UnevenEdge

The Lost or Missing media thread

mochi

a small passion of mine that I rarely ever bring up is Lost media

I.e. films, TV series, video games or other content that has somehow been lost or misplaced over time, either due to poor sales, or it just not being considered good

for example, Harmony Gold (robotech's dubbers) Produced SEVERAL dubs in the 80's for series that either never got redubs or only got redubs a decade later and never released them

such as Dragonball and Minky Momo

Harmony Gold Produced a dub of db movies "curse of the Blood Rubies" and "mystical adventure" and apperently aired the former, ONCE, on some local TV stations in Phillidelphia in the 80's but their dub never got relesed to home video, rendering the dub lost until recently when a TV recording of Curse of the Blood Ruby's dub was found (wendee lee , Aka. Faye Valentine Preformed Bulma's voice, and several of the name changes from this unrelesed dub were later reused in Funimation's dub)

and their Dub of Minky Momo was never released in ANY form, however I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER having a TRAILER for Minky Momo's dub on an old VHS I have of 80's anime, its name was changed to "the magical adventures of Gigi" and apperently Harmony Gold's dub was used as the basis for several other foreign language dubs of Minky Momo (Namely any and all  foreign dubs that call her Gigi)

so, is there any Lost content you've heard about that you wish could be found, or, any Media you own that may or may not be lost?

I know longtime anime columnist Mike Toole does a "dubs that time forgot" panel at cons where he shows clips of super-obscure dubs that were often never released in any form.  It's amazing how many times certain titles wound up getting separate dubs.  Hell, the Lupin movie Mystery of Mamo has no fewer than four different English dubs.

I know longtime anime columnist Mike Toole does a "dubs that time forgot" panel at cons where he shows clips of super-obscure dubs that were often never released in any form.  It's amazing how many times certain titles wound up getting separate dubs.  Hell, the Lupin movie Mystery of Mamo has no fewer than four different English dubs.

apperently YuGiOh ZeXal has an unrelesed alternate dub Produced by Bang Zoom entertianment that never got relesed

it was promoted at several anime conventions, as at the time Konami had cut ties with 4kids and were sueing them for imbezzeling money from the sales of their dubs and Konami had tentatively sold the rights to Yugioh to Bang Zoom  but the lawsuit ultimately ended with Konami buying out 4kids and turning it into their own subsidiary called "4Kmedia" and decided to dub Yugioh ZeXal using 4kMedia after all, since they now owned 4kids

The missing dubs of Shinchan

http://lostmediaarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Shin_Chan_(Vitello_and_Phuuz_English_adaptations,_2002-2004)

Also, the North American version of the JoJo Part 5 PS2 game

oh yeah.........I remember Xplay did a review of that in promotion for it's relese.....then it never came out, the english Shonen Jump also promoted it

edit: also I have a feeling the homoerotic imagery is the reason the american release was cancelled

640?cb=20170531005529

It can be hard to hunt them down, but I'm super interested in finding martial arts movies that never made it past VHS.  It's crazy to think just how many crappy movies got made in the span of 4 decades. Even prolific directors of bad films, like Godfrey Ho, don't actually know how many movies they made. He's gone on record as saying he and his team would make a new movie almost every week for years, and by the time a movie got out to some local discount theater, they'd have made 2 more movies already. Someone interviewed him years ago about one of his movies and he had no idea it was his until he saw his name on the box.

so is this the thread to get Case Closed back on Toonami?

not unless the DVD's of Case Closed are out of Print and can't be bought via any legal means

also it was never on Toonami it was on AS

We all know AS doesn't show anime anymore

You know, I've been considering doing a little faux-adult swim after I move into the new place. Was gonna take the classic line-ups and even [as] commercials and edit them together to resemble the old broadcasts just for shits and giggles.

it's weird but lately I've been finding a lot of obscure stuff.  Stuff I couldn't find in the 90s when the web was young or in the torrent boom of the 00s.

And mostly it just randomly shows up on Youtube.  yeah, there's obscure sites, little collector blogs, and stuff like that.  But more often than not, just one day some random person tosses it up on Youtube and it's like "oh no way wtf" but there it is.

oh yeah.........I remember Xplay did a review of that in promotion for it's relese.....then it never came out, the english Shonen Jump also promoted it

edit: also I have a feeling the homoerotic imagery is the reason the american release was cancelled

640?cb=20170531005529

I think this has the most to do with it going unreleased.

51FCxjk28%2BL.jpg

It's also why the JoJo translations in the States here have plenty of Shining Diamonds, Jean Pierre Eiffels, and Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Prices.

I got all like 300 episodes of Dragonball on a SD card stuck in my TV.......>Whenever I have a Netflix fart I just turn that on instead.  Dragonball is far superior to Z.

and both db and dbz are far superior to super

it's weird but lately I've been finding a lot of obscure stuff.  Stuff I couldn't find in the 90s when the web was young or in the torrent boom of the 00s.

And mostly it just randomly shows up on Youtube.  yeah, there's obscure sites, little collector blogs, and stuff like that.  But more often than not, just one day some random person tosses it up on Youtube and it's like "oh no way wtf" but there it is.

Makes you wonder how much lost/rare stuff is just tucked away in someone's house somewhere or has just been tossed out over the years.

All this talk of lost or missing media had reminded me of Cowboy Bebop's "Speak Like a Child" session

faye-tv.jpg

be....ta_....max_.jpg

Child1-615x465.jpg

BebopSpeakLikeAChild3.jpg

with Spike and Jet's search for lost media

....I wonder if that episode is why I like Lost media so much

I have been into researching, collecting, and tracking down lost media for the last 4 or 5 years

s-l225.jpg

VHS_2-450x257.jpg

Anime%20VHS%20group%2022.jpg

Anime%20VHS%20group%2016.jpg

These are some of the out of print anime VHS I am currently tracking down and purchasing through amazon and ebay (Thankfully I still have a working VCR)

I have a lot of out of print anime dvds and have a decent chunk of lost media in general

I have been into researching, collecting, and tracking down lost media for the last 4 or 5 years

s-l225.jpg

VHS_2-450x257.jpg

These are some of the out of print anime VHS I am currently tracking down and purchasing through amazon and ebay (Thankfully I still have a working VCR)

I have a lot of out of print anime dvds and have a decent chunk of lost media in general

http://lostmediawiki.com/Home

this site is a somewhat decent resource for Lost media searching(they managed to recover some previously lost media)

the only thing worthy of note is that they also have articles for some media that should probably STAY lost, such as on-air deaths and suicides, those articles are labeled "NSFL" (not safe for life) accordingly

All this talk of lost or missing media had reminded me of Cowboy Bebop's "Speak Like a Child" session

faye-tv.jpg

be....ta_....max_.jpg

Child1-615x465.jpg

BebopSpeakLikeAChild3.jpg

with Spike and Jet's search for lost media

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop wasn't there supposed to be a big sex scene between Spike and Faye?

Or was it just taken out of the english dub? I was never a hardcore fan.

Speaking of Cowboy Bebop wasn't there supposed to be a big sex scene between Spike and Faye?

Or was it just taken out of the english dub? I was never a hardcore fan.

as far as I know no

there was a scene removed from the dub of Faye pulling a gun on two men having sex (because she was questioning them trying to find a bounty head) where AS photoshopped the "bottom" into a pillow, but the remastered edit that the current Toonami aired restored the scene

the classic AS edit also removed a single shot in Gren's nude scene (the scene confirming he has both a penis and breasts)

as far as I know no

there was a scene removed from the dub of Faye pulling a gun on two men having sex (because she was questioning them trying to find a bounty head) where AS photoshopped the "bottom" into a pillow, but the remastered edit that the current Toonami aired restored the scene

the classic AS edit also removed a single shot in Gren's nude scene (the scene confirming he has both a penis and breasts)

Maybe that's what I was thinking of. I always enjoyed watching Bebop, but Trigun was the one that I went all out for.

I just remembered seeing a thread about a sex scene being left or edited out, I could of swore they were saying faye

was the one doing the deed, but I probably havent seen half of the anime, don't know shit about manga or

the pre-production.

as far as I know no

Ah yes the classic "Pillow sex" censorship scene

Also I do remember there was the episode where a guard had a nudie magazine that was shown in one scene, that was censored out until that remastered edit restored it as well

The PS1 games for Ghost in the Shell and Dragon Ball GT.

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png

dragon-ball-gt-final-bout-usa.jpg

Theres also the PS2 game for GitS: Stand Alone Complex, which is hard to find compared to the copies of Samurai Champloo I keep stumbling across. I just remember playing the demo for SAC on an old PS Underground magazine disc. There was a Lupin the Third game I remember for the PS2, but it's surprisingly cheap on Amazon.

61W3BFQHDSL._AC_SX430_.jpg

On the topic of niche Japanese PS2 games, I remember having a deep lust for the girl on the Red Ninja box art, but I never got to play it, and it up and vanished quickly.

Red_Ninja_box_art.jpg

I also almost bought Bujingai, the game where Gackt plays the main character.

51MZNPGWW7L.jpg

Ever wanted a futuristic sequel to The Seven Samurai? That was a thing.

51-Zd-n1vWL._AC_.jpg

The PS1 games for Ghost in the Shell and Dragon Ball GT.

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png

dragon-ball-gt-final-bout-usa.jpg

Theres also the PS2 game for GitS: Stand Alone Complex, which is hard to find compared to the copies of Samurai Champloo I keep stumbling across. I just remember playing the demo for SAC on an old PS Underground magazine disc. There was a Lupin the Third game I remember for the PS2, but it's surprisingly cheap on Amazon.

61W3BFQHDSL._AC_SX430_.jpg

I saw a copy of Final Bout in a somewhat underground dubiously legal otaku-centric hobby shop once (I say dubiously legal because they sold bootlegged anime vhs's) I didn't buy it but from what I understand Final Bout's english dub was produced before funimation's dub of DBZ was even a thing and used bizzare sounding and ill-fitting voices that were basically cast based on how the dubbers assumed the characters would sound just based on how they looked xD

On the topic of niche Japanese PS2 games, I remember having a deep lust for the girl on the Red Ninja box art, but I never got to play it, and it up and vanished quickly.

Red_Ninja_box_art.jpg  it looks like RWBY

I also almost bought Bujingai, the game where Gackt plays the main character.

51MZNPGWW7L.jpgall I know about this game is that Xplay made fun of it

Ever wanted a futuristic sequel to The Seven Samurai? That was a thing.

51-Zd-n1vWL._AC_.jpgso the same premise as the "Samurai 7" anime toonami aired

found footage of Final Bout

actually........Goku's voice is an okay approximation of Sean Schemmel's voice, everyone else sounds strange though, and HALF THE ROSTER is just different versions of Goku because rather than have goku be able to transform they just have all his super forms be seperate fighters

Final Bout is the best because they didn't dub the battle voices so they have a decent Steve Blum voice for Goku's pre/post fight banter, but then his Japanese grandma voice comes out while he's doing a Kamehameha. As bad as the game is, it's been a collectors item that costs a fortune for years, even with a re-release. I'd imagine there'd be some unofficial copies here and there for that reason.

Final Bout is the best because they didn't dub the battle voices so they have a decent Steve Blum voice for Goku's pre/post fight banter, but then his Japanese grandma voice comes out while he's doing a Kamehameha. As bad as the game is, it's been a collectors item that costs a fortune for years, even with a re-release. I'd imagine there'd be some unofficial copies here and there for that reason.

I recall the copy I saw in that store being sold for like 200 bucks, and this was back in like 2005

s-l225.jpg

VHS_2-450x257.jpg

Rumik World! I used to have a lot of that stuff from the early days of anime in the US. First anime I ever saw was one called Fire Tripper.

MV5BMTcyMzQzNzcwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY1NDMyMQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

To this day I still vividly remember some of the scenes. I checked eBay and saw a couple copies but not like the one pictured which is what I had. Interesting that a lot of that stuff wound up on Laser Disc and Betamax.