UnevenEdge

crazy things you believe in

Distortedreasoning

You know those traffic lights they have on onramps to help space out traffic and supposedly make it flow better?

I call bullshit.

I think they are designed to make traffic slow down instead. 

Think about it, usually you have to stop right at the start of an onramp giving you little chance to accelerate to traffic speed.  Unless you floor it and have a V8 you arent going to get up to the 55-65MPH needed to meet traffic speed.  So that forces the entire right lane to slow wayyyyy down to let those people onto the freeway, and that causes the freeway to slow down.

Sometimes I believe what I choose influences what other people do. Like a combination of superstition and statistics math. And not so much as I influence them. Like how many people very similar to me (or you) are out there do you think? Out of 7,400,000,000 people? Maybe a million? So if I stop watching a show I feel like a million people like me might stop watching it. Idk it's stupid

I always wondered what the term for this was. Closet thing is "multiple discovery" and it's basically referring to the phenomenon that a lot of things are "discovered," "invented" or developed at the same time by multiple people. Same can be said of all the "copy cat" movies and novels we see that have the same core but are not carbon copies of one another and existed independently without knowledge of the existence of similar work. 

But like you said, it's more than that. It's the same reason a restaurant might see a lot of people order the same dish, one that isn't popular, on the same day without any of the guests knowing anyone else ordered it. Kinda like the idea to get the food or stop watching the show is a living entity, floating in the aether from person to person. Real tinfoil hat territory.

I have a hackneyed theory that advantageous evolutionary adaptations aren't usually the result of random mutations but conscious efforts made on the cellular level to keep life forms viable for as long as possible so they can continue absorbing heat/energy or whatever purpose drives our instincts but I don't like talking about it bc of how dumb it sounds.

I have a hackneyed theory that advantageous evolutionary adaptations aren't usually the result of random mutations but conscious efforts made on the cellular level to keep life forms viable for as long as possible so they can continue absorbing heat/energy or whatever purpose drives our instincts but I don't like talking about it bc of how dumb it sounds.

Go on.