UnevenEdge

Toonami Ratings Thread 2.0

1 hour ago, elfie said:

By this point it's best to just have a VRV subscription and a Funimation subscription.

True, but for those who don’t want to juggle 50 subscriptions for every little thing, Toonami could strike while the iron is hot.

Or they could get Goblin Slayer and Gridman next year when the community has moved onto the inevitable adaptations of Dr. Stone and Trigger’s Kamen Rider Spirits adaptation.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

PRE-TOONAMI CN:

Alvin & Chipmunks: Road Chip (repeat) (TOON, 7:00 PM, 120 min.) • 0.690 million viewers (#47) • 0.43 HH (#48) • 0.17 A18-49 (#52) • 0.19 A18-34 (#29) • 0.15 A25-54 (#82)

TOONAMI PRIME TIME:

Dragon Ball Z Kai (repeat) (ADSM, 9:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.515 million viewers (#68) • 0.36 HH (#57) • 0.18 A18-49 (#46) • 0.21 A18-34 (#20) • 0.15 A25-54 (#82)

My Hero Academia (repeat) (ADSM, 9:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.502 million viewers (#73) • 0.34 HH (#61) • 0.20 A18-49 (#33) • 0.23 A18-34 (#13) • 0.16 A25-54 (#74)

Naruto: Shippuden (repeat) (ADSM, 10:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.513 million viewers (#69) • 0.34 HH (#61) • 0.21 A18-49 (#29) • 0.23 A18-34 (#13) • 0.16 A25-54 (#74)

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations (ADSM, 10:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.441 million viewers (#80) • 0.30 HH (#75) • 0.20 A18-49 (#33) • 0.22 A18-34 (#17) • 0.15 A25-54 (#82)

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-snl-on-nbc-tops-all-saturday-telecasts-among-adults-18-49/ | Programming Insider

11/10/18 - Total Viewers
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 515,000  
MHA 502,000 97.48%
Shippuden 513,000 102.19%
Boruto 441,000 85.96%
DBS 628,000 142.40%
MP100 443,000 70.54%
AOTS3 404,000 91.20%
JoJo4 332,000 82.18%
B. Clover 309,000 93.07%
H×H 272,000 88.03%
FLCL3 271,000 99.63%
PTE 245,000 90.41%
Lupin 215,000 87.76%
Jack 206,000 95.81%
AVERAGE 378,286 38th of 45

11/10/18 - Adults 18-49
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 234,000  
MHA 259,000 110.68%
Shippuden 268,000 103.47%
Boruto 253,000 94.40%
DBS 393,000 155.34%
MP100 246,000 62.60%
AOTS3 229,000 93.09%
JoJo4 188,000 82.10%
B. Clover 161,000 85.64%
H×H 144,000 89.44%
FLCL3 136,000 94.44%
PTE 138,000 101.47%
Lupin 130,000 94.20%
Jack 111,000 85.38%
AVERAGE 206,429 41st of 45

Hey, that's not too shabby! It's probably more beneficial to say this was the 2nd-highest rated 7-hour Toonami block (the first was the Family Guy-led block back on 9/29) in terms of total viewers and the 3rd highest in Adults 18-49. Also, the 18-34 average for the first half of the block was 0.231, or roughly 157.4K, which is actually the 2nd highest 9 PM-12:30 AM average we've seen.

New page repost. Remember, up next is Madagascar leading-in to Toonami. Could provide pretty big ratings for the marathon, if DBZ Kai doesn't dissipate them.

Edited by OwlChemist81

1 hour ago, Jman said:

True, but for those who don’t want to juggle 50 subscriptions for every little thing, Toonami could strike while the iron is hot.

... that's where EVERY streaming service is going, dude, and it's going to be worse. Everyone is going exclusive, which means more services, and more required spending. You're going to have to pay more for the same things you watch now.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The thing about Goblin Slayer is: I haven't seen it, but I can't deny its popularity in thinking acquiring it would probably be an asset for Toonami, especially if it goes beyond the currently-planned 12 episodes. But if this rape issue is an issue, how bad is it? Are we talking SAO-level or are we talking Griffith x Charlotte in Berserk The Movie II?

The former would of course be fine for Toonami, while the latter, most likely too disturbing, which would be a shame because Toonami needs to cash in on the popularity of a series like Goblin Slayer right now, especially since VRV subscribers just lost access to the dub after, what, 3 episodes came out?

The first episode of Goblin Slayer is pretty dang graphic, plenty is not shown but you know exactly what's going on. I've seen every episode thus far and that's by far the most graphic encounter. That one episodes makes the cartoonish sexual assault in SAO look like nothing by comparison but it's still not Berserk. It could air on Toonami probably with no additional editing.

Maybe they could take advantage of the fact that people may not immediately subscribe to FUNimation to keep watching those dubs but it's probably already too late to grab those viewers. People don't wait. They find other means legal or otherwise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daos said:

Naruto Slayer, I mean Goblin Slayer.

Well the manga art seems quite a bit better than the anime. Noted. That must be Cow Girl and she's a cutie in the anime but dang son the manga has that beat.

Edited by Sketch

7 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The first episode of Goblin Slayer is pretty dang graphic, plenty is not shown but you know exactly what's going on. I've seen every episode thus far and that's by far the most graphic encounter. That one episodes makes the cartoonish sexual assault in SAO look like nothing by comparison but it's still not Berserk. It could air on Toonami probably with no additional editing.

Maybe they could take advantage of the fact that people may not immediately subscribe to FUNimation to keep watching those dubs but it's probably already too late to grab those viewers. People don't wait. They find other means legal or otherwise.

You’re right about that. We don’t live in a world where there’s a Japanese audience and the only people who can see a show before an American television airing are torrentors. You can’t wait around for a year (or even months with simuldubs) for them to decide if “the show is any good” before deciding to air it. You have to take a risk sometimes.

I don’t know if Toonami knows the audience it wants to serve anymore. The availability of shows in one format or another makes the block antiquated for anime fans and still not mainstream for the “normies” who are a dwindling base, especially with no comedy lead in.

I think they need more industry people or people on staff who can research things as they are being produced in Japan to make deals before they start to get things going when popularity is rising. Of course, the lack of staff or budget is a concern. But they have to start asking themselves if they want to be the trendsetters or a low budget nick at nite for anime. Maybe the CR deal will help with that 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Well the manga art seems quite a bit better than the anime. Noted. That must be Cow Girl and she's a cutie in the anime but dang son the manga has that beat.

Meh it's pretty close I think. Goblin Slayer himself is CGI in a lot of anime shots though.

5 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

You’re right about that. We don’t live in a world where there’s a Japanese audience and the only people who can see a show before an American television airing are torrentors. You can’t wait around for a year (or even months with simuldubs) for them to decide if “the show is any good” before deciding to air it. You have to take a risk sometimes.

I don’t know if Toonami knows the audience it wants to serve anymore. The availability of shows in one format or another makes the block antiquated for anime fans and still not mainstream for the “normies” who are a dwindling base, especially with no comedy lead in.

I think they need more industry people or people on staff who can research things as they are being produced in Japan to make deals before they start to get things going when popularity is rising. Of course, the lack of staff or budget is a concern. But they have to start asking themselves if they want to be the trendsetters or a low budget nick at nite for anime. Maybe the CR deal will help with that 

At this point they probably need to dedicate one slot to a total shot in the dark brand new show as often as possible. Dimension W wasn't a great show by any means but people watched it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daos said:

Meh it's pretty close I think. Goblin Slayer himself is CGI in a lot of anime shots though.

Nah all the characters are uniformly rounder in the anime and because of that they lose some distinct features, particularly the faces but in the bodies as well. For a lack of better terms the manga has more human proportions despite maybe unrealistic breasts and hips.

Edited by Sketch

1 minute ago, Daos said:

They aired BC after everyone and their dog came out to say how bad it was. So I think it's clear that being "good" takes second place to being available and cheap.

Ironically people have since warmed up to Clover and now feel that Toonami shouldn't have buried it when they did. I don't really care either way but since it often beats shows airing ahead of it, it does seem like they made a mistake demoting it so much.

2 hours ago, Daos said:

They aired BC after everyone and their dog came out to say how bad it was. So I think it's clear that being "good" takes second place to being available and cheap.

It was the most popular show on Crunchyroll the season it premiered, to the point where it was their first series ever to top all 50 U.S. states. The show has always had fans, and its fandom has only gotten bigger with time. While it's clear that Toonami probably aired it because the Japanese companies were begging anyone to give to it a shot, it's not as if that was a bad idea.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

At this point they probably need to dedicate one slot to a total shot in the dark brand new show as often as possible. Dimension W wasn't a great show by any means but people watched it.

Yeah but it aired after Kai and suffered the same drop everything after Kai suffered at the time. 

I think you can take chances on something no one has seen, but ideally it would be from a manga that's super hot. Dimension W really just came out of nowhere. No one seemed to have heard of it or read the manga. Manga still ongoing btw, go get it you DW fans!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Blatch said:

It was the most popular show on Crunchyroll the season it premiered, to the point where it was their first series ever to top all 50 U.S. states. The show has always had fans, and its fandom has only gotten bigger with time. While it's clear that Toonami probably aired it because the Japanese companies were begging anyone to give to it a shot, it's not as if that was a bad idea.

Yeah, and it was universally panned by just about everyone. Even the extremely generous CR community gives it 3.5 out of 5. They give SAO a 4.4 out of 5.

Between CR's articles on how to bake BC cupcakes and articles on how it's the greatest Shonen adaptation ever........  I'm sure they had a bit to do with it being number 1 at the time. I even watched the first 3 or 4 episodes subbed to see what all the fuss was about. It wasn't horrible just not really worth spending time on.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/01/17/black-clover-may-be-the-best-shonen-anime-adaptation

Remember kids.... Filler isn't bad, it's bonus content!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Daos said:

Remember kids.... Filler isn't bad, it's bonus content!

I've seen that same point used for MHA and other, more well-liked shonen, but nobody gives a shit. Really, Black Clover's original sin has nothing to do with the show itself, but the hatedom that sprung from it. In these people's minds, after they watched a few episodes of the show, they didn't care if it got any better. To them, it'd always be the one with the screamo protagonist, a boring world that amounts to Naruto with magic, and the same generic shonen plots. And yet these points, especially the last one, are a major draw to the show for many, while the downsides have been mitigated over er time.

I feel like I've typed this all before, but either way, it's a shame. I see no reason to argue with the haters if they can't stop regurgitating the same tired arguments.

1 minute ago, Blatch said:

I've seen that same point used for MHA and other, more well-liked shonen, but nobody gives a shit. Really, Black Clover's original sin has nothing to do with the show itself, but the hatedom that sprung from it. In these people's minds, after they watched a few episodes of the show, they didn't care if it got any better. To them, it'd always be the one with the screamo protagonist, a boring world that amounts to Naruto with magic, and the same generic shonen plots. And yet these points, especially the last one, are a major draw to the show for many, while the downsides have been mitigated over er time.

I feel like I've typed this all before, but either way, it's a shame. I see no reason to argue with the haters if they can't stop regurgitating the same tired arguments.

Except MHA has like 3 filler episodes total, and I think the first one doesn't come until you're 30 episodes in.

BC had a filler episode by the third episode. I mean look, they completely botched the beginning of the anime. It's hard to recover from that.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

I’m really hoping that this CR partnership gives them more access to industry people who are actually liscensing anime as it’s coming out of Japan. I think the way moving foward is for the crew to be involved with that side of the business and be in the loop with those people as these deals are being made. That way they can be on the ground floor as and pick the liscensees that best suit the block and go from there and not waiting for a request or huge buzz around a show after it airs and streams over here. As time goes on, that’s going to be increasingly too late.

It’s a shame because the network in the past is almost synonymous with shows like Gundam, DBZ, Bebop, Yuyu, ect... That hasn’t been the case in this new age for most of the shows they’ve aired recently. I don’t know if it can be anymore. Super’s potential was squandered by TOEI taking so long to get the dub going and aired over here. There was a lot of mainstream hype for the ToP last year and early this year, but the attention was on the sub streaming and not on Toonami. For the general fanbase, it’s just “Oh I may tune in to check out how this scene sounds in English”. But could you imagine how well it would’ve done if it was closer to Japan?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Daos said:

BC had a filler episode by the third episode. I mean look, they completely botched the beginning of the anime. It's hard to recover from that.

Ostensibly, it had a rough start, but that didn't stop the fanbase from growing. The show is seemingly more popular now than it's been at any point.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 9:25 PM, Blatch said:

Ostensibly, it had a rough start, but that didn't stop the fanbase from growing. The show is seemingly more popular now than it's been at any point.

It's definitely popular, I'm not saying no one watches it. But due to its rough start it's popular in the same way Boruto is popular. People watch it, but most people kind of think of it as a joke.

According to Mal Black Clover is actually slightly more popular than Boruto, so it's not like it doesn't have a fan base.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daos said:

I'm calling lowest ratings ever for this marathon. Time will tell!

What's its competition? I think if Madagascar starts off the night well, it will do fine. Granted, half of America will probably be watching competing College Football games (including myself) in the early stages, but later at night more will be watching.

Besides, the MHA marathon way back on 9/1 actually did better later in the night. That's the effect of marathons--they start off lower but don't seem to fall as far.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Nah, I'm fine. I'll admit I died a little inside when I looked at these ratings though:

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-ohio-state-maryland-on-abc-in-early-afternoon-is-the-top-saturday-telecast-among-adults-18-34-and-all-key-male-demos/

11/17/18 - Total Viewers
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 486,000  
AOT #38 309,000 63.58%
AOT #39 276,000 89.32%
AOT #40 258,000 93.48%
AOT #41 269,000 104.26%
AOT #42 278,000 103.35%
AOT #43 241,000 86.69%
AOT #44 251,000 104.15%
AOT #45 251,000 100.00%
AOT #46 280,000 111.55%
AOT #47 238,000 85.00%
AOT #48 248,000 104.20%
AOT #49 233,000 93.95%
Jack 217,000 93.13%
AVERAGE 273,929 Dead Last

11/17/18 - Adults 18-49
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 223,000  
AOT #38 147,000 65.92%
AOT #39 134,000 91.16%
AOT #40 132,000 98.51%
AOT #41 149,000 112.88%
AOT #42 163,000 109.40%
AOT #43 139,000 85.28%
AOT #44 134,000 96.40%
AOT #45 129,000 96.27%
AOT #46 149,000 115.50%
AOT #47 130,000 87.25%
AOT #48 135,000 103.85%
AOT #49 139,000 102.96%
Jack 133,000 95.68%
AVERAGE 145,429 Dead Last

Awful though this is, this might not necessarily be the fault completely of AOT. I'll bet the night would have started out a bit better if CN had gone with Madagascar as planned instead of some shitty DC Lego movie. Perhaps in the future it would be best to kick off marathons with a double-shot of Super reruns. Maybe next time Toonami tries a marathon, there will be an interesting mini-arc to rehash at the start of the night.

Well, at least next week we can only go up from here, right??

On 11/17/2018 at 1:16 AM, Daos said:

I'm calling lowest ratings ever for this marathon. Time will tell!

Sometimes it hurts to be right. Not only was it dead last but I think it was dead last by a considerable margin, yeah?

I have to disagree with you there. S1 had massive appeal to the casual anime fan as well as the more dedicated anime fans. I loved S1.  S2 and S3 don't have the same appeal.

The slow pace, the constant flashbacks and never ending monologuing. Maybe.. 3 good action scenes spread out over 12 episodes?

And yet S3 is good to watch because it's actually answering unanswered questions from S1 and S2.

The first 2 episodes were chock full of good action scenes, and there was plenty of action there in the middle around 7-9 with the crystal cave and the big-ass titan, but oddly enough those episodes were the worst peformers of the night.

2 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

And yet S3 is good to watch because it's actually answering unanswered questions from S1 and S2.

The first 2 episodes were chock full of good action scenes, and there was plenty of action there in the middle around 7-9 with the crystal cave and the big-ass titan, but oddly enough those episodes were the worst peformers of the night.

The political conspiracy plot wasn't a winner for me. We introduced a bunch of new stuff and answered some of those questions but in the process got a bit convoluted and never really got back around to actually getting to Eren's basement. Annie's still enjoying her years in the crystal? Beast Titan from S2... at least he got a cameo. We mention Kenny for the first time about 30 seconds before he appears and blows someones head off.  A side character became queen? Well at least she wasn't another Titan. Well she almost became a Titan.

Eren ate his father? Mmmk. He has the "coordinate" which allows him to control every Titan? Alright. The founding Titan erased everyone's memory? How? Snapped his fingers? Except some people aren't affected for... reasons.

And if you have royal blood and inherit the power of the founding Titan you can control every Titan BUT you lose the desire to do so because you inherit the ideology of some ancient guy named Karl Fritz. K.

A lot of people complained about the pacing of S1, but it worked because the payoff was always really good. Just think of all the memorable moments in S1. The Armored Titan and Colossal attacking. Eren getting eaten. Eren saving Mikasa. The first battle with Eren as a Titan. Levi squad vs Annie. Plugging the hole with a rock.  Eren vs Annie in the forest. Levi vs Annie. Annie transforming into a Titan in the middle of the city. The final fight with Annie. S2 and S3 aren't anywhere near the same level as that.

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Kids love the Batman, no matter what form he takes.

The reaction to Beware the Batman makes me think otherwise.

Like... wow, that actually aired on Toonami. It seems weird to consider, if only because it's been so long.

12 minutes ago, Blatch said:

The reaction to Beware the Batman makes me think otherwise.

Like... wow, that actually aired on Toonami. It seems weird to consider, if only because it's been so long.

Yeah, but that was Batman with Z list villains, right after the success of Brave and the Bold.  No one gave a crap about Magpie and Anarky when they wanted Catwoman and the Joker.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Yeah, but that was Batman with Z list villains, right after the success of Brave and the Bold.  No one gave a crap about Magpie and Anarky when they wanted Catwoman and the Joker.

You can make any batman better by dubbing Kevin Conroy in. 

• Like 1

i still think the eventual plan is to give Toonami all of saturday. regardless of what replaces Apollo Gauntlet, they're never dedicated to completing runs of originals. one thing that may happen is they don't air Coffins and Cradles again and instead of airing the next Home Movies episode they could air The Venture Bros. 710 at 5:30 on the 15th. actually, i wouldn't be surprised if they just air the first two episodes of The Shivering Truth at 4:30 on the 15th instead of starting another rerun after Apollo.

December 22nd could very well be a marathon of FLCL, FLCL Progressive, and FLCL Alternative. FLCLimax only aired in a 45 minute slot once before this year. they don't need the extra commercial break.

December 29th should be a Super marathon. That can go until 6 am too.

6 am has actually been hinted at, and there really isn't a better opportunity to do it.

all that said, my predictions are usually wrong. this makes sense to me though.

• Raptorpat locked and unpinned this topic