UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

On 5/2/2024 at 5:55 PM, PokeNirvash said:

At this point, it's just codespeak for "boy, I hope Zaslav doesn't write this one off for taxes!"

FWIW there is no evidence he has written off Housing Complex C, and there is no WAY he's touching any of the 24 episodes of FLCL!

So how did the last normal Toonami for a while do?

Not too good, I'm afraid!

The Force was not with Toonami on the 4th as Ninja Kamui ended its first (and possibly only) season with a resounding thud and apparently dragged the rest of the lineup to the abyss with it.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/ninja-kamui/episode-13/.210532

Well, that's no surprise.

On 5/9/2024 at 2:01 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

FWIW there is no evidence he has written off Housing Complex C, and there is no WAY he's touching any of the 24 episodes of FLCL!

I mean, he can't for six of them.

The [as] app still indeed has Housing Complex C, but I have just confirmed that [as] is no longer streaming Made In Abyss. Bummer.

And as for Lycoris Recoil...

Screenshot_20240513_225612_[adult swim].jpg

It seems Intern-kun has unwittingly picked the same color for the text and the background, rendering the page completely unreadable. Good one, [as]. 🤦‍♂️

Welp, no episodes in the first Ninja Kamui marathon made the Top 200 Reruns:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

Remarkably, the Rick & Morty lead-in checked in at #102 with 208K and a 0.105 in 18-49. Well, so much for any idea that this show has replay value, but then again, these WERE technically 3-peats since we also got the subtitled episodes the same night as the dubbed premieres.

We shall see in about a week if the 2nd marathon manages to pierce the Top 200 Reruns...

Posted (edited)

I really hope this Saturday does better than the last two weeks. It's the two-episode premiere of MAWS, in fact.

Meanwhile, I don't expect Toonami Rewind to be that successful in the ratings, but who knows?

Edited by Mr. Idea Box
Wrong day of the week.

19 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

...good grief!

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

#48 Rick & Morty with a 0.122 at 11:30 and Ninja Kamui marathon couldn't even muster a 0.084 at Midnight!? I'm at a loss for words.

What were you expecting? No show has repeat value when it comes to Toonami. You have people dedicate months to watch the show week to week, they ain’t coming back on a dead night with no new shows for a show they JUST watched. 

This is why I hope AS has incredibly low expectations for Rewind, causes after the first couple weeks when the new toy luster wears off, it’s gonna be turning in pretty rough numbers. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

What were you expecting? No show has repeat value when it comes to Toonami. You have people dedicate months to watch the show week to week, they ain’t coming back on a dead night with no new shows for a show they JUST watched. 

This is why I hope AS has incredibly low expectations for Rewind, causes after the first couple weeks when the new toy luster wears off, it’s gonna be turning in pretty rough numbers. 

So if you are the type that follows Toonami fandom social media, your feed is probably filled with people who watch marathons and tweet all night about them. Fansites are especially dedicated to blowing up hashtags to make them trend. Nothing wrong with that- it’s their job! So in appearance you’d think these marathons would do great, but the fandom is a very small percentage of the general audience 

I’m at a point in my life where these weeks are a relief to me because I have so much going on and things to keep up with that any repeat will not be watched. I simply don’t have the time and need to use that to catch up on other things. I think much of the audience is in a similar position and just doesn’t have time to watch a repeat of something we just watched. 

Edited by brianycpht

23 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

...good grief!

#48 Rick & Morty with a 0.122 at 11:30 and Ninja Kamui marathon couldn't even muster a 0.084 at Midnight!? I'm at a loss for words.

Holy shit. People are still THAT into The Big Bang Theory? Maybe AS should run that as Toonami’s lead in 

11 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

So if you are the type that follows Toonami fandom social media, your feed is probably filled with people who watch marathons and tweet all night about them. Fansites are especially dedicated to blowing up hashtags to make them trend. Nothing wrong with that- it’s their job! So in appearance you’d think these marathons would do great, but the fandom is a very small percentage of the general audience 

I’m at a point in my life where these weeks are a relief to me because I have so much going on and things to keep up with that any repeat will not be watched. I simply don’t have the time and need to use that to catch up on other things. I think much of the audience is in a similar position and just doesn’t have time to watch a repeat of something we just watched. 

I have long been of the opinion that those are just bots. Program the current schedule and have it hashtag the show every 10 mins or so. I haven’t checked in a long time, but do Toonami shows even trend anymore? Especially in an election year where whatever Grimnald Blarmpf is doing is straight to the top trends. 

Regardless, I don’t think anyone important is being fooled by artificial twitter engagement, especially when the blocks actual numbers are barely treading water. And in the case of nights like this, sinking like a boulder. 

Im with you there on the breaks though. I welcome the couple free Saturdays now and then. It’s easier to stomach when the schedule kinda blows ass anyway. Schedule we are coming back to only has Zom as appointment TV and I am just not excited at all about the block coming back on Saturday. 

1 minute ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I have long been of the opinion that those are just bots. Program the current schedule and have it hashtag the show every 10 mins or so. I haven’t checked in a long time, but do Toonami shows even trend anymore? Especially in an election year where whatever Grimnald Blarmpf is doing is straight to the top trends. 

Regardless, I don’t think anyone important is being fooled by artificial twitter engagement, especially when the blocks actual numbers are barely treading water. And in the case of nights like this, sinking like a boulder. 

Im with you there on the breaks though. I welcome the couple free Saturdays now and then. It’s easier to stomach when the schedule kinda blows ass anyway. Schedule we are coming back to only has Zom as appointment TV and I am just not excited at all about the block coming back on Saturday. 

I do think someone at at least Toonami Faithful keeps up with the hashtagging live. I’m sure Sketch can shed light on who but I do think it’s an actual person doing it and not a bot. 

It is kind of funny how everything is on break or off for the summer and Toonami is returning on the holiday weekend and debuting a new show as well. 

• Thanks 1

Solid lead in, but the audience did not hold for the second episode for some reason. Hopefully that’s not a sign for future lead Superman numbers. 

Much better as a Toonami premier, that’s for sure. And I like TOMs dig at the suits at the start of the night on Saturday. 

• Like 2

With that uptick by Shippuden in 18-49 on 5/25/24, I thought we might see DBZ Kai crack the lower reaches of the Top 200 again, but no dice:

Rick & Morty led into Toonami with a very strong 0.147 in 18-49 and 331K overall, so maybe the Man of Steel isn't as strong this time around?

Seems like Superman settled in between its first episode high and second episode low. Hopefully it doesn’t slip lower. 

When they first aired, Naruto and Kai were considered premiers, so it’s hard to believe that Sailor Moon wouldn’t be considered one 20+ years after its last appearance on cable. But it’s also hard to believe week 1 Rewind would start off below 0.01, unless that’s how bad Checkered Past has gotten in recent months. 

I guess time will tell. 0.01 is not sustainable, so if Rewind is canned by next month we will know why. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got in contact with someone at SpoilerTV, it seems they have lost their source for the ratings. They say they are looking for another one but Nielson has been cracking down on access so not to get our hopes up. 

Might be the end for real this time. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mr. Idea Box said:

If One Piece can't make the Top 400 at 1 AM, I'd hate to see what it does at 12:30.

Hopefully that is just an off week, everything got mogged by the debate and it’s following 24/7 coverage. That shouldn’t be the norm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Hopefully that is just an off week, everything got mogged by the debate and it’s following 24/7 coverage. That shouldn’t be the norm.

Oh right, I forgot about that. Then again, I made a conscious choice not to watch the debate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2024 at 12:52 AM, Toonamiguy321 said:

Well, looks like this week is going to be off too, as I expect everyone was tuned into coverage of the Trump assassination attempt last night. I hate that this is a thing that can happen, but there's nothing I can do to change it.

7 hours ago, Blatch said:

Well, looks like this week is going to be off too, as I expect everyone was tuned into coverage of the Trump assassination attempt last night. I hate that this is a thing that can happen, but there's nothing I can do to change it.

Yeah, news programs probably WILL be king for the week of July 8th through 14th.

11 hours ago, Blatch said:

The good news on debate week was Toonami didn’t do significantly worse than usual, but rather cable news did immensely better than it usually does and pushed regular entrants off for the night. Something we may not have even noticed if the daily ratings still were being posted. 

Wont be surprised if Toonami itself takes a hit this week since the debacle happened just 8 hours prior to Toonami starting and had live updates all day and night. Since it will dominate news coverage, next Saturday will probably end up like debate week with much stiffer competition with more people watching the news. 

• 3 weeks later...

You know, it did just hit me that my prediction from a few years back did happen, just with the wrong streamer.  Shenmue wouldn’t get a Season 2, but Yakuza is getting a series from Prime Video.

Unfortunately, not one episode of the My Adventures With Superman marathon made the Reruns Top 200, but Rick & Morty at 11:30 PM Saturday Night checked in at #200.

We'll find out later this week if Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc Marathon actually managed to crack the Top 200...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Unfortunately, not one episode of the My Adventures With Superman marathon made the Reruns Top 200, but Rick & Morty at 11:30 PM Saturday Night checked in at #200.

We'll find out later this week if Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc Marathon actually managed to crack the Top 200...

People don’t want to watch a marathon of a show they just watched 

1 minute ago, brianycpht said:

People don’t want to watch a marathon of a show they just watched 

Especially when they can watch it on demand.

Speaking of, MAWS’s sister show, Batman Caped Crusader hit #1 on Amazon’s streaming charts.  The people call for Batman.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jman said:

Especially when they can watch it on demand.

Speaking of, MAWS’s sister show, Batman Caped Crusader hit #1 on Amazon’s streaming charts.  The people call for Batman.

They were so dumb to let that go. 

There are people who seem to put their heads in the sand and assume the only way you’ll “catch up” is via those marathons. They are merely a stall tactic 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

My theory was it was counterprogramming to the Olympics. But yeah, not only did no Mugen Train Arc Marathon make the Top 200 Reruns, no Adult Swim on Saturday Night did either.

It’s once again, no one wants to tune in to see shit they already watched. In this case, for the 3rd time in a year. 

If the regular block can still (barely I’ll admit but it was still there) chart on the week of a historical debate disaster, a historical assassination attempt on a former president, and a historical dropping out of the presumptive nominee, then the block would have charted with the Olympics had the normal lineup aired. This was a simple case of them using marathons to line things up, a necessary job when a show you are starting has an abnormal runtime to factor in one week. 

• Like 1

SPLAT.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-26th_01602488462.html?m=1#google_vignette

Good rankings, but MAN those hard numbers STINK to high heaven!! That's what happens when you go up against The Olympics, even when the actual events are hours before Toonami even starts! Hilariously, One Piece beat Demon Slayer.

Random Bob's on Saturday cracked the Top 200 Reruns...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

SPLAT.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-26th_01602488462.html?m=1#google_vignette

Good rankings, but MAN those hard numbers STINK to high heaven!! That's what happens when you go up against The Olympics, even when the actual events are hours before Toonami even starts! Hilariously, One Piece beat Demon Slayer.

Random Bob's on Saturday cracked the Top 200 Reruns...

Holy shit lmao that’s a new record low by a huge gap. A little unfair since it’s the average of 2 timeslots, but I think even splitting them they still would have broken the record. 

Really goes to show how politics can rock this chart. This was a quiet week, nothing ridiculous happened. So despite those awful numbers, our 3 premier shows made the chart, at a pretty healthy ranking too. Next week is the DNC and its accompanying coverage, so we may not see any numbers if they are this bad. And with Rick subs up front tonight, they might be. Hopefully after that we can at least have a quiet September, but I’d expect the rest of the year to be pretty feisty on the news networks from October onwards. 

Im gonna put my bet down now. Double digits at midnight are on the table before 2024 ends. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1