the content of SAO and I DO NOT look forward to those episodes when they arrive here.

To be expected at this point.

I'm mostly just watching for the fanservice and top notch action animation.

Edited by DangerMouse

Just now, mochi said:

I'd argue anime is actually an inherently regressive art form, women are just sex objects, black characters are clowns, and LGBT characters are variably either sex objects, or hateful stereotypes depending on what the target audience of the work is

Maybe, but often times the message can be quite progressive indeed, despite these story elements.

Like for example the message of Fullmetal Alchemist?

• Like 1

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

Maybe, but often times the message can be quite progressive indeed, despite these story elements.

Like for example the message of Fullmetal Alchemist?

You see that a lot in anime because it's NOT the norm there. The stories are supposed to tell people in society how they SHOULD be acting or what the world SHOULD be like.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mochi said:

Spoiler

Hey, mark that!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that.  The new SAO episodes have been mostly good to me, but there was one scene that was NOT needed.  I didn't look to see if there was a big stir over it.

Eh Officer Black is fine.  Remember he was actually competent whereas Commander Red was an idiot.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, elfie said:

Eeeehh it depends on the anime dude.  Many not only do far better for women, LGBT, minorities etc than other anime, but also Western entertainment and entertainment in general.

I love how the women are in Black Clover.  Noelle's growth and progression has been done especially well, and some very satisfying moments and fights for her.  The show has a very clear anti-classist, anti-racism, anti-discrimination, general don't be an asshole message.  It drills the point home by reversing positions and making Yami a rare foreigner and only Japanese guy in the kingdom who is treated with disdain.  The Wizard King wants everyone to be treated equally.

Say what you will about Kubo, but he does better for women, and representation in general, than many mangakas.  Chad, Tosen, Yoruichi and others were drawn well and were cool characters with good stories.  Chad's Fullbring item that was precious to him was his Mexican heritage.  I like how the women in general are used.  And people will see more in the new anime. 

Spoiler

Gigi the trans character.

Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2 are heralded as examples of how progressive anime can be.

Inuyasha himself is half demon, half-human, and is treated like shit by demons and humans alike, and we know how mixed race people are treated in Japan.

There are many other examples.

17 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Yeah, especially not THIS part.

Now if they had started it at the REAL Tournament of Power, that might be a different story!

Yeah.  But either way I will take the extra time to nap, get home, get ready, get food etc if needed due to first show being a rerun.  Which is why I actually don't mind Toonami starting later.

Edited by ben0119

Since it seems it was mostly discussed here, may as well throw my post on the PSA here as well -

Balls by Toonami to air this, but a bit late.  Should have aired months ago.  Also "People of Color" is a fucking idiotic term.  People got so PC they looped back ground to being racist again.  It's basically a modern version of saying "Colored People," which oof.  And last I checked I never met any transparent people.

But I like the spirit of the message and how they had the rebuttles ready for the usual BS from idiots who don't want politics or any kind of messages in their entertainment.  Well as long as they agree with it or are too oblivious to see it lol.

Edited by ben0119

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

Eeeehh it depends on the anime dude.  Many not only do far better for women, LGBT, minorities etc than other anime, but also Western entertainment and entertainment in general.

I love how the women are in Black Clover.  Noelle's growth and progression has been done especially well, and some very satisfying moments and fights for her.  The show has a very clear anti-classist, anti-racism, anti-discrimination, general don't be an asshole message.  It drills the point home by reversing positions and making Yami a rare foreigner and only Japanese guy in the kingdom who is treated with disdain.  The Wizard King wants everyone to be treated equally.

Say what you will about Kubo, but he does better for women, and representation in general, than many mangakas.  Chad, Tosen, Yoruichi and others were drawn well and were cool characters with good stories.  Chad's Fullbring item that was precious to him was his Mexican heritage.  I like how the women in general are used.  And people will see more in the new anime. 

Hide contents

Gigi the trans character.

Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2 are heralded as examples of how progressive anime can be.

Inuyasha himself is half demon, half-human, and is treated like shit by demons and humans alike, and we know how mixed race people are treated in Japan.

There are many other examples.

there's a handful of outliers who are exceptionally progressive,

Naoko Takeuchi (Sailor moon) Yoshihiro Togashi (Hunter X Hunter) and Rumiko Takahashi all being examples

Black Clover gives very mixed signals...on one hand it portrays women better than ANY shonen manga I've ever seen and as you said has a very on the nose moral surrounding Yami's backstory

but it also is sorta hinting at Sol "getting over being a Lesbian" for Magna

• Like 2

Attended the Crunchyroll Expo. They have 4 "stages" (livestream videos playing all day long with chat boxes). Two of them got taken down because of spam bots. They came back up roughly a half hour later, but in the process i missed the end of the one event I wanted to watch. Kinda frustrated, but it is free.