UnevenEdge

Mob Psycho 100 S1 Rerun Discussion Thread

3ngag3

i keep seeing these anime leading into this idea that the doting oder brother secretly hates and or fears his supernaturally powerful younger brther and it's a really intersting concept that always eventually seems to get sideswept by the strength of their brotherly bond and the appearne of hatred and fear ends up having been an illusion or misunderstanding. Mob PSycho does it and Blue exorcist does it.

but are there any anime where that secret fear and antagonism turns out to have been real?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

i keep seeing these anime leading into this idea that the doting oder brother secretly hates and or fears his supernaturally powerful younger brther and it's a really intersting concept that always eventually seems to get sideswept by the strength of their brotherly bond and the appearne of hatred and fear ends up having been an illusion or misunderstanding. Mob PSycho does it and Blue exorcist does it.

but are there any anime where that secret fear and antagonism turns out to have been real?

I don't know.  But Mob is the older brother.  And I really don't rememebe Blue Exorcist that well.  It was pretty generic and forgettable.  And I never watched the Kyoto Arc or read the manga.

20 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I don't know.  But Mob is the older brother.  And I really don't rememebe Blue Exorcist that well.  It was pretty generic and forgettable.  And I never watched the Kyoto Arc or read the manga.

Don't blame you for forgetting Blue Exorcist. Black Clover is like Blue Exorcist done right!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 12:34 AM, 3ngag3 said:

Those are all the exact same anime.

I wouldn't go that far but they're all very generic and indeed similar

Blue Exorcist is effectively a less pervy version of Soul Eater with judeo christian overtones and prettier character designs

Fairy Fail is One Piece but with magic and Wizards replacing Treasures and Pirates...it's also MUCH HORNIER than One Piece, and the guys are sexy and objectified too, whereas in one piece the girls are all just gigantic breasts with legs and the guys all look like grotesque nightmare people, aside from that Fairy tail is very forgettable

and Naruto is just DragonballZ with skinny teenage boys and Ninjas instead of Giant homoerotic musclemen and Aliens

Black Clover lifts aspects from all 3.....but has a tongue-in-Cheekness about it that implies it's fully aware what it's doing and using those clichee's as a medium to tell a self aware affectionate parody of a Shonen themed story, but can also stand on it's own merrit despite effectively just parodying it's predecessors

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 7:30 AM, Daos said:

People hate on Fairy tail, but it does have one of the best sound tracks in anime history.

Oh and huge tits.

I like Fairy tail....but it IS very generic and unoriginal

y'know for supposedly not being psychic, Reigen probably actually is...for various reasons

he's just not AS Psychic as Mob

because he CAN see ghosts.....just only really strong ones, he can't see whisper but did see the others

• Like 2

On 6/9/2020 at 4:32 PM, mochi said:

I wouldn't go that far but they're all very generic and indeed similar

Blue Exorcist is effectively a less pervy version of Soul Eater with judeo christian overtones and prettier character designs

Fairy Fail is One Piece but with magic and Wizards replacing Treasures and Pirates...it's also MUCH HORNIER than One Piece, and the guys are sexy and objectified too, whereas in one piece the girls are all just gigantic breasts with legs and the guys all look like grotesque nightmare people, aside from that Fairy tail is very forgettable

and Naruto is just DragonballZ with skinny teenage boys and Ninjas instead of Giant homoerotic musclemen and Aliens

Black Clover lifts aspects from all 3.....but has a tongue-in-Cheekness about it that implies it's fully aware what it's doing and using those clichee's as a medium to tell a self aware affectionate parody of a Shonen themed story, but can also stand on it's own merrit despite effectively just parodying it's predecessors

Blue Exorcist had hype too.  It was put over as like the anime equivalent of Spawn... but nope.  It is just generic SPECIAL POWERS SCHOOL ANIME.  X-men did it better. :P

Fairy Tail really is inspired more by Rave Master more than anything else, if you count it as inspiration if its work by the same author.  It has similarities to One Piece but isn't as similar as some claim.  I dont agree that it's so generic and forgettable, it has definite character, personality, and downright heart, soul, and charm to it.  When I think of generic and forgettable (ironically I would usually never think about them given how FORGETTABLE they are,) I think of the likes of Blue Exorcist itself, and Akame Ga Kill.  I will say though I still prefer Rave Master over Fairy Tail, and I am starting to think Black Clover might be better than Fairy Tail.  I'm at war with myself. 😧

DBZ with emo teens lul.  Totally 100% straight lead characters that one of them just wants to repair their "friendship!"

Agreed about Black Clover though, except it doesn't come off as generic to me.  It has unique character in my opinion.  And I'll mention again, in 2 or 3 eps Asta and Yuno are already better friends/brothers than Naruto and Sasuke ever were.

Edited by ben0119
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

who used to suck but then got exposed to Mob and actually learned how to use their powers for real

Yeah I was afraid there would be barely any other real psychics when we met these guys at first.

• Like 1