UnevenEdge

Nobody needs to see samurai jack reruns this often!

To anybody worried about the ratings, Toonami already survived this kind of dumb decision making when they aired Attack on Titan reruns a while ago.

Do I agree that it's unnecessary? Yes, I do. But I do think that--like several people have suggested already--Williams Street/Adult Swim have a hand in this decision. Besides, I think this is also partly because we already have Ghost in the Shell taking up the 3:00 AM slot, and that show hasn't quite finished yet. Then again, they could just pull the plug on it like they did with the Parasyte reruns back in November/December.

Honestly it's been long enough now that I think an HD Bebop run at the end of the block would work out just fine, if they still have the rights to it.

It seems that they do!

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/cowboy-bebop/

But who knows if they still will in February/March 2018 after they get through 2nd Gig? Of course, they could just switch Ghost out for Bebop after Season 1, but I'd say AOT S2 has first dibs on that timeslot, UNLESS they actually want to save it for next year right before Season 3 arrives!

Honestly it's been long enough now that I think an HD Bebop run at the end of the block would work out just fine, if they still have the rights to it.

No.  They ran it to death for 10 years.  It needs to stay gone for 10 years.  Or maybe 5, at least. 

I mean, fuck, I've got all these shows memorized, and I wasn't even watching the reruns habitually right up until the end like some people around here.

Because that's obviously the best use of those shows, right Ben?

Toonami isn't going to get any more slots for premieres or newer shows.  If the block is going to expand out, then they're gonna do it at the end of the block, and they're going to fill it with older shows.  The block stagnated last time because they had far too many of the older shows running at once, and most of them hadn't been given a break since god knows when.  That was two years ago.  As long as they don't air every one of the shows at the same time, and give them a while to break, then they'll be fine.

And even if they aren't, what's going to happen?  The lose those slots and Toonami is back to where it is now.

Put them on the stream, if they aren't already.  They can justify having them (let's face it Demarco probably cuddles with the Bebop tapes when he tucks in for the night), without doing any damage to the block. 

Last time we lost the opening slot and half the block, a double blow due to the double dopiness of having Attack on Titan reruns lead the block and running those ASA shows into the ground at the end, which had been going on long before Toonami even came back!  How much more will we lose this time if they make another such colossal blunder with the ratings so bad the premieres are now doing the kind of numbers those ASA dead horses were doing back then?!  Toonami was the last ditch effort to save anime on Adult Swim.  If it's starting to do this bad now...

It's not a good idea to try anything else that will only make things worse content and ratings-wise.

Put them on the stream, if they aren't already.  They can justify having them (let's face it Demarco probably cuddles with the Bebop tapes when he tucks in for the night), without doing any damage to the block. 

Last time we lost the opening slot and half the block, a double blow due to the double dopiness of having Attack on Titan reruns lead the block and running those ASA shows into the ground at the end, which had been going on long before Toonami even came back!  How much more will we lose this time if they make another such colossal blunder with the ratings so bad the premieres are now doing the kind of numbers those ASA dead horses were doing back then?!  Toonami was the last ditch effort to save anime on Adult Swim.  If it's starting to do this bad now...

It's not a good idea to try anything else that will only make things worse content and ratings-wise.

If Toonami were to get end of the block slots for reruns, then it wouldn't effect the rest of the block much at all.  Think about it: if a rerun is at the top of the block, then that will cause lesser ratings the whole way down.  Thats why things like SJ reruns at the top slot are bad.  If the reruns are at the end of the block, then they won't effect anything before it.  As long as they rerun shows like Bebop and GITS at the end, then it would be harmless.  If they do well, Toonami keeps the slots.  If not, Toonami loses them and goes back to where they are now.  See what I'm saying?  The only real argument against it is for people who don't want to watch them.

Okay, that's bullshit, not even I'm that autistic.

I have nearly Elephantine memory and they played those shows like 80 billion times, so yeah, it's possible.  And like I said I got sick of them and stopped watching them a good several years before they finally put them out of their misery.

If Toonami were to get end of the block slots for reruns, then it wouldn't effect the rest of the block much at all.  Think about it: if a rerun is at the top of the block, then that will cause lesser ratings the whole way down.  Thats why things like SJ reruns at the top slot are bad.  If the reruns are at the end of the block, then they won't effect anything before it.  As long as they rerun shows like Bebop and GITS at the end, then it would be harmless.  If they do well, Toonami keeps the slots.  If not, Toonami loses them and goes back to where they are now.  See what I'm saying?  The only real argument against it is for people who don't want to watch them.

Are you insinuating that if we had more free slots at the end that Adult Swim could put Samurai Jack back there instead of having it torpedo the block at the beginning?  You know they'd never do that to their precious Jack, especially after they financed it!  Gotta get all the mileage out of it we can, even at the expense of the block!  Plus, it got good ratings the first time, sure it will get good ratings if we play it again immediately after it just ended herbaderp!  And if you want to call those slots throwaway, I'd rather they do something like put a "too old" show, there.  It'd be harmless if it didn't do well.  As it is, most fans won't find out about classic anime unless they seek it out.  Of course, those shows cost money, even if they are ancient, and these vault shows don't. 

Still, fuck those shows.  I'm not going to let them off the hook for running those shows into the ground any time soon.  This wouldn't have been such an issue if they handn't lost the rights to like 7 shows of their library in one year way back when.  And since then they've switched to a model where they don't even maintain a library.  It's wam bam thank you ma'am!  In a perfect world, we'd get as many premieres as we currently get, and we'd have slots at the end to rerun them, careful to rotate them so nothing gets played umpteen times in a row. 

The way it is now, if someone is a new fan to the block or missed a show for whatever reason, they never get a second chance to see them, or maybe watch them again, if they were so inclined.  You'd have to seek them out via a streaming service and watch them on your own, with no one to discuss them with.  That is, of course, if you knew the show existed in the first place, much less that it aired on the block.  Oh, but here's Bebop for the 80 billionth time!  Of course, I understand the budget is limited.  Still, bleh.

Speaking of Samurai Jack reruns, they've taken over the weekly Marathon stream this week (6/19-6/23). I'm assuming it will be 1-5 in through Wednesday night at 8, and then 6-10 from then through Friday night at 8. And GUESS WHAT we get on the weekend stream after that?? Yep, that's right. The SAMURAI JACK MARATHON from 5/27/17! So if you're sick of the Samurai Jack conclusion that has had between FOUR and SIX airings on [as] TV, this just isn't your week!

The last time we've seen anything like this was (Guess what?) ONE-PUNCH MAN! It got what I believe was its last run on the Stream back in September for Episodes 1-5 Monday-Wednesday and 6-10 from Wednesday-Friday, directly before its marathon of Episodes 1-7 which aired on Toonami on Labor Day weekend streamed. The time frame, I believe, was September 26th through October 3rd.

Speaking of Samurai Jack reruns, they've taken over the weekly Marathon stream this week (6/19-6/23). I'm assuming it will be 1-5 in through Wednesday night at 8, and then 6-10 from then through Friday night at 8. And GUESS WHAT we get on the weekend stream after that?? Yep, that's right. The SAMURAI JACK MARATHON from 5/27/17! So if you're sick of the Samurai Jack conclusion that has had between FOUR and SIX airings on [as] TV, this just isn't your week!

The last time we've seen anything like this was (Guess what?) ONE-PUNCH MAN! It got what I believe was its last run on the Stream back in September for Episodes 1-5 Monday-Wednesday and 6-10 from Wednesday-Friday, directly before its marathon of Episodes 1-7 which aired on Toonami on Labor Day weekend streamed. The time frame, I believe, was September 26th through October 3rd.

I think it should run for a 3rd time at the top of the block, we really want to make sure everybody has seen it! ;D ;D

I have nearly Elephantine memory and they played those shows like 80 billion times, so yeah, it's possible.  And like I said I got sick of them and stopped watching them a good several years before they finally put them out of their misery.

...I still think it's complete bullshit. :|

No.  They ran it to death for 10 years.  It needs to stay gone for 10 years.  Or maybe 5, at least. 

I mean, fuck, I've got all these shows memorized, and I wasn't even watching the reruns habitually right up until the end like some people around here.

Shockingly enough, most people want to watch things they like more than once every half-decade.

Seriously ben, at some point you need to start acknowledging that you're not neurotypical, and that you can't accurately speak for those who are.  That may sound cruel, but it's still true.

Shockingly enough, most people want to watch things they like more than once every half-decade.

Seriously ben, at some point you need to start acknowledging that you're not neurotypical, and that you can't accurately speak for those who are.  That may sound cruel, but it's still true.

Ranlsa and her deranged cohorts watched these shows ad nauseum for eons and flipped out when they got removed, but ultimately continued to set up "watch parties" on their own.  That's a sickness right there.  So yeah, I stopped watching them after I got tired of them, as I said, many years before they were finally taken off.  So don't talk to me about neurotypical.  I'm downright mentally perfect compared to those rerun addicts.  Doesn't mean I wasn't tired of them being there and they weren't wasting airtime.  And as has been mentioned before, the shows weren't always run back to back to death.  They had more shows, staggered them, rotated them, etc.  In earlier times the reruns were handled much more logically and were much more tolerable.

...I still think it's complete bullshit. :|

It's the same way people know every line before its spoken in something like Star Wars or Rocky Horror Picture Show.  It's really not that difficult.  I can have Ghost in the Shell on in the background and know pretty much every scene and line before it happens.

Ranlsa and her deranged cohorts watched these shows ad nauseum for eons and flipped out when they got removed, but ultimately continued to set up "watch parties" on their own.  That's a sickness right there.  So yeah, I stopped watching them after I got tired of them, as I said, many years before they were finally taken off.  So don't talk to me about neurotypical.  I'm downright mentally perfect compared to those rerun addicts.  Doesn't mean I wasn't tired of them being there and they weren't wasting airtime.  And as has been mentioned before, the shows weren't always run back to back to death.  They had more shows, staggered them, rotated them, etc.  In earlier times the reruns were handled much more logically and were much more tolerable.

You're not "mentally perfect" compared to anyone, ben.  If you want to watch the reruns, then watch the reruns.  If you don't, then don't.  Endlessly bitching (years after the fact, no less) at their very existence is just obsessive.

You're not "mentally perfect" compared to anyone, ben.  If you want to watch the reruns, then watch the reruns.  If you don't, then don't.  Endlessly bitching (years after the fact, no less) at their very existence is just obsessive.

You were trying to act like "most people", no one normal, surely, would watch those shows over and over and over.  Well, we had a group here that did, and the shows were getting hundreds of thousands of views, even if they weren't good enough to stay on the air, someone was watching that shit!  So, all I was doing was proving you wrong on that fact.  I'm not the one that raised the specter of additional reruns, and Bebop, no less.

Let's not forget those reruns killed ASA and nearly anime on Adult Swim in general if not for Toonami, and bifurcated Toonami itself.  So it's bit more of a matter of "don't watch if you don't like it!"  Reruns are a threat to the block, as we can see with Attack on Titan, Samurai Jack, and the ASA dead horses.

I said no such goddamn thing.  "More than once every 5 years" does not equate to "over and over and over."  Quit being disingenuous.  You have absolutely no evidence as to whether the people represented in the ratings were continuous repeat viewers, or individuals dropping in and out as they came across those particular airings.  It doesn't even matter either way, since enough time has passed since its last airing that a hypothetical run at the end of the block wouldn't do any harm, and indeed couldn't, as Starwind pointed out.

And the thing that really "killed" ASA was a lack of new acquisitions and promotion.  Those shows were only rerun that many times back then because there literally wasn't anything else [as] owned to air in those slots, and no budget to pick up multiple new acquisitions to fill them.  Neither of those issues is present with Toonami right now.  Again, blaming a single repeat run for "killing the ratings" is just asinine.

I said no such goddamn thing.  "More than once every 5 years" does not equate to "over and over and over."  Quit being disingenuous.  You have absolutely no evidence as to whether the people represented in the ratings were continuous repeat viewers, or individuals dropping in and out as they came across those particular airings.  It doesn't even matter either way, since enough time has passed since its last airing that a hypothetical run at the end of the block wouldn't do any harm, and indeed couldn't, as Starwind pointed out.

And the thing that really "killed" ASA was a lack of new acquisitions and promotion.  Those shows were only rerun that many times back then because there literally wasn't anything else [as] owned to air in those slots, and no budget to pick up multiple new acquisitions to fill them.  Neither of those issues is present with Toonami right now.  Again, blaming a single repeat run for "killing the ratings" is just asinine.

Are you really going to act like you didn't see my typo there and just act like I was arguing the opposite of what I was arguing?  And you call me disingenuous.  As a response to your earlier "more than once every 5 months!" nonsense, I was pointing out the people on here who habitually watched the shit over and over and over and over.  Obviously I left out a negative in that sentence.  Why the hell would I point out Ranlsa and her ilk but to disprove your notion that most people don't watch something more than once every 5 years?  Hell, I know plenty of people who have favorite movies they probably watch at least once a year, if not more.  I've got a friend that has Invader Zim and Aqua Teen DVDs which he obviously watches a decent amount since I don't remember most of the references he brings up these days.  Been years since I watched those shows.  Point is, there's plenty of people that have favorite stuff they watch fairly frequently.  Of course, I put a big difference between people who will obsessively watch it on TV and those who own it or watch it on a stream from time to time at their own convenience. 

Oh, I don't think enough time has passed.  Lest you forget, reruns of movies from a year ago did shit ratings in the second month of movies!

Umm, if it was different people all the time the ratings wouldn't have kept decreasing.  So obviously there was a recurring audience aware they were going to keep running the same shit into the ground and they got tired of it.  If there were a vast constant rotation of viewers like you claim the shows' would have kept up their ratings.

Well yes that is what lead to that situation but the point remains that if you run shit into the ground, for whatever the reason, you are going to pay the price.  I dunno' there's some pretty morbid incompetence right now to be airing Jack at the top of the block!  Regardless of the cause these reruns are like iron being formed in a star.  They know what happened last time with Attack on Titan.  Why the fuck would they repeat it?!  How stupid can they possibly be?!

...I said that people DO watch things more than once every five years.  Christ, can you not even comprehend basic sentences?

And if you really can't see the difference between rerunning a show everyone had already seen fansubbed a year or two earlier, and rerunning a super-hyped and heavily-watched prestige project, I don't really know what to tell you at this point.  [as] shelled out quite a bit to produce that final season, and they're going to get as much return on their investment as they possibly can.  That's an absolute no-brainer.

...I said that people DO watch things more than once every five years.  Christ, can you not even comprehend basic sentences?

And if you really can't see the difference between rerunning a show everyone had already seen fansubbed a year or two earlier, and rerunning a super-hyped and heavily-watched prestige project, I don't really know what to tell you at this point.  [as] shelled out quite a bit to produce that final season, and they're going to get as much return on their investment as they possibly can.  That's an absolute no-brainer.

*goes back to original post*  Hm.  I must have misread that.  To be fair, I've been up all night and all day.  Trying to get my sleep schedule straightened out so I'm not pure nocturnal.  Probably should've waited to go on the boards until after I caught up on my sleep.

Lol at you thinking there's a vast overlap between subbies and casual Toonami viewers.  And really, fansubs are still a thing?  Oh, I know why they're doing it.  They're so predictably inept it's sad.  Actually, I shouldn't say that, for some fucking reason I thought they wouldn't do something this stupid and disappointing.  Don't know why I had that faith in them!  For some reason I thought they would have the sense to not repeat the Attack on Titan incident!  The logic there was also HUR THIS GOT GOOD RATINGS AND COST A LOT LET'S GET OUR MONEY'S WORTH AND WATCH IT STILL GET GOOD RATINGS DUUUUR.  And they've got no brain indeed if they thought this was going to work.  Reruns are reruns.  People don't care if Demarco sold his kidney to help finance this thing.  They don't want to watch something they just fucking watched.  They're killing the rest of the block with their insistence on HERBADERP GET OUR MONEY'S WORTH HUR HUR.  It would make more sense to run it beside the prime time Super airing or another night, instead of cannibalizing the block with it.

Well, at least Samurai Jack's 3rd episode of this rerun actually did about 1.1 million. Maybe it will be OK leading the block for a while after all?

And I have confirmed the stream advanced to 6-10, if you care.

I'm not convinced. It did a little better, but it's not worthy to lead the block.