UnevenEdge

some comedy, some horror, some slice of life, some sports anime, some magical girl stuff, some hard sci-fi...

korosu

Would be a great, different direction for the "mecha" show on the block to go in with only 4 episodes left of Gundam IBO.

That's not to say that I wouldn't mind a TV edit of Thunderbolt also showing up on the block while Franxx is still airing.

That or Twilight Axis; it's presented in 3-minute minisodes so you wouldn't even need to use a timeslot!

3 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

I've been saying there needs to be more variety for years. However, it would be much better to have Anime back on the weeknights like years ago except not so late at night, when most people are sleeping.

Bring back Adult Swim Anime but at earlier hours!

I would love to see anime on weeknights again.  While I don't think Toonami would actually go for it (DeMarco seems to prefer running Toonami on Saturday nights only), I'm confident in saying that if it we're to happen, now would be the most likely time for it.

I'm really glad to see that Toonami is willing to pick up something other than action shows.  Admittedly, it would be a bit odd for me at first to see something other than an action show on Toonami, but I think the time has come where Toonami has to evolve somewhat in order to survive.  Toonami is really the last place on basic cable where you can watch anime anymore, so I think it was inevitable that we would get to the point where Toonami would show things other than straight action.  I'm actually kind of excited to see what they pick up.

As long as nothing is live action.  I'd rather Toonami end than air anything live action.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CaptainStarwind said:

I would love to see anime on weeknights again.  While I don't think Toonami would actually go for it (DeMarco seems to prefer running Toonami on Saturday nights only), I'm confident in saying that if it we're to happen, now would be the most likely time for it.

I'm really glad to see that Toonami is willing to pick up something other than action shows.  Admittedly, it would be a bit odd for me at first to see something other than an action show on Toonami, but I think the time has come where Toonami has to evolve somewhat in order to survive.  Toonami is really the last place on basic cable where you can watch anime anymore, so I think it was inevitable that we would get to the point where Toonami would show things other than straight action.  I'm actually kind of excited to see what they pick up.

As long as nothing is live action.  I'd rather Toonami end than air anything live action.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Back 12 years ago, when Toonami was still on Cartoon Network, I saw actual YouTube clips of School Rumble being aired on Toonami in Europe.

I think it was Italy, that had their dub of School Rumble for the Toonami block. I was shocked, that they aired it on their Toonami and not here. Toonami in other countries always got the better shows. We always get the stereotypical Shonen Jump Action Anime.

Not that I hate Shonen, but it would be refreshing to see something different. Considering that other cable/satellite channels only started airing Anime to compete with Toonami and Adult Swim Anime years ago, this would be the right time to bring back more of it to TV.

I don't know about everyone else, but I would much rather watch shows on TV than online. The media players buffer too much, especially Crunchyroll's media players, since the time they became "legit" in 2009. I enjoy watching my shows without the screen buffering every second.

Speaking of other cable and satellite channels, El Rey Network will supposedly be airing Anime soon. I don't know when. I have been hunting around online for more news about it.

28 minutes ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Back 12 years ago, when Toonami was still on Cartoon Network, I saw actual YouTube clips of School Rumble being aired on Toonami in Europe.

I think it was Italy, that had their dub of School Rumble for the Toonami block. I was shocked, that they aired it on their Toonami and not here. Toonami in other countries always got the better shows. We always get the stereotypical Shonen Jump Action Anime.

Not that I hate Shonen, but it would be refreshing to see something different. Considering that other cable/satellite channels only started airing Anime to compete with Toonami and Adult Swim Anime years ago, this would be the right time to bring back more of it to TV.

I don't know about everyone else, but I would much rather watch shows on TV than online. The media players buffer too much, especially Crunchyroll's media players, since the time they became "legit" in 2009. I enjoy watching my shows without the screen buffering every second.

Speaking of other cable and satellite channels, El Rey Network will supposedly be airing Anime soon. I don't know when. I have been hunting around online for more news about it.

Personally, I don't mind watching anime (pretty much the only TV I watch other than ESPN anymore) either online or on TV, but I always enjoyed watching it on TV just a little bit more.  It feels like it's a bit more special to me that way, if that makes sense.  I'm also not a huge fan of being able to watch whole seasons of shows at once.  It works for some shows where the pacing drags (Shippuden being a good example), but it's completely unnecessary for most shows.

11 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Personally, I don't mind watching anime (pretty much the only TV I watch other than ESPN anymore) either online or on TV, but I always enjoyed watching it on TV just a little bit more.  It feels like it's a bit more special to me that way, if that makes sense.  I'm also not a huge fan of being able to watch whole seasons of shows at once.  It works for some shows where the pacing drags (Shippuden being a good example), but it's completely unnecessary for most shows.

When I had more time, I used to binge watch more shows. Then again, streaming sites like Crunchyroll and Hulu didn't require you to sign up to watch a single episode of something the way they do now.

That's besides needing to have access to your social media account to trackerstalk what you watch, while sitting through buffering commercials, that freeze before you can watch anything.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

When I had more time, I used to binge watch more shows. Then again, streaming sites like Crunchyroll and Hulu didn't require you to sign up to watch a single episode of something the way they do now.

That's besides needing to have access to your social media account to trackerstalk what you watch, while sitting through buffering commercials, that freeze before you can watch anything.

Most of the time the needing access to social media is optional, though they WILL hound you about it periodically until you do.

7 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Most of the time the needing access to social media is optional, though they WILL hound you about it periodically until you do.

With those streaming sites locking episodes to force people to sign up to watch shows, and constantly hounding us for our social media accounts to watch a single episode, while their media players buffer with commercials, it's pointless.

I have Standard Speed Internet. Trying to watch shows on Crunchyroll and Hulu is like trying to watch a video on friggin' Dial-Up. It's that bad on my end.xD

• Sad 1

Personally, I think Toonami could benefit from being a more well-rounded anime block. They're currently the only game in town for American TV, they have been for a while, and they'll probably be the only one left for as long as linear TV is a thing. I know they're not going to air stuff like straight slice-of-life or extreme fanservice shows, but it's good to open the horizons to action-adjacent shows of other genres, because what gets passed over is pretty much not going to air at all... anywhere. This is why I think Made in Abyss would be a great pick: It's got a little bit of everything, between action, horror, slow-burning drama, and even some lewd comedy by way of Reg's robot penis.

On the other hand, I honestly don't think Pop Team Epic could work, at least outside of [adult swim] proper. It would seem incomprehensible to the mainstream audience and likely be ratings poison. It's probably got a better chance of airing than Ninja Slayer, though. Remember when people were pushing for that show?

Edited by Blatch
Some pussyfooting.

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The buffering ads are already obnoxious to deal with on a constant basis. Nearly 2 weeks ago, I had to keep reloading my page to watch a show. Before I could do so, buffering ads popped up and froze the media player on Crunchyroll. I dealt with this for 2 days.

I was so sick of dealing with Crunchroll's media player, that I went to Viewster. It has the same show I was trying to watch on Crunchyroll and Viewster's media player is a lot like Crunchyroll's media player from 2006, which actually WORKS. I didn't have to deal with buffering commercials freezing up my screen or reloading it.

It's really the advertisements that tend to cause the most problems on Crunchyroll and Hulu.

I understand that commercials pay for the shows. Anytime their commercials hijack and freeze media players, which keeps viewers from watching something, that's a major problem.

It also doesn't help that Crunchyroll gets hacked and can't support the number of viewers trying to watch streams.

19 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Yeah reminds me of the Funimation channel becoming replaced by TOKU and airing assloads of horrible live action crap. Very depressing.

Made in Abyss would be an obvious yes, but I feel like it's one of those shows that Demarco is just unaware of despite being one of the top anime of the year.

Why can't we have at least one fanservice show? For a block that struggles with ratings why are we taking the puritanical approach here? Is Demarco a Mormon? That guy fucking the body of Seras's dead mom while she watches from a closet in Hellsing is ok but we're too high class for boobage??

Please no on the sports anime. Ping ping the animation is great but you're not going to get ratings showing that. US audiences aren't into sports anime.

Madoka is the obvious choice if they're getting magical girl stuff.

13 minutes ago, Jman said:

The only kind of sports anime that could work are combat sports, and barring someone making a Karate Minoru anime, that ain't happening.

other than Yowamushi Pedal and Yuri on Ice I don't even know of any current Sports animes available for Toonami to license tbh

Edited by mochi

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Yeah reminds me of the Funimation channel becoming replaced by TOKU and airing assloads of horrible live action crap. Very depressing.

Made in Abyss would be an obvious yes, but I feel like it's one of those shows that Demarco is just unaware of despite being one of the top anime of the year.

Why can't we have at least one fanservice show? For a block that struggles with ratings why are we taking the puritanical approach here? Is Demarco a Mormon? That guy fucking the body of Seras's dead mom while she watches from a closet in Hellsing is ok but we're too high class for boobage??

Please no on the sports anime. Ping ping the animation is great but you're not going to get ratings showing that. US audiences aren't into sports anime.

Madoka is the obvious choice if they're getting magical girl stuff.

Are you saying The Funimation Channel no longer exists? I never had it but when Colours TV existed 10 years ago, it aired The Funimation Entertainment block, during Primetime. The block ran until midnight, 7 days a week.

Meanwhile, Jason DeMarco contradicts himself too much. When he launched Toonami on Adult Swim in 2012, he claimed the block would air more shows with more adult themes because veteran Toonami viewers became adults. Supposedly he wanted to "grow up Toonami viewers." That's why it now airs on Adult Swim.

DeMarco also claimed the block wouldn't be airing the same shows, that aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami. This would be Shonen Jump Anime franchises such as Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Naruto.

Don't get me wrong. I still like watching Naruto (especially uncensored), but most of the shows currently airing are fanboy centric, Shonen Jump Anime with war and "anti-hero" themes.

Yes, you can argue that war themes are mature, which they are. At the same time, when the protagonist and most of the main characters are prepubescent, it can actually cheapen the content on Adult Swim, in some way.

Personally speaking, I don't always want to look at some male protagonist, that is 9-15 years old trying to be the boss of his country or village, or be cold, indifferent, oblivious, and possibly misogynistic towards the opposite sex.

Why does Jason DeMarco have to air shows, that mostly appease fanboys when there are men AND women watching the block and would like to see more variety?

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

Yeah Funimation had a dispute with Olympusat which ran the channel. So it's currently TOKU, which airs garbage from Media Blasters and a bunch of awful live action stuff instead of Funimation shows. The rumor was that Funimation was going to launch another channel but they probably didn't see the need with how popular watching online is now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toku_(TV_network)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I was devastated since I was one of the customers that had to see my service drop Funimation in 2012, but looking back, a small studio trying to run a linear cable channel on their own is laughable now.

At any rate, on topic, Toonami's twitter just today posted a poll on what "new" genres people would like to see on the block.

Edited by elfie

Horror, (physical) comedy, and sports are all close cousins to action. Slice of life is usually a plot engine that sets up for the action in current Toonami shows.

Of the three, I would say horror is closest to action, though sometimes it's done without much action and more with suspense, as is the case with shows like Death Parade and Terror in Resonance.

There really isn't a lot of good horror anime and if they try sports anime they are going to choke on some low ratings. I wouldn't mind Blood C just for the shock value.

Slice of life stuff could work maybe, I'd love to see Toradora or The Pet girl of Sakurasou air on Toonami. 

Non typical Toonami stuff like Stein's Gate, Is this a Zombie, Amagi Brilliant Park, The World God Only Knows, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Haganai, or say...  Konosuba would be nice.

• Like 2

Well you can make that argument against any non action anime that they could try on Toonami.

But right now they're choking on low ratings in general. If any of them can do better in the Key Demos than BC's 72 percent then that's good enough.

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Horror, (physical) comedy, and sports are all close cousins to action. Slice of life is usually a plot engine that sets up for the action in current Toonami shows.

Of the three, I would say horror is closest to action, though sometimes it's done without much action and more with suspense, as is the case with shows like Death Parade and Terror in Resonance.

My theory is that by the end of the poll, horror would win. Despite me voting for Comedy, which I feel would be a close second.

17 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Meanwhile, Jason DeMarco contradicts himself too much. When he launched Toonami on Adult Swim in 2012, he claimed the block would air more shows with more adult themes because veteran Toonami viewers became adults. Supposedly he wanted to "grow up Toonami viewers." That's why it now airs on Adult Swim.

DeMarco also claimed the block wouldn't be airing the same shows, that aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami. This would be Shonen Jump Anime franchises such as Dragon Ball, One Piece, and Naruto.

Don't get me wrong. I still like watching Naruto (especially uncensored), but most of the shows currently airing are fanboy centric, Shonen Jump Anime with war and "anti-hero" themes.

Yes, you can argue that war themes are mature, which they are. At the same time, when the protagonist and most of the main characters are prepubescent, it can actually cheapen the content on Adult Swim, in some way.

Personally speaking, I don't always want to look at some male protagonist, that is 9-15 years old trying to be the boss of his country or village, or be cold, indifferent, oblivious, and possibly misogynistic towards the opposite sex.

Why does Jason DeMarco have to air shows, that mostly appease fanboys when there are men AND women watching the block and would like to see more variety?

I've a theory about this.  When Toonami first relaunched, I think DeMarco did make an effort to find and air shows different from what Toonami used to air.  Deadman Wonderland was definitely more violent and gory than anything Toonami had aired before.  Casshern Sins, for all that people found wrong with it, was still a very depressing show, one that would not have found it's way onto Toonami or even ASA in the past.  Samurai 7 was definitely lighter in tone, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a shonen.  Eureka Seven was (barring the ASA leftovers) the first show on the revived Toonami that you could accurately call a shonen, and even then, it doesn't follow a typical shonen formula.  This seems to indicate that DeMarco's initial intent was on keeping his promise that the new Toonami would air more mature shows, different from the ones that aired on the Toonami of the past.

The only problem with this was the ratings.  I'm sure that everyone can remember that the initial ratings of the revived Toonami weren't the greatest.  Better than the remnants of ASA, for sure, but not by much.  I can't really say for certain what happened, but this is my theory: Since the ratings for the block didn't show much of an increase over the autopilot ASA ratings, DeMarco and crew were struggling for a justification to keep doing the block.  Initial viewer enthusiasm would have worn off by mid summer, so the block would have settled into normal viewer ratings by August, I think.  They can say all they want about how "they did the block as a bonus to their regular duties" and how they "weren't being paid for it", but if the ratings for the block got too low, Adult Swim almost certainly would have pulled all the anime for comedy; they may hold some goodwill towards anime fans, but they're, at the end of the day, a business.  DeMarco and crew had to find some way to increase ratings.  First, they got rid of the rerun block.  Even if the last three hours of the block were just three hour long blocks of reruns, at least they weren't reruns of show that aired that night.  I think DeMarco knew that would help slightly, but not much in the long run.

So, he turned to shonen.  Despite his initial statement that Toonami would air more mature shows, the fact of the matter is that shonen is higher rated than other anime.  While the block already had a shonen (Bleach), ratings tended not to hold well after the first show after the shonen.  Add to that the fact that Bleach was going on hiatus for two months (which they certainly had to know about beforehand), and Toonami had a ratings crisis.  They needed another shonen for the block if it was to survive. 

If they had the option, they would have went for DBZ Kai.  I'm certain of it.  Nicktoons had that at the time, though, so anything Dragon Ball related was off the table.  So, they went for Naruto.  It was less expensive than Shippuden, and they probably figured they could get people to watch using the nostalgia factor.  I'm willing to bet they picked up Tenchi GXP with the same reasoning.  While Tenchi wasn't exactly successful, Naruto was...

After that Toonami focused on picking up shonens to bolster the ratings.  Soul Eater, One Piece, IGPX, SAO, Shippuden, and AoT are all proof to this.  When Toonami finally got the point where they could try more mature shows again (Black Lagoon, Hellsing), their mismanagement of the block led to it being cut in half for 2015.  With the reduced block that was left, they figured that they'd rather get the best ratings for it possible, rather than keeping to their promise of airing more mature shows.  We still got mature shows in the succeeding years, but they all tended to be more optimistic than the shows we got in the past.  It wasn't really until Tokyo Ghoul that we got another really dark show, and we all know how well that went over on here.

But in the years since 2015, online and streaming have largely been supplanting cable as the primary method for watching TV.  Ratings for TV shows are down across the board, and Toonami is no exception.  They've gotten to the point where even shonens can't keep the ratings up anymore.  So they decided to "shake things up" by airing things other than shonens.  

That's my theory.  I apologize for the wall of text but I can get wordy when I really get into something.

TL;DR: 2012 ratings forced Toonami to abandon it's promise to air more mature shows.  When they tried to do it in 2014 the block got cut and they aired more shonens to keep the ratings up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Also keep in mind that if they air Re Zero and it becomes a hit, they have a hit for 24 episodes. OPM only lasted 12.

If they air Inuyasha and it becomes a hit, they have for like.. 250 episodes.

It's got to be easier on them to air long running Shonen, financially and in terms of how much effort would go into trying to negotiate to pick up the newest hottest shows every year. Shonen will probably always be the backbone of Toonami. It's a shame though, I don't like most long running Shonen and in general they rely on filler and dragging things out in addition to generally poor animation 95 percent of the time.

The question is... if they just want ratings.... why no fanservice shows?

Tokyo Ghoul didn't go over well? Whatttttt??? I heard it was a fine anime with lots and lots of characters.

If I had to put SAO in a genre I would slap it into the Isekai bin. You can make arguments that it's Shonen or even Shojo though.

Most fan service shows don't actually go full nip =P

DxD, Highschool of the Dead, and Freezing excluded of course.

Most fan service shows tend to be more like Date a Live and Heaven's Lost Property.

Like I said before, if you can show this... you can show just about anything

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

And now will probably be the third time they try airing more mature stuff, right?

It wouldn't surprised me if they tried again.  But with the way things are turning out it won't be just mature action shows they'll be looking at: horror and even thriller will be on the table.

Which brings me to another theory: Toonami will try to air Death Note again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

So, he turned to shonen.  Despite his initial statement that Toonami would air more mature shows, the fact of the matter is that shonen is higher rated than other anime.  While the block already had a shonen (Bleach), ratings tended not to hold well after the first show after the shonen.  Add to that the fact that Bleach was going on hiatus for two months (which they certainly had to know about beforehand), and Toonami had a ratings crisis.  They needed another shonen for the block if it was to survive.

I believe the main reason Toonami still exists is because it mostly panders to fanboys still clinging to their childhood nostalgia from the late '90s.

When the block was launched on Adult Swim, fans spent most of their time throwing tantrums about not having the Dragon Ball, Naruto, and One Piece franchises.

It seems like the ratings are only high for certain Shonen Jump Action Anime because Jason DeMarco spends most of his time catering to them. If It's not Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, etc, they don't want to watch it.

They don't seem to like much of any Seinen Anime with ADULT characters. They would rather watch a more juvenile series with juvenile characters.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl