UnevenEdge

Something about the new Season of SAO I feel is worthy of note

mochi

apparently it follows the plot of one of the Bandai/Namco SAO games and introduces a secondary protagonist who is friends with Kirito (and is basically just a blonde palate swap of him)

which is only noteworty to me because in the game

He and Kirito have a sort of gay Dynamic

maxresdefault.jpg

and you can actually make him and Kirito fuck

maxresdefault.jpg

so basically he seems to be to Kirito as Yuuki was to Asuna in mother's Rosario

that said I'm sure the gay stuff was just BandaiNamco's trademark gay options and is not going to follow through in the anime

31 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Okay, so what's his debilitating ailment?

something the show will portray horribly I'm sure

that or since he seems to (in the game) be supplying a hypothetical gay option for Kirito, they'll just portray same sex romance in a horribly sloppy and misguided way, like the GGO game I just downloaded at the request of a friend

Spoiler

you can fuck one of your male party members in addition to all the female ones....but the lone gay man you can romance turns out to be the main villain and a Yandere who tries to kill you no matter what you do

that said you can also make the game's resident fanservice character the same sex as you, and you can fuck the above blonde Kirito palate swap character in some DLC

Ironically Yuuki is alive in the GGO game....and even though you can invite her into your bed...she implies nothing happened between you and she literally just slept there......so Lesbian cofirmed xD

Edited by mochi

Mochi, I haven't seen or read this new season of the anime but I highly doubt Reki or anyone working on the anime wants to portray Kirito and Kirito-Clone-But-With-Blond-Hair-Because-Reki's-Lazy as being gay, in the anime at least. 

There just has to be a time in your life where you just have to realize maybe not EVERYTHING needs to have some kind of gay/lesbian content.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Mochi, I haven't seen or read this new season of the anime but I highly doubt Reki or anyone working on the anime wants to portray Kirito and Kirito-Clone-But-With-Blond-Hair-Because-Reki's-Lazy as being gay, in the anime at least. 

There just has to be a time in your life where you just have to realize maybe not EVERYTHING needs to have some kind of gay/lesbian content.

tbh  I didn't buy the SAO game expecting to have a gay romance option I assumed I would be forced to fuck Kirito's girlfriends

but then the first line in the game has a female character imply I like dudes, and it let me make the shameless fanservice character also be a dude

esa0126.jpg

so I was like

"well Damn...okay then"

Edited by mochi

1 hour ago, mochi said:

tbh  I didn't buy the SAO game expecting to have a gay romance option I assumed I would be forced to fuck Kirito's girlfriends

but then the first line in the game has a female character imply I like dudes, and it let me make the shameless fanservice character also be a dude

esa0126.jpg

so I was like

"well Damn...okay then"

Look I have no intention of playing the game but I'm just gonna go ahead assume that's an exaggeration.

As usual, you're misinformed.  The first Alicization light novel came out in 2012.  If they started out as web novels first, then it's even older.  I'm not going to look into it more because I don't want to run into spoilers.  The games are based on the light novels, sure as hell not the other way around.

I could see a possibility of the Eugeo having a crush on Kirito, but from what I can tell of the first episode, OP, etc. they'll probably just be bros.  Even then, that would at least be a new kind of relationship to see Kirito in.

16 hours ago, elfie said:

Look I have no intention of playing the game but I'm just gonna go ahead assume that's an exaggeration.

not really, the first thing that happens after this character is introduced is Klein talking about how Jealous he is that I get my own "little cutie" to "mess around with" and how he wishes he had one

Edited by mochi

13 hours ago, ben0119 said:

As usual, you're misinformed.  The first Alicization light novel came out in 2012.  If they started out as web novels first, then it's even older.  I'm not going to look into it more because I don't want to run into spoilers.  The games are based on the light novels, sure as hell not the other way around.

I could see a possibility of the Eugeo having a crush on Kirito, but from what I can tell of the first episode, OP, etc. they'll probably just be bros.  Even then, that would at least be a new kind of relationship to see Kirito in.

like I said the gay stuff was probably invented for the game

BandaiNamco has been slipping gay options into games based on series that have no gay content for a while now

like Naruto, some of the Naruto games let Naruto date the other boys even though in the anime he has gone on the record as having a kneejerk homohobic reaction when a guy told him he liked him (Platonically)

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Phillies said:

you can make characters fuck in the game??

......Kiiiind of

remember how Kirito and Asuna were clearly getting ready to fuck in SAO season 1...but then nothing was shown

it's kinda like that

once you reach Max Affinity with someone in your party you can "invite them to sleep over" resulting in a scene where they lay next to you in bed and say really really suggestive things to you, then the next morning you're given a pin-up of them staring into your eyes with their clothing messed up talking about how much fun last night was

so the implication is that you fucked

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, mochi said:

not really, the first thing that happens after this character is introduced is Klein talking about how Jealous he is that I get my own "little cutie" to "mess around with" and how he wishes he had one

I DON'T CARE.  I'll watch the anime when Toonami airs it. Because YOU KNOW THEY WILL.

41 minutes ago, mochi said:

......Kiiiind of

remember how Kirito and Asuna were clearly getting ready to fuck in SAO season 1...but then nothing was shown

it's kinda like that

once you reach Max Affinity with someone in your party you can "invite them to sleep over" resulting in a scene where they lay next to you in bed and say really really suggestive things to you, then the next morning you're given a pin-up of them staring into your eyes with their clothing messed up talking about how much fun last night was

so the implication is that you fucked

Unless you're talking about SAO Abridged, where naturally, they DO have them fuck (off the camera frame, but still)

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Unless you're talking about SAO Abridged, where naturally, they DO have them fuck (off the camera frame, but still)

SAO's creator also sells a canon self published doujin at some of the cons he goes to showing the sex scene

was a meme in the SAO fandom for a while

• Like 1

So it's canon in the SAO universe that Kirito the virgin is so manly he can make Asuna orgasm just by playing with her breasts.

And Asuna pleasured herself to Kirito before they got together.

Really taking that Mary Sue thing to the extreme eh? All I gotta say is

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Daos said:

So it's canon in the SAO universe that Kirito the virgin is so manly he can make Asuna orgasm just by playing with her breasts.

And Asuna pleasured herself to Kirito before they got together.

Really taking that Mary Sue thing to the extreme eh? All I gotta say is

There ARE reasons why people hate Kirito

I cannot stress it enough that the hatred of him as a character is completely justified

I don't mind Mary Sue characters if the ride is enjoyable. But anyone who says he's not one after reading that... they're nuts =P

What else would he need to do? Bang Silica so hard it causes her to instantly go through puberty?

Cure Yuki's aids after she goes down on him?

3 way with Sinon and Leefa? Or maybe Asuna and her Mom?

That whole thing just sounded so fan fictiony I never assumed it was real.

47 minutes ago, Daos said:

I don't mind Mary Sue characters if the ride is enjoyable. But anyone who says he's not one after reading that... they're nuts =P

What else would he need to do? Bang Silica so hard it causes her to instantly go through puberty?

Cure Yuki's aids after she goes down on him?

3 way with Sinon and Leefa? Or maybe Asuna and her Mom?

That whole thing just sounded so fan fictiony I never assumed it was real.

to be fair Goku is a bit of a Marysue as well

it's just that until SUPER happned his marysue traits were balanced out by him actually being hard to hate

Super.....kinda dropped the ball on that one....by making him into a horrible person

Goku a Mary Sue? Nah I don't buy it. He's good at ONE THING.

He's terrible at everything else. Dumb......if you gave him an IQ test he'd register as retarded. He can't read or write. He sucks as a dad. He's selfish to the point of putting the Universe at risk to have a good fight.

What is Kirito bad at? Master hacker, electronics whiz, fastest reflexes in the game, genius, dominates GunGale online after like a week, dominates Ordinal Scale after like a day......all girls want the D including relatives, hottest girl in SAO pleasures herself to him and he can make a girl orgasm by fondling her breasts even though he's never kissed a girl.

14 minutes ago, Daos said:

He's terrible at everything else. Dumb......if you gave him an IQ test he'd register as retarded. He can't read or write. He sucks as a dad. He's selfish to the point of putting the Universe at risk to have a good fight.

What is Kirito bad at? Master hacker, electronics whiz, fastest reflexes in the game, genius, dominates GunGale online after like a week, dominates Ordinal Scale after like a day......all girls want the D including relatives, hottest girl in SAO pleasures herself to him and he can make a girl orgasm by fondling her breasts even though he's never kissed a girl.

Goku may be terrible at everything else but that never hinders him in any way

he always wins, and nobody can ever surpass him no matter how much they try, he gets stronger whenever he needs to whether or not the training he's done warrants it, he often gets powers he never had before just because he needs them for that specific moment (like the time in the Namek Saga he could suddenly read minds that they never explained and he never used again)

he's what some would call and "Anti-sue"

a marysue who has informed flaws in an attempt to hide that the character in question is basically perfect and has everything they need handed to them when they need it

while Kirito is a "god mode Sue"

a character who is literally perfect in every way to the point of being unlikable, but the series revels in how perfect they are and assumes adding more amazing abilities to their already OP skill-set will somehow make them more likeable

Edited by mochi

2 minutes ago, mochi said:

he always wins, and nobody can ever surpass him no matter how much they try, he gets stronger whenever he needs to whether or not the training he's done warrants it, he often gets powers he never had before just because he needs them for that specific moment (like the time in the Namek Saga he could suddenly read minds that they never explained and he never used again)

a marysue who has informed flaws in an attempt to hide that the character in question is basically perfect and has everything they need handed to them when they need it

Welllll he doesn't always win. Cell beat him at half power. He couldn't defeat any of the Buu versions by himself. He's just an OP character with plot armor. To be a Mary Sue you have to be generally great at everything.

On 10/11/2018 at 12:59 PM, mochi said:

SAO's creator also sells a canon self published doujin at some of the cons he goes to showing the sex scene

was a meme in the SAO fandom for a while

Actually he said it wasn't  canon and sure as hell is not selling it cons.  They probably did have sex, though.  He kind of wants people to forget about it.  But good luck with that. :D 

https://www.t-ono.net/sakura-con-2013/Reki-Kawahara-Panel-Sakura-Con-2013.html

Q03: Is Chapter 16.5 part of the original storyline? (Chapter 16.5 is a pre-novelized chapter of Sword Art Online)

KAWAHARA: I’m going to say this is a question that should normally be answered. I’m sure, like Kirito, who spent two years in a virtual world, how do you spend that time? I wrote chapter 16.5 in those days when I was sort of wondering. I would like to consider that topic to be disappeared quickly into the darkness of history.

Edited by ben0119

On 10/12/2018 at 10:45 PM, Daos said:

Putting the Universe at risk is a Super thing.  Goku was a good, caring person in DB and Z and wasn't that bad of a dad, either.  He was just marooned in space, sick, or dead a lot.

Yuuki had faster reflexes.  Hacking, electronics whiz, good at games, they kind of go hand in hand.  Again, people making a big deal out of putting computers together when they are like LEGOs these days and probably even easier in Kirito's time.  I know a guy who is good at all these things, doesn't even have anti-social problems of Kirito, and is a ladies man, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.  Guess my friend is a Mary Sue, lul.  Kirito still has social issues and is bad at actual physical activities.  Remember his sparring session with Suguha?  The thing of him being a wimpy nerd, he doesn't do nearly so well in real world fights.  He's only a good swordsman in the game world.  He improvised using a sword in GGO.  Again, Chapter 16.5 isn't canon.  Stop listening to Mochi's misinformation.

Edited by ben0119

On 10/12/2018 at 10:59 PM, mochi said:

while Kirito is a "god mode Sue"

a character who is literally perfect in every way to the point of being unlikable, but the series revels in how perfect they are and assumes adding more amazing abilities to their already OP skill-set will somehow make them more likeable

King Kai is telepathic, and Goku demonstrated that ability after training under him, so that's probably how he learned it.  I don't think it's true that it never appears after that, though.

47 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Putting the Universe at risk is a Super thing.  Goku was a good, caring person in DB and Z and wasn't that bad of a dad, either.  He was just marooned in space, sick, or dead a lot.

Yuuki had faster reflexes.  Hacking, electronics whiz, good at games, they kind of go hand in hand.  Again, people making a big deal out of putting computers together when they are like LEGOs these days and probably even easier in Kirito's time.  I know a guy who is good at all these things, doesn't even have anti-social problems of Kirito, and is a ladies man, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.  Guess my friend is a Mary Sue, lul.  Kirito still has social issues and is bad at actual physical activities.  Remember his sparring session with Suguha?  The thing of him being a wimpy nerd, he doesn't do nearly so well in real world fights.  He's only a good swordsman in the game world.  He improvised using a sword in GGO.  Again, Chapter 16.5 isn't canon.  Stop listening to Mochi's misinformation.

He beat the shit out of a grown man that ambushed him in the real world and the guy had a knife.. Kirito was unarmed and wounded.

He hacked into Yui's system to save her in like 30 seconds. One of the most powerful and complex computer systems in the world.

Putting computers together? He creates an interface that lets Yuuki see through and control a robot from her virtual world so she can attend class at a normal school. He had the fastest reflexes in SAO. Yuuki wasn't in SAO, and only had faster reflexes because her entire body was in a special VR machine 24 hours a day.

So him nailing Asuna is canon.... but him nailing her and making her orgasm by playing with her breasts.... and the whole two years of semen thing... not canon? Do I have that right? So it's a fanfic.... by the actual author?

Is there any character you actually do consider to be a Mary Sue?

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 8:24 PM, Daos said:

He beat the shit out of a grown man that ambushed him in the real world and the guy had a knife.. Kirito was unarmed and wounded.

He hacked into Yui's system to save her in like 30 seconds. One of the most powerful and complex computer systems in the world.

Putting computers together? He creates an interface that lets Yuuki see through and control a robot from her virtual world so she can attend class at a normal school. He had the fastest reflexes in SAO. Yuuki wasn't in SAO, and only had faster reflexes because her entire body was in a special VR machine 24 hours a day.

So him nailing Asuna is canon.... but him nailing her and making her orgasm by playing with her breasts.... and the whole two years of semen thing... not canon? Do I have that right? So it's a fanfic.... by the actual author?

Is there any character you actually do consider to be a Mary Sue?

In life-threatening situations adrenaline and survival instinct spring into action.  Plus Oberon was fucked up by the game when Kirito turned the pain settings all the way up. 

Spoiler

In episode 2 of Alicization Kirito is easily subdued by a psycho on the street.

People were complaining that Kirito put computers together when he was a kid, which as I said, is not really that difficult with modern computers.  The kid has been playing videogames and messing around with electronics and computers, including hacking, for his entire life, so yeah it makes sense he would be good at all these things.  It was basically all he did.  The show also established that Kirito was in a class specifically dealing with that technology that he uses to help Yuuki.  He initially made it for Yui, if you recall, so it's not like he pulled it out of his ass.

Yuuki had faster reflexes because all she did was play VR games almost 24/7, so even more than Kirito.  The point is, she's still better than Kirito.

But yeah, according to you, being good at videogames and being able to get women are impressive accomplishments lololol.

If you had read my links, then basically, yes.  SAO started out as a story Reki Kawahara wrote for a contest, that ultimately went over the word limit, so he threw it up on his website.  It took off in popularity, so he started writing more stories for it, as further web novels.  The web novels were later turned into light novels, which are considered the higher canon.  Reki also considers Progressive canon over the original version of the Aincrad Arc as apparently later arcs reference and deal with events that happened in Progressive.  Chapter 16.5 was, as Reki pretty much said, something he wrote when he was young and dumb, and would like everyone to just forget about it.  It was buried on his website, but people dug it up and shared it across the internet.  If it was intended to be canon, it would've been more prominent on his site, and he would've published it along with the other light novels.

Let's see.  Alice from the Resident Evil movies.  It's basically just the director saying LOOK HOW AWESOME MY WIFE IS!  Yami Yugi could be considered to be one, since he almost always has a solution to every duel he's in, but the enjoyment there is to see just what strategy he will come up with to win and what card he will pull out that helps him win.  I think the only times he lost was when the other person was cheating?  The Pharoah has thousands of years of experience at games, though! :P Alucard from Hellsing.  Again, the entertainment is in just how is he going to kick this person's ass.  In Vampire Hunter D, the reveal that D is Dracula, and then kicks the other vampire's ass is just glorious.  But since both characters are literally Dracula, their power is justified?  I'd argue the guy that's more BS is the catboy that has Alucard's weakness because he does.  Most of the other vampire powers in Hellsing don't need explanation due to the silliness of the show, but his should have.  About the only true Mary Sue I can think of who doesn't work is the main character of Prince of Tennis.  It's like watching Aizen play tennis.  Even then Aizen himself was explained, his weaknesses were discovered, and got a taste of his own troll medicine in the end.  Basically the whole show of Prince of Tennis just sucks.

Another thing... does the plucky underdog working their way up thing never get old?  Like, really?  I find it refreshing at times when we follow characters that start off already good.  Seven Deadly Sins, Rurouni Kenshin, Fairy Tail, Yugioh, One-Punch Man (a totally different but great take on a strong character,) and many other shows, start out with the characters already skilled and powerful, and they're all good shows.  I wouldn't call Fairy Tail, the Sins, or Kenshin Mary Sues, though.  Characters are allowed to start off not being fucking noobs.  Plus those shows did have beginner characters included in the casts, Lucy, the princess in Seven Deadly Sins, the kid in Kenshin, etc.  And Yami helps the less experienced but already skilled Yugi win games.  One-Punch Man, as said, is a completely different kind of story not dealing with the usual scenario.

So yeah, I believe some characters are Mary Sues, but most of them are entertaining to watch anyway, what with how they are used in their respective franchises, and most actually have justifiable explanations for their Sue-ness.  The term has been overused and abused so much, it's almost meaningless at this point, and like I said, for many people it's basically shorthand for "competent character I don't like." Then there's the fact that underachievers feel threatened by intelligent, talented, and successful people, including fictional ones, it seems, sadly.  I can't think of many true full-on Mary Sues besides Alice from RE and the Prince of Tennis kid.  And even then some of those Resident Evil movies were watchable.  The first one was decent enough, at least.  One thing I do find interesting, is you rarely see male characters accused of being Mary Sues.  Can't imagine why that is...

Edited by ben0119

On 10/10/2018 at 2:54 PM, elfie said:

Reki is not the artist for SAO.  The artist is some mysterious person known only as ABEC.  Not sure if the SAO characters' designs are made-to-order, though.

Edited by ben0119

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

People were complaining that Kirito put computers together when he was a kid, which as I said, is not really that difficult with modern computers.

Building computers isn't the same league as creating a robot that can operate like a human and support an advanced AI, Ben. That's not how computers work.

The show also established that Kirito was in a class specifically dealing with that technology that he uses to help Yuuki.  He initially made it for Yui, if you recall, so it's not like he pulled it out of his ass.

Even for technological geniuses, a single "class" isn't going to somehow make it possible to immediately build a fucking android. We don't have technology like that because it's extraordinarily complicated and haven't figured it out yet.

Yuuki had faster reflexes because all she did was play VR games almost 24/7, so even more than Kirito.  The point is, she's still better than Kirito.

That's physically impossible and alsp stupid. The longest anyone has ever lasted on no sleep has been was under a week. There are 2 people known for experimenting on this. One suffered extreme hallucinations with 3 days and completely gave up within 5, and his personality dramatically changed for the rest of his life. The other died from sleep deprivation.

The fact you have to play 24/7 to be better than Kirito is EXACTLY the kind of problem we're talking about. You HAVE to do ridiculous, impossible bullshit to beat him.

But yeah, according to you, being good at videogames and being able to get women are impressive accomplishments lololol.

Kirito isn't good at video games. He's bad at them but everyone around him is markedly worse. He's not a smart character, he's just given plot convenience to justify a ton of bullshit. Hacking is a believable quality; hacking into a game to prevent the deletion of a complicated AI is in real time, literally taking seconds, is bullshit on its own but not having even considered doing this from the start and allowing hundreds of people to die in the process is downright stupid. For that matter, if he can do that why didn't he end it there by turning on the logout button?

It really isn't about whether or not Kirito is competent. It's about whether or not he's supposed to be, and if he succeeds. He's supposed to be a genius, but his actions consistently are fucking retarded.

Edited by naraku360
  • Thanks 1