UnevenEdge

UEMB Moderation Policy Q&A

Raptorpat

There have been a number of incidents over the past couple weeks that have necessitated discussion over the future of our moderation policies. My goal is to keep to the spirit of the low-key style JMC intended, but to make it workable in light of the fact that people do not always play nice.

A handful of individual threads have began popping up and I want to centralize the conversation in one place. So if you have any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on how a new way forward, or if you have any general questions for myself or KN[/member] or our three mods: Rogue_Alphonse[/member], MEXobiologist[/member], and viperxmns[/member], or for any other volunteers, please voice them here.

There have been a number of incidents over the past couple weeks that have necessitated discussion over the future of our moderation policies. My goal is to keep to the spirit of the low-key style JMC intended, but to make it workable in light of the fact that people do not always play nice.

A handful of individual threads have began popping up and I want to centralize the conversation in one place. So if you have any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on how a new way forward, or if you have any general questions for myself or KN[/member] or our three mods: Rogue_Alphonse[/member], MEXobiologist[/member], and viperxmns[/member], or for any other volunteers, please voice them here.

my suggestion

leave the guidelines on sexual content as they are (you can post raunchy images as long as you give a warning and spoiler tag them because that's working out fine so far)

but make blatant and racist trolling AT LEAST punishable by a small temp ban

and overt death threats punishable by a perma ban (a-la Moose's permaban)

What is going to be considered "trolling" in this forums? There are many different interpretations about what actual trolling is. I'd say it is safer and more accurate to go with a ban policy regarding repeated and malicious harassment, as there are people here who could be considered to be trolling in completely innocuous ways on a regular basis but aren't actually hurting anyone, others just don't like it.

As far as the racism/sexism/homophobia/whatever else social or cultural thing you find offensive goes. I don't see why this should be grounds for a ban unless it is specifically addressed to a user in conjunction with harassment, or threats.

OK, this is a copy pasta of my last post in the other thread, responding to Mix talking about power. It's not a suggestion, really, more of an observation.

Y'know, I don't think it's just about power. It's about recognition, it's about saying, yes, there are different parts to this community, and we recognize and embrace that fact. Shit, maybe there ought to be a mod from toonami/anime as well, not for the sake of power, but because it's always nice to be represented.

What is going to be considered "trolling" in this forums? There are many different interpretations about what actual trolling is. I'd say it is safer and more accurate to go with a ban policy regarding repeated and malicious harassment, as there are people here who could be considered to be trolling in completely innocuous ways on a regular basis but aren't actually hurting anyone, others just don't like it.

As far as the racism/sexism/homophobia/whatever else social or cultural thing you find offensive goes. I don't see why this should be grounds for a ban unless it is specifically addressed to a user in conjunction with harassment, or threats.

Pretty much the two types of trolling you mentioned are what's going on, but with some grey area. Like, Zeni..err MOST of Zeni's threads (excluding the OKC threads) are the ones which are not hurting anyone. But, Then he goes around following Viper or others (not as much but I have noticed it) and makes threads/replies to said user's threads to start shit.

As for the second statement, I do agree. Part of me thinks Luuv was still in 2008 when he created this place, where honestly all of those things weren't anywhere near as much of an issue generally on the internets. So yeah, it's time to put the hammer down, but we need a system for how hard we use that hammer.

(if my wording or replies suck, my bad, I am sick as hell.)

1pooh4u[/member]

André Toulon[/member]

poof[/member]

Doom Metal Alchemist[/member]

scoobdog[/member]

fuggnificent[/member]

naraku360[/member]

Naraku4656[/member]

pail[/member]

BUU8800[/member]

GunStarHero[/member]

Mewn[/member]

Sawdamizer[/member]

stilgar[/member]

1938_Packard[/member]

empty[/member]

Cau[/member]

katt_goddess[/member]

SorceressPol[/member]

Ginguy[/member]

Master-Debater131[/member]

SwimModSponges[/member]

Nabloom[/member]

imchapp.in[/member]

bnmjy[/member]

Hachiman[/member]

OK, this is a copy pasta of my last post in the other thread, responding to Mix talking about power. It's not a suggestion, really, more of an observation.

Y'know, I don't think it's just about power. It's about recognition, it's about saying, yes, there are different parts to this community, and we recognize and embrace that fact. Shit, maybe there ought to be a mod from toonami/anime as well, not for the sake of power, but because it's always nice to be represented.

viperxmns[/member]  would be that guy

I am all about this, simply because how Pat sticks to Rants&Ed's, and I stick to FFA. It's easier to deal with those we are familiar with. But honestly, those two folders are the big deal. I know anime can get a little riled up here and there, usually with the pic threads, but it's not to an extent where we (including xmns and Mexo) can't handle it.

Actually I think xmns and mexo do more there than I do :D

I will actually agree with Mthor on this, this is the best and most well thought out argument for having other mods.

I would suggest a Moderator structure or hierarchy so that these types of questions are limited in scope and frequency. I'm assuming KN is the current Admin and owner of the board and is thus the ultimate authority on these types of decisions, I'm fine with that. I think having 3 general forum mods, and perhaps 1 mod for the "Big Three" folders (Free-For-All, Rants, and Anime) wouldn't be a bad thing either. I don't think more than that would be a great idea though as it leads back to the same concerns about too many hands in the pot and lots of introduced bias.

I think the best process for determining who should be aforementioned representative mods might be to let the current mods nominate few specific users that are ok with taking on the responsibility and then letting the community vote to decide who is the moderator of the said forum. This would go a long way in creating a sense of goodwill in the community and trust I think.

Pretty much the two types of trolling you mentioned are what's going on, but with some grey area. Like, Zeni..err MOST of Zeni's threads (excluding the OKC threads) are the ones which are not hurting anyone. But, Then he goes around following Viper or others (not as much but I have noticed it) and makes threads/replies to said user's threads to start shit.

As for the second statement, I do agree. Part of me thinks Luuv was still in 2008 when he created this place, where honestly all of those things weren't anywhere near as much of an issue generally on the internets. So yeah, it's time to put the hammer down, but we need a system for how hard we use that hammer.

I'm okay with this

I just hope my joke flirting with Naraku doesn't count as repeated trolling S:

I will actually agree with Mthor on this, this is the best and most well thought out argument for having other mods.

I would suggest a Moderator structure or hierarchy so that these types of questions are limited in scope and frequency. I'm assuming KN is the current Admin and owner of the board and is thus the ultimate authority on these types of decisions, I'm fine with that. I think having 3 general forum mods, and perhaps 1 mod for the "Big Three" folders (Free-For-All, Rants, and Anime) wouldn't be a bad thing either. I don't think more than that would be a great idea though as it leads back to the same concerns about too many hands in the pot and lots of introduced bias.

I think the best process for determining who should be aforementioned representative mods might be to let the current mods nominate few specific users that are ok with taking on the responsibility and then letting the community vote to decide who is the moderator of the said forum. This would go a long way in creating a sense of goodwill in the community and trust I think.

1 mod for the "big three" =/= an admin...

I'm okay with this

I just hope my joke flirting with Naraku doesn't count as repeated trolling S:

There was a point where Naraku was becoming genuinely annoyed/uncomfortable with it and I had to confront you about it... so don't push it. And I'm not saying that to be mean or whatever. There is calm and gentle in that phrase.

Nope, I think this clarifies things perfectly, as expected from Senpai. I am just concerned about mob rule and the ethics that come in to play when you start dictating general categories of behaviors that are considered unacceptable. I think the best solution is to make a set of  reformed rules addressing SPECIFIC behaviors which will result in moderator action, whether that be warnings, bans, or silences like what was done to Zeni (i.e. temporarily removing thread privileges ect).

I think you might also want to categorize a select few specific behaviors as no-tolerance policies, namely specific malicious threats directed at a board poster detailing things like "I am going to bring x weapon to x person's house and beat the fucking shit out of them" type of stuff should probably be an immediate permanent ban. While most other things which are specifically outlined like repeated incidents of harassment result in temporary bans or very rarely permanent bans for a long history of such behavior after repeated moderator actions.

These are just some suggestions, my main point is that if you are going to go down this road you need to make rules for very specific things and detail what specific actions constitutes those moderation worthy things. As this is not a business run forum there is no reason to leave convoluted and confusing open ended moderation policies such as blanket legal declarations about unacceptable types of behavior.

Basically:

Types or categories of behavior probably a bad basis for moderator action.

Specific defined actions which are of a malicious nature and cause direct harm or potentially will cause direct harm to a poster or the communities ability to function (like hacking). is a good basis for moderator action and does not leave a lot of room for headache inducing questions later on.

I'm talking about a forum moderator for each of the high traffic folders, in addition to the 3 or 4 that are currently running the boards in a general sense. Sorry, I don't think I was clear.

Between Pat and KN the big 3 folders can be handled just fine

Rogue pretty much has FFA under control although he could be a tad more stricter on zeni/Phillies

As much as I like ya, kid....You just kinda proved my point.....The majority of you are useless as staff, but were granted the power, whether you use it or not.  For the record, none of this was about you because I've never seen you flaunt your initiative....Other's have.....Not just viper, so no....My post wasn't isolated to viper.  I didn't use names, including his, in my post because I'm not here to drop them like that, but I think you know where I'm coming from.....Even if you have an agenda with this post.  You've made your point.

mthor[/member] I get what you're saying...people are more willing to trust that one of their own will speak for them in some imagined back room discussion....and without this person in the mix (haha, "in the mix") they are likely to feel shafted in one way or another whether it's actually happening or not....

And Buddy, I get what you're saying here, but in your original post, you made it seem like luuv was giving out mod powers to any iber who asked for it...

as far as the rest of the staff goes....there are five of us....could that be too many helpers, sure....Luuv had an idea for what he wanted to do with this forum and was moving accordingly....we were part of the infrastructure, you could say....but as I demonstrated, we could easily give it up and scale back...

Nope, I think this clarifies things perfectly, as expected from Senpai. I am just concerned about mob rule and the ethics that come in to play when you start dictating general categories of behaviors that are considered unacceptable. I think the best solution is to make a set of  reformed rules addressing SPECIFIC behaviors which will result in moderator action, whether that be warnings, bans, or silences like what was done to Zeni (i.e. temporarily removing thread privileges ect).

I think you might also want to categorize a select few specific behaviors as no-tolerance policies, namely specific malicious threats directed at a board poster detailing things like "I am going to bring x weapon to x person's house and beat the fucking shit out of them" type of stuff should probably be an immediate permanent ban. While most other things which are specifically outlined like repeated incidents of harassment result in temporary bans or very rarely permanent bans for a long history of such behavior after repeated moderator actions.

These are just some suggestions, my main point is that if you are going to go down this road you need to make rules for very specific things and detail what specific actions constitutes those moderation worthy things. As this is not a business run forum there is no reason to leave convoluted and confusing open ended moderation policies such as blanket legal declarations about unacceptable types of behavior.

Basically:

Types or categories of behavior probably a bad basis for moderator action.

Specific defined actions which are of a malicious nature and cause direct harm or potentially will cause direct harm to a poster or the communities ability to function (like hacking). is a good basis for moderator action and does not leave a lot of room for headache inducing questions later on.

When I say "system", that's pretty much what I am pushing for.

Rogue pretty much has FFA under control although he could be a tad more stricter on zeni/Phillies

Part of me not being "as strict" lately is because on weekends, I have stuff going on, and during the week I work early in the AM so I end up passing out early and/or taking a nap (which is what happened today). As the summer comes to an end, I'll be inside a lot more... ;)

I already know this, but my proposal was simply in response to Mthor's argument about a perceived lack of representation. Which I think is probably the only legitimate argument that could be made as a case for more moderators.

Rogue_Alphonse[/member]

Well, I for one am not surprised, you've always been pragmatic when it comes to resolving social interactions which are unpleasant. One of the reasons I love you, cause I am of the exact same mindset.

I am glad to hear what I was suggesting is playing a role already in this discussion and likely in whatever action is taken.

how abt before banning someone you talk to them about whatever like a normal human being first?

We are all about them verbals.  <3

You KNOW my ass is. I have management history, I will gladly talk to someone about an issue before taking my own action.

Difference is, on here I semi-throw professionalism out the window. >:D

Rogue_Alphonse[/member]

Well, I for one am not surprised, you've always been pragmatic when it comes to resolving social interactions which are unpleasant. One of the reasons I love you, cause I am of the exact same mindset.

I am glad to hear what I was suggesting is playing a role already in this discussion and likely in whatever action is taken.

It seems so far everyone who popped in here is on that same page.

The issue to follow suit though, is whenever anyone gets talked to, or a ban, or what have you for something that they did which deserves such, then the whole "mods abusing powers" comes up. People need to realize, it's not "abuse" it's just "use". No need to blow it out of proportion. Seems like a few too many people on this board generally blow things up, whether it is just for the sake of doing so or because they genuinely are butthurt about it. So I am hoping this thread will clarify that, when action is taken (so long as it's not perma IP ban for like, insulting someone's shoes or something stupid like that), it's just "use".

Part of me not being "as strict" lately is because on weekends, I have stuff going on, and during the week I work early in the AM so I end up passing out early and/or taking a nap (which is what happened today). As the summer comes to an end, I'll be inside a lot more... ;)

I know that :P

I work nights as of now so being on during the day is common for me

mthor[/member] I get what you're saying...people are more willing to trust that one of their own will speak for them in some imagined back room discussion....and without this person in the mix (haha, "in the mix") they are likely to feel shafted in one way or another whether it's actually happening or not....

Honestly, I didn't even think of that, although you're right. I was thinking more in terms of validating all of the major folders and their usual inhabitants. I don't know - just bear with me as grandma spins another tale of the days of yore...I was raised Catholic in a largely Polish community. When JP2 was elected, everybody was ecstatic, and the new version of the Hail Mary that went around was "Hail Mary, full of grace, now the wops are in second place." You know that it didn't make a damned bit of difference  in our day to day lives who the Pope was, and I'm surer than I am about most things, including the color of the sky, that JP2 never heard of our town or anybody in it. But, simply because he was Polish and Catholic, he was one of ours, and that's all that mattered. Just by sitting on the throne of St Peter, he validated a lot of Catholics who'd felt marginalized by a papacy and curia that was dominated by Italians. Never mind anything he did, all he had to do was be, and it was enough.

Damn it, Mix, wake up and stop drooling on the keyboard! That probably made no sense, so I will apologize and toddle off to bed. If I can think of a shorter and clearer way to express myself, I'll let you know (is that what;s called Fair warning?)

Just want to drop this here.

Actual threats will not be tolerated, ever. I have seen two incidences of users directly or indirectly threatening violence towards other members. Neither of those users post here anymore, but if I see it in the future it will result in a permanent ban with no recourse.

I'm not spending a couple grand a year to foster an environment where people are attacked.

Just want to drop this here.

Actual threats will not be tolerated, ever. I have seen two incidences of users directly or indirectly threatening violence towards other members. Neither of those users post here anymore, but if I see it in the future it will result in a permanent ban with no recourse.

I'm not spending a couple grand a year to foster an environment where people are attacked.

Moose is one I remember but who is the second?

Guest VegetaFajita

We don't need any heavy moderation. Just really basic fucking common sense level rules.

No thread derailment  - How the fuck are you going to have a forum with all these asshats going around +1ing and never staying on topic and specifically targeting specific users. Temp ban

Drop the past - bring up your bullshit petty past drama with users on here and boom. Temp ban

Racisim/Sexisim,Anti-LGBT - 1st time perma 2nd time IP

Being a disgusting pig with the intent to nauseate  other users - Temp ban

Like if you disagree just gtfo

We're all grown ass people quit the fucking shit. Stop being fake and be your fucking self and everyone needs to put down this bullshit bravado.