UnevenEdge

Nobody needs to see samurai jack reruns this often!

They're pulling the same mistake they did with Attack on Titan and I'm afraid it's going to cost us dearly again.  Last week's block bombed badly in the ratings already.

It's a real waste.  They should've used that slot for a new show instead of just running Jack into the ground.

They're pulling the same mistake they did with Attack on Titan and I'm afraid it's going to cost us dearly again.  Last week's block bombed badly in the ratings already.

It's a real waste.  They should've used that slot for a new show instead of just running Jack into the ground.

i agree but it seems like they must have made some deal with Genndy or something

Well, I guess we'll see what happens. It DOES indeed look like they'll most likely leave Jack at the top for the rest of June though.

Maybe sanity will prevail somehow in July?

I wish they didn't seem so committed to this! They've made promos advertising the rerun, Facebook reminds us constantly to rewatch Season 5 at 11 on Saturday, they made a lineup promo with it, etc ...

They need to see a trend of low viewership for Jack bombing the rest of the night. I hate to say this, but I wouldn't be upset if the ratings got worse so that they can make this move sooner rather than later. Failing that, we have another opportunity to switch it up after the July 1st marathon

Seriously, why the hell is everyone so butthurt about a simple rerun?  If you don't want to watch it again, then just tune out until 11:30.  Christ this fanbase is terrible.

Personally, I don't mind it. There's a bunch of things I'd usually rather be doing at 10 PM on a Saturday than watching TV, and I don't watch the Family Guy rerun hour. That said, that is just me. Reruns other than Family Guy and other McFarlane shows have been proven lately to lose viewers, so it just would make more sense for a premiere to be directly following the Family Guy hour than 2 reruns. Hopefully they do shake it up somehow in July!

Seriously, why the hell is everyone so butthurt about a simple rerun?  If you don't want to watch it again, then just tune out until 11:30.  Christ this fanbase is terrible.

I don't care personally about the rerun, just the terrible ratings that follow. Starting Toonami with a rerun has done damage before. It already has been worse since It started with the Super rerun at 11:30.

Also, if you can't get enough Jack Season 5. Starting on Sunday July 2nd, AS will run go through another run at 8 and 8:30!

DeMarco is NOT in charge of programming! He really has very little say in what timeslot programs end up in. He might be able to suggest a range though!

I'm sure he's just as against this as we are. He just can't do anything about it.  He can't be happy with these ratings. It's great that Toonami had a successful original, but it needs a rest.

Samurai Jack reruns are taking over Adult Swim!  The logical response would be to burn down Williams Street and lynch Jason DeMarco!  Obviously this is how we solve this incredibly important dilemma!

Seriously?  This needed a thread? 

We don't know if DeMarco made the decision to run SJ at the top of the block himself, but given how much it's airing on [as], I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in it.  If the ratings keep faltering I doubt they'll keep it at the top of the block.  More than likely it will go to either 2:30 or 3:00 and everything else would just move up.  Or we would just lose 11:00.  Either way, the block probably isn't going to suffer much for it.

Samurai Jack reruns are taking over Adult Swim!  The logical response would be to burn down Williams Street and lynch Jason DeMarco!  Obviously this is how we solve this incredibly important dilemma!

We don't know if DeMarco made the decision to run SJ at the top of the block himself, but given how much it's airing on [as], I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand in it.  If the ratings keep faltering I doubt they'll keep it at the top of the block.  More than likely it will go to either 2:30 or 3:00 and everything else would just move up.  Or we would just lose 11:00.  Either way, the block probably isn't going to suffer much for it.

HERESY! YOU WILL BURN FOR YOUR BELIEFS YOU FILTHY JACKAL! DEMARCO MUST FALL!

I'm not watching it.  I care because it's displacing what could be a new show.  Instead they are squandering the opening timeslot on a rerun and doing critical ratings damage that could cost us dearly like the last time they tried this stunt with Attack on Titan.

I dunno, they were stupid enough to leave Attack on Titan in place until the block got chopped in half.

Or instead of losing the 11:00pm timeslot due to their idiotic decision of putting a rerun there we could've had a new show.  Now we not only won't have a new show but will probably ultimately lose that timeslot due this ASA-level stupidity.

I dunno, they were stupid enough to leave Attack on Titan in place until the block got chopped in half.

Or instead of losing the 11:00pm timeslot due to their idiotic decision of putting a rerun there we could've had a new show.  Now we not only won't have a new show but will probably ultimately lose that timeslot due this ASA-level stupidity.

The only new show that's big enough to carry the block at 11:00 (that I see, anyway) would be FLCL.  I've heard a theory that SJ rerunning at 11 is just to hold the slot for FLCL, but if it's not that, then I doubt we'll keep 11:00 anyway.  Once they move SJ either down the block or off it we'll probably see the 11:00 slot go.

Yes, but WHY is that the only other option? Why could they not show some backbone and USE the 11 PM timeslot for cable original programming? SOMETHING that would make a good lead-in to Dragon Ball Super--wait, I've got it--LUPIN! Or if not Lupin, then maybe gone after Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga? That would have done well at 11; instead, looks like it will wind up on Hulu.

Point is, 11 should be a marquee timeslot for a fresh new show. Even if FLCL is coming, it's not like they couldn't play up a "mid-season finale" before FLCL interrupts!

Yes, but WHY is that the only other option? Why could they not show some backbone and USE the 11 PM timeslot for cable original programming? SOMETHING that would make a good lead-in to Dragon Ball Super--wait, I've got it--LUPIN! Or if not Lupin, then maybe gone after Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga? That would have done well at 11; instead, looks like it will wind up on Hulu.

Point is, 11 should be a marquee timeslot for a fresh new show. Even if FLCL is coming, it's not like they couldn't play up a "mid-season finale" before FLCL interrupts!

Lupin and BE don't have much mainstream appeal.  They won't lead the block with them, it would be ratings suicide.

Titan could probably score as well as Super, why not lead the block with it?

You might be right. But Lupin would at least seem to be more comedy than action, something that was once considered an asset for an early show in the block (remember Space Dandy?) You could also argue (and rightfully so) that Super is equal parts silly, low-brained comedy and eye-popping action. I think Lupin would have bridged that gap well. Maybe not BE though.

Saying we'll lose the 11:00 slot because of Jack reruns doing badly really doesn't even matter when the only other choice they could have made was to remove the slot immediately after it finished. -_'

That's not the only choice they could have made.  Unlikely as it may have been, they could have used 11:00 PM to premiere some new show, rather than rerunning Samurai Jack.  My guess is that there was nothing available for them that they felt confident could so well enough at 11:00.  The only thing I could have seen working would have been Dragon Ball Super, I don't know if they would have helped ratings much anyway.  Perhaps they thought that rerunning Samurai Jack was a different situation than rerunning Attack on Titan.  After all, AoT had been out subbed for a while by the time Toonami finally got around to it.  Jack had only finished it's first run entirely.  Maybe they thought there would be enough carry over.  That's really the only explanation I can muster for as to why Samurai Jack is rerunning at the top of the block, other than just being a placeholder for a coming show.

That's not the only choice they could have made.  Unlikely as it may have been, they could have used 11:00 PM to premiere some new show, rather than rerunning Samurai Jack.  My guess is that there was nothing available for them that they felt confident could so well enough at 11:00.  The only thing I could have seen working would have been Dragon Ball Super, I don't know if they would have helped ratings much anyway.  Perhaps they thought that rerunning Samurai Jack was a different situation than rerunning Attack on Titan.  After all, AoT had been out subbed for a while by the time Toonami finally got around to it.  Jack had only finished it's first run entirely.  Maybe they thought there would be enough carry over.  That's really the only explanation I can muster for as to why Samurai Jack is rerunning at the top of the block, other than just being a placeholder for a coming show.

I'll tell you what I believe would work just as well as or better than reruns of Samurai Jack appear to have so far at 11 PM:

[drumroll]

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Part 3 A.K.A. Stardust Crusaders

Why? Because it seems to have that "it" factor along with Dragon Ball Super for a power hour, and it contains more of what JoJo is known for, i.e.:

The Stands

Also, the annoying bad British accents will be gone, so if boosting AOT S2 to 11 PM with only a few episodes left is a stretch, perhaps they'd take a chance on dub premieres (beyond the first 3 episodes, of course) of the next season of JoJo? Also, no excuse not to play full OP/ED at that time, which of course the latter is The Bangles' "Walk Like An Egyptian!"

What would you like YOUR Toonami to be like on July 29th? Here's what I'd like mine to be:

11 PM JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders

11:30 Dragon Ball Super

12 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters

12:30 Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2

1 AM Hunter x Hunter

1:30 Lupin the 3rd

2 AM Naruto: Shippuden

2:30 Tokyo Ghoul Root A

3 AM Samurai Jack (later AOT S2)

3:30 Ghost In The Shell

Gotta get back, back to the back, Samurai Jack!

i mean for me the logical step here would have been to simply move everything up a slot and place samurai jack at the end of the block but i guess that's too easy.

Except then you disrupt every single show airing on the block and risk some viewer attrition from those who don't follow schedule changes that closely.

Look, at the end of the day, if there weren't any other big pick-ups worthy of that slot, why not rerun Jack there?  It's summer, when TV ratings are traditionally down regardless of what you do.  Honestly I have to question the correlation vs. causation of any sort of block-leading reruns actively hurting ratings across the whole block.  If people were already watching the other shows, they're going to continue watching them regardless of what airs at 11.  Honestly I think it's more likely that what we're seeing now is a regression to the mean from the surge of new viewers from the super-promoted Jack premieres.  You lose those excess eyeballs, and viewership drops no matter what's airing.

What we're also seeing is a drop in viewers since Toonami isn't led into by extremely high rated Family Guy. When it was airing at 11:30 last year and in 2015, it was normal for it to hit 1.7-1.8 million viewers ensuring DBZ Kai would start the night at 1.4-1.5 million and it would go down from there. If Family Guy did 1.9-2 million we'd usually keep millions until at least 1:30 AM.

Now we have a few changes:

-Family Guy is airing in the 10 hour where it doesn't do as well

-AS Viewership is down

-General I'm compatibility between the Family Guy -Jack-DB audiences

-Super being a rerun from 8pm and more of that audience watching it there

There seemed to be more compatibility between the FG and DB audiences even when it led into Super

I feel if Super actually premiered at 11:30 it would give Toonami a better start, but a bad deal was made. Jack was an anomaly that had its own audience that was uninterested in the anime that followed as well, so despite it getting mega ratings the rest of Toonami didn't thrive since the anime shows no longer had the benefit of being led into by the more compatible Family Guy. I think Toonami would actually benefit by moving back to midnight with Family Guy in the 11:00 hour. But if AS has originals that they want to run in the 11:00 hour or the Super deal forbids it, then this is what we're stuck with. The ratings are not going to ever be at prior levels again with the current setup unless you have a show at 11 that can hold or gain Family Guy as well as stick around for DB. FLCL will not be that show as it's a little out there.

The only new show that's big enough to carry the block at 11:00 (that I see, anyway) would be FLCL.  I've heard a theory that SJ rerunning at 11 is just to hold the slot for FLCL, but if it's not that, then I doubt we'll keep 11:00 anyway.  Once they move SJ either down the block or off it we'll probably see the 11:00 slot go.

What the hell is FLCL going to carry?  It's niche and weird as hell.  Sure it's going to be a "Toonami Original" but I don't see it doing gangbusters ratings much less acting as an effective anchor.

But they're rerunning it on several different days.  Not only that, but they ran the same episode in the first slot 2 weeks in a row, on account of that marathon.  So people probably bailed because of that, or thinking they were doing another marathon.  So really it was a stupid decision on many levels.

i mean for me the logical step here would have been to simply move everything up a slot and place samurai jack at the end of the block but i guess that's too easy.

What Top_Gun said is exactly what would happen, and has precedence since they tried moving the block up before and it screwed up the ratings, leading to them moving it back.  Everyone is used to watching the shows where they are.  It's not smart to move the whole block up or do big schedule shake-ups in general.  Best to just add/delete shows/slots on either end, if you want the block to start or end at different times.  So yeah that's a terrible idea.

But they're rerunning it on several different days.  Not only that, but they ran the same episode in the first slot 2 weeks in a row, on account of that marathon.  So people probably bailed because of that, or thinking they were doing another marathon.  So really it was a stupid decision on many levels.

I'm not attempting to defend the decision, but merely trying to justify it.  There's got to be a reason for it, even if the reason is just that they were lazy. 

I mean, didn't we only get the slot because of Jack? (Genuinely asking, I don't remember that far back.) I wouldn't be surprised if AS told them to either use the slot for something they own outright or not at all, which would limit them to Jack and...half of Big O, I guess?

Sidenote, give Big O the end rerun slot next.

I mean, didn't we only get the slot because of Jack? (Genuinely asking, I don't remember that far back.) I wouldn't be surprised if AS told them to either use the slot for something they own outright or not at all, which would limit them to Jack and...half of Big O, I guess?

_quot_life_in_the_fast_lane_quot__ai_ad_by_igpx.jpg

It's time finally for IGPX to claim the coveted 11pm slot

As much as I would love watching IGPX again... that's honestly a terrible idea. ::]::

I dunno, there might be some merit in it, especially since the new DVD/BD release has recently come out.

I mean yeah, it's a terrible idea and everything, but it WAS on Toonami over 2 years ago. Samurai Jack was on Toonami--well it hasn't missed a week at 11 PM since April 1st.

Thank goodness that changes on July 1st with the AOT S2 marathon!

While we're on the subject of IGPX, I believe its deal might have been a bit more complicated than we think. It's the only Co-Production that has not yet appeared on the Weekly Marathon Stream (hell, even Big O Season 1 showed up accidentally on a Monday afternoon!). So I'd say its chances of popping up anywhere on the block again are slim to none.

Or at least for extremely hyped world premiere shows. This is why I don't think Dragon Ball Super will ever take 11:00, at least outside of a marathon.

Plus IGPX's last run was cut very short with the entire end of the block for that matter

It was pretty much used as a three week buffer show

Both IGPX and the Cowboy Bebop remaster, though I'm sure there were enough people who didn't care so much about that one...

In all honesty, it would be nice if Toonami could get another hour at the end of the block just to rerun some of the older anime that Adult Swim still has the rights to.  Sure, that's another hour to program and make bumps for, but Toonami hasn't really been updating bumps recently anyway, so I think they could manage.  And it would be better to at least air those shows than just let them sit and stagnate.

Well they weren't going to play Jack in a shitty timeslot, so yeah that one was added to air it.  But we've had that timeslot before.  Last time it was lost because they reran Attack on Titan immediately after it ended, cratering the ratings.  See a pattern here?  So, something else could definitely air there, if it's a big enough show, but if they play reruns we're probably just going to lose it again.

Both IGPX and the Cowboy Bebop remaster, though I'm sure there were enough people who didn't care so much about that one...

In all honesty, it would be nice if Toonami could get another hour at the end of the block just to rerun some of the older anime that Adult Swim still has the rights to.  Sure, that's another hour to program and make bumps for, but Toonami hasn't really been updating bumps recently anyway, so I think they could manage.  And it would be better to at least air those shows than just let them sit and stagnate.

Stagnate?  Those shows were stagnated on TV.  That's what lead to all those timeslots being lost, running the ASA dead horses into the ground.  Let them stay in the vault.

Stagnate?  Those shows were stagnated on TV.  That's what lead to all those timeslots being lost, running the ASA dead horses into the ground.  Let them stay in the vault.

Because that's obviously the best use of those shows, right Ben?

Toonami isn't going to get any more slots for premieres or newer shows.  If the block is going to expand out, then they're gonna do it at the end of the block, and they're going to fill it with older shows.  The block stagnated last time because they had far too many of the older shows running at once, and most of them hadn't been given a break since god knows when.  That was two years ago.  As long as they don't air every one of the shows at the same time, and give them a while to break, then they'll be fine.

And even if they aren't, what's going to happen?  The lose those slots and Toonami is back to where it is now.