UnevenEdge

So I might be getting fired from my job this week

Swimmod_Luna

get a jerb

I have one. For now. Technically. Hopefully that continues. I want a new job but need to keep making money.

Oh man what am I gonna do if I get fired. What do I put on applications? Can I use other people from the agency who I worked with but not directly enough that they'd know details as references even though they'll question why I'm gone all of a sudden?

I have one. For now. Technically. Hopefully that continues. I want a new job but need to keep making money.

Oh man what am I gonna do if I get fired. What do I put on applications? Can I use other people from the agency who I worked with but not directly enough that they'd know details as references even though they'll question why I'm gone all of a sudden?

i meant a new jerb. normally i'd say you're worrying. but HR and union rep in same room = bad times. honestly if you really think you're going to get fired, i would give my two week notice like now and just take take a job at like McDonalds or something for like a month while you look around. if an employer asks just say that "the environment was becoming uncomfortable and i needed to get out quickly"

i meant a new jerb. normally i'd say you're worrying. but HR and union rep in same room = bad times. honestly if you really think you're going to get fired, i would give my two week notice like now and just take take a job at like McDonalds or something for like a month while you look around. if an employer asks just say that "the environment was becoming uncomfortable and i needed to get out quickly"

I was planning on it anyway. Already sent a few applications in but no interviews yet. I don't know if giving notice would help at all. They sent me home today after talking to me, said they'll call me tomorrow and let me know when to come in so they can talk again, either to terminate me or discipline in some other way. I have enough saved up that I can go a few months without getting any income, and I may be able to get unemployment according to the union rep, which would help a bit.

Still not sure what to do about references.

I was planning on it anyway. Already sent a few applications in but no interviews yet. I don't know if giving notice would help at all. They sent me home today after talking to me, said they'll call me tomorrow and let me know when to come in so they can talk again, either to terminate me or discipline in some other way. I have enough saved up that I can go a few months without getting any income, and I may be able to get unemployment according to the union rep, which would help a bit.

Still not sure what to do about references.

legally, they can't say how you left your previous job. they can only say your position and how long you worked there. that being said, no one actually knows what they really say but if you ever have reason to believe they told a future employer this, you can sue them. now they do ask you on job apps if you've been fired or disciplined at work. telling you they "might" fire or discipline you is not reason for you to believe that they "will" fire or discipline you and there's  a big difference between MAY or WILL. if you've already received a formal write up, you might as well wait it out. if you haven't gotten one yet just bail now and keep yourself clean.

this is also going to sound incredibly pretentious, and i don't mean it to be, but it also really depends what kind of job you go for next. if it's a corporate job and your last job was a part time, they might use some third party service for work verification and they might never actually speak to HR. however if your current job is corporate, then i would be extremely careful not to burn a bridge. YMMV and every company is different

legally, they can't say how you left your previous job. they can only say your position and how long you worked there. that being said, no one actually knows what they really say but if you ever have reason to believe they told a future employer this, you can sue them. now they do ask you on job apps if you've been fired or disciplined at work. telling you they "might" fire or discipline you is not reason for you to believe that they "will" fire or discipline you and there's  a big difference between MAY or WILL. if you've already received a formal write up, you might as well wait it out. if you haven't gotten one yet just bail now and keep yourself clean.

this is also going to sound incredibly pretentious, and i don't mean it to be, but it also really depends what kind of job you go for next. if it's a corporate job and your last job was a part time, they might use some third party service for work verification and they might never actually speak to HR. however if your current job is corporate, then i would be extremely careful not to burn a bridge. YMMV and every company is different

Most of the job apps I've been looking at don't ask about if you've been fired. They do ask why you left but I figure for that I can just say the job wasn't a good fit or something (which is true).

I'm at a non-profit now and mainly looking at other non-profit places. I meant more like, I already figured my direct supervisor isn't going to be good for a reference and I understand that that's okay. There are other people I know at this agency who have supervisor roles who aren't directly over me and so would have no reason to know the details about this. I feel like I have a good relationship with them and was considering using them as references. But if I were to get fired, I'm sure they'd find out pretty quickly (especially if I'm calling them from my personal phone to request a reference). How would I explain what happened and still get a reference?

Most of the job apps I've been looking at don't ask about if you've been fired. They do ask why you left but I figure for that I can just say the job wasn't a good fit or something (which is true).

I'm at a non-profit now and mainly looking at other non-profit places. I meant more like, I already figured my direct supervisor isn't going to be good for a reference and I understand that that's okay. There are other people I know at this agency who have supervisor roles who aren't directly over me and so would have no reason to know the details about this. I feel like I have a good relationship with them and was considering using them as references. But if I were to get fired, I'm sure they'd find out pretty quickly (especially if I'm calling them from my personal phone to request a reference). How would I explain what happened and still get a reference?

good question. it depends on what you allegedly did. they might not care

Dang.. what did you do?

Sorry about maybe getting fired  :(

A client of mine passed away. The last time I saw him he didn't seem well but I didn't think much of it, thought it was just a cold or flu or something and he would get better with some rest. I didn't alert anyone else to his condition when I should have. I feel really shitty about the whole thing, and not just because of maybe losing my job.

A client of mine passed away. The last time I saw him he didn't seem well but I didn't think much of it, thought it was just a cold or flu or something and he would get better with some rest. I didn't alert anyone else to his condition when I should have. I feel really shitty about the whole thing, and not just because of maybe losing my job.

I'm sorry to hear about this.

that doesn't sound to me like a fireable offense. there's no way she could have known it was THAT serious and it would set a precedent that anyone would have to report any type of cough or sneeze as a possible problem

That's what I was thinking; unless she has specific medical training I can't see that as being an actionable situation.

Prospective employers will usually ask your previous employer if you're eligible for re-hire, if they say no they wouldn't re-hire you then they know you probably dun goofed something up, so be ready with an honest/not completely vague or untrue answer if asked by a potential employer in an interview why you aren't with your previous job anymore.

They haven't called me yet to let me know when to come back in to discuss what action they're going to take...That's good, right? No news is good news and all that...If they were gonna fire me it would be simple but it takes time to figure out another type of disciplinary action....Right?

But honestly I'm accepting of it if they do fire me. I've started to hate my job anyway. I've been passively looking/thinking about getting another job for quite awhile, and had started actively searching/applying for a new job while I was off for the holiday. I just need to make money in the meantime. Unemployment would help but wouldn't be enough. I have a decent amount saved up (decent enough that, with unemployment and being careful about how I spend, absolute worse case end of the world scenario, I could probably finish out my lease and move back in with my parents if I absolutely had to. Obviously I don't want that though).

Also it would be nice to get some shit together at my current job, confirm some people for references, and be able to leave without having to worry about how I'll tell future employers why I left.

Haha that references thing is tough. There was an SAT job with a well-known company for which I was extremely qualified for (excellent scores on the teacher's exam for the job), but because they couldn't get in contact with my references they told me that I needed to provide them with new ones, but I didn't have anybody else to give them, so they ultimately didn't hire me, and I was like, "Ah whatever. That's f'ing dumb to be honest."

I feel that references aren't as important nowadays as they used to be because of people quitting all the time and former employers giving skewed accounts of an employee's actual work habits/attitude. They were probably relied on more thirty+ years ago than they are today. The employer can just forego them and assume the risk anyway, and that's what they really should do.

I feel that references aren't as important nowadays as they used to be because of people quitting all the time and former employers giving skewed accounts of an employee's actual work habits/attitude. They were probably relied on more thirty+ years ago than they are today. The employer can just forego them and assume the risk anyway, and that's what they really should do.

That's why u ask people before you put them down as a reference.

A lot of the stuff I've applied to so far doesn't require references up front but sometimes they ask after you interview. For now I'm sticking to places that don't require references up front but if I get desperate enough I may have to.

So they called me today and asked me to come in tomorrow at 9 to talk to HR. I usually work 11:30-8 on Thursdays but they did ask me to "work" 9-5:30 tomorrow so that's good I guess...Will have to wait and see what exactly happens.

Doesn't look like you're getting fired....who fires someone and asks them to work the day...

prepare for the worst news tomorrow, you're definitely getting fired if they want you to talk to HR again.

They said there's going to be disciplinary action no matter what so they'll probably discuss that with me...The way they worded it sounded like they wanted me to come in and work the day...

They said there's going to be disciplinary action no matter what so they'll probably discuss that with me...The way they worded it sounded like they wanted me to come in and work the day...

i would call them on it and ask at what point you should assume someone is sick enough to be dying. i would also ask them if you can be HIPPA certified so you can review health files to ensure that you can be aware at all times of any possible sickness

I mean wtf could you have done if they were sick? Did they want you to put it in your notes or something?

I should have let someone else know so they could know to keep an eye on him.

Ironically, it was my note that's causing problems because that's what they're referencing to say "why didn't you do more when you noticed his condition". Had I lied or been lazy with my notes and said he was fine, I'd probably be fine.

I should have let someone else know so they could know to keep an eye on him.

Ironically, it was my note that's causing problems because that's what they're referencing to say "why didn't you do more when you noticed his condition". Had I lied or been lazy with my notes and said he was fine, I'd probably be fine.

uugh .... I dunno. I'm just a social work intern but I'm pretty much making all the client notes and my supervisor is like .... you have to be detailed .... all his notes are copy and pasted from a word document he keeps on his desktop.

uugh .... I dunno. I'm just a social work intern but I'm pretty much making all the client notes and my supervisor is like .... you have to be detailed .... all his notes are copy and pasted from a word document he keeps on his desktop.

I don't think my supervisor even reads half the notes we submit. He sure approves them super quick and rarely gives any feedback about them.