UnevenEdge

Toonami Ratings Thread 2.0

11 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

I swear, it's pessimist posts like this that make me wish I could n-wait a hot minute Soul Train really ran until 2006?

Technically until 2008, but 2006 is when they closed up the studio and just aired reruns (the creatively titled The Best of Soul Train).  The train was decommissioned in 2008 for good and the show was cancelled.  

And you gotta give that to Toonami.  They could very easily just play nothing but old crap from back in the day and look back fondly on when Toonami was where you went for new anime, same as Soul Train for new tracks from soul, funk, R&B and the like.  But they’re pushing forward regardless.

Edited by Jman

We got Mob Psycho 100 recently, Megalobox premieres this weekend, and they have that Blade Runner show scheduled for next year. You can't say Toonami isn't trying. Heck, it's too early to gauge the full impact of the Crunchyroll partnership yet. I have a theory that they're going to premiere The Rising of the Shield Hero in January, solely because CR has been promoting that show to a huge degree.

• Like 4

Ya got MHA and Mob late in the game though. Megalobox is a nice addition but sports anime are still very niche.

They're trying to right the ship but they really savaged their brand with years of pretty bad decisions. Not getting Franxx was one of the better decisions they've made lately.

11 hours ago, elfie said:

Here's my issue with this.  You CAN'T predict when Toonami will die, or what will cause it anymore. 5 years ago we thought these kinds of ratings would kill it, but it's still around. 

We have a few people who blindly ignore DeMarco saying that the ratings are fine in order go and bitch. At this point, I roll with it and hope it takes us to meaningful conversation.

Imma bring up the Shield Hero show again, if nobody minds. Crunchyroll has been promoting this show to an extent I don't think I've ever seen. Heck, look at this article they recently put it out. It rehashes a previous interview with the show's producer, but doles out praise that almost borders on hyperbole on it. Like, it manages to make the article saying how Black Clover is the best shonen anime adaption ever look sincere.

The fact that it's another isekai show makes it more likely to air on Toonami, at least in my opinion, as they haven't really dabbled in the genre outside of SAO, and that was less  isekai and more of an embryonic form of the genre. Additionally, it's in the vein of Re:Zero and KonoSuba! in that the hero isn't an overpowered MC bitch, although I'm sure he'll eventually become OP in some way over the course of the show and get all the girls, because that is a pretty rigid rule of the genre. What matters is that he doesn't start as a Gary Stu.

But no matter what, most people interested in this show must think they're selling it too hard. If it ends up on Toonami early next year, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I've heard CR (and not explicitly Funi) was in the process of dubbing it months ago. ^_^

• Like 1

I bought up Soul Train because it and Toonami, surprisingly enough do feel like they have a lot in common.  Both were the premiere source of a niche medium at one point but were cast aside because new ways of getting the medium appeared (Yo! MTV Raps, Rap Attack, compared to Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll) and the biases of the man in charge (Soul Train’s executive producer and host Don Cornelius told Ice Cube straight to his face on national TV he didn’t like hip hop or understand why anyone else did, which led a lot of rap artists to tell Don to go shove an Afro pick up his ass).  But like I said, at least Toonami is moving forward.

It’s interesting to see what’s happened in the past and if those mistakes are being repeated.

41 minutes ago, Blatch said:

We have a few people who blindly ignore DeMarco saying that the ratings are fine in order go and bitch. At this point, I roll with it and hope it takes us to meaningful conversation.

Imma bring up the Shield Hero show again, if nobody minds. Crunchyroll has been promoting this show to an extent I don't think I've ever seen. Heck, look at this article they recently put it out. It rehashes a previous interview with the show's producer, but doles out praise that almost borders on hyperbole on it. Like, it manages to make the article saying how Black Clover is the best shonen anime adaption ever look sincere.

The fact that it's another isekai show makes it more likely to air on Toonami, at least in my opinion, as they haven't really dabbled in the genre outside of SAO, and that was less  isekai and more of an embryonic form of the genre. Additionally, it's in the vein of Re:Zero and KonoSuba! in that the hero isn't an overpowered MC bitch, although I'm sure he'll eventually become OP in some way over the course of the show and get all the girls, because that is a pretty rigid rule of the genre. What matters is that he doesn't start as a Gary Stu.

But no matter what, most people interested in this show must think they're selling it too hard. If it ends up on Toonami early next year, I wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I've heard CR (and not explicitly Funi) was in the process of dubbing it months ago. ^_^

I feel like calling this disingenuous is putting it mildly.

Toonami hasn’t aired too many isekai besides SAO, and there’s probably a good reason for that.  I figured if Knights and Magic didn’t air most of these other shows didn’t have a chance.

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Shield Hero looks like every other fantasy anime to me.  It may just be a case of watching it for myself though.  I mean I am following that Slime isekai anime because its protagonist is clearly different from any before, but he's OP as hell to the point where I'm questioning how slimes in that world just didn't up and take over the entire universe by this point. But choosing a very different fantasy anime from SAO might bring in slightly higher ratings.

The guy who wrote that article about BC being "the best anime ever" wrote a follow-up article highlighting how it wasn't due to company influence, and that he really does personally believe it.  Different strokes, but I prefer he didn't write it in that way.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

I just closed my Excel Spreadsheet, and then THIS happened--go figure:

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-alabama-georgia-sec-championship-on-cbs-is-the-most-watched-college-football-regular-season-telecast-in-seven-years/

12/1/18 - Total Viewers
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 470,000  
MHA 396,000 84.26%
Shippuden 391,000 98.74%
Boruto 363,000 92.84%
DBS 558,000 153.72%
MP100 391,000 70.07%
AOTS3 360,000 92.07%
JoJo4 334,000 92.78%
B. Clover 358,000 107.19%
H×H 338,000 94.41%
FLCL3 304,000 89.94%
PTE 263,000 86.51%
Lupin 248,000 94.30%
Jack 229,000 92.34%
AVERAGE 357,357 41st of 48

12/1/18 - Adults 18-49
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 206,000  
MHA 174,000 84.47%
Shippuden 195,000 112.07%
Boruto 192,000 98.46%
DBS 343,000 178.65%
MP100 223,000 65.01%
AOTS3 208,000 93.27%
JoJo4 198,000 95.19%
B. Clover 228,000 115.15%
H×H 213,000 93.42%
FLCL3 197,000 92.49%
PTE 166,000 84.26%
Lupin 155,000 93.37%
Jack 145,000 93.55%
AVERAGE 203,071 42nd of 48

Hey, not too shabby! 11 out of 14 shows were over 300K total viewers and 190K adults 18-49. Also, Black Clover is just begging to be on earlier. It should be leading-in to Super at 10 PM, while the Naruto hour moves to 11 and 11:30. But I don't expect this to actually happen until next year.

BTW, if we have the regular lineup on December 22, then we get Season 2 of Black Clover to kick off 2019 Toonami--IF we get Season 2, since FUNimation DID just announce a new exclusive first look deal with Hulu. But I've gotta believe that applies to NEW series and franchises, not series and franchises currently airing on Toonami.

Next page repost, part 1

3 hours ago, Jman said:

...and the biases of the man in charge (Soul Train’s executive producer and host Don Cornelius told Ice Cube straight to his face on national TV he didn’t like hip hop or understand why anyone else did, which led a lot of rap artists to tell Don to go shove an Afro pick up his ass).

xD That sounds hilarious.

If there's one thing that's holding Toonami back, it's Demarco treating the block like it's his MAL profile.

Edited by PokeNirvash
C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:21 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

Sadly, it seems the 8 PM Gumball beat everything on Adult Swim that night in total viewers and households:

Pre-Toonami CN
Amazing World of Gumball (repeat) (TOON, 8:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.620 million viewers (#49) • 0.35 HH (#53) • 0.18 A18-49 (#31) • 0.16 A18-34 (#23) • 0.19 A25-54 (#51)
Amazing World of Gumball (repeat) (TOON, 8:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.498 million viewers (#61) • 0.31 HH (#58) • 0.14 A18-49 (#64) • 0.13 A18-34 (#38) • 0.15 A25-54 (#71)

Prime Time Toonami
Dragon Ball Z Kai (repeat) (ADSM, 9:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.470 million viewers (#66) • 0.30 HH (#64) • 0.16 A18-49 (#47) • 0.15 A18-34 (#30) • 0.16 A25-54 (#64)
My Hero Academia (repeat) (ADSM, 9:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.396 million viewers (#81) • 0.26 HH (#77) • 0.13 A18-49 (#71) • 0.12 A18-34 (#43) • 0.12 A25-54 (#86)
Naruto: Shippuden (repeat) (ADSM, 10:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.391 million viewers (#82) • 0.25 HH (#82) • 0.15 A18-49 (#58) • 0.15 A18-34 (#30) • 0.14 A25-54 (#75)
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations (ADSM, 10:30 PM, 30 min.) • 0.363 million viewers (#86) • 0.24 HH (#84) • 0.15 A18-49 (#58) • 0.16 A18-34 (#23) • 0.14 A25-54 (#75)

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-alabama-georgia-sec-championship-on-cbs-is-the-most-watched-college-football-regular-season-telecast-in-seven-years/

Next page repost, part 2

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The funny thing is he's pretty much RIGHT now! Black Clover has evolved into something quite wonderful from what it started out as!

That's not to say EVERYONE will like it though.

But he's not right in that it's the best show period. For as long as My Hero Academia is still making new episodes, that'll be the default answer. The value in Black Clover is that it's a tolerable mid-tier shonen that some people like, but others don't, and there's nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Blatch said:

But he's not right in that it's the best show period. For as long as My Hero Academia is still making new episodes, that'll be the default answer. The value in Black Clover is that it's a tolerable mid-tier shonen that some people like, but others don't, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It was universally accepted that they completely screwed up the start of BC, and this clown goes on to say its the best Shonen adaptation ever? The screaming... the filler by episode 3... the slow pacing when the strength of the manga was that it was fast paced..... no one's going to take him seriously with stupid opinions like that. Given how hard they promote BC I'd be kind of shocked if he hadn't been paid to give it a glowing over the top review.

Why would you believe DeMarco? How much warning did he give the first time Toonami was cancelled? That's not how business works, you don't go around saying "Guys things are looking really bad right now we might get cancelled in the next few months!." You lie and say "Everything's perfectly alright now ... we're fine. We're all fine here now. Thank you. How are you?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The original Toonami eventually weened down to two hours a week, with half of that becoming Naruto filler, before being cancelled. On the contrary, you don't expand all the way to seven hours and then abruptly get cancelled. If any time is lost, that'll be like sounding the alarm, but it'll take at least this before it gets kicked off the air.

• Like 1

Well folks, it finally happened. Dragon Ball Super under 500K...

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-12-8-2018.html

Final-Cable-2018-Dec-08.SAT_.png

But at least MegaloBox made the top 50, so "yay?"

Meanwhile, Mob just barely missed it at #51 with 272K and a 0.12 in Adults 18-49 and JoJo an embarrassingly bad #62 with 244K and a 0.11.

I'll be surprised if Black Clover cracked 300K at 1 AM, but it MIGHT have...

...oh look, we ALREADY have the rest of the picture for total viewers and Adults 18-49...

https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-army-navy-football-game-on-cbs-down-slightly-from-last-year-but-second-most-watched-edition-in-26-years/

12/8/18 - Total Viewers
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 462,000  
MHA 370,000 80.09%
Shippuden 342,000 92.43%
Boruto 366,000 107.02%
DBS 498,000 136.07%
MP100 272,000 54.62%
MegaloBox 310,000 113.97%
JoJo4 244,000 78.71%
B. Clover 229,000 93.85%
H×H 240,000 104.80%
AOTS3 267,000 111.25%
PTE 201,000 75.28%
Lupin 207,000 102.99%
Jack 222,000 107.25%
AVERAGE 302,143 48th of 49

12/8/18 - Adults 18-49
Show Viewers Retention
DBZ Kai 218,000  
MHA 176,000 80.73%
Shippuden 172,000 97.73%
Boruto 180,000 104.65%
DBS 271,000 150.56%
MP100 154,000 56.83%
MegaloBox 176,000 114.29%
JoJo4 138,000 78.41%
B. Clover 128,000 92.75%
H×H 138,000 107.81%
AOTS3 154,000 111.59%
PTE 113,000 73.38%
Lupin 122,000 107.96%
Jack 125,000 102.46%
AVERAGE 161,786 48th of 49

Nope. Unlike what has been the norm ever since it moved up to 1 AM, Black Clover actually DROPPED slightly. The 2nd-highest retainer in both counts was MegaloBox, behind only the traditional lynchpin Dragon Ball Super, which is less of a spike than normal this week, which led to the block's next-to-last place finish. The late-night bump was given by Hunter x Hunter and AOT's rerun of all things, as it actually got the highest ratings in the back half! Will that pattern continue?

This does NOT conclude this week's ratings report, as prime time 18-34s and 25-54 still remain shrouded in mystery, so I'll likely be back later tonight or tomorrow to wrap it up!

Edited by OwlChemist81

ESPN's Top Rank Boxing made #3 for the night and lasted for 203 minutes, which if you do the math, is 3 hours 23 minutes. Since it began at 9:12 PM, that means it ended 3 hours 23 minutes later, at 12:35 AM. While it DID have the mother of all lead-ins in the Heisman Trophy Presentation stacking the deck, it seems people would rather watch real boxing than MegaloBoxing.

BUT perhaps if Toonami breaks convention and creates a rerun promo for MegaloBox when it ends up in reruns at whatever timeslot it ends up in (probably 2 AM, but I'm just guessing here), then it MIGHT be worthwhile to pay a little extra to run it during boxing shows elsewhere on TV. That's not to say that it might not be beneficial on nights that TRB is shorter and doesn't go beyond 12 AM while MegaloBox is in premieres...

There is also the fact that TRB doesn't air every week that might play in MegaloBox's favor if they were to try this. How many fans of real boxing do you think might at least tune in out of curiosity if they knew there was a boxing anime show?

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Sad 1

I was wondering why the heck all the boxers, MMA fighters, and whoever else weren't going nuts over Megalobox. It would be such a great combination. Does this crossover appeal only apply to the popular shonen series? :|

The ratings suck either way, so I look forward to our expansion to 4:30 coming in a few weeks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I was wondering why the heck all the boxers, MMA fighters, and whoever else weren't going nuts over Megalobox. It would be such a great combination. Does this crossover appeal only apply to the popular shonen series? :|

The ratings suck either way, so I look forward to our expansion to 4:30 coming in a few weeks.

There was boxing and a UFC PPV on that night, coupled with the series having finished its run earlier in the year.

The continued decline of linear television for non-sports.

Edited by Jman

If Megalobox eventually gets a marathon, then advertising said marathon during a boxing event would probably be a wise thing.

Only problem is, I doubt there will be a marathon randomly in March, though I suppose they could do one for St. Patrick's Day weekend. Would that work?

December - 2
January - 4
February - 4
March - 2

Aye, that it would! Now if only there's NOT a major match on March 16th...

Edited by OwlChemist81

Remember, the only reason it wasn't last place was because the AOT marathon has set the bar almost impossibly low.

I'd say Megalobox did pretty well. Being a Dub premiere definitely helps.

Super being a never ending crapfest has probably started to hurt it finally. People will come back for the good stuff in... 2 months.

• Like 2

Dragon Ball Super (ADSM, Sat. 12/08/2018 11:00 PM, 30 min.) • 0.498 million viewers [#176] • 0.21 A18-49 [#104]

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-army-navy-football-game-on-cbs-down-slightly-from-last-year-but-second-most-watched-edition-in-26-years/

Ouch. Dragon Ball Super couldn't even make the Top 100 overall shows (new and repeats) in Adults 18-49. I blame the abomination that is Live PD. It actually aired its first weeknight live show tonight. It may someday be on A&E 7 Days a week. Boy, that channel is really devolving into the Live PD network.

I disagree with Live PD in principle; it really should be off-limits for it to even exist, just like for-profit prisons. Police who appear on Live PD are obviously encouraged to act even more uppity than they would be for entertainment value, and I have a problem with that because it's not justice. And don't get me wrong; I liked World's Dumbest Criminals, but that's because the focus was on the criminals doing really stupid things, not law enforcement officers just doing their jobs and possibly being biased by the fact that what they do is being seen for entertainment value, and people are sick in the head and love to watch a "good" beating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

What the hell!? This is TOTALLY the wrong time to do this! If anything, this should have been reversed: keep 10-4 against College Football; THEN expand to 9 PM in 2019!

Black Clover Season 2 premieres at...2 AM!? Hunter x Hunter is kind of a lame duck at this point so it doesn't really bother me that it's gonna be airing at 2:30 AM.

Personally, I'm a'ight with this schedule. I will most likely be at basketball games until 9 PM my time so I'll likely be home in time for DBS. I do feel like not finishing the Saiyan saga of DBZ Kai before it takes a break is a mistake though. Why couldn't it finish off 2018 to begin the Boruto marathon instead??

Crazy prediction: once AOT and PTE end, the all-night schedule returns, from 8 PM to 6 AM as the whole block repeats with Gundam IBO the only rerun at 12:30/5:30. I mean, if not, there go my hopes of a 9 PM TIE!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Confused 1

Whoa is Kai gone? 

So they went back to the old formula of screw everything else, Super comes first.

They broke up the horrible Ninja hour... that is a very good choice. That was the worst hour of programming on TV.

I have no interest in the final 7 shows so this lineup works out pretty good for me. 4 out of the first 5 are things I actually watch, then bam, done for the night.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Daos said:

Whoa is Kai gone? 

So they went back to the old formula of screw everything else, Super comes first.

They broke up the horrible Ninja hour... that is a very good choice. That was the worst hour of programming on TV.

I have no interest in the final 7 shows so this lineup works out pretty good for me. 4 out of the first 5 are things I actually watch, then bam, done for the night.

Now now, there IS a chance Kai and Jack remain on the air, at 9 PM and 9:30 PM respectively, and just leave Toonami. After all, there's no way an [as] original comedy would do better in those "garbage" timeslots, and the only sane thing to air at 10 PM is a double-shot of Family Guy.

I like this move and have no complaints regarding it. Toonami aired too early, and I couldn't be assed to watch stuff.

While some might call Shippuden being on so late unfair, I think it's fitting for a show that's gone long enough and that no one really cares about. In fact, I'd rather see them take it off entirely. HxH being on at 2:30 also fits its status.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Welp.

I saw this coming due to all the ratings, but I didnt think they would shave off TWO hours instead of ONE!

Wh---- ........ hold on.  Where's Kai?!  Oh my god they took the reruns off! :D:D:D  I never watched those anyway.

Also, holy shit they got rid of Naruto!! :D:D:D Even more reason to celebrate!

The only bad news is that I no longer have a full hour of stuff to do during the block, and HxH lasts until 3 AM, meaning I now have to stay up later.

8 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

What the hell!? This is TOTALLY the wrong time to do this! If anything, this should have been reversed: keep 10-4 against College Football; THEN expand to 9 PM in 2019!

Black Clover Season 2 premieres at...2 AM!? Hunter x Hunter is kind of a lame duck at this point so it doesn't really bother me that it's gonna be airing at 2:30 AM.

Personally, I'm a'ight with this schedule. I will most likely be at basketball games until 9 PM my time so I'll likely be home in time for DBS. I do feel like not finishing the Saiyan saga of DBZ Kai before it takes a break is a mistake though. Why couldn't it finish off 2018 to begin the Boruto marathon instead??

Crazy prediction: once AOT and PTE end, the all-night schedule returns, from 8 PM to 6 AM as the whole block repeats with Gundam IBO the only rerun at 12:30/5:30. I mean, if not, there go my hopes of a 9 PM TIE!

Hold on. Those are BC PREMIERES??? ... it's coming this soon!?

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Nope. Though this be "2015-lite", there's still plenty to look forward to, even if most shows end up an hour later. MHA and Shippuden did kind of get screwed though!

Indeed. That elongated block did seem like an experiment, and now the block more resembles how it was like a year ago.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:48 PM, Daos said:

They gotta try something, they just had their two worst weeks in the last month.

and what are they gonna do then if the ratings don't improve? make the block extra tiny?

when will these networks learn the nielsen system is an outdated format and none of us here at this message board are having our views counted

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

and what are they gonna do then if the ratings don't improve? make the block extra tiny?

when will these networks learn the nielsen system is an outdated format and none of us here at this message board are having our views counted

Depends on if they have anything they can show that will get better ratings.

Well, THIS is why we're losing Prime Time:

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-12-15-2018.html

Final-Cable-2018-Dec-15.SAT_.png

I'll admit, at first I thought I was looking at Thursday's ratings, because the top 5 were all from Thursday Night Football, but yes, looking at the chart title, these are indeed the ratings from "Saturday Dec 15, 2018"! 

It is somewhat surprising what the #2 Toonami cable original was, though all of them were in the 300K's and ranked in the 50's in terms of Cable Originals, though I say one of them should have been #50 since HBO cheated by getting (Cock)Blockers on there twice:

Rank Show 18-49 Rating Total Viewers
#51 JoJo 0.13 300,000
#52 MP 100 0.13 334,000
#55  MegaloBox  0.12 322,000
#57 Boruto 0.12 337,000

And THAT is why we are losing prime time next year.

My.

--GOD.

Those four football games scored three times as much ratings as any of the other Saturday programs!!! What the hell!! Is it 1995?!  And if it's shown on Saturday, why the hell do they still call it "Thursday"?? 

Welcome to the Football screen.  Hey I'm thinking of watching Toonami on my Football screen. I hear they got a great holiday discount on HD Football screens.

• Raptorpat locked and unpinned this topic