UnevenEdge

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Episode 25 (Egypt Arc Episode 1)

Blatch

Yeah well flies stick to Dio like, well, how they stick to shit.

Looks like since this guy is blind he wants to make everyone else blind too!

Water that hunts through sound.  This is like something out of a horror movie!

Why isn't anyone else bringing their stands out.  Help them!

Shit now the dune buggy is sinking!

Ah to be continued?!

Now what the heck is this song?

• Like 1

On 2/17/2018 at 11:30 PM, ben0119 said:

This is like something out of a horror movie!

Even though the music references eclipses the horror references, there is indeed horror throughout this franchise.

There are quite a few references to Stephen King's works alone in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, especially in Stardust Crusaders. Look at the constant mentioning of stands. That is a reference to Stephen King's novel and miniseries, The Stand.

Jotaro's last name is Kujo, which is a nod to the rabid dog, Cujo. Although, it really wouldn't surprise me if the dog's temperament is meant to be like the Saint Bernard from Cujo besides him being named after Iggy Pop.

Then, there is that red possessed car, which is a nod to King's Horror novel and film, Christine. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Hirohiko Araki references to Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive next.

Oh yeah, I never even considered all the Stephen King references! But they seem to be something that's limited mainly to Part 3 and perhaps going forward. I didn't notice them as pronouncedly in Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, for instance. But it could also be a nod to horror-centered literature from those time frames as well? Consider that Part 3 and so forth are modern, whereas Part 1 contained references to 19th Century literature, and Part 2 contained references to World War II era literature and film (such as Ben Hur). 

But maybe I'm reading into this too much; after all, not a peep from Edgar Allan Poe in Phantom Blood...

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Oh yeah, I never even considered all the Stephen King references! But they seem to be something that's limited mainly to Part 3 and perhaps going forward. I didn't notice them as pronouncedly in Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, for instance. But it could also be a nod to horror-centered literature from those time frames as well? Consider that Part 3 and so forth are modern, whereas Part 1 contained references to 19th Century literature, and Part 2 contained references to World War II era literature and film (such as Ben Hur). 

But maybe I'm reading into this too much; after all, not a peep from Edgar Allan Poe in Phantom Blood...

When it comes to Phantom Blood, Araki was supposedly influenced by Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Meanwhile, Stardust Crusaders and Diamond Is Unbreakable supposedly have more horror references in them, according to what other fans have been saying. 

I forgot to mention that Mannish Boy (the baby stand user) has the stand, Death 13. Death 13's tactics are a lot like Freddy Krueger's from A Nightmare On Elm Street. Much like Freddy Krueger, he attacks his victims in the dreamworld. In other words, he tries killing them in their sleep.

Oh yeah, of COURSE Part 1 was an ode to Dracula, despite the fact that JJBA vampires can suck blood through their claws and not just their fangs, which makes them even more terrifying! And of course I caught the similarities to Nightmare on Elm Street in Death 13's mini-arc!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

Also, if memory serves me right, the name of the stand, Death 13 is more of a reference to Friday The 13th besides trying to kill victims in their sleep like Freddy Krueger in A Nightmare On Elm Street. 

This arc in particular has so many types of references, that it's hard to catch them all. Like I said earlier, the music references pretty much eclipse the horror references in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

• Like 1