UnevenEdge

Isekai anime about war criminal gets cancelled and the director blames otaku

Jman

Not the guy who was directing this show. But yeah, Yamakan be crazy.

This is a pretty insane controversy in general, and I've never seen anything like it. Of course, another thing we don't see much of nowadays is racists getting reprimanded for their views. B|

The anime cast resigned en-masse after news came out of Twitter posts from MINE, the author of "[New Life+] Young Again in Another World" from the past 6 years:

"In addition to expressing controversial opinions, the tweets refer to China as "bug country," using kanji characters that may have the same pronunciation as the word "China" in Japanese. Additionally, @SonmiChina posted images of MINE's tweets from 2012-2014 that appear to contain anti-Korean sentiments and similar derogatory euphemisms for the country of South Korea."

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-06-01/new-life-young-again-in-another-world-anime-protagonist-novel-creator-cause-controversy/.132291

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-06-05/new-life-young-again-in-another-world-anime-cast-resigns-after-creator-apology-for-controversial-comments/.132504

And that's not taking into account the novel's main storyline:

"the original light novels center on a Japanese protagonist who killed more than 3,000 people with a Japanese sword in the Second Sino-Japanese War, a conflict between China and Japan that ran from 1937-1945 and became part of World War II. After living to the age of 94, and killing another 2,000 people through the course of his life, the character gets reborn as an 18-year-old man in another world."

But the funny thing is that the original director for [New Life+] is Keitaro Motonaga. Yamakan just has the notoriety of being a dingleberry, so of course he'd chime in because he has brought nothing of value to anime since the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only difference now is that his trademark long hair is starting to fade away with time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

The anime cast resigned en-masse after news came out of Twitter posts from MINE, the author of "[New Life+] Young Again in Another World" from the past 6 years:

"In addition to expressing controversial opinions, the tweets refer to China as "bug country," using kanji characters that may have the same pronunciation as the word "China" in Japanese. Additionally, @SonmiChina posted images of MINE's tweets from 2012-2014 that appear to contain anti-Korean sentiments and similar derogatory euphemisms for the country of South Korea."

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-06-01/new-life-young-again-in-another-world-anime-protagonist-novel-creator-cause-controversy/.132291

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-06-05/new-life-young-again-in-another-world-anime-cast-resigns-after-creator-apology-for-controversial-comments/.132504

And that's not taking into account the novel's main storyline:

"the original light novels center on a Japanese protagonist who killed more than 3,000 people with a Japanese sword in the Second Sino-Japanese War, a conflict between China and Japan that ran from 1937-1945 and became part of World War II. After living to the age of 94, and killing another 2,000 people through the course of his life, the character gets reborn as an 18-year-old man in another world."

But the funny thing is that the original director for [New Life+] is Keitaro Motonaga. Yamakan just has the notoriety of being a dingleberry, so of course he'd chime in because he has brought nothing of value to anime since the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya. The only difference now is that his trademark long hair is starting to fade away with time.

gee what a surprise that the author was racist against Koreans and Chinese (''>_>''), couldn't possibly have seen that coming

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

Not the guy who was directing this show. But yeah, Yamakan be crazy.

This is a pretty insane controversy in general, and I've never seen anything like it. Of course, another thing we don't see much of nowadays is racists getting reprimanded for their views. B|

I knew it was Yamakan before even clicking the link, too.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

I knew it was Yamakan before even clicking the link, too.

Yeah, he seems like a total dingbat.

Think about it.  People respect the medium and that’s why they called bullshit on this.

Yamakan sounds half insane when he talks.

" He publicly characterized Fullmetal Alchemist director Seiji Mizushima as "childishly emotional," lashed out at the cast of the Wake Up, Girls! cast members, and partially blamed idol Mayu Tomita for being violently attacked by a fan in March 2017. In 2016, he declared moe as 'fascist' and anime is 'dead'."

The last one in particular is my favorite.

*reads* OH COME ON THAT GUY AGAIN??!

Didn't he quit directing the first 4 episodes of Lucky Star because they weren't good (and resulted in the first 4 episodes feeling tonally different than the rest of the show), and also wholly created FRACTALE and said that he'd quit anime if it didn't do well (it didn't)!?

Really he needs to change his attitude!  This is nowhere near the first bit of blaming the fandom or the studio we worked with that's reached the headlines!

Edited by elfie

Isekai anime became over saturated. I like Isekai, but the industry is getting lazy with it. Half of the series I've seen the past year that claim to be Isekai are just slice of life. It's about as Isekai as someone moving from Osaka to Tokyo. There is so much Isekai, I would say that if Cowboy Bebop were to come out today they would brand it as one since the characters travel to different worlds.  The reason why Isekai has become abundant is that it's too damn easy to have a lazy story. It's even at the point where subversion Isekai anime are roughly half of the damn Isekai anime that are being released in the past few years. Oddly enough I'm kinda surprised that the space/future Isekai market hasn't been touched all that much. I assume it has to do with the expectations of them having Mecha, and if a mangaka can do mecha he's going to do mecha and not an Isekai mecha.  Fantasy settings can just brush most things away with it's magic and I guess girls with pointy ears are easier than trying to think of what an Alien girl should look like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I didn't make it through that series, but I didn't think it was an Isekai. The Isekai anime are someone being transported to a new world. Knights and Magic I think is just a Fantasy Mecha. 

Nah, it’s isekai.  A mecha otaku dies and is reborn as a kid in a fantasy world with mecha, which is what drives his actions.

Still better than Voltron.

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I didn't make it through that series, but I didn't think it was an Isekai. The Isekai anime are someone being transported to a new world. Knights and Magic I think is just a Fantasy Mecha. 

The pacing at the beginning of that series was way to fast but it got better once the MC started to design his own mech. Also as was stated before he was a mech nerd who was also a very skilled programmer and it turned out that magic in that world was just like programming so he was able to use that to his advantage and do things no one else could even think of. 

28 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

What is with you and Voltron? xD

It’s a dumpster fire of a mecha cartoon written by people that hate mecha, so it’s essentially my basement for quality in the genre.  Sort of like how folks go “X shounen is meh but it’s better than Black Clover.”

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 7:08 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

Yamakan sounds half insane when he talks.

" He publicly characterized Fullmetal Alchemist director Seiji Mizushima as "childishly emotional," lashed out at the cast of the Wake Up, Girls! cast members, and partially blamed idol Mayu Tomita for being violently attacked by a fan in March 2017. In 2016, he declared moe as 'fascist' and anime is 'dead'."

The last one in particular is my favorite.

Well, moe is pretty terrible.