UnevenEdge

Crunchyroll to start producing original content because all the cool kids are doing it.

Jman

My biggest issue is why they're premiering this on Crunchyroll and not VRV, as that service has been adding a lot of classic western cartoons lately and also already has several originals.

Also, how come Jman's post isn't that the next thing they should do is make a Cannon God Exaxxion anime?

29 minutes ago, Blatch said:

My biggest issue is why they're premiering this on Crunchyroll and not VRV, as that service has been adding a lot of classic western cartoons lately and also already has several originals.

Also, how come Jman's post isn't that the next thing they should do is make a Cannon God Exaxxion anime?

Because I was thinking Masquerade would handle that for me.

Also that the odds of someone making a Cannon God Exaxxion anime are right up there with a Karate Minoru anime, a Getter Robo Devolution anime, and a proper 1:1 adaptation of the Larry Hama GI Joe comics.

46 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Because not everyone has VRV (which is good for me at least).

1 hour ago, mochi said:

cool produce something with a Gay character that doesn't fucking die since netflix and dreamworks won't (''<_<'')

Nope all gays will always get space aids or die a noble death sacrificing themselves to save their friends. I mean they died, but it was a NOBLE death so its ok. See. It worked out.

• Haha 1

More info:

- veterans of Animaniacs, Stoopid Buddy Studios (Robot Chicken), and Over The Garden Wall are working on this.

- Ellation, an At&T-owned company that runs both Crunchyroll and VRV, opened two studios to create this, one in LA , and another in Japan.

- the creator said Crunchyroll is producing more than one original cartoon, and that the rest will be announced in the coming weeks! :o

• Confused 1

"This is a show like no other that other studios are too afraid to fund"

- A staff member behind a fantasy anime-hybrid homunculus of nearly every CN or Kickstarter cartoon from the past 6 years.

I hope Crunchyroll succeeds in making their own shows great since I've always appreciated their model of streaming simulcasts other than the outdated video player or how easily their console apps crash before you can even get past the OP. If it ends up being good, it could open the door for more creatives to come up with cooler concepts and help them get the upper hand over sites like Netflix or Amazon who dropped the ball on their anime.

Still, there is alot of cynicism I have towards the marketing angle they went with "look at how diverse we are with 50% women and diversity" when it doesn't say much of the show's premise, let alone that the staff they've shown us has a more diverse range of hair colors than racial background. The fact that it's a studio owned by AT&T also raises signals since AT&T is odious, but if the studio's creative efforts aren't compromised by their cable overlords, it might not be bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elfie said:

More info:

- veterans of Animaniacs, Stoopid Buddy Studios (Robot Chicken), and Over The Garden Wall are working on this.

- Ellation, an At&T-owned company that runs both Crunchyroll and VRV, opened two studios to create this, one in LA , and another in Japan.

- the creator said Crunchyroll is producing more than one original cartoon, and that the rest will be announced in the coming weeks! :o

Ok, NOW I’ll say make a damn Cannon God Exaxxion adaptation.

1 hour ago, elfie said:

I've worked in advertising and marketing before. It usually requires lying to the fans to elicit a response in them so sales can go up, rather than telling them what the show is actually about.

Or you get Voltron with a bunch of insane self righteous fans sniffing their own farts over representation but no one buys the damn toys and it gets dumped unceremoniously.

Mark my words, if something similar happens to She-Ra it will never see a second season.

Now's the time to start competing with Netflix now that they realized like 90% of their shows are crap and they need to do drastic changes to the service like inserting ads in the middle of your binge-watching. :D

Fun game to play: What shows do you wanna see made in this new Crunchyroll-made series of shows??

8 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

I hope Crunchyroll succeeds in making their own shows great since I've always appreciated their model of streaming simulcasts other than the outdated video player or how easily their console apps crash before you can even get past the OP. If it ends up being good, it could open the door for more creatives to come up with cooler concepts and help them get the upper hand over sites like Netflix or Amazon who dropped the ball on their anime.

I always say people say this, but honestly, I've never had real issue with any Crunchyroll streaming service (website, phone app, PS3/4 app) in years.

I've used Crunchy's Wii U app for years, and I haven't had a lot of problems with it. On the other hand, there was an issue with my streams being dropped, so I would often have to restart the console... but that turned out to be a problem with the wireless internet in my house. It went away after we switched providers. o.O

Edited by Blatch

Wow, they all sure sound enthusiastic, eh?  Like someone laced their lattes with ludes.

I hope they don't follow the Adult Swim model where if they make their own programming and it's moderately successful, they decide that's more profitable than licensing anime and kick it to the curb.  I wouldn't expect Crunchy to do that, but now that AT&T has shoved their bloody fist up Crunchy's ass, corporate puppets will puppet.  I mean who knows better how to micromanage a subsidiary than a CEO packing his golden parachute?

Does it sound like I'm not too sanguine about this whole mess?

57 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I hope they don't follow the Adult Swim model where if they make their own programming and it's moderately successful, they decide that's more profitable than licensing anime and kick it to the curb.

I thought the Adult Swim model was making their own programming, giving the anime little but existent attention, and favoring endless reruns from other networks over either.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, naraku360 said:

I hate when I click on a Youtube video and it's Digibro.

Now I have to cleanse my viewing history. I thought I knew you, man. :(

Unfortunately everyone else was an alt-right shithead.  Because that’s why people are mad, not it being there instead of something good.

9 hours ago, LUNI_TUNZ said:

I always say people say this, but honestly, I've never had real issue with any Crunchyroll streaming service (website, phone app, PS3/4 app) in years.

Their phone app is solid, but I don’t believe I’ve gotten to have a full episode on the PS3 before an Applebee’s commercial or Jackie Chan rhino horn PSA tanks the video. Haven’t tried the PS4 app, but the internet connection on console apps can be spotty

2 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

Their phone app is solid, but I don’t believe I’ve gotten to have a full episode on the PS3 before an Applebee’s commercial or Jackie Chan rhino horn PSA tanks the video. Haven’t tried the PS4 app, but the internet connection on console apps can be spotty

I’ve used the PS4 VRV app.  I can safely say it hasn’t had any major hiccups so far thankfully.

.... I just went to the knowyourmeme page on the show, since there's otherwise very sparse information on the controversy. ....... they only link to two other videos about it .... Digibro, and Mother's Basement. -_- Really? Is the anime fandom voices really this small to the extent that we only have a handful of people to trust with our sheeple opinions now?? OUR FANDOM IS NOT COMPRISED OF 5 FUCKIN PEOPLE!!!! WHY THE FUCK IS DIGIBRO SPEAKING FOR ALL OF US??? HIM, A HORRID, EGOTISTICAL, JUVENILE, UNPROFESSIONAL, IGNORANT, SELFISH ASSHOLE WHO I UNFOLLOWED THREE YEARS AGO, WHO HONESTLY BELIEVES HE CAN MAKE A LIVING OFF OF JUST DOING HATE VIDEOS!?!?!!? I AM GLAD HE DIDN'T GET INVITED AS A GUEST TO CRX FOR 2019!!!!

Just goddamn make your own opinions of the show, and of Crunchyroll. He doesn't deserve your attention. I hope someone edits that knowyourmeme page soon because I cannot TAKE Digibro growing more popular by the minute any longer.

Crunchyroll, for their recent guest list on CRX, has invited mainly young Youtube amateur personalities to represent the anime fandom. This is a horrible idea, because it presents the American fandom to Japan in a bad light. They need to invite more professional producers who are actively working in anime instead.

... oh, and one last thing? ... ditch the Flash player for your player okay?

Edited by elfie

1 hour ago, elfie said:

.... I just went to the knowyourmeme page on the show, since there's otherwise very sparse information on the controversy. ....... they only link to two other videos about it .... Digibro, and Mother's Basement. -_- Really? Is the anime fandom voices really this small to the extent that we only have a handful of people to trust with our sheeple opinions now?? OUR FANDOM IS NOT COMPRISED OF 5 FUCKIN PEOPLE!!!! WHY THE FUCK IS DIGIBRO SPEAKING FOR ALL OF US??? HIM, A HORRID, EGOTISTICAL, JUVENILE, UNPROFESSIONAL, IGNORANT, SELFISH ASSHOLE WHO I UNFOLLOWED THREE YEARS AGO, WHO HONESTLY BELIEVES HE CAN MAKE A LIVING OFF OF JUST DOING HATE VIDEOS!?!?!!? I AM GLAD HE DIDN'T GET INVITED AS A GUEST TO CRX FOR 2019!!!!

Just goddamn make your own opinions of the show, and of Crunchyroll. He doesn't deserve your attention. I hope someone edits that knowyourmeme page soon because I cannot TAKE Digibro growing more popular by the minute any longer.

Crunchyroll, for their recent guest list on CRX, has invited mainly young Youtube amateur personalities to represent the anime fandom. This is a horrible idea, because it presents the American fandom to Japan in a bad light. They need to invite more professional producers who are actively working in anime instead.

... oh, and one last thing? ... ditch the Flash player for your player okay?

Okay, dude. Like, Digi sucks balls and Mother's Basement is mediocre at best, but really, calm the shit down.

• Like 3

Anitubers... (ﺧ益ﺨ)

Ever since Youtube's suggestions bar kept spamming unsolicited op-eds from these knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers, I chose not to give any of them the time of day.

How many click-bait "IS [insert popular anime or flavor-of-the-month anime] BAD!?!?!?!?!?!?" videos can you watch before you realize it's the same shit? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elfie said:

WHY THE FUCK IS DIGIBRO SPEAKING FOR ALL OF US??? HIM, A HORRID, EGOTISTICAL, JUVENILE, UNPROFESSIONAL, IGNORANT, SELFISH ASSHOLE WHO I UNFOLLOWED THREE YEARS AGO, WHO HONESTLY BELIEVES HE CAN MAKE A LIVING OFF OF JUST DOING HATE VIDEOS!?!?!!? I AM GLAD HE DIDN'T GET INVITED AS A GUEST TO CRX FOR 2019!!!!

Show us on the doll where DigiBro touched you...

On the topic of Anitubers, I only watch the Canipa Effect and Cartoon Cipher consistently because I'm a huge nerd for anime production on both sides of the Pacific. I tried two of Gigguk's videos once. The "what if anime studios were people" video was fun, even if it got 2 of Diomedea's 3 listed productions completely wrong, but his "bad CG" video was really obnoxious. I think I saw one or two Mother's Basement videos but don't remember them well, I'd like to see fellow former ASMBer RogerSmith2004's videos but I'll need to get used to his higher-pitch-than-I-expected voice first (no offense if you're reading this, Roger), and Digibro means nothing to me so naturally my response to his bullshit is pure apathy.

2 minutes ago, imchapp.in said:

Anitubers... (ﺧ益ﺨ)

Ever since Youtube's suggestions bar kept spamming unsolicited op-eds from these knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers, I chose not to give any of them the time of day.

How many click-bait "IS [insert popular anime or flavor-of-the-month anime] BAD!?!?!?!?!?!?" videos can you watch before you realize it's the same shit? 

I miss DouchbagChocolat.

Digi's recently been saying some harsh words to Crunchyroll and had even advocated piracy which obviously the company does not like. He once said "I am the best anime youtuber ever and anyone who disagrees can suck it!"

Yeah good decision on Crunchyroll's part not to invite him this year