UnevenEdge

My job in food service

Bouvre

is only made worse by having to endure this interaction every once in awhile:

*two dudes stand in line next to one another*

Me (holding a pen and ticket prepared to take an order): Are the two of you together?

One dude: Well, yeah, I'm paying but you know, we're not like... toGETHer together you know? I mean, I'm paying and whatnot, but we're not...that way, you know?

and since having to endure this multiple times, I've come up with several responses.

1. Oh, yeah, I get it. *wink*

2. Don't worry, I understand the need for discretion.

3. One person is paying; it's a date.

4. Wow, I'm gay as fuck and that was hella gay, dude. (The fired route/bad ending)

Solution: "Are you guys in the same party?"

One dude: I mean, we have the same views on prison reform, and neither of us was like, a big fan of Party of FiVE, and I am paying, but that doesn't mean I'm some libtard anarchist taintsnatcher!

Are you talking about specifically gay men doing this or all men?

I'm only asking because if I'm paying for a friend or my Brother's meal I have no problem saying "together"

I feel no need to over explain it, personally it's no one's business what my affiliation to said person is

I'm only asking because if I'm paying for a friend or my Brother's meal I have no problem saying "together"

I feel no need to over explain it, personally it's no one's business what my affiliation to said person is

Pretty much this......I mean I've had a sit down meal at a restaurant with my friend and if I'm paying, I just pay......If I'm not paying, I sit the and eat........If you think I'm boning the dude sitting across from me, well that's just your retarded problem.  You can ASK if it's bothering you that much, but I feel no need to dissolve your insecurities.

Not gay men, and not every two males eating together. There's just occasionally two dudes and one gets really worked up about the word "together" and it's just absurd

Pretty much this......I mean I've had a sit down meal at a restaurant with my friend and if I'm paying, I just pay......If I'm not paying, I sit the and eat........If you think I'm boning the dude sitting across from me, well that's just your retarded problem.  You can ASK if it's bothering you that much, but I feel no need to dissolve your insecurities.

It's not so much about my curiosity as a server, but the people who are ordering together who seem to think I'm implying something I'm clearly not interested in or affected by.

This is so far the best theory to lessen my irritation when faced with this response. Thank you.

finally my years of being a former anime nerd have paid off. now serve them both a milkshake with one straw and watch her face go red as a tomato.

finally my years of being a former anime nerd have paid off. now serve them both a milkshake with one straw and watch her face go red as a tomato.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,

and they're like "When did you start serving milkshakes?"

and I'm like, "We don't, officially,"

and they're like, "Can I speak to your manager please?"

and I'm like, "I am the manager,"

and the manager is like "What are you doing here on your day off?"

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,

and they're like "When did you start serving milkshakes?"

and I'm like, "We don't, officially,"

and they're like, "Can I speak to your manager please?"

and I'm like, "I am the manager,"

and the manager is like "What are you doing here on your day off?"