UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

Clearly the problem is either the 11:30 Super being a rerun, or Super being aired to begin with.

Yeah, the fact that the 11:30 Super is a rerun of the 8 PM premiere hurts it a little bit, especially because lately the 8 PM premiere hasn't done much better than its predecessor DBZ Kai encores in previous years. I think things would be better all-around if they were switched, and the opportunity to do that might be coming up. Perhaps they air a "goofed-up" premiere episode of Super at 8 PM on April Fool's Day, then the REAL thing at 11:30 during Toonami? Finally, we could see a normal encore of that on April 8th, so that going forward 8 PM is once again an encore instead of a premiere.

I wonder if they can go to TOEI and see if its possible to switch. If AS thinks it's hurting potential, then maybe they can renogotiate with the next "season". TOEI was still under the impression that children are the primary audience over here.  If they don't sell as many toys to kids when the line launches maybe they'll consider it.

Unfortunately, I know kids who watch it and they don't even watch it on TV, they watch it on KA, even the dub

If there's some kind of a clause in the contract that the premiere has to be at 8 PM, I don't understand it, except that presumably parents could show kids DVR-ed episodes from Toonami, rendering an 8 PM encore useless. There's less risk of that with the premiere itself at 8 PM. The simple fix would of course be airing toy ads during the 11:30 PM airing too, but it's unclear that [as] would go for that except under completely bizarre circumstances like how Ben 10 toy ads showed up during Eureka 7!

If there's some kind of a clause in the contract that the premiere has to be at 8 PM, I don't understand it, except that presumably parents could show kids DVR-ed episodes from Toonami, rendering an 8 PM encore useless. There's less risk of that with the premiere itself at 8 PM. The simple fix would of course be airing toy ads during the 11:30 PM airing too, but it's unclear that [as] would go for that except under completely bizarre circumstances like how Ben 10 toy ads showed up during Eureka 7!

What I find bizarre as well is that, if TOEI wants the 8pm airing there for kids to watch, then why is it uncensored? I've heard some mild cursing in the show, Mr.Satan, ect... . I think it came down to just this being the compromise they made in order to air the show. Who knows if other networks were even interested though. TOEI has a toy line to sell that is supposedly launching this summer so they want the show accessible to kids. I'm actually surprised they didn't demand that it premiere at 8pm on a weeknight, which would really make the Toonami airing pointless unless it was part of a new Toonami block. But due to what I stated above, its still not a kid censored version of the show and it is still part of "Adult Swim". They basically are counting on kids leaving the TV on past the CN sign off and watching.

I'm not sure that the younger kids that TOEI is hoping will buy toys is even there. I think more adults will be buying DB toys  : ). If the toyline doesn't sell, then it's possible that they may do a few things:

1) Start showing the censored version of DB Super on another kid channel or syndication if someone wants it.

2) Maybe accept the possibility that DB's primary audience in the US is young adults and teens and just let Toonami run it late at night.

Jack didn't go down by much though. 1,300,000 is still amazing!

I think there's a discerning problem we've touched upon: Japanese studios think the shows Toonami airs are for kids, failing to grasp how it's on a block catering to the OLDER crowd. Indeed, for the longest time, Toonami has aired many shows that were originally considered for kids, which adds to some complex problems with ratings and audience targeting. 

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-3-18-2017.html

What we know so far:

TOTAL VIEWERS:

11:00 PM Samurai Jack 1,300,000

12:00 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 973,000 (74.85%)*

12:30 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 790,000 (81.19%)

1:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 679,000 (85.95%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 660,000 (97.20%)

2:00 AM Naruto: Shippuden 656,000 (99.39%)

2:30 AM One Piece 587,000 (89.48%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 559,000 (95.23%)

Adults 18-49:

11:00 PM Samurai Jack 0.68

12:00 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 0.48 (70.59%)*

12:30 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 0.41 (85.42%)

1:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 0.36 (87.80%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 0.34 (94.44%)

2:00 AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.34 (100.00%)

2:30 AM One Piece 0.30 (88.24%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 0.28 (93.33%)

Hasn't the encore of Super retained Family Guy and Jack about as well as DBZ Kai retained Family Guy by percentage? I'm not convinced the 8pm airing is holding the 11:30 Super back from greater success.

We all know starting Toonami earlier poses a risk of lower ratings and that's compounded by cable viewership declining. Jack's doing great so far. Hopefully everything else improves with the upcoming schedule shift but this week is already a nice improvement over the last one.

Hasn't the encore of Super retained Family Guy and Jack about as well as DBZ Kai retained Family Guy by percentage? I'm not convinced the 8pm airing is holding the 11:30 Super back from greater success.

We all know starting Toonami earlier poses a risk of lower ratings and that's compounded by cable viewership declining. Jack's doing great so far. Hopefully everything else improves with the upcoming schedule shift but this week is already a nice improvement over the last one.

I don't think it's holding things back as much as people think. Maybe some viewers are watching at 8, skipping 11:30 and watching the rest of Toonami. Some , like me, watch both as well.About 800k( 300k adult )viewers watched at 8pm this week. I don't think everyone of those viewers would watch the 11:30 if 8:00pm didn't exist. I think your mostly hitting 2 different groups of people with different viewing habits. Many people can't watch at 8 due to being out at that time. Others won't be up to watch at 11:30 or casuals will be watching something else.

I was worried about how Jack would do out front, but I was dead wrong. I'm just sad it's only for 10 weeks. It's doing great and I'm really enjoying it!

It's mostly Kai I'm worried about. Last week there was a big drop off. Not as much this week, but as I've heard on the podcast "not even Dragonball can retain Dragonball"

In this case, I don't think jack can retain Jack!

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-ncaa-tournament-cbs-tbs-leads-prime-time/

Yeah, that's right. Jack gained from Family Guy for the 2nd week in a row!!

10:30 PM Family Guy 1,275,000

11:00 PM Samurai Jack 1,300,000 (101.96%)

11:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 1,054,000 (81.08%)

12:00 AM Sand Whale & Me 893,000 (84.72%)

12:05 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 973,000 (108.96%)

12:30 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 790,000 (81.19%)

1:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 679,000 (85.95%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 660,000 (97.20%)

2:00 AM Naruto: Shippuden 656,000 (99.39%)

2:30 AM One Piece 587,000 (89.48%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 559,000 (95.23%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE - 804,963

How about that! The 18-49 is even more pronounced!

10:30 PM Family Guy 834,000

11:00 PM Samurai Jack 871,000 (104.44%)

11:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 666,000 (76.46%)

12:00 AM Sand Whale & Me 574,000 (86.19%)

12:05 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 616,000 (107.32%)

12:30 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 527,000 (85.55%)

1:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 456,000 (86.53%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 438,000 (96.05%)

2:00 AM Naruto: Shippuden 431,000 (98.40%)

2:30 AM One Piece 386,000 (89.56%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 365,000 (94.56%)

ADULTS 18-49 TOONAMI AVERAGE - 527,667

Even though it's like comparing apples to slightly smaller apples, that 528K for 18-49 is the highest yet of the year! Way to go, Jack!

CURRENT SHOW AVERAGES

Total Viewers

Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - 903,727 (11 episodes)

Samurai Jack - 1,426,000 (2 episodes)

Dragon Ball Super (11:30 PM) - 1,215,900 (10 episodes)

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Final Chapters - 1,062,424 (11 episodes)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 918,571 (21 episodes)

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - 750,364 (11 episodes)

Hunter × Hunter - 853,762 (42 episodes)

Naruto: Shippuden - 872,450 (150 episodes)

One Piece - 787,612 (178 episodes)

Ghost In The Shell HD - 536,000 (7 episodes)

Adults 18-49

Dragon Ball Super (8 PM, Estimate) - 426,091 (11 episodes)

Samurai Jack - 922,000 (2 episodes)

Dragon Ball Super (11:30 PM) - 728,600 (10 episodes)

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Final Chapters - 635,727 (11 episodes)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 555,048 (21 episodes)

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - 449,545 (11 episodes)

Hunter × Hunter - 503,476 (42 episodes)

Naruto: Shippuden - 483,313 (133 episodes)

One Piece - 428,857 (133 episodes)

Ghost In The Shell HD - 327,714 (7 episodes)

Adults 18-34 (Estimated)

Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - 277,900 (10 episodes)

Samurai Jack - 649,000 (2 episodes)

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Final Chapters - 436,091 (11 episodes)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 375,476 (21 episodes)

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn - 308,182 (11 episodes)

Why does JoJo shit the bed so much?

I guess JoJo's just not catching on like people wanted it to.  Kinda sad, really, since it's a good show.

Though this brings up a good question: JoJo only has about a month or so left before it's done.  What happens then?  Do we go straight into the next season?  Or is it switched out?  What does everyone think?  Personally I think it's gonna be switched out.

In fact, I don't mind it being switched out temporarily with a return later on down the line. Kinda like what they did with SAO II.

That's kinda my thoughts on the matter, too.  It also prevents JoJo from becoming a long runner, though with how the block is expanding recently even that isn't too much of a problem anymore.

I think the problem with Battle Tendency (and to a lesser extent, Phantom Blood) actually MIGHT be that most people who wanted to see its dub already have it from the mass-produced bare-bones Warner release. That's not the case with Stardust Crusaders; beyond the first 3, which had a limited release on Crunchyroll as a test dub, those WILL be DUB PREMIERES.

With One Piece off the block, I'm assuming they'll just keep on truckin' with JoJo for now. It will probably pair a lot better with Tokyo Ghoul than it did with Gundam, which should help its numbers. But still, it is kinda disheartening to look back on this time last year and see that Dimension W was doing over TWICE at times in total viewers what JoJo is doing in that timeslot this year!

I would like to see them maybe take a small break and put a 12 episode show on just for variety. I figure they'll give Stardust a shot because it encapsulates what Jojo really is.

I agree with you in regards to it not being a dub premere right now. As I've said before, the problem now is that once a dub is released in any capacity it shows up on illegal streaming sites. I've seen a tweet right after episode 2 aired directing people who couldn't wait to see the rest to one of those sites saying that the whole things up there to watch right now. This is why I really don't like that FUNImation is releasing all of DBZ KAI TFC on DVD by June. I know it's DBZ, but why couldn't they just wait for Toonami to air it like Viz is doing with HXH?

I suppose this is also what concerns me about AOT: that FUNimation will want to put it exclusively on FUNimation NOW! and not let Toonami get it right away. Even a few weeks will allow the episodes to go up on illegal sites and sort of hold back its potential on Toonami! If they can pull it off for late April they have an amazing opportunity to be so close to Japan, I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Why does JoJo shit the bed so much?

Most things not called One-Punch Man lose about that many 18-49 viewers from DBZ. JoJo did not start that trend though it has arguably seen the worst drops from DBZ yet on prior weeks.

It's an acquired taste. The old anime style visuals, over the top narration and accents and the overall bizarreness just don't appeal to a lot of the general audience. Add to that people could have seen the dub already and plenty of people are waiting for Stardust Crusaders to air as opposed two the first two arcs.

Yeah, I really do believe Stardust Crusaders will do better myself, if that's what's going in that timeslot right after Battle Tendency!

I also wonder if they recouped the cost of licensing for being able to play "Roundabout" for a year?

Kinda fortuitous that it happened the year Yes gets inducted until the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame though, ain't it??

Anyway, back to Stardust, I'm sure they also licensed the American Classic Rock ED THAT part has if they got Stardust to directly follow BT! I just wonder if maybe this is somewhere else the costs of Season 7 of One Piece ended up going...

I also forgot that DBZ KFC loses its dub premiere status very soon, ironically around the same time JoJo would gain it...or IS it??

Actually, if Stardust premieres on April 29th directly following BT, the first 3 episodes would NOT be dub premieres since they were part of that "test dub" that Crunchyroll streamed way back in July 2014. Coupled with the DVD/BD release of DBZ KFC, that means the only true dub premiere left on the schedule for those 3 weeks would be Hunter x Hunter. Good thing the conclusion of Samurai Jack opens the block those 3 weeks, especially the Grand Finale on May 13th!

Assuming that Attack on Titan Season 2 replaces Jack at 11 PM on May 20th, that would mean a block with 3 dub premieres starts that day: AOTS2, JoJo: SC (w/ Episode 4), and Hunter x Hunter! Gundam IBO S2 would most likely join at some point for a 4th Dub Premiere. (I'm picking Tokyo Ghoul's FIRST season to air at 1 AM but then it and Gundam to swap).

Actually, if Stardust premieres on April 29th directly following BT, the first 3 episodes would NOT be dub premieres since they were part of that "test dub" that Crunchyroll streamed way back in July 2014.

Why do you have to parrot this every time the subject comes up?

I mean, there's no guarantee that Viz would have that exact same dub cast, but even if they did, there's always the possibility of them redubbing those first three episodes for... some sort of continuity issue, I guess. There's a better word for it somewhere.

Yeah, I really do believe Stardust Crusaders will do better myself, if that's what's going in that timeslot right after Battle Tendency!

I also wonder if they recouped the cost of licensing for being able to play "Roundabout" for a year?

Kinda fortuitous that it happened the year Yes gets inducted until the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame though, ain't it??

Anyway, back to Stardust, I'm sure they also licensed the American Classic Rock ED THAT part has if they got Stardust to directly follow BT! I just wonder if maybe this is somewhere else the costs of Season 7 of One Piece ended up going...

I also forgot that DBZ KFC loses its dub premiere status very soon, ironically around the same time JoJo would gain it...or IS it??

Actually, if Stardust premieres on April 29th directly following BT, the first 3 episodes would NOT be dub premieres since they were part of that "test dub" that Crunchyroll streamed way back in July 2014. Coupled with the DVD/BD release of DBZ KFC, that means the only true dub premiere left on the schedule for those 3 weeks would be Hunter x Hunter. Good thing the conclusion of Samurai Jack opens the block those 3 weeks, especially the Grand Finale on May 13th!

Assuming that Attack on Titan Season 2 replaces Jack at 11 PM on May 20th, that would mean a block with 3 dub premieres starts that day: AOTS2, JoJo: SC (w/ Episode 4), and Hunter x Hunter! Gundam IBO S2 would most likely join at some point for a 4th Dub Premiere. (I'm picking Tokyo Ghoul's FIRST season to air at 1 AM but then it and Gundam to swap).

I have a feeling that  Jojo might  not go right into Stardust Crusaders since Demarco stated previously that it'll probably take a break between seasons. If it doesn't then I have a feeling we'll be seeing Mob Psycho 100 or Attack on Titan season 2. Demarco again last week in an interview mentioned how much he likes Mob. I think they wanted to do it earlier, but it wasn't ready yet so they couldn't put it on.

Depending on if they had any recasts, they may not have to do much to those 3 episodes other than change a few of the characters (don't want to name them yet!)  that have since been established to have accents (those characters have been confirmed to be keeping the same actors based on what we know so far)along with the narrator (they actually got the guy that narrated MMPR for those episodes!) The most important thing to consider of course, can they play "Walk like an Egyptian"? If not, don't even bother with the show  ;D

AoT season 2 most likely won't premere May 20th because Memorial Day is the following weekend so they may double up on Kai that week similar to what they did between Dimension W and Gundam IBO. If it isn't coming after Jojo, it'll probably be on June 3rd. Of course that could all go out the window if they feel it is a time sensitive situation and want to get it on ASAP.

There is also the off chance that Super will have to take a break at some point. FUNimation is calling the movie adaptions "Season 1" and that was what was said it be running on Adult Swim. They may do that to keep the Dragonball train going a little longer while they are still playing Kai. TheN they can build hype with "All NEW EPISODES".I say as long as the episodes are done keep playing them.

Yeah, unfortunately I see that as the point that HxH officially moves to 2am.I think it just got a stay of execution because of Unicorn's poor performance. They'll probably have IBO at 1, Tokyo Ghoul at 1:30, and HxH at 2.

Yeah, unfortunately I see that as the point that HxH officially moves to 2am.I think it just got a stay of execution because of Unicorn's poor performance. They'll probably have IBO at 1, Tokyo Ghoul at 1:30, and HxH at 2.

-_-  Well by then, GUNDAM Unicorn would have ended, so HxH wouldn't have any reason to be pushed down.

-_-  Well by then, GUNDAM Unicorn would have ended, so HxH wouldn't have any reason to be pushed down.

I figured it would because they may not want to premere a new show at 2:00. Unless for some reason they are stuck with IBO and are not expecting it to do well so they bury it there, but I don't think they'd do that.

250k drop from Jack to Super? Isn't that somewhat bad?

That's about what it did last week too. It's a similar drop that it had from Family Guy. Jack is more popular with regular Adult Swim viewers it seems. Hopefully in the coming weeks that can be parlayed into bigger numbers for Super. I was naive in thinking that Jack wouldn't perform well as the lead show! I'm glad that something other that Dragonball can do that! Too bad Jacks only around for 10 weeks!

I figured it would because they may not want to premere a new show at 2:00. Unless for some reason they are stuck with IBO and are not expecting it to do well so they bury it there, but I don't think they'd do that.

And I presume we won't be getting that broadcast dub of AoT Season 2, since it's already premiering in Japan in under 2 weeks and an announcement would be very late by now.  I expect we'll get that eventually, but only months from now. 

Waiting till after Memorial Day to start season 2 of AoT means being close to half a season behind Japan, that rather defeats the point of going to the effort of dubbing the show using broadcast masters. Adding weeks off for marathons and they'll get even more behind. Given that I'll make two bold predictions. Either they start AoT on April 29th and potentially do not give the 11pm hour a week off for most of the usual holidays (meaning no preempting Super those weeks either) or they start AoT on May 20th and do not preempt the 11pm hour on holidays until AoT ends.

Waiting till after Memorial Day to start season 2 of AoT means being close to half a season behind Japan, that rather defeats the point of going to the effort of dubbing the show using broadcast masters. Adding weeks off for marathons and they'll get even more behind. Given that I'll make two bold predictions. Either they start AoT on April 29th and potentially do not give the 11pm hour a week off for most of the usual holidays (meaning no preempting Super those weeks either) or they start AoT on May 20th and do not preempt the 11pm hour on holidays until AoT ends.

I mean, Funimation really spoiled us didn't they?  :D  We can't expect Toonami to broadcast even some of their broadcast dubs.

Yeah. They need to sort of break their conventional habits in order to get this show on ASAP. After all, they didn't take off Thanksgiving in order to line up premieres where they needed to go. I seem to recall them not skipping Space Dandy at all so it could still be a world premiere. They really have an opportunity to do something special with AOT if everything lines up and FUNimation can get it done and work out a favorable deal with Toonami (most likely already in the works if not done already).

I will be curious to see what they'll do on marathon weeks with a 4.5 hour block as well. Will they run 9 episodes of the same show? I do hope we get that 5 hour movie version of Jack at some point!

I mean, Funimation really spoiled us didn't they?  :D  We can't expect Toonami to broadcast even some of their broadcast dubs.

I wonder if FUNIMATION will make it a little more difficult for Toonami to get broadcast dubs right away. Are they gonna want exclusivity over them for their service for a period after putting in the investment to get them done so fast?

I wonder if FUNIMATION will make it a little more difficult for Toonami to get broadcast dubs right away. Are they gonna want exclusivity over them for their service for a period after putting in the investment to get them done so fast?

"will"?  I think they always have made it hard for Toonami to get their broadcast dubs! So far they aired Space Dandy, Dimension W,  ... .........................        .....................    ...

Space Dandy and Dimension W. With those extra ellipses, it kinda sounds like you're trying to come up with more broadcast dubs they aired, when your first sentence pretty much says right then and there that they only aired the two.

That is the point I was making. They ONLY aired two, and Funimation creates several of these dubs per season!  The percentage that Toonami aired doesn't even reach 5!

So what was the point of all the ellipses then? I'm not attacking you for the way you responded, but I personally would've accepted either of these two replies.

""will"?  I think they always have made it hard for Toonami to get their broadcast dubs! Space Dandy and Dimension W were the only ones they aired, after all."

""will"?  There's no way they've made it that hard for Toonami to get their broadcast dubs! So far they aired Space Dandy, Dimension W,  ... .........................        .....................    ..."

But mostly because I would've easier understood them instead of trying to wrap my head around their meanings. -_'

That is the point I was making. They ONLY aired two, and Funimation creates several of these dubs per season!  The percentage that Toonami aired doesn't even reach 5!

Well I mean in a way it makes sense.  If they keep some of them exclusive to their own site people will be more willing to go there to watch it.  Airing it on Toonami won't do that for them.

Then you have to keep in mind whether or not Toonami is even interested in any of the broadcast dubs, and if they are, if they can afford it. 

Even if Toonami doesn't do a broadcast dub of Attack on Titan, I'm sure it's still gonna come to the block.  It will also probably pull good ratings, too.  Casuals aren't going to go out of their way to search for the Attack on Titan dub on the internet.  Most of the time, anyway.

Good news, everyone!

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-3-25-2017.html

Final-Cable-2017-25.SAT_.png

3/25/2017 Dragon Ball Super (8 PM) - #15 (+13)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.39

Estimated 18-34 - 265,000 ( 32.28% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.34

Estimated 18-49 - 436,000 ( 53.11% )

Total Viewers - 821,000

3/25/2017 Samurai Jack - #6 (-1)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.88

Estimated 18-34 - 598,000 ( 44.23% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.66

Estimated 18-49 - 846,000 ( 62.57% )

Total Viewers - 1,352,000

3/25/2017 DBZ Kai: Final Chapters - #8 (+1)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.69

Estimated 18-34 - 469,000 ( 43.67% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.54

Estimated 18-49 - 692,000 ( 64.43% )

Total Viewers - 1,074,000

3/25/2017 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - #9 (+2)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.67

Estimated 18-34 - 455,000 ( 48.51% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.51

Estimated 18-49 - 654,000 ( 69.72% )

Total Viewers - 938,000

3/25/2017 Tokyo Ghoul - #11 (DEBUT)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.6

Estimated 18-34 - 408,000 ( 46.42% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.44

Estimated 18-49 - 564,000 ( 64.16% )

Total Viewers - 879,000

3/25/2017 Gundam Unicorn - #14 (+1)

Adults 18-34 Rating - 0.53

Estimated 18-34 - 360,000 ( 50.00% )

Adults 18-49 Rating - 0.38

Estimated 18-49 - 487,000 ( 67.64% )

Total Viewers - 720,000

Pretty strong debut for Tokyo Ghoul. Not over a million, but a 0.6 18-34 in that timeslot has to be considered decent these days. Samurai Jack shed 0.02 in Adults 18-49 but everything else gained over last week. Even Gundam Unicorn at 2 AM continued its slow but steady upswing out of its valley 2 weeks ago, even though it was an hour later! A 0.53 18-34 at 2 AM is pretty damn good!

Unfortunately, it's still a far cry from what these shows were doing 3-4 weeks ago when Family Guy was at 11 PM instead of Samurai Jack, (let alone what the block was doing 1 or 2 years ago), but as long as things continue to swing upward, it's a win in my book!

Yes, also we need to remember the 2nd Episode stigma: ratings for the premiere tend to be worse than the second episode of a new series on Toonami. Don't know why, but it happens a lot.  Also, yes the ratings for this time of the night are lower on average, so this is a welcome sight.

All list-eligible Toonami shows in the top 15. That's a good sign.

And yes, Elfie, I am well aware of that stigma. Episode 2 of Deadman was one of the only two non-Bleach programs on Toonami Swim to get over a million before Naruto returned. The other was episode 9, IIRC.

All list-eligible Toonami shows in the top 15. That's a good sign.

And yes, Elfie, I am well aware of that stigma. Episode 2 of Deadman was one of the only two non-Bleach programs on Toonami Swim to get over a million before Naruto returned. The other was episode 9, IIRC.

That's going back a long time, almost 5 years, but I do believe that's true! The "Lucky 7's" turned out not to be, and while Thundercats 2011 would eventually crack a million a few times at 1 AM, it would first languish at 2:30 AM for like a month!

These days it seems like the Midnight Hour is OK to be under a million as long as that doesn't happen to the 11 AM hour. But if Stardust Crusaders is destined to replace Battle Tendency, hopefully those episodes will do what Battle Tendency couldn't (so far) and crack a million, and that will spill over into Tokyo Ghoul (and maybe even beyond!)

One Piece is gone and the ratings immediately rebound from their March Madness funk.

Coincidence?  YOU BE THE JUDGE.

Yes, coincidence.

That show was on at 2:30 AM and wouldn't even affect anything at 2 AM that much, let alone 1 AM!

Ghoul IS an improvement over Gundam at 1 AM though. Between the last 10 episodes of IBO Season 1 and the first 11 of Unicorn, it has averaged 319K 18-34, 478K 18-49, and 813K total viewers. Compare that to Ghoul's first episode's 408K 18-34, 564K (estimated) 18-49, and 879K overall. In fact, in its first week, Tokyo Ghoul has already done what Unicorn couldn't do--crack 400K 18-34, and in fact broken its personal best in 18-34 by 55K and 18-49 by about 40K.

However, that being said, IBO still has the edge on it at 12:30 AM. So IBO Season 2 might still be considered the more valuable property if and when it arrives after Unicorn. I guess we'll see.

Well folks, it's official: we have a new high for the year 2017!!

http://programminginsider.com/ratings/final-nationals/saturday-final-nationals-tbs-dominates-night-ncaa-elite-8-doubleheader/

TOTAL VIEWERS RETENTION

8:00 PM Dragon Ball Super 821,000

10:30 PM Family Guy 1,273,000

11:00 PM Samurai Jack 1,352,000 (106.21%)

11:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 1,066,000 (78.85%)

12:00 AM Sand Whale & Me 1,018,000 (95.50%)

12:05 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 1,074,000 (105.50%)

12:30 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 938,000 (87.34%)

1:00 AM Tokyo Ghoul 879,000 (93.71%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 805,000 (91.58%)

2:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 720,000 (89.44%)

2:30 AM Naruto: Shippuden 643,000 (89.31%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 499,000 (77.60%)

TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE - 885,185

That beats the previous high of 881K from a month ago (2/25/17). Also, note that DBZ Kai FC actually BEAT the Toonami airing of DB Super for once and of course continued to gain markedly on Sandwhale and me. These trends are only more pronounced when you consider the 18-49 ratings:

ADULTS 18-49 RETENTION

8:00 PM Dragon Ball Super 442,000

10:30 PM Family Guy 773,000

11:00 PM Samurai Jack 852,000 (110.22%)

11:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 652,000 (76.53%)

12:00 AM Sand Whale & Me 661,000 (101.38%)

12:05 AM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 694,000 (104.99%)

12:30 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 650,000 (93.66%)

1:00 AM Tokyo Ghoul 570,000 (87.69%)

1:30 AM Hunter × Hunter 526,000 (92.28%)

2:00 AM Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn 478,000 (90.87%)

2:30 AM Naruto: Shippuden 407,000 (85.15%)

3:00 AM Ghost In The Shell HD 302,000 (74.20%)

ADULTS 18-49 TOONAMI AVERAGE - 569,500

That average shatters the previous record for 2017 set last week and is actually the first time in 2017 that Toonami managed to beat 2016's 18-49 average across all timeslots of 531K! Also, note that Kai also beat Super in 18-49 and gained about the same on Sand Whale and Me, and Samurai Jack is a freaking BEAST, gaining more than 10% over its Family Guy lead-in, eclipsing it for the 3rd time in a row! Hopefully things only get better from here!

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic