UnevenEdge

Crunchyroll to start producing original content because all the cool kids are doing it.

Jman

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Hold on a sec... that last Voltron show got 8 seasons? EIGHT? That number that sounds like the word ate?

They could have pulled production on it if it was losing money.... doesn't matter if you ordered an ass ton of eps up front.  We only know the toys didn't sell.

If I had to guess I'd say the show probably broke even or made a tiny bit of money, which doesn't make it a flop like say... Kevin Costner's Waterworld was a flop.

To be fair it’s more like 3 seasons by Avatar standards.  3 26 episode arcs. The episodes were split into teeny tiny chunks to air more frequently, but now they’ve stopped giving a shit.

Edited by Jman

seriously though if there was ever a time to start proposing ideas for an action based cartoon with gay male characters

WHO LIVE

maxresdefault.jpg

now would be the time

CR probably knows how pissed gay anime fans are with gay characters constantly being killed for completely no reason and if they think a show with a gay romance will sell (which they have to because Yuri on Ice), They'd be the best company to ask to do it (''>_>'')

• Haha 2

Actually you see at least two male characters in the character model sheets shown in the trailer, and there are likely more. You may mean they have no male WRITERS.

We will definitely get some answers to a TON of questions we have about all this when the CRX panel comes next weekend, and I will be relieved when it happens!

6 hours ago, Daos said:

Eesh. Looks bad, real bad. And there's no male characters either huh? I'll just do what I did with Voltron and forget it existed for the next 8 seasons.

They did say there were other shows to announce.  Let’s hope at least one of them is worth a damn.

9 hours ago, Jman said:

They did say there were other shows to announce.  Let’s hope at least one of them is worth a damn.

I'm still crossing my fingers for the first ever gay action anime (''>_>'')

if not there's always next time

19 minutes ago, elfie said:

Unless you count figure skating action. :P

I don't, I mean like actual hero battle type action

like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, HXH or MHA except some of the heroes are dudes who love dudes (''>_>'')

YOI is nice but I still want a show that lets Gay dudes kick actual ass and save the world

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mochi said:

I don't, I mean like actual hero battle type action

like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, HXH or MHA except some of the heroes are dudes who love dudes (''>_>'')

YOI is nice but I still want a show that lets Gay dudes kick actual ass and save the world

That is the absolute DUMBEST thing they could do right now.

Blame this shitheel.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jman said:

That is the absolute DUMBEST thing they could do right now.

Blame this shitheel.

you tend to flip flop a lot you know that?, one second you're liking my posts then you're saying making a gay action anime is the dumbest idea ever

17 minutes ago, mochi said:

you tend to flip flop a lot you know that?, one second you're liking my posts then you're saying making a gay action anime is the dumbest idea ever

I’m just saying that after everyone is going “SJW’s!” and promising AnimeGate, it may not be pertinent to give them ammunition.  Hence why I said blame them.

• Like 1

Before you go out and start giving the anti-SJWs a platform, you should consider that many other right-wing ideas might soon spew out of their mouths. Who knows if that's a good thing or not.

Well, this is entirely why I've done my best to ignore the controversy. The other side inspires no confidence at all in their attempt to breed hatred for women and minority groups.

2 hours ago, Ginguy said:

Leaving it here, totally relevant.

I pretty much agree with everything in this vid, hence watch it and /thread.

Wow, reading the title and already, before I even click anything, I HATE that guy. 

THE SHOW ISN'T EVEN OUT YET. WE BARELY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE EPISODES THEMSELVES!

I fear that if this gets any worse, the CRX panel will get canceled. Which would be a shame, as it would be a great platform for the creators to answer what the hell is going on from that vague trailer and clear up a lot of confusion!

Went back to the knowyourmeme page for this show.  I see the main section hasn't been updated since August 23rd, which means only Digibro's video and Geoff's tweets are there, leading me to believe everyone just wants people to believe it will never evolve. No mention there is made of how Crunchyroll announced a HTML5 replacement player coming in September, or how there will be a High Guardian Spice panel at CRX this coming weekend, or any more further opinions. NOTHING.  Great job editors.

Edited by elfie

10 minutes ago, elfie said:

I fear that if this gets any worse, the CRX panel will get canceled. Which would be a shame, as it would be a great platform for the creators to answer what the hell is going on from that vague trailer and clear up a lot of confusion!

Went back to the knowyourmeme page for this show.  I see the main section hasn't been updated since August 23rd, which means only Digibro's video and Geoff's tweets are there, leading me to believe everyone just wants people to believe it will never evolve. No mention there is made of how Crunchyroll announced a HTML5 replacement player coming in September, or how there will be a High Guardian Spice panel at CRX this coming weekend, or any more further opinions. NOTHING.  Great job editors.

Maybe they are better off canceling the panel because I cannot see any good coming from it, besides the writing staff getting pelted with eggs and tomatoes.

8 minutes ago, Jman said:

Maybe they are better off canceling the panel because I cannot see any good coming from it, besides the writing staff getting pelted with eggs and tomatoes.

I am feeling deja vu?  DId you post that exact thing in the same wording here earlier?

My god look at all the comments there. People are still saying the art style is crap and claim they know everything about the show, when their entire argument is that we DON'T KNOW ENOUGH!  Women have lead the production of a ton of anime and Western cartoon shows for years and they have become hits, some of them battled with networks that tired to kill them! Why not wait until the show actually runs!?  I fuckin draw lines and animate for a living. Doing that kind of craftsmanship and concept development is HARD FUCKIN WORK, I can tell the artists are really invested in making the style consistent and following the model sheets at least. The show's art looks really good! I mean we dont know how it's gonna move yet, but god dammit I am hating the way this country behaves more and more. Sure, it's simple and a few faces look like Steven Universe but so what?! 

Netflix started out mailing rental DVDs to everyone and now they're making their own original shows and movies too after years and years of good business growth, and I don't see near the same # of people complaining about them than with this little show that we barely knew about a week ago!

Know what? Maybe they should take this whole trailer down and upload a new one that TELLS US WHAT THE DAMN SHOW IS ABOUT later when they're ready! 

Nice mood to go to bed tonight in. -_-

Edited by elfie

There has been and always will be a fair amount of trash anime by year, I don't understand people who complain about stuff being trash if they're not planning to watch it anyway, I see no reason to as long as there's a handful of shows that catch my interest.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, scope said:

There has been and always will be a fair amount of trash anime by year, I don't understand people who complain about stuff being trash if they're not planning to watch it anyway, I see no reason to as long as there's a handful of shows that catch my interest.

Because normally it’s not their money funding it.  This is clearly a directive from their new corporate overlords at AT&T, since in capitalism if you aren’t expanding you’re dying, but the way the average subscriber views it is their money for Crunchyroll/VRV is being used to finance a show that looks like every single Western Steven Universe wannabe when that money should be going to Japanese studios and writers to make anime.

It also doesn’t help the main writer looks like every man hating feminazi ever, has made Twitter screeds about hating men and hating anime (when liking anime is like...the only reason someone would get a Crunchyroll account) and is in general the worst example of an SJW.

12 hours ago, Jman said:

I’m just saying that after everyone is going “SJW’s!” and promising AnimeGate, it may not be pertinent to give them ammunition.  Hence why I said blame them.

okay but Gamergate never even really happened, just a 2 week period where a bunch of basement dwelling neckbeards were whining that the women were taking over and one feminist blogger pretending she was being attacked by evil mens

and this will be the same, failures at life will whine for a couple days then give up when they realize nobody but them gives a fuck about their racist sexist and homophobic audio masturbation

Edited by mochi

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I hope this show is a huge success and all of the incels whining about it come down with apoplectic rage cancer. Unlikely, but a man can dream. 

I mean it probably will be since all these whining neckbeards are gonna make all the people who hate whining neckbeards love this show automatically XD, their attacks on the show are only gonna ramp up hype

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mochi said:

I mean it probably will be since all these whining neckbeards are gonna make all the people who hate whining neckbeards love this show automatically XD, their attacks on the show are only gonna ramp up hype

What hype? 

I’d agree if this was a Hulu or Netflix show, but no one gets a Crunchyroll subscription that isn’t into anime to begin with.  That’s what baffles me here.  If this was on Hulu and we had the same bitching, then you’d be kindly labeled as a moron.  This is different.

Edited by Jman

50 minutes ago, Jman said:

What hype? 

I’d agree if this was a Hulu or Netflix show, but no one gets a Crunchyroll subscription that isn’t into anime to begin with.  That’s what baffles me here.  If this was on Hulu and we had the same bitching, then you’d be kindly labeled as a moron.  This is different.

Complaining about a show is still hype. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

WHY IS THIS A BAD THING?? You get anime with your subscription AND NOW AN ORIGINAL EXCLUSIVE SHOW. 

14 minutes ago, elfie said:

Complaining about a show is still hype. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

WHY IS THIS A BAD THING?? You get anime with your subscription AND NOW AN ORIGINAL EXCLUSIVE SHOW. 

That people didn’t ask for and clearly don’t want.  

It’s hard to put my complaints into words because I stand by my earlier statement that if it was anywhere else no one would be this angry.  As it stands this looks like a huge failure to read the room.

26 minutes ago, Jman said:

That people didn’t ask for and clearly don’t want.  

It’s hard to put my complaints into words because I stand by my earlier statement that if it was anywhere else no one would be this angry.  As it stands this looks like a huge failure to read the room.

Making original content is the absolute next step any media company has EVER done for decades, and NOW people are getting angry about it!?

8 minutes ago, elfie said:

Making original content is the absolute next step any media company has EVER done for decades, and NOW people are getting angry about it!?

It is when you’re focused on a niche.  

Let’s use two examples - A more generalized service in Netflix, and a more specific one in the WWE Network.  The former sells sheer quantity of product across multiple genres, sort of like a cable subscription.  You get stuff that you don’t watch like documentaries or bad sci fi movies but that’s Ok, it’s part of a massive approach for broad appeal.

The WWE Network, by the name, is for fans of WWE, or pro wrestling in general.  All the material, whether it’s events, original shows, etc, are all related to that theme.  

Crunchyroll is more akin to the latter.  Their niche is anime, and making this Steven Universe looking cliche storm on that niche service is a disconnect.  It would be like putting a sitcom that has nothing to do with wrestling or wrestlers on the WWE Network.

2 hours ago, Jman said:

What hype? 

There really isn't any. It's just that a lot of people have the irrational mindset of liking stuff that triggers a political group they loathe. I don't support this at all, but the people are free to watch what and how they want. -_-

32 minutes ago, Blatch said:

There really isn't any. It's just that a lot of people have the irrational mindset of liking stuff that triggers a political group they loathe. I don't support this at all, but the people are free to watch what and how they want. -_-

I mean I'm not gonna watch it either because I haven't watched anything on crunchyroll in like 2 years but...I mean the neckbeards are only drawing attention to the series by whining about it so if they really resent the show so much they should just stfu

in fact as dumb as it would be CR would actually probably benefit from milking the "animegate" label and using it to promote the show xD

Edited by mochi
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Their niche is anime, and making this Steven Universe looking cliche storm on that niche service is a disconnect.  It would be like putting a sitcom that has nothing to do with wrestling or wrestlers on the WWE Network.

How is it a disconnect when High Guardian Spice looks like it has MOST things in common with Crunchyroll and anime?!

6 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Oh so you're just a fucking moron.

Well I just don’t watch shows I don’t like.  Like most people.

I’m trying to explain the virtriol here.  Not say they’re right for having it.

I mean you do know that there are anime that would fall into "SU looking shows" right? I mean that's just an asinine statement you made.

This backlash is nothing to do with how the designs look and everything to do with whiny pieces of shit thinking they own the genre and if CR dares to make their own stuff then it should cater to them. Anime is not the only thing CR does. They show live-action media as well yet no one is making videos dragging them for that. If this were some generic "guy goes to another world and falls in love with a talking pair of tits" then they wouldn't give two shits.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

I mean you do know that there are anime that would fall into "SU looking shows" right? I mean that's just an asinine statement you made.

This backlash is nothing to do with how the designs look and everything to do with whiny pieces of shit thinking they own the genre and if CR dares to make their own stuff then it should cater to them. Anime is not the only thing CR does. They show live-action media as well yet no one is making videos dragging them for that. If this were some generic "guy goes to another world and falls in love with a talking pair of tits" then they wouldn't give two shits.

From what I've seen, the backlash isn't really about the show at all, and it probably would have flown under the radar. They made a mistake telling us all about how the writers are 100 percent women and how wonderful that is... without actually telling us what the show is about. And then one of the women happened to be a weird man hater who posted ridiculous anti men things on her tumbleweed or facespace and yup sure enough, people are pissed.

Guy goes to another world and meets a girl with big tits? Nope nope never seen anything like that. You probably dreamed it. I would definitely know if something like that existed.

• Like 1