UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

16 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Also, since Toonami HAS now played anime in Japanese with English subtitles, wonder if they would dare to play the dub of GGOA back-to-back with world premiere subtitled SAO3 in a late-night timeslot?

It makes more sense to play the dub of something that you've already aired that way for two seasons. This is a hard no. B|

We're not going to get GGO Alternative's dub, if Toonami even wants to air it, for a couple of months after the show ends. In fact, it could on Crunchyroll, since they recently added the dub of SAO II and have also exclusively streamed Aniplex shows like Granblue Fantasy in English.

One of the highlights from that is 

"One of the key selling points of Black Clover tends to be the short, concise story arcs. Yuki Tabata wastes no time throwing the ragtag Black Bulls through a number of trials and tribulations, while expanding on a world still so shrouded in mystery."

A world shrouded in mystery is the nicest way I've ever seen of saying "lack of world building." And remember filler is bonus content.

On another note do we still have no idea what the "confusing" anime is that Toonami is getting? I'm dying to know what they consider confusing because in a way... aren't 90 percent of anime a little confusing?

Edited by Daos

It's probably "confusing" in that it wouldn't be something Toonami would normally air. Remember, the lack of good action anime (in his eyes) and long-running shonen (that he wants) are the reasons Demarco is even branching out to begin with.

• Like 1

Dragon Ball Super's impressive run in the Live+3 Top 25 came to an end...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-3-ratings-for-april-16-22-2018/

...and it stayed off the Top 25 last week as well...

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr-ratings/cable-live-3-ratings-for-april-23-29-2018/

...but hopefully being fueled by MHA this week, it will make its return! 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 3:40 PM, Ginguy said:

So bear in mind I do like BC....

What manner of crack-smoking jackassery did I just read?

Black Clover = Bleach??

Well, depends on if it runs for more than 51 episodes. Right now, it's more like Soul Eater, at least in terms of length.

If we're including My Hero Academia as one of the "new big 3," really, there's only one show still continuing serially that comes close: AOT.

7 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Black Clover = Bleach??

Well, depends on if it runs for more than 51 episodes. Right now, it's more like Soul Eater, at least in terms of length.

If we're including My Hero Academia as one of the "new big 3," really, there's only one show still continuing serially that comes close: AOT.

Well just don't effin listen to Crunchyroll for what the Big 3 is.

• Like 1

First look at ratings is in courtesy of ShowBuzzDaily, and My Hero Academia didn't really make that much of a difference--or DID it?? We STILL don't know how well My Hero Academia did since for some bizarre reason it got listed as a rerun, apparently, but so did Black Clover. That leaves only 3 shows that we know the ratings for...Final Cable 2018 May 05.SAT

...and since it IS just 3 shows, I won't even bother doing my usual graphs, but both the Dragon Balls WERE up in all demographics, and markedly so in the case of Kai, though not necessarily so in terms of retention. It's almost as if viewers were waiting around for something... Meanwhile JoJo improved on the 12:30 slot's Gundam IBO last week, as well as on itself at midnight last week in both of the main target demographics.

• Like 1

This .... they been really screwy recently with what they consider to be premieres.

I--- you know what I think it was?  The first ever American Dragonball-themed con was this past weekend AND it took place just a short drive from the Funimation headquarters, so again it is the magical DBZ plug tied to a massive anime event that got a ton of people to think "hmmmm.  May as well WATCH dis shit."  *shrug*  I was also worried due to there being an NBA game, AND Stormy Daniels and Danny Glover guest-starring on SNL!

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

What are you talking about, 88 percent for the slot of death is insanely good.

I'm not sure any show has done better airing behind the DBZ power hour. Most shows are low 80's and frequently dip into the 70's.

FLCL did 80. Jojo did 82. 84 for Kai.

So out of the first 3 shows airing after Super, MHA had the best retention. And that's the area where you lose a shitload of viewers if you don't have a super popular show.

• Like 1

The only show that's done considerably well airing after DBZ is One-Punch Man, to the point where it outrated the O.G. Kai on several occasions. It seems all you really need is anything with superheroes. B|

But also keep in mind... OPM was airing second after Kai, not third after the Dragonball hour of Death. 

I actually thought MHA would be closer to 80 since so many people have gotten used to tuning out after the DB hour.

Y'all missed the big elephant in the room:

Family Guy (R) (ADSM, Sat. 5/05/18 10:00 PM, 30 min.)
– 1.079 million viewers (#35)
– 0.602 million adults 18-49 (0.47 A18-49 rating) (#8)

Dragon Ball Super (ADSM, Sat. 5/05/18 10:30 PM, 30 min.)
– 0.958 million viewers (#64)
– 0.611 million adults 18-49 (0.47 A18-49 rating) (#7)

DBS dropped markedly from Family Guy in total viewers, but edged it out in adults 18-49 by 9K.

Last week's block averaged 517K, placing it 12th out of 18 weeks so far this year. In Adults 18-49, it scored a 326K, placing it 9th out of 18 weeks so far this year. That's below average in total viewers, but just barely above average in Adults 18-49! Guess that's the "My Hero Academia" effect!

I just had a weird dream that I was on this board, and they picked Gundam Unicorn (of all things) to replace Ghost In The Shell at 3:30 AM. Sounds weird, but it kinda makes sense if you think about it. It would allow them the chance to keep Gundam on the block without committing to a new show, and with its next chapter Gundam Narrative coming in Japan this fall, it would be a fine refresher of these characters. But again, it was only a dream. It will be interesting to see what they do for the Memorial Day weekend, and for that slot on June 2nd.

[probably just more Ghost]

Edited by OwlChemist81

It's funny hearing this guy mouth off about Toonami shows which are essentially lame-duck shows while complaining about traffic; maybe road rage combined with fan rage isn't a great idea???

Kai IS going. It's got less than 2 months left. It might end up somewhere else on the schedule in reruns, but its weeks are numbered to fewer than the number of fingers on both hands. And as for FLCL's midnight rerun, well, that's got only 2 episodes left, unless you count the Memorial Day dual marathon. Running it at 11:30 was a huge mistake, but it is what it is at this point. And realistically JoJo:SC wasn't doing great at midnight anyway.

I'm confident Toonami will do this right. The new show will likely come in at 11:30 next month to replace Kai, and of course after that will be all-new WORLD PREMIERE FLCL. MHA is already getting the ratings up slightly for sweeps season, and will either do better behind Super once Kai ends, or will stay at 11:30 to support whatever the new show is at 11. I believe they have a plan for Toonami to be more successful here. MHA and FLCL 2/3 are great but they're only the beginning...

FINALLY, interesting that he name-dropped Big O. Is that really what's replacing GITS? I hope if so it's with Season 1...

Actually, I think I've figured out what might be replacing Ghost in the Shell at 3:30 AM. Hang on to your hats, cuz it's a real doozy...

A same-night replay of the Fooly Cooly episode that will have played at Midnight earlier that night. Think about it. Samurai Jack didn't get a same-night replay, but it DID get a Wednesday replay, since it's an AMERICAN show. Fooly Cooly, on the other hand, is Japanese, so I just don't see Japanimation stuff invading weeknights anytime soon (though they ARE replaying Ballmastrz: 9009 at 1 AM on weeknights currently...), so a more likely plan is for it to just have its replay at the end of the Toonami block.

But I'd rather see that than a replay in the 12 AM timeslot in July. I really HOPE that slot gets AOT S3 or something fresh!

Edited by OwlChemist81

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I'm confident Toonami will do this right. The new show will likely come in at 11:30 next month to replace Kai, and of course after that will be all-new WORLD PREMIERE FLCL. MHA is already getting the ratings up slightly for sweeps season, and will either do better behind Super once Kai ends, or will stay at 11:30 to support whatever the new show is at 11. I believe they have a plan for Toonami to be more successful here. MHA and FLCL 2/3 are great but they're only the beginning...

FINALLY, interesting that he name-dropped Big O. Is that really what's replacing GITS? I hope if so it's with Season 1...

I have no idea if sweeps have ever mattered for cable television. For that matter, they've become much less relevant on the major networks in the last few years. Are you continuing to say this just to annoy me? ;)

• Haha 1

I've figured out what the confusing show is... it's... Detective Conan! All 900 episodes!

At a rate of about 50 episodes a year that would only take us... 18 years to watch!

We can all enjoy it together on Toonami until 2036.

K apparently Comcast dropped a ton of networks including Cartoon Network from one of their basic cable packages and you'd need to spend more to keep getting them.  Which is crap for their customers who will now probably use alternatives like sling.tv.  Because they never got rid of them entirely, Comcast appears to think it's win win for themselves because they earn more. These are all the paths cable companies are doing, and it's just more reason why ratings are getting worse and more people are dropping cable.

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Spectrum a best. :ph34r:

They pulled that crap in 2016, and my bill got so high I just had to switch to DirecTV. My cable/internet/phone was over $200 a month; now it's down to $144, and that includes HBO.

I WOULD switch to Sling but I'm stuck with DirecTV until March 2019, and a Saturday night socialite like me NEEDS DVR for the earlier Toonami shows--does it have that??

• Sad 1

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic